Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin North Quays - now double bus lane

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The debate on ticketing has now been moved to it's own thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057781198

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Was on the north quays this morning at 6.35a.m. Mental busy til I got past O'Connell bridge. Looks like I've have to leave 20 mins earlier in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

mfceiling wrote: »
    Was on the north quays this morning at 6.35a.m. Mental busy til I got past O'Connell bridge. Looks like I've have to leave 20 mins earlier in the morning.

Driving or by bus?

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Driving or by bus?

Driving...30 mins earlier this morning and I flew along.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

mfceiling wrote: »
    Driving...30 mins earlier this morning and I flew along.

Which will last about a week till everyone else has the same idea. Is there no alternative way for you to get to work?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Which will last about a week till everyone else has the same idea. Is there no alternative way for you to get to work?

Look at the time he posted. No buses would have been running that early in the morning unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Look at the time he posted. No buses would have been running that early in the morning unfortunately.

Really?

25a starts from 05:35
    25b starts from 05:46
    39/39a starts from 05:20
    67 starts at 05:25

There certainly are early buses coming down the Quays.

It just depends on where the poster is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Really?

25a starts from 05:35
    25b starts from 05:46
    39/39a starts from 05:20
    67 starts at 05:25

There certainly are early buses coming down the Quays.

It just depends on where the poster is coming from.

Beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Such a disingenuous graphic above as it has 60 people going into 60 cars.

In Dublin city centre why not just ban cars, including taxis, and leave the streets clear for people on bicycles & buses?

I have been observing for the last couple of weeks and if you watch the cars along the quays, 85-90% only have 1 person in them.

Too right they should be restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

In Dublin city centre why not just ban cars, including taxis, and leave the streets clear for people on bicycles & buses?

I suspect banning all private cars from the city centre is the main objective and will happen eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I suspect banning all private cars from the city centre is the main objective and will happen eventually.

Congestion charge I can see happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Wheety wrote: »
    I have been observing for the last couple of weeks and if you watch the cars along the quays, 85-90% only have 1 person in them.

Too right they should be restricted.

Cars with 3-4 occupants should be allowed in bus lanes, may encourage more car pooling, in the U.S they have dedicated car pool lanes.

papu wrote: »
    Cars with 3-4 occupants should be allowed in bus lanes, may encourage more car pooling, in the U.S they have dedicated car pool lanes.

How are you going to police that though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

devnull wrote: »

With police...

givyjoe wrote: »
    With police...

I mean do you expect to pay police to just look into peoples cars all day long?

It's never going to happen because it's not practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I mean do you expect to pay police to just look into peoples cars all day long?

It's never going to happen because it's not practical.

How is it policed anywhere else in the world?! How is it not practical to have one or two guards placed along one of the busiest roads in the city centre? Visible presence = deterrent.

Move the guards standing at the GPO round the corner or from some other waste of money duties.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Congestion charge I can see happening.

Very unlikely. Not very Irish. You would just have the rich continuing to drive into the city as you do in London and Irish people really don't like that and I believe the planners and politicians are aware of that.

Instead I expect continuing restrictions on cars until they eventually push them out of the city.

Usually only used on mega wide multi lane interstates/highways, not in congested city centers. Might be an idea for suburban bus lanes, but would be hard to enforce.

Interestingly EV's are also allowed to use these car pool lanes, with even one passenger in them. Which is one reason Tesla is so popular there.

I've about 3 grands worth of tools in my van including ladders. Could be in East Wall this morning and maybe firhouse this afternoon so public transport wouldn't be a runner....plus I start most mornings at 6.30 or 7a.m so the bus etc isn't much good to me.
    To be honest at the weekends I will take the bus or luas if I'm heading into town or going for a day trip with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Not a hope. Why would you encourage cars to use a precious resource?

A double-decker carrying near 80 people takes as much space as two full cars carrying 8-10. Why would we do it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

because that's a fourfold increase on the current average car capacity. there's an argument to be made - not saying which way i'd vote yet - that on the quays, the left lane should be buses only, and the middle lane buses and multiple occupancy vehicles, and the right lane for cars with only one or two people in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

because that's a fourfold increase on the current average car capacity. there's an argument to be made - not saying which way i'd vote yet - that on the quays, the left lane should be buses only, and the middle lane buses and multiple occupancy vehicles, and the right lane for cars with only one or two people in them.

If the powers that be cannot (or will not) resource the traffic corps to enforce the current rules, I can see that middle lane becoming an opportunity for many drivers to sneak in. That's Ireland for you.

Personally I would be against it. The mindset of car drivers needs to be changed, this would only be a backward step IMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Driving from N4 Woodies flyover to Pearse starting off at 7.15 in morning. How long would one expect to need to get there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Driving from N4 Woodies flyover to Pearse starting off at 7.15 in morning. How long would one expect to need to get there?

22 - 55 minutes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

traffic was very heavy in places this evening cycling home - however, the closest i got to the quays was crossing the east link. there seemed to be a fire somewhere in the city (maybe ringsend?) around 3:30/3:45ish. strand road towards ringsend was much heavier than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 PaddyRussell

hmmm wrote: »
    You have lots of choice - it's your choice to live in the city centre while working well outside it, and it's your choice to drive down the quays rather than taking the tunnel.

I bought my house years ago when I worked in the city centre. My line of work is few and far between so I must go where I can.

I have tried alternative routes and have yet to venture down the quays on my way home. Im going a lot of different routes if Im honest. Macken St is a no no. Its crazy at times and I must try and avoid tolls if I am to have any reasonable standard of living!

What are the quays like from Four Courts to IFSC from 5:00pm-6:30pm this week in comparison to July?

Deedsie wrote: »
    Can I ask, as someone who does actually need their own personal mode of transport for their day to day needs. How do you feel about these changes? Like are you annoyed more at the council/luas/bus users or at people who continue to drive in when there are other options available to them and increasing congestion?

I normally get on the road as early as possible so it doesn't really affect me...going home can be a pain. Public transport doesn't really suit everyone so people will have to drive. It's a nonsense say living in blanchardstown and working in tallaght...changing buses and having to go in to town to come back out again...that's why you'd need to drive.

I suppose they have to encourage people to use the transport in the city so needs must.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

mfceiling wrote:
    . It's a nonsense say living in blanchardstown and working in tallaght...changing buses and having to go in to town to come back out again...that's why you'd need to drive.

Blanch Shopping centre to Sq Tallaght as 2 recognisable points is 20km, that's about a 45 minute cycle... Which is similar to me cycling from Tallaght to Blackrock, which has no direct bus either. The cycle is faster than driving with schools back, and infinitely more enjoyable than crawling along at 10kmh in the car.

It's mad that there are no proper radial public transport links, I think they would be onto a winner taking the right hand lanes of m50 and putting in luas lines with bus/luas/train interconnecting stations at all current bridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭dowlingm

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/07/14/motorist-charged-after-using-mannequin-as-passenger-to-drive-in-hov-lane.html
    [font=Georgia, Cambria, "Times New Roman", Times, serif]Police are warning drivers not to use mannequins as passengers to take advantage of carpool lanes after laying their latest charge.
    [/font]
    [font=Georgia, Cambria, "Times New Roman", Times, serif]A motorist was caught driving with a mannequin in the front passenger seat on the Highway 404 high-occupancy vehicle lane at around 9 a.m. Thursday, Ontario Provincial Police Sgt. Kerry Schmidt said.[/font]
    [font=Georgia, Cambria, "Times New Roman", Times, serif]“Officers were on patrol in the area and they were just watching traffic going by and they saw this car where it looked there was this passenger,” said Schmidt.[/font]
    [font=Georgia, Cambria, "Times New Roman", Times, serif]The officer on patrol, who himself was no dummy, realized that the “passenger” was merely plastic and brought the vehicle to a halt.[/font]

Grassey wrote: »
    Blanch Shopping centre to Sq Tallaght as 2 recognisable points is 20km, that's about a 45 minute cycle...
    true, but a cycle that long at that speed would necessitate a shower at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭veryangryman

That calculation is based on google maps settings prior to the new road layout

Advertisement