Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin North Quays - now double bus lane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

It's not nearly as bad as I expected, I come down Winetavern Street then over the bridge, I drive along in the middle lane until it merges into the single traffic lane then just after that there is a sign saying traffic for Jervis Street can go into the left lane just before Capel Street bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Grassey wrote: »
    Blanch Shopping centre to Sq Tallaght as 2 recognisable points is 20km, that's about a 45 minute cycle...
    true, but a cycle that long at that speed would necessitate a shower at the end.

Your average punter isn't going to do that in 45 mins, it would be 1hr+, and agree it would 100% need shower facilities at the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

That calculation is based on google maps settings prior to the new road layout

Nope, it uses recent real time data to calculate the delays, a minor change to road layout gets aggregated to average travel times..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

traffic was very heavy in places this evening cycling home - however, the closest i got to the quays was crossing the east link. there seemed to be a fire somewhere in the city (maybe ringsend?) around 3:30/3:45ish. strand road towards ringsend was much heavier than usual.

Problem in the tunnel I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Galadriel wrote:
    It's not nearly as bad as I expected, I come down Winetavern Street then over the bridge, I drive along in the middle lane until it merges into the single traffic lane then just after that there is a sign saying traffic for Jervis Street can go into the left lane just before Capel Street bridge.

Quays were fairly clear this morning considering it was the first day with full school traffic in the burbs.

I thought the changes had scared off some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

papu wrote: »
    Cars with 3-4 occupants should be allowed in bus lanes, may encourage more car pooling, in the U.S they have dedicated car pool lanes.

i disagree, bus lanes are for busses. the only other vehicles which should be able to use bus lanes are the emergency services (if they aren't all ready)
    trying to police your idea wouldn't be cost effective and would be resource intensive for little to no benefit.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Seaswimmer wrote: »

Crashes on the M50 and a broken down truck in the tunnel.

For people putting a Dublin address on their licence there should be a compulsory 1 hour training session on the M50 after they have passed their test. You can pass the test without one iota of how to drive on a motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

papu wrote: »
    Nope, it uses recent real time data to calculate the delays, a minor change to road layout gets aggregated to average travel times..

It also uses historical data to make predictions and sometimes seems to give more weight to those than what's going on currently. Traffic around Sandyford was very heavy on Monday and Tuesday but Google Maps got it's predictions spectacularly wrong, telling me my trip would take 12 minutes when it took over 30. Even midway through the trip when I was sitting in heavy traffic, it still told me all was well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Crashes on the M50 and a broken down truck in the tunnel.

For people putting a Dublin address on their licence there should be a compulsory 1 hour training session on the M50 after they have passed their test. You can pass the test without one iota of how to drive on a motorway
    It's no different in practice to 100kph or 120kph dual carriageway which most people will cover at some point in training or test...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

It's no different in practice to 100kph or 120kph dual carriageway which most people will cover at some point in training or test...

Well its 3 lanes as opposed to 2 (dual carriageway)

Strangely enough *most* Irish drivers don't have a problem with 2 lanes generally keeping left. However give us 3 lanes and all logic goes out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,630 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I went down the north quays yesterday around 4.30pm on a Dublin Bike. Thoughts as follows;

- The double-bus lane really needs to start earlier, further west by 1 or 2 bridges
    - The junctions at Jervis St and Liffey St are problematic. The routing for cyclists round the Jervis junction is very complex - ok for regular users of the route but difficult for one-off users. Some consideration should be given to cutting off or pedestrianising one or both of those.
    - Compliance with the bus lanes was good - just one cute hoor in a Porsche Cayenne who thinks it is a bus apparently
    - Good few coaches blocking up the cycle lanes along Custom House, just stopped, not waiting at bus stops

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Test and or training in Dublin is mostly at 50kph and a max of 60kph. Most of the test routes are all 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Deedsie wrote: »
    People from outside Dublin drive on the M50 too. There should at least be some theory aspect of 3 lane driving on the test or a national ad campaign on how to use a 3 lane motorway/dual carriageway. .

There has been one of these :) the ad is still shown periodically.

https://twitter.com/RSAIreland/status/811139025335701504

It's like everything else with regard to the ROTR, people just don't seem to care.

FWIW I'm fairly happy with the new Quays layout although there are one or two minor adjustments they could still make. It's been much quicker on the bike this week with less bottlenecks. The buses seem to be making better progress too although I guess we won't know the full extent of anything until colleges are back next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MacAttackJ

On my cycle in, I have started using the quays as an alternative to Dame Street and College Green and find the quays a much improved route (for cycling). I had tried the North Quays before and found them to be a disaster cycling so went the Dame Street route instead. The added benefit of the quays is that you cross straight over the O’Connell Street bridge Luas line as opposed to turning across it from Westmoreland Street. The South Quays are also now a much friendlier place (relative to before) for cyclists. I particularly like the way the new bus lane starts on Burgh Quay.

To my mind, the biggest remaining obstacles for myself are the near permanent use of Customs House Quay as a coach depot and the pinch point created by the bridge lifting towers further on by the CHQ building.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Well its 3 lanes as opposed to 2 (dual carriageway)

Strangely enough *most* Irish drivers don't have a problem with 2 lanes generally keeping left. However give us 3 lanes and all logic goes out the window.

N7 out to Naas is a 3 lane 100kph dual carriageway most of the way, so 3 lanes is far from being exclusive to the M50. However I agree that lane discipline is appalling on the M50, and probably worse than the N7 for the most part, but I suspect part of that is the orbital nature and much greater frequency of junctions making people wrongly think that lane 1 is (better suited, at least) for merging, and lane 2 is the driving lane. By contrast with the less frequent junctions on the N7, you're much less likely to have someone merging pile out on top of you, so staying left doesn't have the same "drawbacks".

• Registered Users Posts: 36,223 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

mfceiling wrote: »
    I've about 3 grands worth of tools in my van including ladders. Could be in East Wall this morning and maybe firhouse this afternoon so public transport wouldn't be a runner....plus I start most mornings at 6.30 or 7a.m so the bus etc isn't much good to me.
    To be honest at the weekends I will take the bus or luas if I'm heading into town or going for a day trip with the kids.

I'm sure we can eventually reach some sort of situation where commercial vehicles can get a permit to go into the City Centre to perform work as required, but all other private traffic can be expelled.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

MacAttackJ wrote: »
    To my mind, the biggest remaining obstacles for myself are the near permanent use of Customs House Quay as a coach depot and the pinch point created by the bridge lifting towers further on by the CHQ building.

Those bridges are listed; but I do wonder whether it'd be more useful to have them moved and restored to working order elsewhere; rather than stuck painted shut where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Passed walking Ormond Quay 3 times yesterday. The first/second times were at lunch and lane discipline was quite good, except for a couple of delivery vans using the bus lane. But there was a tour coach parked outside the Morrison that was sitting there at 1pm and still there at 1.45pm on my way back. Pretty bad form I thought to be blocking a bus lane for a full 45 minutes and probably even longer.

Then at 5.30pm passed the same route walking and all lane discipline had gone out the window. There was private cars in the bus lane all the way from Capel St bridge to as far as I could see. If Gardai were out it would have been like shooting fish in a barrel there were that many ignoring the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Passed walking Ormond Quay 3 times yesterday. The first/second times were at lunch and lane discipline was quite good, except for a couple of delivery vans using the bus lane. But there was a tour coach parked outside the Morrison that was sitting there at 1pm and still there at 1.45pm on my way back. Pretty bad form I thought to be blocking a bus lane for a full 45 minutes and probably even longer.

Then at 5.30pm passed the same route walking and all lane discipline had gone out the window. There was private cars in the bus lane all the way from Capel St bridge to as far as I could see. If Gardai were out it would have been like shooting fish in a barrel there were that many ignoring the bus lane.

The far left lane between Capel Street Bridge and Jervis St is for general traffic turning into Jervis St - you're not confusing that with the bus lane which is the middle lane along that stretch (the double bus lane only starts east of Jervis St)?

Otherwise you're right - they should all be ticketed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

LXFlyer- no it was the middle (bus) lane that was completely blocked circa 5.30pm yesterday. The left turning lane to Jervis was empty and free flowing but it seemed either some motorists couldnt follow the road markings or else they saw others using the bus lanes and figured there is safety in numbers so lets do it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Muahahaha wrote: »
    LXFlyer- no it was the middle (bus) lane that was completely blocked circa 5.30pm yesterday. The left turning lane to Jervis was empty and free flowing but it seemed either some motorists couldnt follow the road markings or else they saw others using the bus lanes and figured there is safety in numbers so lets do it too.

Thanks for the clarification - just checking as some people haven't twigged the inside lane arrangement!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭trellheim

I had the same problem on Friday with that Coach sitting at the Morrison it was just before Jervis st so out and in again while getting tooted at ( sure what can you do ) ? )

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

There seems to be a clarity issue, so, there might be a case for centre of road bus lanes to be marked in colour as happens in Belfast etc:

Bus-lanes-red-surfacing-between-solid-white-lines_0.JPG?itok=NOu6NGlJ

https://www.infrastructure-ni.gov.uk/articles/use-bus-lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I believe times should be painted on the road as there is a lack of signs but also too many at times also to actually make out times of use.

Be handy to have 7 to 7 or similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I believe times should be painted on the road as there is a lack of signs but also too many at times also to actually make out times of use.

Be handy to have 7 to 7 or similar

Or just make all bus lanes 24h therefore no confusion or paint 24h bus lanes in red and 7-7 in green. There would still be an issue with clarity if you painted times on ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

monument wrote: »
    There seems to be a clarity issue, so, there might be a case for centre of road bus lanes to be marked in colour as happens in Belfast etc:

https://www.infrastructure-ni.gov.uk/articles/use-bus-lanes

The last time we tried that it all washed off after 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Crazy busy traffic this morning I hear.

Continuous traffic from before Huston station right down to the Samuel beckett bridge.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Phil.x wrote: »

Continuous traffic from before Huston station right down to the Samuel beckett bridge.

I used to live on Parkgate Street and that's really not that abnormal.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

Phil.x wrote: »

There was a breakdown on Northwall Quay, before Samuel Beckett bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Yeah it was bumper-to-bumper this morning on Ormond Quay around 8.

One noticible problem on Ormond Quay since the new layout has been the inability of buses that are using Capel Bridge to get into the righthand lane .

A couple of days ago there was a 79 that had to access Capel Street bridge from the middle lane and then turn right, and this morning a coach held up the bus lane for a minute because it couldn't get into the right hand turn lane. cars and taxis were not letting the coach in.

Advertisement