Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin North Quays - now double bus lane

Options
  • 10-08-2017 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

A shock this morning. New road lineage from Ormond Quay to Batchelors Walk creates a double bus lane and one single traffic lane. This will cause mayhem when traffic comes back after summer holidays!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It's about time we stopped allocating the majority of road space to the least efficient user and whatever is left over to more efficient users of space.
    wait4me wrote: »
    This will cause mayhem when traffic comes back after summer holidays!
    It will improve the journeys of tens of thousands of bus users.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

A shock this morning. New road lineage from Ormond Quay to Batchelors Walk creates a double bus lane and one single traffic lane. This will cause mayhem when traffic comes back after summer holidays!

Great news for bus passengers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

The traffic coming back after the summer holidays will cause mayhem all by itself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

A shock??
    This has been discussed widely here for the last six months!!!

The changes do not become effective until Sunday August 20th.

And yes private car owners are going to find life much more difficult while public transport users get prioritised.

I suspect that once the trams start running we will see further changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

makes sense to prioritise public transport in the city centre to me. if you have ever come up the quays on a bus in heavy traffic, it is very frustrating and slow.

how may people going from A-B have to use the quays? I'd hazard a guess less than 1/2 have a final destination on the quays, so a different route would seem sensible - this will encourage people to use alternate routes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

If you think thats bad, wait till you see what they do with the lights.

If I were you, I would buy a bus pass. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

This will cause mayhem when traffic comes back after summer holidays!
    the acid test will be whether the throughput (in terms of passengers carried) will go up or down as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭StreetLight

So, will it be policed and enforced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Probably not. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Dublin City Centre needs automatic enforcement of bus lanes, yellow boxes and red lights (starting at luas junctions) using ANPR cameras. These could also be used to enforce tax, nct and insurance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Reduce availability of parking on the quays sounds like an easy answer to this one. They can be very effectively used as a means of routing traffic along the centre of the city. Might be too easy an answer though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

brokenarms wrote: »

I think that's going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back, along with the weaving on Ormond Quay Upper.

The arrival of the trams on testing from early September will be the acid test of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Reduce availability of parking on the quays sounds like an easy answer to this one. They can be very effectively used as a means of routing traffic along the centre of the city. Might be too easy an answer though.

A short journey along Ormond Quay this morning revealed that DCC had matched the shiny new Double Bus Lane,with equally shiny Car Parking Bays along the Quay Wall....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

brokenarms wrote: »

Or a taxi plate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Buses will move more freely on the quays but they will be delayed longer getting ONTO the quays especially any North or south travelling routes . Really just shifting the problem from one area to another imo. Buses don't suit everbodies travel needs there will always be a requirement for private cars.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I'd be very surprised. The existing bus lane is full of taxis, private cars and parked coaches every day of the week. No reason for them to stop using this new lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Get out of your car so

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

IE 222 wrote: »
    Buses don't suit everbodies travel needs there will always be a requirement for private cars.

Unless you think that every single person currently driving a private car into the city centre really needs to then that is irrelevant. There is still access for private cars. Perhaps those who do not actually need to drive, who I imagine make up the majority, will reconsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

Get out of your car so
    I don't travel by car into the city centre :rolleyes:;)

Peregrine wrote: »
    It's about time we stopped allocating the majority of road space to the least efficient user and whatever is left over to more efficient users of space.

And cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I noticed yesterday alot of cars still using the old lane (now a bus lane). The Gardai might need to use a bit of stick in the form of a few fines to encourage cars to stop using it. They'll eventually get the message.

• Advertisement

jon1981 wrote: »
    I noticed yesterday alot of cars still using the old lane (now a bus lane). The Gardai might need to use a bit of stick in the form of a few fines to encourage cars to stop using it. They'll eventually get the message.
    Apparently the new lane doesn't into effect until later this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

There are never that many buses on that particular Quay at once, it's usually tour buses illegally parked that cause the problem.
    I cycled along there twice this week and it's mayhem at the moment with taxi drivers darting every which way, it's a common enough place for taxis to get flagged in the evening and they all want to get ahead of each other.

I don't travel by car into the city centre :rolleyes:;)

So why are you concerned about it causing traffic mayhem?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There are never that many buses on that particular Quay at once, it's usually tour buses illegally parked that cause the problem.
    I cycled along there twice this week and it's mayhem at the moment with taxi drivers darting every which way, it's a common enough place for taxis to get flagged in the evening and they all want to get ahead of each other.

If its not a clearway already make it one, then get a taxi regulator who will revoke licences for the usual taxi skullduggery. That'll resolve it. Asking the gardai is pointless.

Its dangerous enough all ready for cyclists - this makes a dual carriageway for buses and taxis along the quays. Let's see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Its dangerous enough all ready for cyclists - this makes a dual carriageway for buses and taxis along the quays. Let's see :)

I don't cycle along the quays but I am curious as to how the double Pearse Street bus lane is working. That has been a double lane for a good while now so I would imagine the north quays will be similar when it starts. Anybody any direct experience of cycling or using the bus along that one.

Especially during peak times when I imagine traffic volumes would be similar.

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I don't cycle along the quays but I am curious as to how the double Pearse Street bus lane is working. That has been a double lane for a good while now so I would imagine the north quays will be similar when it starts. Anybody any direct experience of cycling or using the bus along that one.

Especially during peak times when I imagine traffic volumes would be similar.

I've found Pearse safer with the double lane . Buses and Taxis in general take the outside line or will have enough space to over take if in the inside lane

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭daheff

Peregrine wrote: »

Its about time we started adding to the total commuting capacity rather than reallocating what we have. We're getting to the stage where reallocation isn't a viable alternative much longer.

We need to take a leaf out of a lot of other major cities books and build a tunnel system to allow car access to the city centre. And underground rail. We dont have overground capacity anymore.
    IE 222 wrote: »
    Buses will move more freely on the quays but they will be delayed longer getting ONTO the quays especially any North or south travelling routes . Really just shifting the problem from one area to another imo. Buses don't suit everbodies travel needs there will always be a requirement for private cars.
    Good point. Some people just dont live anywhere convenient to a public transport route....some people drive considerable distances to get to work....so even the idea of driving x distance and then getting public transport isnt feasible. They've already got the sunk costs of car/tax/insurance...the additional petrol/diesel is far less than the cost of park & ride & public transport (even if we had sufficient P&R facilities available).
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    Unless you think that every single person currently driving a private car into the city centre really needs to then that is irrelevant. There is still access for private cars. Perhaps those who do not actually need to drive, who I imagine make up the majority, will reconsider.
    No, not everybody who drives a car needs to. But I would hazard a guess that a lot do. Probably due to inadequate or unsuitable (or none at all) public transport from their home/ back home.
    Concerned citizen. You dont need to a car user to understand the knock on implications -or be concerned about it.

In any case...having double bus lane is all well and good if there are more buses available to use the capacity. I'll guess that there wont be any additional buses, so in actual fact all this does is reduce car carrying capacity on the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

There are never that many buses on that particular Quay at once, it's usually tour buses illegally parked that cause the problem. I cycled along there twice this week and it's mayhem at the moment with taxi drivers darting every which way, it's a common enough place for taxis to get flagged in the evening and they all want to get ahead of each other.

You've got to be kidding me!

Manys a time I've been on a bus and it's taken 5 or so minutes to get from the lights to the bus stop, it's ridicilous how bad that stretch gets in the morning and evening peak.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is there any legal or by law construct to make one of the two bus lanes strictly for buses and bikes only? i.e. to deny access to taxis.

Advertisement