Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin North Quays - now double bus lane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

You literally said this

Why?

Was I wrong to compare?

My favourite public transport route is the D rail

Why?

Was I wrong to compare?

Yes

Yes you were.

Unless you think razing a city to the ground in order to eliminate pretty much every existing impediment to large scale infrastructural planning is a clever idea then it would seem a particularly inapt comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

And can you please link to the scientific research you're basing your own opinion on, Phil? ;)

It's obvious.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/air-pollution-triggers-cyclists-heart-risks/

Yes

Yes you were.

Unless you think razing a city to the ground in order to eliminate pretty much every existing impediment to large scale infrastructural planning is a clever idea then it would seem a particularly inapt comparison.

The old infrastructure of the city was still there.

An underground was added post WW2 (Ya Wha' says Paddy) and remarkably evrything just. . . works.

Meanwhile we're still using Butt Bridge, which can only take one train in either direction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Phil.x wrote: »
    Except ... that doesn't contradict the article Papu quoted.

In fact ... did you actually read it?!
    The study does not suggest that bikers would be better off driving, experts say. Rather, the findings intensify the scrutiny on cyclists' pollution exposure, and point to simple solutions for a cleaner ride, such as avoiding busy roads like 8th Avenue whenever possible.

The new study of Canadian cyclists does not mean that people should lock up their bikes and hop back into the driver's seat, said Brauer. Another study has shown that drivers have higher respiratory problems than cyclists because of their higher exposure to volatile organic chemicals in vehicle exhaust.

"In stop-and-go traffic, [drivers] have more exposure than a cyclist who stays 15 feet or more from the tailpipes," said Rebecca Serna, executive director of the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition, a cycling advocacy group.

The health benefits of cycling far outweigh the risks from air pollution and traffic collisions relative to car driving, according to one estimate by researchers in the Netherlands, where cycling is king. Taking cars off the road also helps reduce greenhouse gas emissions and traffic accidents.

"In general, you're better off cycling than not," Brauer said. "The physical activity benefits outweigh negative impacts. But you'd like there to be no impacts."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Go to a place like Frankfurt - a city of 700,000 with a surburban area of around 4m. A place destroyed in the second world war.

Then cmpare its transport infrastructure to Dublin.

No comparison.

No comparision in both history, geography and size either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The old infrastructure of the city was still there.

An underground was added post WW2 (Ya Wha' says Paddy) and remarkably evrything just. . . works.

Meanwhile we're still using Butt Bridge, which can only take one train in either direction.

Since when did Butt Bridge take rail traffic.

Dublins public transport system is more comparable with a number of UK cities than with Frankfurt. I would say that Dublin has a better public transport than most UK cities no pacers or bus wars here but that is the least we expect from a capital city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Except ... that doesn't contradict the article Papu quoted.

In fact ... did you actually read it?!

A 2010 study of cyclists in the Netherlands showed that hard-pedaling, deep-breathing cyclists on busy roads inhale more of this dirty air. In many cases, they also spend more time exposed to it compared to someone driving the same distance.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Since when did Butt Bridge take rail traffic.

Butt bridge only takes rail traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Butt bridge only takes rail traffic.

The Butt Bridge is a road bridge in Dublin, Ireland which spans the River Liffey and joins Georges Quay to Beresford Place and the north quays at Liberty Hall.

You're confusing it with Loopline bridge.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Nobody is forcing people out of their cars yet but that's the road we're headed down.

Another step towards people getting their daily nutrition in pill form and a daily uniform for everyone. When life gets to that stage then is it really worth living?

I think you're looking for the conspiracy theory forum

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hate seeing stuff like this happen. Forcing people onto buses.

Taking choices from supposedly free people is a dangerous path.

687474703a2f2f72733230352e70627372632e636f6d2f616c62756d732f62623132392f62656175746966756c636170746976652f69726f6e792e6a70677e63323030

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Great point Jimmy. Would love to see them sort out the pinch point at McDonalds inn Phibsboro and be able to run a bus Lane right through the village. That would easily knock 10 minutes off the commute for thousands of passengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

What does that say, Ivory?

Yup to demonstrate your ivory tower that or it says irony :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

A 2010 study of cyclists in the Netherlands showed that hard-pedaling, deep-breathing cyclists on busy roads inhale more of this dirty air. In many cases, they also spend more time exposed to it compared to someone driving the same distance.
    Try reading the full article for the overall conclusion, Phil! ;)

After all, it's the article you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 PaddyRussell

Spare a thought for those of us who have no choice but to travel the quays by car daily.
    I live in North Dock and Work in Kildare.  I travel the South Quays between 645-715am and it moves fast, no problems so far.  Coming home is another story.  Could get to Heuston anytime between 1700 and 1800 so I just get in line and wait.
    Yes I could paid the M50 toll and the tunnel toll but I have the M7 toll too.  All adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,620 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Fumes, dirty bus and car diesel fumes, that's why I stopped cycling to work.
    A 2010 study of cyclists in the Netherlands showed that hard-pedaling, deep-breathing cyclists on busy roads inhale more of this dirty air.

Valid point here in fairness Phil.x, don't know why you're being ignored.

The buses aren't that bad (considering the amount of people on board), but hundreds of single occupant petrol/diesel cars in the city centre is fairly noxious.

A push for electric only buses and E-cars only in the city centre with a ban on petrol and diesel for mainstream drivers might encourage cleaner air fans like you to get back on the bike.

The whole stop-start nature of bus journeying would suit an E-bus.

Your points are food for thought regarding a complete city center ban on diesel and petrol. This would be good for our architectural heritage in the city too, less cleaning and maintenance. The results would also leave a lot of room for more cycle friendly/public transport infrastructure.

(this coming from a motorist and a cyclist, much like yourself) I think you could be on to something here Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Spare a thought for those of us who have no choice but to travel the quays by car daily.
    You have lots of choice - it's your choice to live in the city centre while working well outside it, and it's your choice to drive down the quays rather than taking the tunnel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

hmmm wrote: »
    You have lots of choice - it's your choice to live in the city centre while working well outside it, and it's your choice to drive down the quays rather than taking the tunnel.

the sheer arrogance of that statement. You have no idea of that persons situation.

Everyone is a jockey with as long ladder....

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

I live in North Dock and Work in Kildare.  I travel the South Quays between 645-715am and it moves fast, no problems so far.  Coming home is another story.  Could get to Heuston anytime between 1700 and 1800 so I just get in line and wait.
    Yes I could paid the M50 toll and the tunnel toll but I have the M7 toll too.  All adds up.

North Quays or M50/Tunnel are not your only options. If you are coming in from the N7 why not turn right at Blackhorse and drive all along the canal and then Macken St and over Beckett Bridge? At the time you are coming in at most of the traffic on the canal is heading westbound so eastbound the traffic won't be as bad.

Another option if you are in as far as Heuston is Infirmary Rd - North Circular Road - Seville Palce.

If you insist on partially travelling on the north quays you could also turn left at Church St and then travel along Dorset St taking a right at NCR.

That's 3 different routes without tolls and there's also the tolled East Link route too. Honestly don't understand why you think you have no choice but to drive all the way along the north quays? Try the other routes and time the one that works best for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 255 ✭✭PuppyMcPupFace

Not everyone can use public transport though.

I do at the moment but I have arthritis and worry about managing the walk from the station when it worsens. Cycling would never be an option because of this.

I believe in saving the planet but we have to remember every commuter is a person with a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I do at the moment but I have arthritis and worry about managing the walk from the station when it worsens. Cycling would never be an option because of this.
    eBikes are opening up cycling again for lots of people with disabilities and various medical conditions. It provides the extra power and stamina that some people need. It's not for everyone, but it is a solution for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I believe in saving the planet but we have to remember every commuter is a person with a story.
    I sympathise for your plight, but the point of this statement is what? Do you expect the traffic system for Dublin to be built to cope with every individual's circumstances and desires?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 255 ✭✭PuppyMcPupFace

Really ? That would be great, I would definitely cycle if there were electronic bikes to take some of the strain. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

The general traffic lanes should be for those who genuinely need to use them, whether for business or mobility issues or whatever.

The problem isn't additional public transport lanes, it's people in general traffic who don't need to be there. Many make excuses as to why they need to drive, some don't even check if they have an alternative. But more PT lanes means more people can be transported. Simple as that. Freedom to drive remains but the greater good is given greater priority, but not forced on anyone.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

If general traffic lanes weren't full of people who refuse to look at different routes or people who think public transport is beneath them then people who genuinely have no other options wouldn't find it so difficult to get around the city.

Giving the necessary space to the majority of users who use it cleanly and efficiently is not the problem, the problem is the minority who don't need to be there but take up majority of the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

You'd think general-traffic lanes had been removed altogether....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

obviously, this is not a comment on your particular situation, but i've met a few cyclists whose arthritis has been helped by cycling.

Advertisement