Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 29 Oct 2017 - *** NOTE: no number transfer!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

davedanon wrote: »
    It shouldn't be, but smartphones' slightly unnerving capacity to self-adjust their time during the night caught many people on the hop, who would manually adjust them in the morning, and so still be one hour out. Even now I suspect most people would check the time on their phones against something resolutely analogue and non-internet-connected, like the clock on the wall in the kitchen, as even their gps watches would have made the adjustment automatically.

The eve of Dublin marathon last year I had about 20 clocks set in the house for an alarm, friends to ring me at certain time incase I slept it/screwed up the winter time change.
    I need not have worried , I was awake 100 times a night on and off checking phones/watches for accurate time :D
    All sort of madness running through my mind and thoughts running through my head, thought I would be knackered but made it round it .
    The madness of tapering /week building up to the marathon, all sort of madness running round the mind.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Last long run done today.

Taper time....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If you see post that need reporting then please use the report post button rather than quoting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Drove through town today..... the DCM road closure signs are up!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Can anyone clarify with certainty which wave the 4hr pacers will be in?

There's an official pdf of the start area which says it's wave 2 but have read on other official releases that it's wave 3. :confused:

I tweeted @dublinmarathon and they told me wave 3 but didn't reply when I tweeted them a screenshot of the pdf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Lazare wrote: »
    Can anyone clarify with certainty which wave the 4hr pacers will be in?

There's an official pdf of the start area which says it's wave 2 but have read on other official releases that it's wave 3. :confused:

I tweeted @dublinmarathon and they told me wave 3 but didn't reply when I tweeted them a screenshot of the pdf.

It was wave 2 last year, doubt they will change it.

RasTa wrote: »
    It was wave 2 last year, doubt they will change it.

According to here they're at the front of wave 3.

But, according to info on the start area map here they're at the back of wave 2.

This could be messy.

Lazare wrote: »
    According to here they're at the front of wave 3.

But, according to info on the start area map here they're at the back of wave 2.

This could be messy.

Both of those say wave 2
    here are 4 wave starts. Wave 1 Sub 3.39 Wave 2 3.40 to 3.59 Wave 3 4.00 to 4.29 Wave 4 4.30 +

You're aiming for 3:59:59 so wave 2. You'll know when you get your number anyway, 4hrs will get the green ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

From my understanding / after the changes were made the 4 hour pacers are currently scheduled to start at front of wave 3. The start area map is the map that was used last year and needs to be updated.

Edit.

Ok, that makes sense. Bit annoying though.

• Advertisement

From what we've been told the 4 hour pacers are currently scheduled to start at front of wave 3. The start area map is the map that was used last year and needs to be updated.

Strange decision if so, wouldn't like to be at the start of a wave.

Yeah they have confirmed it's wave 3
    Yes the 4hr pacer will be leading out Wave 3 this year ����

Extra 10mins in bed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Strange decision if so, wouldn't like to be at the start of a wave.

There's always going to be one band toward the front. Last year it would have been the 4:10 pacers at front of wave 3 leading out.

Last year the wave 4 was added on at the last minute if you remember. The current spread is more accurate a distribution of the 20000 people and expected finish times.

Unfortunately with the website not being updated confusion has arisen.

As a matter of interest when you entered what did the waves say does anyone remember? We were entered automatically so didn't get to see it.

(btw I edited my original post as it wasn't an official declaration that we were told front of wave 3 and didn't want to imply it was)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭ooter

Yeah they have confirmed it's wave 3

Extra 10mins in bed

Hour and 10 mins surely? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Course video has been posted.

https://www.facebook.com/dublinmarathon/videos/10155803961253185/

Edit: Looks like just a repost of last year's video.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

They could really do with having a better marathon website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

noelearly wrote: »
    They could really do with having a better marathon website.

What is wrong with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

annapr wrote: »
    Drove through town today..... the DCM road closure signs are up!!! :eek:

I hope they're still there!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Downtime wrote: »
    What is wrong with it?
    Well for a start, they've managed to misspell Airtricity in the title of the page...

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

28064212 wrote: »
    Well for a start, they've managed to misspell Airtricity in the title of the page...

Yeah, it needs a complete overhaul. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Henry42

So, am I right that everyone running the marathon needs to turn up at the Expo in the couple of days before to collect their race pack?
    Seems very awkward, particularly for those travelling. Is it possible to do that one someone's behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Henry42 wrote: »
    So, am I right that everyone running the marathon needs to turn up at the Expo in the couple of days before to collect their race pack?
    Seems very awkward, particularly for those travelling. Is it possible to do that one someone's behalf?

No lads I know got someone to pick up a bunch of race packs last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Henry42 wrote: »

This is standard for all large marathons. There are too many people to have number collection in the morning, so there is an expo in the days before.

You can collect on someone's behalf, but they require proof. Contact the marathon office for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Can you change waves at the expo? Hubby registered for wave 4 but is looking to go with 3:50 pacers in wave 2....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭ooter

Can you change waves at the expo? Hubby registered for wave 4 but is looking to go with 3:50 pacers in wave 2....

You can change down waves, don't think you can change up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You can ask when collecting number, or at the info desk there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

From MT's forecast this morning-

OUTLOOK ... It now appears likely to turn quite mild after the unsettled spell comes to an end, with potential for highs of 16 to 18 C later next week into the weekend of the 28th-29th. Longer range models show a possible colder turn just around the end of the month.

Warm and humid.......yuk

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not overly bothered about temperature, and if it's a bit warmer then it just means you can shed layers a bit sooner before the start and not have to huddle too closely with everyone else in the start pens. Just as long as it's not windy would be all I'd be looking for and that will be the main weather based factor for any marathon running around this part of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Hopefully it won't be a repeat of 2014.

That was carnage and conditions forecast look to be similar?

2014 was ridiculously mild, humid with a bit of a breeze.

From what I recall, most boardsies missed their targets. If it's like 2014, people might need to reassess their target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Djoucer wrote: »
    Hopefully it won't be a repeat of 2014.

That was carnage and conditions forecast look to be similar?

2014 was ridiculously mild, humid with a bit of a breeze.

From what I recall, most boardsies missed their targets. If it's like 2014, people might need to reassess their target.

Thats my fear too- 2014 nearly broke me!

Will definitely be running according to the conditions on the day rather than trying to stick to goals even if conditions don't allow it.

Anyway taper-madness really............must......not ......let......demons.....in!

Advertisement