Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 29 Oct 2017 - *** NOTE: no number transfer!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

What's the best way to get from Heuston Station to Ballsbridge ? Luas to Connoly Dart Station and take the Dart ? The Luas itself doesn't take me anywhere near ?. Thanks S

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Spirogyra wrote: »
    What's the best way to get from Heuston Station to Ballsbridge ? Luas to Connoly Dart Station and take the Dart ? The Luas itself doesn't take me anywhere near ?. Thanks S

Dublin Bus, 145, it starts at Heuston an goes through Ballsbridge. At risk of stating the obvious it's exact fare so have a load of change with you, I've no idea what the fare is but it'll be less than €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

First 145 bus departs 0900hrs(Sunday).

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Thanks Giilo and 'WCH ah it will be exiciting, there may be others on the bus doing the Marathon and I am I must say, looking forward to the weekend :)

Thanks Giilo and 'WCH ah it will be exiciting, there may be others on the bus doing the Marathon and I am I must say, looking forward to the weekend :)

Spirogyra, if you are on that bus you wont be doing the marathon. Race starts at 0900hrs.
    Not sure about the Luas but personally I wouldn't be relying on public transport getting to the event, definitely not the choo choo.........

• Advertisement

Spirogyra, if you are on that bus you wont be doing the marathon. Race starts at 0900hrs.

Nah, he'd only have to get it as far as the James Joyce bridge and join the marathon on Benburb Street, actually you could walk that from Heuston as a warm up.

Gillo wrote: »
    Nah, he'd only have to get it as far as the James Joyce bridge and join the marathon on Benburb Street, actually you could walk that from Heuston as a warm up.

Better still, just pick it up in the Park.

Better still, just pick it up in the Park.

Just stroll up through the Royal Hospital and come out at Kilmainham, thats a handy 12 miles in the bag already!

Edit: before anyone throws a wobbler, I'm pretty sure Spirogyra had previously posted that he / she is staying in a hotel in Ballsbridge the night before hand.

Yes im referring to saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭ooter

Have you considered Dublin Bikes?
    Loads of them outside Heuston station, you could walk up the hill with the bike (don't want to tire the legs too much) to James's Street and then a fairly pleasant cycle from there to ballsbridge.
    Nice little loosener before the big day. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 only running

Looking more likely there will be a rail strike on the October bank holiday weekend. Anyone planning to travel by train may need to start looking at alternative arrangements

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DC.

I’m planning on getting the train from Belfast to Connolly station - will this likely be affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Looking more likely there will be a rail strike on the October bank holiday weekend. Anyone planning to travel by train may need to start looking at alternative arrangements

Great.. just booked mine typical

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm still wondering if I may yet need to swim with all the Ryanair cancellations that keep happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DC.

Might as well make it an Ironman race!!

I was planning to travel by train. Would hate to have to travel by bus, especially home. Confined seating, trying to consume fluids, no facilities, stiffness,no space, no 'bar' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Just putting this out there to get some views on this. Have been training for DCM on a fairly lite plan due to previous injury issues. So far it had been working quite well and got some decent long runs in.

Last weekend I had to drop out of the Dublin HM with hamstring trouble after 4 miles. I'm on the mend and cautiously optimistic that I'll be good for DCM but it will be purely for fun and I won't be chasing a time , which I'm more than happy with as I've missed out on the last four due to injury!

So my question is this to all you experienced runners. Assuming I can return to running say at the end of next week say 8th October and I have a good weeks running, is there any benefit to attempting another 20 mile run at that stage (15th Oct) and enjoy a two week taper or would that be too risky.

Would you suggest an alternative plan?

Background is I have been running 4 times a week on pretty low mileage 25-35 miles per week. Recent long run history is:

23/7 - 11 miles
    30/7 - 12 miles
    6/8 - 13 miles
    13/8 - 13 miles
    20/8 - 16 miles
    26/8 - Frank Duffy 10 miler
    3/9 - 18 miles
    10/9 - 21 miles
    17/9 - 16 miles

Enough in the Bank? Need one more 16/18/20 LSR?

Edit: FWIW - This will be my 4th marathon so I'm not a complete novice

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

RedRunner wrote: »
    Just putting this out there to get some views on this. Have been training for DCM on a fairly lite plan due to previous injury issues. So far it had been working quite well and got some decent long runs in.

Last weekend I had to drop out of the Dublin HM with hamstring trouble after 4 miles. I'm on the mend and cautiously optimistic that I'll be good for DCM but it will be purely for fun and I won't be chasing a time , which I'm more than happy with as I've missed out on the last four due to injury!

So my question is this to all you experienced runners. Assuming I can return to running say at the end of next week say 8th October and I have a good weeks running, is there any benefit to attempting another 20 mile run at that stage (15th Oct) and enjoy a two week taper or would that be too risky.

Would you suggest an alternative plan?

Background is I have been running 4 times a week on pretty low mileage 25-35 miles per week. Recent long run history is:

23/7 - 11 miles
    30/7 - 12 miles
    6/8 - 13 miles
    13/8 - 13 miles
    20/8 - 16 miles
    26/8 - Frank Duffy 10 miler
    3/9 - 18 miles
    10/9 - 21 miles
    17/9 - 16 miles

Enough in the Bank? Need one more 16/18/20 LSR?

Edit: FWIW - This will be my 4th marathon so I'm not a complete novice

You have the time to recover so yes I would do another 20miler this weekend and another 16/18 the following week dependent on injury.

Then you be fine to get around no worries

Edit......IF your not right rest. You will not win beat any records but you will get around on what you have done. Let the injury heal. Sorry for the miss communication above

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Hi all, doing my second marathon this year and looking forward to it. Question, what is the next closest marathon after the DCM? I'd like to take advantage of my fitness and get another done if it is within a month or two of Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Hi all, doing my second marathon this year and looking forward to it. Question, what is the next closest marathon after the DCM? I'd like to take advantage of my fitness and get another done if it is within a month or two of Dublin

Have a look for Belleek marathons think it may be after Dublin.

• Advertisement

Clonakilty in early December, haven't done It myself so cant comment on it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Sixmilebridge is on 19th November 2017.

You might find that running 2 marathons close together isn't necessarily "taking advantage" of your fitness, though. The first time I tried something like that I ran 2 marathons 6 weeks apart and realised with 10 miles to go that I hadn't yet recovered from the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sixmilebridge is on 19th November 2017.

You might find that running 2 marathons close together isn't necessarily "taking advantage" of your fitness, though. The first time I tried something like that I ran 2 marathons 6 weeks apart and realised with 10 miles to go that I hadn't yet recovered from the first one.

Ran a marathon earlier this year within five weeks of another one.

Whatever about my legs, my head most certainly wasn't up for it. :(

Zebra3 wrote: »

Hope that doesn't happen to me, Dublin 5 weeks out from Berlin. Might just turn it in to a fun run. I'll probably attempt a hard session 10 days before to see how I'm fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

noelearly wrote: »
    Hope that doesn't happen to me, Dublin 5 weeks out from Berlin. Might just turn it in to a fun run. I'll probably attempt a hard session 10 days before to see how I'm fixed.

I think it depends on the individual. I don't think I could do it, but I've read accounts of people doing better in Dublin than in Berlin and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Zebra3 wrote: »

You 'll be fine. I know ya!😀 I've done a few of those and they can be fine. Last year Eau Rouge did 2.33 and 2.32 in Berlin and Dublin. But you decide on the day. You'll know soon enough if you're on a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭ooter

I think it depends on the individual. I don't think I could do it, but I've read accounts of people doing better in Dublin than in Berlin and vice versa.
    I would agree with this, Gary o Hanlon ran a PB (2:19) last Sunday and DCM is his main target.

Itziger wrote: »
    You 'll be fine. I know ya!😀 I've done a few of those and they can be fine. Last year Eau Rouge did 2.33 and 2.32 in Berlin and Dublin. But you decide on the day. You'll know soon enough if you're on a good day.

Yep words of wisdom as usual Itziger, think the main thing is mentality. If things start going wrong very easy to throw the towel in. Just getting over the hump I suppose. Any particular runs I should be doing in the lead up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Itziger wrote: »

Yep words of wisdom as usual Itziger, think the main thing is mentality. If things start going wrong very easy to throw the towel in. Just getting over the hump I suppose. Any particular runs I should be doing in the lead up.
    When you feel you're fairly well recovered, chuck in a few MP miles to see how the body finds 'em. Not many on the first run. Then do a couple of mid to long runs with some quality. If you're not feeling great, pull the plug. Sure you did the hard work in Berlin. Enjoy Dublin but give it a lash if you're over the first one.

• Advertisement

How do the Pacers 'pace ' does anyone know ? do they start out a bit slower ? and go faster later ? or what is their 'plan' ? :)

Advertisement