Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 29 Oct 2017 - *** NOTE: no number transfer!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

sideswipe wrote: »
    Thats my fear too- 2014 nearly broke me!

Will definitely be running according to the conditions on the day rather than trying to stick to goals even if conditions don't allow it.

Anyway taper-madness really............must......not ......let......demons.....in!

Didn't do 2014, but was it really any different to the conditions that you'd have been running most of your training runs in during the summer months? A very warm day for the end of October should really be nothing to worry about as it's still going to be cooler than the middle of summer.

Don't let the mind play tricks on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

robinph wrote: »
    Didn't do 2014, but was it really any different to the conditions that you'd have been running most of your training runs in during the summer months? A very warm day for the end of October should really be nothing to worry about as it's still going to be cooler than the middle of summer.

I remember 2014 well - hard to forget, 19 degrees at the start line but it was the humidity and wind which did everyone in rather than the heat - that long stretch into the wind in Crumlin is what finished me :( Won't be making the same mistake this year if the weather is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭ooter

Is there a breakfast run this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

ooter wrote: »
    Is there a breakfast run this year?

Nope. I saw the same question asked and answered on social media, also no sign of it on the website etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

robinph wrote: »

I was one of the pacers in 2014 and it really was tough. The wind was bad enough but the humidity was the real killer.

Afterwards I was glad I had only been pacing it. Had I tried to race it I would have blown up, I'm absolutely sure of that. As it was, even pacing felt pretty tough, much closer to a race effort than I would have liked.

Having said that, there's no point in worrying about that now. With 10 days to go they have no idea what conditions will really be like on race day, so stop panicking, everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Ugly sceptre of a Rail Strike looms. I'd hate to have to get a bus. home especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Spirogyra wrote:
    Ugly sceptre of a Rail Strike looms. I'd hate to have to get a bus. home especially.

Saw a sign this evening saying that the train line will be closed between Connolly and Skerries, so if planning on travelling by train from that side of city, make alternative arrangements

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

Djoucer wrote: »
    Hopefully it won't be a repeat of 2014.

That was carnage and conditions forecast look to be similar?

2014 was ridiculously mild, humid with a bit of a breeze.

From what I recall, most boardsies missed their targets. If it's like 2014, people might need to reassess their target.

My first marathon. That was a tough one. Personally I wouldn't trust a weather forecast until at most 3 days out so we'll wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

This arrived (attached) in the letterbox of the office this morning.

quite a convoluted way of getting people to the start line, but maybe its always this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

op1u6c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Yep, more or less. It works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

quite a convoluted way of getting people to the start line, but maybe its always this way?

think this is the first year it has been quite so convoluted, but also first year they had planned for four waves

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Does look complicated, but when you have all those buildings in the way you're a bit limited in how to direct people to where they need to be, but at the same time making sure that everyone goes past the bag drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

RayCun wrote: »
    think this is the first year it has been quite so convoluted, but also first year they had planned for four waves

No, twas like that last year as well. Worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Seems a smart enough setup to keep people flowing in the right direction and not going against people to get to your wave.

Yep, same as last year - long walk for those in wave 4 tough  -if you're in that wave be in it at 09:10-09:15 as its a good 5 min walk to the start from there. 
    I also hope they have more toilets laid on this year, with the stewards now stopping all the men p!$$ing in every alley way (rightly so) I found the queues for the toilets really long:'( (in wave 4 anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Can I get some advice from people. This is my 2nd marathon (first in Barca earlier this year). My initial goal for this training plan was to go sub 4 hours. I ran 4:27 in Barca but I was injured (fell while running the week before the race and impacted me from early in the race and training had me planning on sub 4 hour). 
    I had signed up for wave 2 as goal time was 3:59:59 as it suggested but the 4 hour pacer is in wave 3 which seems strange. 
    I have two options as I see it:
    1. Running in wave 2 and go with the 3:50 pacer and see how this goes. The training I have done seems like I would be able to do this. If I go with this option I would assess my pace @ 5km in and if it doesn't feel right I would drop back my pace early and pace myself throughout
    2. Drop back a wave into wave 3 if possible and stick with 4 hour pacer. 

Recent races have been good with RnR HM @ 1;46, Fingal 10k @ 48mins, I feel like I could keep it going ok with 3:50 pacer and perhaps my PMP was conservative to start with it. I have 12km run planned for tomorrow so will be running this at MP for 3:50 finish so this may help my decision I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

chris85 wrote: »
    Recent races have been good with RnR HM @ 1;46, Fingal 10k @ 48mins, I feel like I could keep it going ok with 3:50 pacer and perhaps my PMP was conservative to start with it. I have 12km run planned for tomorrow so will be running this at MP for 3:50 finish so this may help my decision I think.

Those paces seem appropriate to a 4 hour marathon. I would drop down a wave - dropping down is not a problem - and go with the 4 hour paces.

I don't see the benefit of a 12km run at MP a week before the marathon tbh. It isn't going to tell you anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

RayCun wrote: »
    Those paces seem appropriate to a 4 hour marathon. I would drop down a wave - dropping down is not a problem - and go with the 4 hour paces.

I don't see the benefit of a 12km run at MP a week before the marathon tbh. It isn't going to tell you anything.

+1

Based on your HM and 10k times and fact that it is just your 2nd marathon I'd stay away from 3:50 and stick with the 4hr pace group and see how you get on.

Other benefit from dropping down a wave is if you are feeling great you'll run away from the 4hr pacers off the front and then have a nice relatively clear road, but you'll be the one overtaking people all the way to the end as you catch the tail end of the previous wave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Good advice already above but if it helps I would have had similar times as you going into DCM last year for my second marathon, I had gone under 1:44 in Charleville HM in the lead up to DCM 2016. I got a time of 4:12:54 in DCM 2015 and was planning for a sub 4 for DCM 2016. So goal was to stick with the 4 hour pace group all the way to half way and then move ahead. Came home in 3:57:34 so there's plenty of time in the second half to gain a bit of time if you're able to pick it up a bit. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Spirogyra wrote: »

Looks like its happening. Time to make contingency plans for anyone who is planning on using the train

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1020/913807-iarnrod-eireann-dispute/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

chris85 wrote: »
    Can I get some advice from people. This is my 2nd marathon (first in Barca earlier this year). My initial goal for this training plan was to go sub 4 hours. I ran 4:27 in Barca but I was injured (fell while running the week before the race and impacted me from early in the race and training had me planning on sub 4 hour).
    I had signed up for wave 2 as goal time was 3:59:59 as it suggested but the 4 hour pacer is in wave 3 which seems strange.
    I have two options as I see it:
    1. Running in wave 2 and go with the 3:50 pacer and see how this goes. The training I have done seems like I would be able to do this. If I go with this option I would assess my pace @ 5km in and if it doesn't feel right I would drop back my pace early and pace myself throughout
    2. Drop back a wave into wave 3 if possible and stick with 4 hour pacer.

Ill go against the grain here and suggest your times indicate a 3:50 is well within your capabilities. Assuming you have the appropriate long runs/mileage under the belt I don't see why you don't go for it.
    FWIW I ran DCM '13 in 3:43 with a HM time of 1:43. Book a trip on one of those open top buses if you want to sight see, give it a lash man!:D

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Ill go against the grain here and suggest your times indicate a 3:50 is well within your capabilities. Assuming you have the appropriate long runs/mileage under the belt I don't see why you don't go for it.
    FWIW I ran DCM '13 in 3:43 with a HM time of 1:43. Book a trip on one of those open top buses if you want to sight see, give it a lash man!:D

Laughing hard here!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Looks like its happening. Time to make contingency plans for anyone who is planning on using the train

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1020/913807-iarnrod-eireann-dispute/

Am I reading that wrong? - it says the stoppages will be in November / December. The marathon is in October.
    rte wrote:
    SIPTU and NBRU members at Iarnród Éireann have voted overwhelmingly in favour of industrial action in a dispute over pay and will hold five 24-hour stoppages in November and December.

The stoppages on will be held on 1, 7, 14, and 23 November, and 8 December and will affect 155,000 passenger journeys per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Phoebas wrote: »
    Am I reading that wrong? - it says the stoppages will be in November / December. The marathon is in October.

Posted it when it was speculated that it would be on the bank hol - thankfully not!

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

I also hope they have more toilets laid on this year, with the stewards now stopping all the men p!$$ing in every alley way (rightly so) I found the queues for the toilets really long:'( (in wave 4 anyway).

They could do with supplying some of those pissoirs that you see at the ploughing, would fairly cut down on Qs for the portaloos and the numbers using alley ways etc.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

eliwallach wrote: »
    No, twas like that last year as well. Worked fine.

And the year before. Works great. Just try not to lose track of time, as I nearly did in the first year, and had to move fairly sharpish to hit the 4:30 pacers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Do they strictly enforce 'Waves' ?

• Advertisement

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Do they strictly enforce 'Waves' ?

That have "bouncers" at the entrance of each wave checking bibs however it is not unknown for people to end up in the wrong wave

Advertisement