Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 29 Oct 2017 - *** NOTE: no number transfer!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

ariana` wrote: »
    Sounds like a great idea. It must be very soul destroying to watch a pacer slip away from you :o

Just avoid the bearded freak in the white cap in the photo above and you'll do just fine. If his tall tanned Greek buddy is also pacing maybe give him a wide berth too.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

9.00am Dublin runner

fyp:p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

3:00.Abhainn,Marty R;FrankQ
    3:10.Dublin runner,cannine marathoner,The drummer
    3:20.Fozzy,ChrisG,killerz
    3:30.jackyback,Paul S,Fboto
    3:40 Ankers,ollie,Paulr
    3:50 rex briliantes,rolando,Garman
    4:00 2 x stews,The Don
    4:10..Pmc,artist formerly known as Meno,BostonD
    4:20.jarleth,karina,PaulH
    4:30,Alision,charliechapman,somedudefromcavan
    4:40.younganne,youngerAnne,pascalm
    4:50.Ray cass,pacingdonkey,Thejarlos
    5:00....Ann mC,P Vanreisling,DeS

Is this the final list? Or is there a chance that more could be added for the .... erm .... slower among us??

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Did many of them pace the half out in Donabate? The 1.30 pacers seemed sound (for the kilometer or so I actually got to run with them).

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

Did many of them pace the half out in Donabate? The 1.30 pacers seemed sound (for the kilometer or so I actually got to run with them).

all of dem bar 1 or 2....d baldy 130 pacer is doin 3hrs,d hairy one with hat is doin 310

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Training is going well, last lsr this week 22 miles. Start tapering after that. Am running Amsterdam half marathon next week which ties into my training plan. Then it's reduce the miles, rest and eat well. Have dcm on the 29th the fly to New York on the Thursday for the marathon over there the following week.

Had a really bad run last week which ended up giving me confidence for the 2 marathons. Was a disastrous 21 mile run, tank was empty at 14 miles for some reason. Jogged/walked the last 7. Really suffered on it for some unknown reason. Forced myself back out the door the next day for a good session and was flying again by the weekend.

Any advice on what I should be doing recovery wise in between the two marathons ? I'll have full access to a physio who will be travelling with us.

Are you racing all 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

all of dem bar 1 or 2....d baldy 130 pacer is doin 3hrs,d hairy one with hat is doin 310

Pic attached to remind people to keep an eye out for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Are you racing all 3?

No, will see how things go in Amsterdam. Will see how I feel after about 5 miles. Plan is to go out about 30 seconds slower than my target pace and if I feel strong I'll pick it up. It usually takes me a while to settle myself so I'll not put pressure on myself too early. I've crashed and burned too many times due to going out too fast.

Plan for Dublin is use it as a long slow run in preparation for New York the following week. They are too close together to target times so I'll just try and ensure i get to the finish on both of them.

Really looking forward to them both though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

ariana` wrote: »
    Sounds like a great idea. It must be very soul destroying to watch a pacer slip away from you :o

Yes. Yes it is.

Even worse listening to the next pacer group coming up behind you then sailing past :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

annapr wrote: »
    Yes. Yes it is.

Even worse listening to the next pacer group coming up behind you then sailing past :eek:

Been there, seen that :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I think most pacing groups operate a sort of 'box' system, with 1 up and 2 back, or vice versa, and about 20-30 metres in between, so runners can drop back just a tad for a breather, but not feel like they're dropping off goal pace.

That group pic reminds me that I was most discombobulated last year to discover that, contrary to my assumption, there was no sophisticated method of attaching the pacing balloon to oneself - just a big balloon with an enormous strip of ribbon attached. Every other pacer I asked all more or less said the same thing in reply - "oh, you don't have a belt to tie it on to?". No, I f*cking don't, and why I am only f*cking hearing about this now??? In the end I had no option but to secure it to my wrist, and then comedy gold broke out when I realised that I had to get my top off (I'm in the navy long-sleeve in the pic) and the shagging balloon was in the way. I think in the end we had to untie the damn balloon, and it nearly floated away, which would have resulted in me barricading myself in the nearest portaloo until the entire race was over.

Ah, great times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

davedanon wrote: »
    I think most pacing groups operate a sort of 'box' system, with 1 up and 2 back, or vice versa, and about 20-30 metres in between, so runners can drop back just a tad for a breather, but not feel like they're dropping off goal pace.

That group pic reminds me that I was most discombobulated last year to discover that, contrary to my assumption, there was no sophisticated method of attaching the pacing balloon to oneself - just a big balloon with an enormous strip of ribbon attached. Every other pacer I asked all more or less said the same thing in reply - "oh, you don't have a belt to tie it on to?". No, I f*cking don't, and why I am only f*cking hearing about this now??? In the end I had no option but to secure it to my wrist, and then comedy gold broke out when I realised that I had to get my top off (I'm in the navy long-sleeve in the pic) and the shagging balloon was in the way. I think in the end we had to untie the damn balloon, and it nearly floated away, which would have resulted in me barricading myself in the nearest portaloo until the entire race was over.

Ah, great times.

I was following a pacer in Mullingar HM on paddy's day. Was tucked in nicely and hadn't even left the town and it had somehow got off his belt and blew away. Thought he had pushed on so I took off after him or so I thought. Was a very unhappy camper when I found that wasn't the case and I'd actually passed him. Crashed and burned after 10 miles. Use my own watch nowadays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Corcaigh70 wrote: »
    <snip>

Could be your last DCM entry also as race transfers are not allowed and bans are usually imposed on people who are found to have sold their numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Wait for it, wait....... :D

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Could be your last DCM entry also as race transfers are not allowed and bans are usually imposed on people who are found to have sold their numbers.

They have to be found though. I'd say he'll be ok. No shortage of takers even if they don't get to run in their own name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

There's injury and there's "injury". Not saying yours isn't significant, but it's quite a wide band of interpretation.

There are 3 primary ways I'd look at this

- An injury that prevents somebody from running whatsoever between now and the race and probably beyond i.e. the person can't race, full stop.

- An injury that prevents somebody from running for some of the time between now and the race but will be as good as gone by the 29th.......the runner can race, but knows their time will be negatively impacted.

- An injury that hampers performance temporarily but is at best more a concern than anything else.

Given how proud, nervous or otherwise people are about these things then there's all sorts of reasons why somebody might back out so close to the race. If the organisers were to permit this sort of refund policy then they'd find themselves bowled over with the volumes of requests by all sorts of people who'd rather their money back than run the race. They'd also probably find themselves running at a loss too! If they hear somebody is injured how are they to know it's even truthful (not saying you're lying), and beyond that how are they to know how serious this is?

I dare say the amount of people who prepare for these things at a level of session completion, avoiding injury or niggles or are otherwise completely happy with their lead-up to the race would be small in number.

The simple policy for them is to just to try and keep the price down, and to have a policy where if you pay and register then you have the right to show up and race if you so wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

<mod>Whatever the state of your injury, do not attempt to sell your number here. The next person to do so will get a ban for their troubles</mod>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭ooter

Not that I would ever do it but I didn't know that.

Is it also true (as someone posted up somewhere on here) that getting a drink or similar from someone in the crowd outside of the official drink stations is outlawed?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

davedanon wrote: »
    Is it also true (as someone posted up somewhere on here) that getting a drink or similar from someone in the crowd outside of the official drink stations is outlawed?

Yes, because the event is run under IAAF rules, and those rules say you can only take refreshments from official stations.

I don't think the IAAF care about the mass participation end of the race though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

RayCun wrote: »
    Yes, because the event is run under IAAF rules, and those rules say you can only take refreshments from official stations.

I don't think the IAAF care about the mass participation end of the race though.

Is there any instance of someone getting pulled out of the race for this? I'm spectating this year, but will be on the bike to check in on a mate at various points on the course. I'll probably have a couple of bits in the bag for him if he needs them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

healy1835 wrote: »
    Is there any instance of someone getting pulled out of the race for this? I'm spectating this year, but will be on the bike to check in on a mate at various points on the course. I'll probably have a couple of bits in the bag for him if he needs them.....

I haven't heard of any. I think the top end of the field would know about this rule, and be careful.

Incidentally, I have heard of warnings for athletes who have people cycling beside them - that's against the pacing rules and also a hazard to other runners. It's okay to cycle around to meet people at different places, as long as you don't cycle on the course itself.

I suppose that makes sense. It just never occurred to me that we would be subject to the same rules as the elites, but why wouldn't we?

It's a pretty common practice among club athletes too: those of their teammates that can't or weren't running anyway always offer to supply drinks at a specified spot out on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

If they enforced that rule half the field be thrown out as they grab sweets of complete strangers.

I remember cycling with a few friends back in 2001 when they ran it. Never a problem just stay out of the way but big difference in numbers then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

In reality nobody gives a damn if a non-elite runner receives some outside assistance, and that includes the organisers.

Cycling along a runner is a no-no because it blocks the road for other runners, and there are a few tight spots. But nobody minds if someone hands you something from the sidelines.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I forget what year it was, but had someone skiing near me around about 20+'ish miles. Yes, skiing. They were on massive roller blade things and also had poles and going alongside a mate of theirs. Was a big hazard as they don't manoeuvre or take the same line around corners like you do when running and take up loads of extra space on the road, the same applies to bikes or rollerblades. Big distraction and dangerous to the runners.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

RayCun wrote: »

:eek: I didn't know this! There i was a couple of years ago handing out bottles of water and bananas goodo! Will know better this year!

Edit....just read the following posts. Will be back with me water and bananas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

This probably isn't a big deal these days with smart phones, but don't forget that the clocks go back one hour at 2am on 29th October. No one wants to be hanging around an hour more than planned on marathon day!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

chickey2 wrote: »
    This probably isn't a big deal these days with smart phones, but don't forget that the clocks go back one hour at 2am on 29th October. No one wants to be hanging around an hour more than planned on marathon day!

They're lucky we're here tbh :cool: :D

• Advertisement

chickey2 wrote: »

It shouldn't be, but smartphones' slightly unnerving capacity to self-adjust their time during the night caught many people on the hop, who would manually adjust them in the morning, and so still be one hour out. Even now I suspect most people would check the time on their phones against something resolutely analogue and non-internet-connected, like the clock on the wall in the kitchen, as even their gps watches would have made the adjustment automatically.

Advertisement