Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 29 Oct 2017 - *** NOTE: no number transfer!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Spirogyra wrote: »
    How do the Pacers 'pace ' does anyone know ? do they start out a bit slower ? and go faster later ? or what is their 'plan' ? :)

Pacers in Dublin have always been instructed to run even splits miles the whole way through with a bank of 30 secs under. So 4 hour pacers will aim to finish nett 3:59:30 and run 9:08/mile. Some miles will be slightly quicker some will be slower but not by a huge amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

I'm targetting 3'40, which given results this year is conservative, according to 'calculators'. But if I add in 'distance', I've not always been done recommended distances per week, done a lot more speed sessions,the 'prediction' falls dramatically. Thanks :) A good chance I'll follow the 3'40 pacers then :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I ran another marathon I think 6 weeks after London this year and managed to achieve what I needed. Only a couple of minutes slower than I was aiming for in London but did what I was after. Had only entered it at the last minute in order to get the fast GFA time. It's possible to run marathons close together, but I don't think I'd deliberately plan to do it far in advance. For me it just happened that I knew I was feeling pretty fresh after London so then took the opportunity of making use of that training block in a backup event.

I won free entry to the event again for next year, but doubt I'll make use of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Is there a list of times the pacers are doing?

Can’t see one on the DCM website.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Pacers are every 10 minutes from 3:00 to 5:00
    (or have been the last couple of years)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

I recall a few hilly sections when I did it a few years back. I'm I right in saying the first half has more pulls than the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

noelearly wrote: »
    I recall a few hilly sections when I did it a few years back. I'm I right in saying the first half has more pulls than the second.

I would be thinking the same - I remember the 2nd half being a lot flatter, but I coudln't take advantage of it - spent too much energy in the 1st part.

Heartbreak hill in at mile 21 or so - but nothing else jumps out at me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

RayCun wrote: »
    Pacers are every 10 minutes from 3:00 to 5:00
    (or have been the last couple of years)

I'm running it with a friend of mine so was trying to get out of him what he was targeting, eventually he said he hoped to run with the 3:10 pace group & my next comment was 'there's a 3:10 pace group????" :)

That's the most impressive spread of groups I've seen anywhere!

opus wrote: »
    That's the most impressive spread of groups I've seen anywhere!

It's all a racket for UM1 and his mates to get free entry ;) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

I've kinda wondered about that once or twice!!

Note: I do not know any of the pacers and have nothing against 'em. But maybe next year they could go every 5 minutes..... then 2.5...then..

Hey, what about having a pacers' only race, would that work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

noelearly wrote: »

You have a small drag just after turning right at St Patrick's Cathedral just after a mile.

After crossing the Liffey you have around a 5 mile drag, from miles 2-7, all the way up to Castleknock. Nice downhill section after this to let your legs recover.

Steep hill at St. Laurence Rd just after 10 miles, quite short though and it's an easy enough stretch then through to Kilmainham.

Just over a 1 mile drag up Crumlin Rd from miles 13-14. Seems longer though as it's a wide, straight road. Drag starts at the garage just after the canal and just keep in your head that it flattens just after the childrens hospital which you'll see in the distance. I'd recommend just keeping your head down though and follow someones feet.

Lovely flat and downhill stretch then from when you turn at Cromwellsfort Rd (mile 15), through Milltown (very short but quite steep bump here) until you hit Clonskeagh Rd just after mile 20.

Clonskeagh Rd kind of climbs in steps. Again, it's only around a mile before you turn off onto Roebuck Rd.

Roebuck Rd is actually pretty flat apart from "Heartbreak Hill". It's a bump though, over before you know it unless you let it beat you in advance.

Sounds easy on paper :)

Itziger wrote: »
    I've kinda wondered about that once or twice!!

Note: I do not know any of the pacers and have nothing against 'em. But maybe next year they could go every 5 minutes..... then 2.5...then..

Hey, what about having a pacers' only race, would that work?

The next step would be 4 hour pacers in wave 1, and 4 hour pacers in wave 2, and in wave 3 :pac:

I think it helps spread out the crowd. The 3 and (especially) 4 hour times are pretty crowded, even without pacers, if they were the only pacers they'd be mobbed. Covering more times breaks those groups up a bit, and there are always people chasing GFA or Boston times, or looking for an improvement on last year's time, to go in one of the smaller groups.

Bunch of inveterate gamblers that they are, I think there were wagers some years on which groups would be closest to the goal-time-minus-30-seconds mark :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

At the very end of the marathon you can see the Dublin pacers desperately stalling so that they are within 30 seconds of their target gallantly hanging back trying to shepherd as many of their charges over the line as possible under the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

i dont have 39 friends :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

davedanon wrote: »
    At the very end of the marathon you can see the Dublin pacers desperately stalling so that they are within 30 seconds of their target gallantly hanging back trying to shepherd as many of their charges over the line as possible under the time.

Need to calculate the "winning" pacers using some formula of their time at half way and the finish to stop them cheating gallantly hanging back.

3:00.Abhainn,Marty R;FrankQ
    3:10.Dublin runner,cannine marathoner,The drummer
    3:20.Fozzy,ChrisG,killerz
    3:30.jackyback,Paul S,Fboto
    3:40 Ankers,ollie,Paulr
    3:50 rex briliantes,rolando,Garman
    4:00 2 x stews,The Don
    4:10..Pmc,artist formerly known as Meno,BostonD
    4:20.jarleth,karina,PaulH
    4:30,Alision,charliechapman,somedudefromcavan
    4:40.younganne,youngerAnne,pascalm
    4:50.Ray cass,pacingdonkey,Thejarlos
    5:00....Ann mC,P Vanreisling,DeS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Which pacer group is at the back of wave 1? 3:40? Presumably 3:50 go in wave 2?

Peckham wrote: »

as far as i can remember from last year,so not gospel or from dcm organisers
    3:30 at rear of wave 1...3:40 at front of wave 2...4:10 at front of wave 3..4:40 at fromt of wave 4

• Advertisement

as far as i can remember from last year,so not gospel or from dcm organisers 3:30 at rear of wave 1...3:40 at front of wave 2...4:10 at front of wave 3..4:40 at fromt of wave 4

Figured as much. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

as far as i can remember from last year,so not gospel or from dcm organisers
    3:30 at rear of wave 1...3:40 at front of wave 2...4:10 at front of wave 3..4:40 at fromt of wave 4

Is the 4 hour pacer not in the third wave? If not does anyone have any tips for getting into the "wrong" wave?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Training is going well, last lsr this week 22 miles. Start tapering after that. Am running Amsterdam half marathon next week which ties into my training plan. Then it's reduce the miles, rest and eat well. Have dcm on the 29th the fly to New York on the Thursday for the marathon over there the following week.

Had a really bad run last week which ended up giving me confidence for the 2 marathons. Was a disastrous 21 mile run, tank was empty at 14 miles for some reason. Jogged/walked the last 7. Really suffered on it for some unknown reason. Forced myself back out the door the next day for a good session and was flying again by the weekend.

Any advice on what I should be doing recovery wise in between the two marathons ? I'll have full access to a physio who will be travelling with us.

murphm45 wrote: »
    Is the 4 hour pacer not in the third wave? If not does anyone have any tips for getting into the "wrong" wave?

If you ask at the Expo when you're getting your number, they may give you a sticker to let you change your wave. Tell them what your race times are that justify the move, and explain why you want it.

(emphasis not directed at you in particular, but some runners give the volunteers grief over this)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

If you ask at the Expo when you're getting your number, they may give you a sticker to let you change your wave. Tell them what your race times are that justify the move, and explain why you want it.

(emphasis not directed at you in particular, but some runners give the volunteers grief over this)

Thanks, I'll throw myself on their mercy so ... the worst they can say is no!

Failing that any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

3:00.Abhainn,Marty R;FrankQ
    3:10.Dublin runner,cannine marathoner,The drummer
    3:20.Fozzy,ChrisG,killerz
    3:30.jackyback,Paul S,Fboto
    3:40 Ankers,ollie,Paulr
    3:50 rex briliantes,rolando,Garman
    4:00 2 x stews,The Don
    4:10..Pmc,artist formerly known as Meno,BostonD
    4:20.jarleth,karina,PaulH
    4:30,Alision,charliechapman,somedudefromcavan
    4:40.younganne,youngerAnne,pascalm
    4:50.Ray cass,pacingdonkey,Thejarlos
    5:00....Ann mC,P Vanreisling,DeS

A newbie question - do the pacers run together or are there 3 different groups at each time? Also, how do we find them?

ariana` wrote: »
    A newbie question - do the pacers run together or are there 3 different groups at each time? Also, how do we find them?

all 1 group of 3

all 1 group of 3

Thank you kind sir, very helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

all 1 group of 3

That's what they USUALLY do.

A couple of years ago I ran about 50 meters behind the other 2 lads (not planned, it just played out that way), which worked very well in the second half as runners who dropped off the "first" group were just about to lose motivation when they realised they were still with a pacer and still stood a chance. A fair number of them managed to hang on.

• Advertisement

That's what they USUALLY do.

A couple of years ago I ran about 50 meters behind the other 2 lads (not planned, it just played out that way), which worked very well in the second half as runners who dropped off the "first" group were just about to lose motivation when they realised they were still with a pacer and still stood a chance. A fair number of them managed to hang on.
    Sounds like a great idea. It must be very soul destroying to watch a pacer slip away from you :o

Advertisement