Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 29 Oct 2017 - *** NOTE: no number transfer!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

That have "bouncers" at the entrance of each wave checking bibs however it is not unknown for people to end up in the wrong wave
    Thanks, I think on reflection that I might be better off anyway at the very front of 'Wave 2' and have a clear run, rather the congestion of the back of wave 1 :) .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The psychological benefits of overtaking people struggling from the back of the previous wave rather than being overtaken by people running fast off the front of the next wave is significant. Be the person overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

That have "bouncers" at the entrance of each wave checking bibs however it is not unknown for people to end up in the wrong wave

I know loads of people that got caught out last year and forgot to enter on time and as a result ended up in the last wave. From what I recall all of these people just walked straight into their correct wave..maybe it was because last year was the first year it sold out and they were less strict or maybe they arent actually that strict in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

op1u6c.jpg

This is last year's information, notice the incorrect wave info. They updated it the other day after a couple of us on the novices thread pointed it out to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Do they strictly enforce 'Waves' ?

Last year, I was one of the late entrants, who got in via the lotto. I was supposed to be in Wave 4. I started in Wave 3. Say no more :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Seems to be a vomiting bug going around parts of Dublin atm. Quarantine time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Just dropping in to say good luck to you all for next week.

Last year while I was cheering, I had the idea of bringing plasters, vaseline and wet wipes for runners suffering from the dreaded chafe (I saw a lot of bloody shirts at mile 13!). This year the idea will be reality! I'm bringing my 'Fix Yer Nips' station to DCM! I'm going to be in the Phoenix Park, between mile 4 and 5 on the left hand side of Chesterfield Avenue.

For men and women: nipples, thighs, feet; whatever's hurting I'll have everything you'll need to treat or prevent the chafe.

fixyernips3.jpg

No, I won't be bringing the cat :P

See you in the Park!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Last year while I was cheering, I had the idea of bringing plasters, vaseline and wet wipes for runners suffering from the dreaded chafe (I saw a lot of bloody shirts at mile 13!). This year the idea will be reality! I'm bringing my 'Fix Yer Nips' station to DCM! I'm going to be in the Phoenix Park, between mile 4 and 5 on the left hand side of Chesterfield Avenue.

For men and women: nipples, thighs, feet; whatever's hurting I'll have everything you'll need to treat or prevent the chafe.

fixyernips3.jpg

See you in the Park!

Wouldn't that mean stopping?

Itziger wrote: »

I'm going to open the plasters so all anyone has to do is rip the backing off. I'll have garbage bags too for the waste.

Vaseline pots will be open so it'll be easy enough to grab some. Same with the wet wipes.

Trust me, I've thought of what to do to make it easier and quicker for runners to get what they need. Any ideas for making it quicker, please let me know!

But those of you running for a PB will probably already have your nipples taped. Am I rite? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Tough crowd :D

• Advertisement

ligerdub wrote: »
    Tough crowd :D

I know, right! I was half-joking of course. Anyone going for a serious time ain't going to be thinking of their nipples at mile 4!!!!!!

I know, right! I was half-joking of course. Anyone going for a serious time ain't going to be thinking of their nipples at mile 4!!!!!!

Actually, I thought long and hard about where to be and Chesterfield Ave seemed perfect.
    • It's not crowded with spectators so there will be room for people to grab stuff.
    • It's early enough that if you do notice a chafe you won't have to suffer long.
    • It's not too close to the big stretches where you'll be concentrating on running, not what's on the side of the road (hills, halfway point etc).
    • It's easy for me to walk to with my signs and supplies.

I remember in 2015 meeting a guy at mile 3 who was already limping because his shoes were hurting him.

Ideally, every 20,000 runners will have prepared at home with tape, body glide, vaseline etc but from the bloody shirts I saw last year, that's not always the case. :P I just wanted to be there to help should anyone choose to stop.

It's not like I'll be forcing people to stop or chasing after bleeding runners with a plaster :cool:

Actually, I thought long and hard about where to be and Chesterfield Ave seemed perfect.
    • It's not crowded with spectators so there will be room for people to grab stuff.
    • It's early enough that if you do notice a chafe you won't have to suffer long.
    • It's not too close to the big stretches where you'll be concentrating on running, not what's on the side of the road (hills, halfway point etc).
    • It's easy for me to walk to with my signs and supplies.

I remember in 2015 meeting a guy at mile 3 who was already limping because his shoes were hurting him.

Ideally, every 20,000 runners will have prepared at home with tape, body glide, vaseline etc but from the bloody shirts I saw last year, that's not always the case. :P I just wanted to be there to help should anyone choose to stop.

It's not like I'll be forcing people to stop or chasing after bleeding runners with a plaster :cool:

Good on ya. There's nothing worse than a red stained running top. Other than stopping during a race of course!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Really wanna see TFGR chasing after people with bloody nips to take a plaster now :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

fixyernips3.jpg

See you in the Park!

It rubs the lotion on its skin lol

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

Not running this year but I will have a haribo station outside RTE to get you through the last couple of miles.

Good luck to everyone taking part.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Yep, same as last year - long walk for those in wave 4 tough  -if you're in that wave be in it at 09:10-09:15 as its a good 5 min walk to the start from there. 
    I also hope they have more toilets laid on this year, with the stewards now stopping all the men p!$$ing in every alley way (rightly so) I found the queues for the toilets really long:'( (in wave 4 anyway).

I could be in trouble so.. I be P##hing like a racehorse before taking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

AAD wrote: »
    Not running this year but I will have a haribo station outside RTE to get you through the last couple of miles.

Good luck to everyone taking part.

I will look out for you... Love a Haribo me. Rte is near the 20 mile Mark I'm I right. I usually start feeling very sorry myself around this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Remember no double tipping into the vaseline ;)

A dry needle be nice somewhere after halfway to pop the knots in the legs

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

Six more sleeps:)
    Early to bed every night this week,just need to stay away from people with the sniffles and hope the weather gods are kind to us on the day!
    Cant wait now,,,,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Some great and tips here...one more question, anyone know of any options to park near start, no early trains sunday so looking at my options

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

noelearly wrote: »
    Rte is near the 20 mile Mark I'm I right. I usually start feeling very sorry myself around this time.

Closer to the 24 mile mark i think. Almost home at that stage :-p Nice little sugar lift yo carry you yo the line.

I remember Sonia O'Sullivan passed me around that point a few years back as I was fading. I tried to give it one last kick to try to hang on til the end and finish (i.e. get in a few pictures with her!) but only lasted about 20 meters. Just didn't have it in my legs. No shame in being beaten by an Olympian though! Or so I told myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

The weather conditions shouldn't be a factor. One less item for runners, spectators and pacers to worry about.

"FRIDAY to TUESDAY will continue dry and settled with perhaps a greater chance of fog at night, and somewhat colder overnight temperatures that could promote a touch of ground frost in some inland locations, lows 2 to 7 C and highs 10 to 14 C, also light winds mostly as high pressure builds over Ireland. "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Conditions looking good so far. I am sure I will have checked the forecast another 100 times before the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Abhainn wrote: »
    The weather conditions shouldn't be a factor. One less item for runners, spectators and pacers to worry about.

"FRIDAY to TUESDAY will continue dry and settled with perhaps a greater chance of fog at night, and somewhat colder overnight temperatures that could promote a touch of ground frost in some inland locations, lows 2 to 7 C and highs 10 to 14 C, also light winds mostly as high pressure builds over Ireland. "

Perfect conditions but way too far out I think to really consider such a hopeful forecast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Met Eireann: "At the moment Sunday and Monday both look like being dry with sunny spells and light breezes."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

diego_b wrote: »
    Perfect conditions but way too far out I think to really consider such a hopeful forecast.

After the weather the last two weekends, it's great to hear even if not 100%!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭chrismean

anyone know of any 3.45 pace groups formed? i know there's 3.40 and 3.50, but i'm just awkward...
    or anyone aiming at about that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Abhainn wrote: »

So a nice clear sky, and just that little bit too cold at the start. Warming up a bit later on so you don't feel freezing when your soaked with sweat. Perfect. And I can wear my sunnies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭opus

chris85 wrote: »
    Conditions looking good so far. I am sure I will have checked the forecast another 100 times before the race.

Only a 100??? I'll probably have it sitting permanently on the front of my phone :)

Advertisement