Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 29 Oct 2017 - *** NOTE: no number transfer!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Staying in the Ballsbridge Hotel....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Is there anywhere near the finish-line where one might get a shower?

Flyfit on Baggot Street, I think they do a pay as you go day pass for €10. To be honest I put a pack of baby wipes in my bag, collect it at the end and give myself a wipe down, it freshen's you up. If you are worried about not being the cleanest going into a pub or restaurant post marathon, anywhere local tends to turn a blind eye once you wear your finishers top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭ooter

Gillo wrote: »
    anywhere local tends to turn a blind eye once you wear your finishers top.

This, in 2014 I strolled in to the shelbourne with my finisher's top on, my first and only time in there. Nice place but I didn't stay long as the pints of Guinness were north of €6. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

I saw on Lindie Naughton's blog that Freddy Sittuk is training for DCM; he's in great form over short distances so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on.
    http://lindienaughton.com/coghlan-and-cox-win-bay-10k/

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DC.

He had a shocker last year if I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Entered DCM in May. Will be my second marathon. Have been running well all year. 3 runs a week since 1st Jan so am doing grand. 20+ miles each week with a 10 mile run included each week. Have entered Amsterdam HM for middle of Oct. Will be perfect coming into the taper. Was offered and accepted entry to the New York Marathon also. Didn't realise they were only 7 days apart. I'm not a quick runner and am carrying a good bit of weight. What should I be doing in the days after DCM to aid recovery ? It's too good an opportunity to turn down so I'm going for it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Entered DCM in May. Will be my second marathon. Have been running well all year. 3 runs a week since 1st Jan so am doing grand. 20+ miles each week with a 10 mile run included each week. Have entered Amsterdam HM for middle of Oct. Will be perfect coming into the taper. Was offered and accepted entry to the New York Marathon also. Didn't realise they were only 7 days apart. I'm not a quick runner and am carrying a good bit of weight. What should I be doing in the days after DCM to aid recovery ? It's too good an opportunity to turn down so I'm going for it

I'd skip Dublin if I were you.

Flyfit on Baggot Street, I think they do a pay as you go day pass for €10. To be honest I put a pack of baby wipes in my bag, collect it at the end and give myself a wipe down, it freshen's you up. If you are worried about not being the cleanest going into a pub or restaurant post marathon, anywhere local tends to turn a blind eye once you wear your finishers top.

Thanks and from Ballsbridge to the start-line, is that far ? an easy walk ?.

Thanks and from Ballsbridge to the start-line, is that far ? an easy walk ?.
    Not far at all, although it kinda of depends where in Ballsbridge; treat it as a warm up walk. It's easy to find your way, have a look on google maps. That being said if I were you, I'd walk it on Saturday afternoon to familiarise yourself with the route to the start.

Not far at all, although it kinda of depends where in Ballsbridge; treat it as a warm up walk. It's easy to find your way, have a look on google maps. That being said if I were you, I'd walk it on Saturday afternoon to familiarise yourself with the route to the start.

Thanks, will do :) Staying in the Ballsbridge Hotel, hopefully they have an 'appropriate menu' Saturday night :)

• Advertisement

If you can't find your way from that hotel to the start you're in trouble! That's a very handy location to stay.

If you can't find your way from that hotel to the start you're in trouble! That's a very handy location to stay.
    Paying well for it, although what looked like extortion later looked like a bargain (e200 room only) as prices went 'mad' in latter 'days'....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Trying to figure out what flight I need to get and I can't seem to see on the website what time the Expo is open until on the 28th, I'm sure it's there somewhere?

An alternative scenario would be to get an earlier flight of course, but not sure if any parkruns are reachable from a flight landing at 9am?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

robinph wrote: »
    Trying to figure out what flight I need to get and I can't seem to see on the website what time the Expo is open until on the 28th, I'm sure it's there somewhere?

An alternative scenario would be to get an earlier flight of course, but not sure if any parkruns are reachable from a flight landing at 9am?

Each participant of the SSE Airtricity Dublin Marathon on Sunday October 29th 2017 will receive their race bag during registration in the main hall of the Royal Dublin Society (RDS) on Friday 27th from 12 to 7 & Saturday 28th from 9am to 7pm. http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/expo/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Rivervalley and Malahide are pretty close. Might be tough to get through arrivals etc. quickly enough though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Each participant of the SSE Airtricity Dublin Marathon on Sunday October 29th 2017 will receive their race bag during registration in the main hall of the Royal Dublin Society (RDS) on Friday 27th from 12 to 7 & Saturday 28th from 9am to 7pm. http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/expo/

Can't see the wood for the trees sometimes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Can't see the wood for the trees sometimes.

I wouldn't have known to look this early only we got a marketing email about it in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Was offered and accepted entry to the New York Marathon also. Didn't realise they were only 7 days apart. I'm not a quick runner and am carrying a good bit of weight. What should I be doing in the days after DCM to aid recovery ? It's too good an opportunity to turn down so I'm going for it

Eat well, sleep well, don't pig out on booze or junk food and get the odd walk in - if you feel like it you can do a short and easy run or 2, but only if you feel like it. Don't force it.

NYC will feel tough. Accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Signed up for this in a moment of madness. I have Berlin next month so it's in my far away thoughts. Amazing numbers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Myself and a few others from work had the same dilemma last year. I ended up sitting out Dublin and just focusing on New York, but my training had been interrupted (injury and poor discipline) so doing both would have been probably unrealistic.

One of the other lads ran Dublin more or less as a training run and PBd in New York, while the other did the opposite (prioritised Dublin, ran NYC more for the experience).

I wouldn't be near the expertise of most on here, but I'd pick one to focus on (Dublin makes more sense) and make sure to slow your pace for the other. Running New York without too much of a concern around time would be great - for me, fighting a losing battle against the clock took away quite a bit from what is most likely a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fatscally

I've been training for my first Marathon since Xmas.  I've been doing good and confident to complete it in 4:30ish.  I'm alright with that at 46.  Thing is I've done in my knee in the last 3 weeks.  I've rested a week and ran out a slow 6km only for it to flare up again.  Waited another week and tried another slow 6km for a similar result, limping the next day from pain behind the patellae.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Fatscally wrote: »
    I've been training for my first Marathon since Xmas.  I've been doing good and confident to complete it in 4:30ish.  I'm alright with that at 46.  Thing is I've done in my knee in the last 3 weeks.  I've rested a week and ran out a slow 6km only for it to flare up again.  Waited another week and tried another slow 6km for a similar result, limping the next day from pain behind the patellae.

Have you seen a physio about it? If not that'd be the first step. They'll give the advise about fixing it up well enough to race, or the recommendation about giving it a miss if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fatscally

quickbeam wrote: »
    Have you seen a physio about it?  If not that'd be the first step.  They'll give the advise about fixing it up well enough to race, or the recommendation about giving it a miss if necessary.

I'm about 90% sure I'm out at this point.  Maybe I'll get lucky and with enough rest it will come good.  But training time left - rest time = a lot of doubt.  

As above, first stop physio. Wearing the proper runners for your gait can make a big difference too, it could be worth getting that checked out too. Also concentrating on your form will help, it'll slow you down initially but once you get it right you'll reap the benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Can I transfer my number if I can't run?
    You may not give or sell your number to anyone else. You may not transfer your application to the following year or another Marathon Series Event.

Is there any danger of trains being booked out on the Saturday ? travelling from Limerick ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Is there any danger of trains being booked out on the Saturday ? travelling from Limerick ?

Normally okay and there is the option of the Bus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I booked about two weeks in advance, and I was fine, and there was UFC or something on the same weekend in Dublin and that held up. Could have done without the smell of beer on the train at 8am though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

I usually get the train up round 11:30/12ish,I always book it around a month before hand,when their offers come out ,€15 each way it usually is.Last year it was jammed.I was glad I had pre booked seats.

• Advertisement

Just booked some accommodation... gets depressed about the exchange rate. :eek:

Advertisement