Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,112 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

STB. wrote: »
    Well Francie I was actually at the game and Tyrone were the ones constantly at it. At least 3 incidents happened in front of Conor Lane, were Dublin players passing the ball were taken out in third man tackles. And he ignored them. I suspect he had a handicap bet himself!

That and the encroachment shíte that Tyrone were at when Rock was taking the frees that were actually awarded.

I guess the Monaghan thread is quite this time of the year when the medals are handed out :) The four in a row is made all the sweeter by green eyed monsters like you. Thanks for dropping by. Good Luck!!!!!

Ah great, the ref was agin us.

You own players got pinged for it, several times, did I dream that? Both teams were at it. And do leopards change their spots in the space of a year, here youse were at the gamesmanship (up there with anything Tyrone have done) last year.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/watch-dublin-forward-interfering-with-mayo-goalkeepers-kicking-tees-806672.html

Not to mention what went on before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Slattsy wrote: »
    Ah they're a great bunch of lads. Love seeing them out in Crumlin and Temple St, you can really see the joy in the kids' faces, some kids who we all know are quite ill. It could be anyones little boy or girl..

And one other thing, it's certainly no chore or PR stuff with them, you can see they really want to be there, they know they are role models for a lot of young children, what this success entails is much more than what goes on in the pitch. Humbling stuff.

It makes me very emotional seeing it.

Watching some coverage today. I was too tired last night. James McCarthy was being interviewed on the pitch straight after the game and his voice was breaking with emotion. He was so proud of his team mates...didn't mention what they achieved so much. He was just so happy to be part of it all....

Damn fella had tears welling up in my own eyes listening to him.

Special times, special team. It's great to witness it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

If the ref had black carded Small when he caught him taking a player out we might not have had so much of it.

Small took a punch to the face. Not suggesting that this be dragged up as a disciplinary matter but it was sending off offence.

Dessie Dolan thought there was "no real intent." Well, I've punched people and been punched and it is rarely unintentional!

Anyway, all Meath had to do to get Dessie to bottle that famous free that would have marked an historic victory was for Meath backs to glower at him :) He was no Dean Rock or Gooch for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Ah great, the ref was agin us.

You own players got pinged for it, several times, did I dream that? Both teams were at it. And do leopards change their spots in the space of a year, here youse were at the gamesmanship (up there with anything Tyrone have done) last year.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/watch-dublin-forward-interfering-with-mayo-goalkeepers-kicking-tees-806672.html

Not to mention what went on before that.

Ah stop now. Tyrone got away with a lot of blocking yesterday. If you were in the stadium you would have seen it. The only person who didn't was Lane..or he chose not to see it.
    Better team won. Let's leave it there. No need for this sh*ite

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Ah stop now. Tyrone got away with a lot of blocking yesterday. If you were in the stadium you would have seen it. The only person who didn't was Lane..or he chose not to see it.
    Better team won. Let's leave it there. No need for this sh*ite

I said BOTH sides were at it. And I said the better side won and congratulated youse.

Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,105 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Some raging hangover today lads and I very rarely have them. Work was one serious struggle. So I watched it with the country folk and while I thought I'd be the stand out Dub in a jersey, nope, a Tyrone native appeared out of nowhere with a local crew and got all the attention for at least 19 minutes.:D He didn't take it very well but was gracious in defeat. I may pop back in to discuss the match, but only when the bitter types have given up. While I'm a long time reader here, I got involved more this year, but there's still a lot of real haters hiding behind the faux analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Small took a punch to the face. Not suggesting that this be dragged up as a disciplinary matter but it was sending off offence.

Dessie Dolan thought there was "no real intent." Well, I've punched people and been punched and it is rarely unintentional!

Anyway, all Meath had to do to get Dessie to bottle that famous free that would have marked an historic victory was for Meath backs to glower at him :) He was no Dean Rock or Gooch for sure.

Watched the game again just now and nothing better than Dessie creamin' himself when the Dubs are on the ropes after 15 minutes.

And then having to eat humble pie 77 minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,255 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I said BOTH sides were at it. And I said the better side won and congratulated youse.

Jesus.

I haven't seen any analyst agree with you.

All said that Cavanagh should have seen black, and most that Harte should have got a red.

Both incidents were before half-time. It wasn't both sides, it was Tyrone.

Don't worry, Dublin are well used to it. Monaghan, Galway, Donegal etc. try it all the time. We don't let it bother us, we just get up and play football and win the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Watched the game again just now and nothing better than Dessie creamin' himself when the Dubs are on the ropes after 15 minutes.

And then having to eat humble pie 77 minutes later.

In all fairness Dessie would bore a dead man with the sh,,e he goes on with. Didn’t think intent was involved and he has raised his hand. RTE are getting poorer year in year out with the clowns on the football, surly there is few that could have retired with Michael like that clown Carney and Dessie and get rid of dub in the studio.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I haven't seen any analyst agree with you.

All said that Cavanagh should have seen black, and most that Harte should have got a red.

Both incidents were before half-time. It wasn't both sides, it was Tyrone.

Don't worry, Dublin are well used to it. Monaghan, Galway, Donegal etc. try it all the time. We don't let it bother us, we just get up and play football and win the game.

And what had the 'analysts' to say about Small getting booked for an off the ball block, Philly giving away a penalty for a pull down and Small getting a red? They were not the only incidents either.

No argument on the Cavanagh incident or the Harte one either. Both sides were at it as I keep saying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

We are definitely searching for a Seamus Darby type figure in Mayo in case it comes down to it.........

It will most likely (and deservedly) be Mayo if it's done.

Another fantastic team , one that would have asked more questions yesterday, genuinely more as in multiple ones than Tyrone.

I think the Mayo management situation might suit Dublin as the new Mayo man will have to bed in. There was a chance for one last push from a fresh foundation. I'm not sure if it's there now. I wonder if the lads on the board that showed no support had a plan.

When Dublin played Kerry and Mayo there were battles lost and won on the field, Dublin just won a fraction more.

I thought the Dublin line got it wrong last year by not introducing MDMA to do to mayo what he did in 2016 and to Tyrone yesterday.

But yesterday so many of the Tyrone big players were nullified. It was TOSs hammer the hammer well executed.

Sludden, Cavanagh, McCann, Donnelly were either marked or avoided it was one of Gavin's best set of match ups .

Matty Donnelly had so little impact on the game.
    You'd have to think Cavanagh hurt his leg early on.

However after the first goal when Rock stuck the two points when Cavanagh was playing sweeper showed how to play around him, they played through him and around him.

You'd have to think that a different team would target Dublin's lack of height and dodgyness under the high ball better.

Stoner wrote: »
    It will most likely (and deservedly) be Mayo if it's done.

Another fantastic team , one that would have asked more questions yesterday, genuinely more as in multiple ones than Tyrone.

I think the Mayo management situation might suit Dublin as the new Mayo man will have to bed in. There was a chance for one last push from a fresh foundation. I'm not sure if it's there now. I wonder if the lads on the board that showed no support had a plan.

When Dublin played Kerry and Mayo there were battles lost and won on the field, Dublin just won a fraction more.

I thought the Dublin line got it wrong last year by not introducing MDMA to do to mayo what he did in 2016 and to Tyrone yesterday.

But yesterday so many of the Tyrone big players were nullified. It was TOSs hammer the hammer well executed.

Sludden, Cavanagh, McCann, Donnelly were either marked or avoided it was one of Gavin's best set of match ups .

Matty Donnelly had so little impact on the game.
    You'd have to think Cavanagh hurt his leg early on.

However after the first goal when Rock stuck the two points when Cavanagh was playing sweeper showed how to play around him, they played through him and around him.

You'd have to think that a different team would target Dublin's lack of height and dodgyness under the high ball better.

Cavanagh off the boil had nothing to do with match ups or Gavin.
    He was missing in action completely yesterday.
    Watch him in the clip were McCaffery is coming at him and is offloading to Kilkenny - he was all at sea.

Harte simply didn't instruct or the Tyrone team didn't work out to put more ball into him when he went into full forward.
    As it was they got a penalty, a point from a free which could have been a goal chance had a man not got himself sent off, simply because he was in there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Cavanagh off the boil had nothing to do with match ups or Gavin. He was missing in action completely yesterday. Watch him in the clip were McCaffery is coming at him and is offloading to Kilkenny - he was all at sea.

I think his knee was bunched, as mentioned. But they went at and around him yesterday.

I think his knee was bunched, as mentioned. But they went at and around him yesterday.

They did. And it was a surprise that Harte waited so long to move him tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Cant believe that was 15 years ago, my one and only time up in the corporates - Dolan's missed free and all of a sudden the pints turned to curd like milk left out in the sun ..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Dessie Dolan is from the Martin 'There was no malice in it Ger' Carney School of Broadcasting. There is never any intent in anything, as far as he is concerned. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,255 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The problem with targetting Dublin's lack of height and dodginess under the high ball is that you have to leave two full-forwards up top.

At least one of them has to be a tower and the other able to deal with breaking ball - otherwise you won't get any return from the high balls. Give Dublin five minutes to reorganise and they will double-team a single full-forward and nullify him.

Then, if you leave two up top, then you can't have 15 behind the ball when Dublin attack. You get situations like the last two points on Sunday when Dublin could break away. If necessary, Dublin could have had goals in injury time.

As others have said, Mayo have been only team to seriously come close to beating Dublin since 2013. Kerry took handsome leads in 2013 and 2016 but folded eventually in same manner as Tyrone on Sunday.

Interesting nerdlinger fact is that Mayo are only team to have shaded Dublin in at least two big games on possession. That was based on their aggression and discipline. Not sure if they can attain those heights again. If Jimmy gets the gig, they may forget about it.

Question for victims of County Board meetings:

Could Connolly play for Vinnies for remainder of championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

As others have said, Mayo have been only team to seriously come close to beating Dublin since 2013. Kerry took handsome leads in 2013 and 2016 but folded eventually in same manner as Tyrone on Sunday.

Interesting nerdlinger fact is that Mayo are only team to have shaded Dublin in at least two big games on possession. That was based on their aggression and discipline. Not sure if they can attain those heights again. If Jimmy gets the gig, they may forget about it.

I think you are looking for answers where they dont exist.

Mayo competing with Dublin was based on Mayo having players as good as the Dubs.

There is no one on the Tyrone team that can compare with Lee Keegan, Andy Moran, Keith Higgins, the O'Sheas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭corny

There's a far simpler explanation....he's not that good. He'd struggle in every game against Dublin because of his lack of mobility. They walked around him on several occasions.

Anyway all year i've been scratching my head at the praise he's been getting.

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Mayo competing with Dublin was based on Mayo having players as good as the Dubs.

There is no one on the Tyrone team that can compare with Lee Keegan, Andy Moran, Keith Higgins, the O'Sheas.

The quality of their players is a given. Kerry also had/have highly talented individuals. Doesn't always produce a winning collective.

My point regarding aggression and discipline was that Mayo were able to pressurise Dublin in a way that no other team has been able to, thus creating turnovers. Tyrone did that for maybe first ten minutes on Sunday but couldn't sustain it and resort too much to negativity once they get even a sniff of a lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Bonniedog wrote:
    My point regarding aggression and discipline was that Mayo were able to pressurise Dublin in a way that no other team has been able to, thus creating turnovers. Tyrone did that for maybe first ten minutes on Sunday but couldn't sustain it and resort too much to negativity once they get even a sniff of a lead.

Just on that point. I think Mayo are able to keep up with Dublin mainly due to their fitness. Tyrone didn't have the legs or speedy players to keep up with the likes of McCaffrey or McCarthy for 70 mins.

If Tyrone put more effort into cardio over trying to tear lumps out of the Dublin players they might have been able to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭muddle84

blanch152 wrote: »

The problem with targetting Dublin's lack of height and dodginess under the high ball is that you have to leave two full-forwards up top.

At least one of them has to be a tower and the other able to deal with breaking ball - otherwise you won't get any return from the high balls. Give Dublin five minutes to reorganise and they will double-team a single full-forward and nullify him.

Then, if you leave two up top, then you can't have 15 behind the ball when Dublin attack. You get situations like the last two points on Sunday when Dublin could break away. If necessary, Dublin could have had goals in injury time.
    You pretty much summed up how they handled Aiden O'Shea up front in 2015. You win that ball but once your on the ground you're going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭muddle84

corny wrote: »

There's a far simpler explanation....he's not that good. He'd struggle in every game against Dublin because of his lack of mobility. They walked around him on several occasions.

Anyway all year i've been scratching my head at the praise he's been getting.
    He seemed to be the only player that actually wanted to beat the dubs on the pitch last year though. This year he was anonymous though. Maybe he is overated or maybe his marker on Sunday isn't getting enough credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Gael85

Question for victims of County Board meetings:

Could Connolly play for Vinnies for remainder of championship?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I was very surprised to see him get up from that. Images of Tom Parson came flashing back when I seen it, wouldn't be surprised if there was some significant damage done that he played through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Agreed. But if Mayo players are and can be as good as the Dubs, it calls into question all those other, other threads which cry foul over Dublin's dominance and the need for them to be divided into 2, 4, 6 or 8 or whatever other handicap some people are calling for.

Gael85 wrote: »
    Yes

Explains why bookies are not pricing SFC as far as I can make out.

Ballymun still stand out team but lost packet on them last year so not going to dabble on overall outcome.

Dark horse for me is Raheny. Good/excellent from 1 to 9. Struggle for scores against better defences like Ballymun and Vinnies.

Huge game Friday week against Crokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Explains why bookies are not pricing SFC as far as I can make out.

Ballymun still stand out team but lost packet on them last year so not going to dabble on overall outcome.

Dark horse for me is Raheny. Good/excellent from 1 to 9. Struggle for scores against better defences like Ballymun and Vinnies.

Huge game Friday week against Crokes.

Raheny have no bench though, that is thier main problem, I thought the group system would suit them better, but they still managed to throw away games, even though they had lots of possession, silly mistakes.

As long as Ballymun avoid vincents in ANY match they might have some hope!
    In fairness to the Ballymun lads they have lots of mileage in those legs from playing for the Dubs.
    They always look a bit disjointed, try too hard, then crumble under pressure (normally from Vincents).

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement