Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Is he still here lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,380 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There are a few who have said it 'was all Tyrone' on Sunday and when it was pointed out that Dublin lost a player, had a penalty awarded against etc they went silent on it. Rock hit a Tyrone player in the chest after scoring a point in the classic kind of wind up stuff all players engage in these days.
    Some of you guys need to get over it.

BTW I think I enjoy any game Dublin are playing in. They are the top team in the country, how would you not enjoy them being challenged?

I enjoyed the game anyway Tyrone gave it a good lash they definitely had Dublin rattled in the first 20 minutes.
    If Mannion missed the pen dragged it wide like in the laois game who knows what would have happened?

The Dubs would not have got this far if they did not have an edege on the field mixed with an abundance of skill and courage.
    All teams need that mixture.
    If the balance is not right it would not function.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Slattsy wrote: »
    And as i touched on, looking forward to reading your passionate observations when Dublin are not playing ;)

If I remember correctly, he wasn't so keen on Tyrone just after they beat Monaghan. Some choice words then.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,448 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I enjoyed the game anyway Tyrone gave it a good lash they definitely had Dublin rattled in the first 20 minutes.
    If Mannion missed the pen dragged it wide like in the laois game who knows what would have happened?

The Dubs would not have got this far if they did not have an edege on the field mixed with an abundance of skill and courage.
    All teams need that mixture.
    If the balance is not right it would not function.

I fully enjoyed the final. It was a good game.
    My young fella was fervently against Tyrone winning it because of the Monaghan game but switched to Tyrone after they got the great start.
    I think the reason was because they made an honest effort of it tbh.
    They will be the team to beat in Ulster next year the way they are improving.

blanch152 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, he wasn't so keen on Tyrone just after they beat Monaghan. Some choice words then.

Did I claim Monaghan were saints, Beggan was the best goalie on the planet etc? :D

Correct, I didn't.

Here was my view, more or less.
    Just back.
    Not seen the highlights but Monaghan were a few beats off the pace of the game.
    I knew after 10 or 15 minutes it was going to be very close.

As I posted in the rules thread, all you want as a player or supporter is consistency in refereeing and it was non existent today.

Am happy with a great summer's entertainment from a team I know will bounce back to being one of the top four in the country.

and in answer to another poster.

spurshero wrote:
    Tyrone got the rub of the green today .there not an easy team to like .dibs will beat them pulling up
    Absolutely they did. On another day Cavanagh doesn't intercept McCarron...or Rory pulls off the point and we'd have won.
    Hard to stomach, but that is the game we all love.

and on Tyrone, here is what I said:
    There isn't much to like tonight about Tyrone, but they came an they won today.
    As the Ulster side I will be supporting them against Dublin. Other than my own team I think stopping a dominant side is the job of the rest of us. And it will be done, sooner or later.

Maybe check before you try to misrepresent me, to try and make your own position credible.

• Advertisement

Did I claim Monaghan were saints, Beggan was the best goalie on the planet etc? :D

Correct, I didn't.

Here was my view, more or less.

and in answer to another poster.

and on Tyrone, here is what I said:

Maybe check before you try to misrepresent me, to try and make your own position credible.

Yup, you complained about the referee, bad luck and said there wasn't much to like about Tyrone.

Thanks for doing my research for me. :D

blanch152 wrote: »
    Yup, you complained about the referee, bad luck and said there wasn't much to like about Tyrone.

Thanks for doing my research for me. :D
    I have consistently complained about refs, I complained about Sunday's one too. And the reason - not that he didn't see us as 'whiter than white' (like some Dubs seem to want their team to be seen when they are not wanting them to be seen as the GOAT :rolleyes:) but because he simply wasn't consistent in what he did. The bane of GAA football for a long time, club and county.

'wasn't much to like about them on that night', the night they beat us. but I would be supporting them as the Ulster team in the final?

Choice words were they? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Ewan McKenna is spewing out all his usual articles. Good to see he is getting called out over his crap on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

kilns wrote: »
    Ewan McKenna is spewing out all his usual articles. Good to see he is getting called out over his crap on Twitter

At least Kimmage will have to up his game and write a new article seeing as how Jim Gavin smiled this year.. The other fella is robbing a living

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It's impressive to see him get paid for the same article multiple times

• Advertisement

Maybe it's because what McKenna is saying has to be said over and over again?
    It is usually what happens when reform is necessary.
    The Dub circling of the wagons whenever somebody says something against them is hilarious. It really is.
    You will still be competitive when they eventually act, you just won't have the advantages nobody else has.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Maybe it's because what McKenna is saying has to be said over and over again?
    It is usually what happens when reform is necessary.
    The Dub circling of the wagons whenever somebody says something against them is hilarious. It really is.
    You will still be competitive when they eventually act, you just won't have the advantages nobody else has.

No because he is wrong he bangs the drum about Dublin continue to receive excess funding than other counties from the GAA and government and that’s simply a lie since the start of 2017. No body denies that Dublin received more funding in the preceding period but he continues to say they are and it’s lies. I don’t understand why pundit arena, Independent etc allow him to write virtually write the same article each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

His meltdowns are comedy gold when someone challenges him on his strange grasp of sums, just like they did here. He doesn't seem to be able to grasp that people will challenge the numbers that he pulls out of his arse and "interprets" in his own unique way. God love him, he can't quite understand that not everyone takes what he says as gospel truth.

Anyway, there are 25,987 other threads set up to discuss and debate this very thing. I've little interest in seeing this thread degenerate as quickly as others do. So without further ado, how was everyones weekend? How are the noggins? Tummies able to keep down solid food yet? Anyone bought shares in flat 7Up yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

Watched the match back again. Never seen so many conversations happen on a pitch during a game. The Dublin defenders were in each others ear the entire second half. Thats probably where McMahon earns his crust. Anyone notice him grabbing Small as he was sent off telling him to "walk off slow".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Sorted. Tralee booked for February.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Sorted. Tralee booked for February.

No warm welcome for the Dubs:).. chalk and cheese in comparison to Killarney

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

DoctaDee wrote: »
    No warm welcome for the Dubs:).. chalk and cheese in comparison to Killarney

I dont think i've been in a rougher place in my life.

And i was in Carlow town once!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

That's not fair on Carlow.:D I was there in 2002 when we played Wexford in the championship. The locals welcomed us and we lit a fire on a grassy terrace to thank them. Carlow wasn't the problem.:eek: A streaker too that day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

It is mostly the, ahem, émigré community that is at the root of most of the trouble. It can indeed be a mad kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Gael85

Grandeeod wrote: »
    That's not fair on Carlow.:D I was there in 2002 when we played Wexford in the championship. The locals welcomed us and we lit a fire on a grassy terrace to thank them. Carlow wasn't the problem.:eek: A streaker too that day!

A streaker that day? Was at least 5,6 lads that done the full monty and not a steward in sight. Ireland, Cameroon was on that morning and people stayed drinking for the day.

• Advertisement

Here is a great article on the Dublin problem in football: https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/ewan-mackenna-gaelic-football-is-dying-and-if-the-dublin-problem-isnt-tackled-it-will-soon-be-in-the-ground-37282516.html
    Between 2005 and 2009, the government made €5m available to them and them alone. Between 2010 and 2014, in central games development money, per registered player, Tyrone got €21, Mayo €22, Kerry €19, while Dublin got €274.40. In that category, between 2007 and 2017, Dublin received €16.6m from the association, Tyrone were bang around the average of the rest at €560,000. When their 2016 accounts were leaked, they showed they'd spent €523,954 on office salaries and €134,557 on miscellaneous.

Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Feck the lot of ye, Tralee is grand. :D

Ye're just jumped up Yanks falling for the Killarney tourist trap.

Plus a packed ASP beats a half empty Fitz Stadium (despite having to arrive an hour and a half early to get a seat)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Gael85 wrote: »
    A streaker that day? Was at least 5,6 lads that done the full monty and not a steward in sight. Ireland, Cameroon was on that morning and people stayed drinking for the day.

It was an early start alright after the WC game. I started in a pub, then a train and traded smokes for beer on the train with one defo streaker. I wasn't too young either. 31 at the time. Ashamed of myself!

Gael85 wrote: »

Aha....finally an explanation of how the Carlow jersey came to be.

Someone in the Carlow Co Board got a little too drunk and a little too excited that day and the rest is history.

It all makes sense now.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Aha....finally an explanation of how the Carlow jersey came to be.

Someone in the Carlow Co Board got a little too drunk and a little too excited that day and the rest is history.

It all makes sense now.

I think you're making that up PD- Cameroon played in white that day,....:o

Ok, someone from Carlow with a Kildare Mammy then so. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

No because he is wrong he bangs the drum about Dublin continue to receive excess funding than other counties from the GAA and government and that’s simply a lie since the start of 2017. No body denies that Dublin received more funding in the preceding period but he continues to say they are and it’s lies. I don’t understand why pundit arena, Independent etc allow him to write virtually write the same article each time.

Easy to keep stating Dublin get more funding, but it’s all about how it is used to promote the game and grass roots and is the same in all counties, the biggest problem in most counties is the county board wasting money on themselves.
    Example three years ago neighbours young lad was on the minor panel and went to Longford for a game and on the way back stopped at pre arranged hotel for food. The panel was sent into one room for tea and sandwich and the county board guys/ supporters into another for a carvary lunch. This opened the young lads eyes in what was though of the players.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Ok, someone from Carlow with a Kildare Mammy then so. ;)

:D that makes perfect sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Colm Parkinson spoke an awful lot of sense on his podcast with Jarluth Burns. Gaa have failed the rest of the country.
    I think the funding Dublin were given initially is ok , but it being allowed to continue consistently year after year whilst the Dublin county board can afford to fund it themselves is wrong.
    Also ignoring every other county in the country at the same time, ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Colm Parkinson spoke an awful lot of sense on his podcast with Jarluth Burns. Gaa have failed the rest of the country.
    I think the funding Dublin were given initially is ok , but it being allowed to continue consistently year after year whilst the Dublin county board can afford to fund it themselves is wrong.
    Also ignoring every other county in the country at the same time, ridiculous.

Except it hasn't continued consistently year after year and is now less than it was.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement