Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭muddle84

yaboya1 wrote: »
    doc_17 wrote: »
    Well done to Dublin winning the game today in a ground that they have already played in 8/9 times already this year against a team that played there today for the 2nd time this year.

Very poor.
    You think you'd at least get your facts right first.
    Just wondering which bit is incorrect? (I'm not arguing for or against any point btw) I just thought his numbers were right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Id say Ewan McKenna is currently writing his hate speech article as we speak, we should see it in the next few days, he is so predictable:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,255 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No excuses from me, just commenting on the game I saw.

Where you there?

It is not possible to offer a comment on "off-the-ball" actions from watching a match in your sitting-room as too much of it is missed by the immediate camera. You need to be at a game to be able to see what is going on.

At best therefore, your comments are uninformed.

kilns wrote: »
    Id say Ewan McKenna is currently writing his hate speech article as we speak, we should see it in the next few days, he is so predictable:D

His attempts to wind-up Tyrone and boost the siege mentality in his last article about Mickey Harte fell flat on their face.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I watched the game on TV; hard to say in retrospect if Dublin were ever potentially 'in trouble'.

But for sure, when Tyrone went 5 - 1 up, I'm sure Dubs fans were a bit uncomfortable. A goal then for Tyrone would really have ruffled the Dubs.

But instead what we had was an absolutely incredible kick out from Cluxton to McCaffrey that led to a point from Kilkenny. For me it was the turning point in the game.

The other point, Darragh O'Se's column last wednesday I think called it very well; regarding how Tyrone play. His two points were
    - they will go at you like a whirlwind for 15 or 20 minutes and hope to build up enough of a lead in that time to hold on for the rest of the game.
    - back in 2007/08 they had the personnel to exploit that 15 -20 minutes and to hold on for the remainder; they dont now.

I think this describes the game really well yesterday, because for all the superlatives describing the Dubs, really Tyrone should have scored 6 or 7 points more than they actually did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,112 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Where you there?

It is not possible to offer a comment on "off-the-ball" actions from watching a match in your sitting-room as too much of it is missed by the immediate camera. You need to be at a game to be able to see what is going on.

At best therefore, your comments are uninformed.

You could see it clearly on the telly for goodness sake. Smalls got caught red handed early in the game. You could see men with the tell tale slowness to react.
    If you go to club football and follow your county team to matches, you know exactly what is going on.

I had a brother and brother in law at the game and they were commenting on whats app all during the game on it. My brother in law is from Ballinteer, and even he remarked on it.
    We have also a few neutrals commenting on it here. So put the rose tinted glasses back in their case. You are not going to be believed.

You could see it clearly on the telly for goodness sake. Smalls got caught red handed early in the game. You could see men with the tell tale slowness to react.
    If you go to club football and follow your county team to matches, you know exactly what is going on.

I had a brother and brother in law at the game and they were commenting on whats app all during the game on it. My brother in law is from Ballinteer, and even he remarked on it.
    We have also a few neutrals commenting on it here. So put the rose tinted glasses back in their case. You are not going to be believed.

So you weren't there and are relying on second-hand reports. Noted.

blanch152 wrote: »
    So you weren't there and are relying on second-hand reports. Noted.

Yeh, the lads had to tell me that Philly rugby tackled Cavanagh to the ground, Smalls wrapped his arms around a Tyrone player like he loved him, that again and again players were uncharacteristically slow to the ball etc etc.

You didn't get away with painting your side as saints, there are plenty saying the same as me, get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Another Sam for Dublin. All that can stop them winning five is themselves and complacency.
    I cant see that happening. There's a line of talent coming through that Jim Gavin can draw on so any "established" player really has to watch his back.
    Its hard to see where the opposition is coming from as the usual contenders are a bit mixed up. Kerry will have a new manager, Mayo have pushed the self destruct button as usual, Mickey could call it a day in Tyrone. The Super 8 ( not that I saw any Super 8) suits Dublin as they are not getting any competition in Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

They are all little petty things and Dublin can do it just as good as anyone if they want but the difference is teams like Tyrone have to do it to try and compete
    Sometimes its the small things that go unnoticed which are the very sneaky things which teams like Tyrone are "very good" at.  For example there was one example, when Rock lifted his jersey up and you could see a red mark on his body, that is from pinching hard which opposition players hope for a reaction from, everyone does it but when you see someone reacting out of nothing it usually those type of things which make them react.   It is a sign of this Dublin team that they rarely react as they know they just have to wait and they will eventually will come out on top and get their revenge that way.
    It was nice reading Saint Mickey in the Independent, saying its not sour grapes but...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

muddle84 wrote: »
    Just wondering which bit is incorrect? (I'm not arguing for or against any point btw) I just thought his numbers were right?

Tyrone weren't playing there for the 2nd time this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭muddle84

yaboya1 wrote: »
    muddle84 wrote: »

Tyrone weren't playing there for the 2nd time this year.
    Of course!! They played in it in the Super 8's too. So they played three times in Croke Park this year?

They are all little petty things and Dublin can do it just as good as anyone if they want but the difference is teams like Tyrone have to do it to try and compete
    Sometimes its the small things that go unnoticed which are the very sneaky things which teams like Tyrone are "very good" at.  For example there was one example, when Rock lifted his jersey up and you could see a red mark on his body, that is from pinching hard which opposition players hope for a reaction from, everyone does it but when you see someone reacting out of nothing it usually those type of things which make them react.   It is a sign of this Dublin team that they rarely react as they know they just have to wait and they will eventually will come out on top and get their revenge that way.
    It was nice reading Saint Mickey in the Independent, saying its not sour grapes but...

The difference is some teams integrate the nasty stuff as essential parts of their gameplay. Tyrone are one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I had a 10er on Scully to score the first goal. Stupid Mannion scoring penalties and ruining my bet!

Just catching up on TSG now, what a game. The head isn't too bad either.

Really thought we controlled that game once we got the penalty, it was never in doubt.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well done lads, better team all year and barely tested again yesterday. Can't see ye been beaten next year again unless the squad go on the beer for a year. Enjoy your celebrations.
    Mayo to be the Offaly of the 80's ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No. They only ever let him use crayons on Mondays. It's for his own safety and the safety of all the other inmates. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Yeh, the lads had to tell me that Philly rugby tackled Cavanagh to the ground, Smalls wrapped his arms around a Tyrone player like he loved him, that again and again players were uncharacteristically slow to the ball etc etc.

You didn't get away with painting your side as saints, there are plenty saying the same as me, get over it.

Will you get his name right at least, it’s Small not Smalls!

McCanns early point, as he runs away he hits Mannion in the stomach, much more forceful than the Harte-Small incident. Delighted he gave the penalty away & was looking at Kilkennys arse for the rest of the game.

EICVD wrote: »
    McCanns early point, as he runs away he hits Mannion in the stomach, much more forceful than the Harte-Small incident. Delighted he gave the penalty away & was looking at Kilkennys arse for the rest of the game.

It's 'McCann's' and 'Kilkenny's' actually, to be similarly pedantic. ;)

It's 'McCann's' and 'Kilkenny's' actually, to be similarly pedantic. ;)

Tanx 4 ur input

• Advertisement

Tanx 4 ur input

Dats very 'bigs' of you! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Well done Dublin see Irish begrugary is at its best, its good to see the four in a row completed by two lienster teams this century in hurling football.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

U ok hunzos?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yobr

When non Dublin GAA fans have used all of their excuses and have started clutching at straws to denigrate Dublins achievements, you know youre onto a winner.

Correct, there are a number on this forum who try and disguise their contempt for Dublin with their “analysis”. Anyone who disagrees is labled as “arrogant”.
    They feel let down that Mickey Harte tactical genius came up short and there other last hope that “dublin only win by a point” didnt work either so they resort to snide remarks. The fact that Morgan gave us 1-2 seems lost on them.

Who took out Mannion early on? It was 3-1 for Tyrone and Mannion ended up on the floor off the ball. I didn't see that incident.

Cavanagh should have got black before half-time and while Small made a meal of it, any strike to the face is a red card and Harte should have been off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Ah they're a great bunch of lads. Love seeing them out in Crumlin and Temple St, you can really see the joy in the kids' faces, some kids who we all know are quite ill. It could be anyones little boy or girl..

And one other thing, it's certainly no chore or PR stuff with them, you can see they really want to be there, they know they are role models for a lot of young children, what this success entails is much more than what goes on in the pitch. Humbling stuff.

It makes me very emotional seeing it.

If the ref had black carded Small when he caught him taking a player out we might not have had so much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

If my aunty had balls...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

There was lots of off the ball stuff going on. Both teams were dragging pulling and blocking runs.

Smalls got pinged for it, Philly was at it all day and cost them a penalty. Tyrone did their share too.

It's a tired cliche now whenever Tyrone play that they are the only ones doing it.

Well Francie I was actually at the game and Tyrone were the ones constantly at it. At least 3 incidents happened in front of Conor Lane, were Dublin players passing the ball were taken out in third man tackles. And he ignored them. I suspect he had a handicap bet himself!

That and the encroachment shíte that Tyrone were at when Rock was taking the frees that were actually awarded.

I guess the Monaghan thread is quite this time of the year when the medals are handed out :) The four in a row is made all the sweeter by green eyed monsters like you. Thanks for dropping by. Good Luck!!!!!

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    Well done lads, better team all year and barely tested again yesterday. Can't see ye been beaten next year again unless the squad go on the beer for a year. Enjoy your celebrations.
    Mayo to be the Offaly of the 80's ;)

Yes, the best team of the year deservedly won this year's A.I.

We are definitely searching for a Seamus Darby type figure in Mayo in case it comes down to it.........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement