Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrorist Attack in Manchester (Read MOD WARNING in OP Updated 24/05/2017))

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

P_1 wrote: »
    I don't think there is too much residential areas there though. Isn't Victoria essentially bordered by the Arndale and the river?

Sky just had a quote from somebody in a nearby apartment block so taking that at face value there must be some residential units. Would need to be a pretty big speaker for someone in another building to hear it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

P_1 wrote: »
    I don't think there is too much residential areas there though. Isn't Victoria essentially bordered by the Arndale and the river?
    It's Chethams Music School, the Printworks which is shops, restaurants and a cinema, the National Football Museum and those new tower blocks just off the Bury Old Road, with some older buildings in the direction of Strangeways. Other than the station and car park though nothing is as close as 50m to the Arena itself

• Registered Users Posts: 35,749 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Beyondgone wrote: »
    Does sound to be along them lines. People are jumpy.

Hmm I dunno, reports of people with blood on them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Hmm twitter - I assume twit is in there for a reason
    Simon Rowntree‏ @SRowntree0161 15m15 minutes ago

Unconfirmed reports here in #Manchester that the IRA have performed an attack on the arena so that Patrick Roberts does not return to #MCFC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭Jeff2

seamus wrote: »
    It's fake. It's an old photo.

All it takes is one sick fncker to post a fake photo on twatter and it spreads like wildfire.

Don't believe any photos or videos that you don't see on BBC.

The BBC shay really.lol :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

If there's any news it will appear on the news aggregators first, nothing concrete so far, other than Ariana Grande is 'ok'

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Hot+Topics/Manchester+Arena+Incident

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They wouldnt be shutting down the train services for a speaker blowing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,389 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It is too early to tell if it is a diversity incident or a false alarm, that outlets like Sky are reporting it as a bomb like event and the police are asking people to avoid the area suggests it is more than a false alarm.

They would have quashed the panic before now if there was only a false alarm, hopefully it is not so but it is following a predictable pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

A witness telling BBC that he saw injuries potentially being caused by a crush.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,916 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hopefully its nothing serious and it was just a tech problem

saw a show in that arena in 2015

heading to London in a few weeks for a concert bit iffy about it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Hmm twitter - I assume twit is in there for a reason
    Simon Rowntree‏ @SRowntree0161 15m15 minutes ago

Unconfirmed reports here in #Manchester that the IRA have performed an attack on the arena so that Patrick Roberts does not return to #MCFC

Some of the stupid, glib tweets just infuriate me. Pricks

It's been over an hour, where's the bloodied people etc.? Any panic like that (with many injuries or not) will lead to an incident being declared and protocols being followed, such as not having people queueing for trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Danzy wrote: »
    It is too early to tell if it is a diversity incident or a false alarm, that outlets like Sky are reporting it as a bomb like event and the police are asking people to avoid the area suggests it is more than a false alarm.

They would have quashed the panic before now if there was only a false alarm, hopefully it is not so but it is following a predictable pattern.

Diversity incident? That's a new euphemism to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

They said they were blocked, not that they shut them down. Could simply be an abundance of people or emergency vehicles blocking the lines, like what could happen to the luas at the Point.

https://twitter.com/NewsThisSecond/status/866783886193430528

You would have to wonder what they saw or heard to be fleeing like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I was in Manchester 9 years ago. Feel blessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,389 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Nothing to see here, if it was anything serious there'd be pictures all over social media straight away.

I'd say only injuries are from crush getting out

That hasn't happened yet, in the many numerous attacks across Europe to date.

I get your point though and I agree that it would seem likely but when the blood is on the floor people seem to have their priorities straight and that is understandable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

https://twitter.com/NewsThisSecond/status/866783886193430528

You would have to wonder what they saw or heard to be fleeing like that.

Maybe nothing, but other people running, imagination runs wild and the panic snowballs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Birneybau wrote: »
    Diversity incident? That's a new euphemism to me.
    Eh... yeah. You and me both. "Diversity incident"? GTFO. Good Lord.
    PTH2009 wrote:
    hopefully its nothing serious and it was just a tech problem
    You and me both P. Folks have become so (naturally) twitchy about such things, but I really hope it's what you said and few people are hurt. Sad event, regardless. :(

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Slattsy wrote: »
    I was in Manchester 9 years ago. Feel blessed.

Ye had a close call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,937 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

2 people were crushed to death in a night club where i lived in the UK when there was a stampede to not miss the last bus back, so I can well believe there are crush injuries if people have panicked hearing the bangs. Police won't take any chances until they know exactly what's going on, protocols galore, understandably, for possible terrorist incidents.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Rekop dog wrote: »

I'd say only injuries are from crush getting out
    Took me probably 10 mins or so to get out last night. 6000-10000 people panicking could take longer

That twitter feed has a lot of fake stuff on it and cocks. Some people really are simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Gmp on Facebook are saying a number of fatalities

People confirmed dead

• Registered Users Posts: 11,555 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

If it's an exercise, the people in the arena are taking it seriously from feed on news channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Maybe nothing, but other people running, imagination runs wild and the panic snowballs.
    You see the nonsense and wild claims that appear during every incident.

All it takes is one moron to say "that sounds like gunfire", the twenty people around him panic, and before you know it there are 1,000 people rushing for a small exit because some balloons were popped.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Sky saying number of fatalities...Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 37,916 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wibbs wrote: »
    Eh... yeah. You and me both. "Diversity incident"? GTFO. Good Lord.

You and me both P. Folks have become so (naturally) twitchy about such things, but I really hope it's what you said and few people are hurt. Sad event, regardless. :(

not sounding good :(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Advertisement