Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic Chat. (MOD NOTE post# 3949 and post#5279)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

:)

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Melania Capitan,in cae you haven't heard about this
    She was a Spanish 24 year old huntress who killed herself last week because of online anti hunting bullying on FB and twitter.Not content with getting her to kill herself these lowlife pond scum finish off by even filling her FB page with abuse.....:mad::mad:
    These are the kind of people we are up against ,keyboard social justice warriors and little big men. So just a heads up if you ,youur son or daughter or any relative who hunts and posts stuff online be perepared for this kind of sht possibly coming your way..Do not stop posting,but just remember there are 30 year olds still living in their parents spare bedrooms,who have nothing better to do than make someones onlife life miserable.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭gunny123

It's easy to be brave on the internet. Pond life. But online bullying has never bothered me, as i never seen the attraction of posting what you are doing on the web for the world to see.

Hope fully the final kick in the Irish peoples teeth of the Celtic Tiger disaster. It makes an utter mockery of doing anything academic when an utter buffoon gets awarded one for sheer incompetance.Still,I suppose the Nobel peace prize is about as valueable these days too,when they handed one to Barrack Obama.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

...and to Yasser Arafat.

tac

It seems to be the season for all the rubbish to come out of the woodwork, bertie, cowan and in the uk war-monger in chief, blair.

The " Three Amigos" ride again! We just need one more and we have "the four horsemen of the Apocalypse" instead.:eek:

If you want to see unbelieveable skill with a bow, watch this video, Lars Anderson makes legolas from lotr look like a donkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

• Advertisement

How do you mean "actual archers" Sparks ? Strikes me he is an actual archer after seeing what he could do in that video.

I mean people who do actual archery, both competitive and for historical/archeological research purposes (eg. figuring out how the mongols made their bows, that kind of thing). They've pointed out that he's using a very light bow compared to normal hunting bows or warbows, that some of the arrows he's using are basically designed to let you do the tricks he's doing with them (the ones he shoots or catches), and that basic physics means you can't do some of those things in the context that he says you can (if you were fast enough to catch an ordinary arrow shot from an ordinary hunting bow for example, it's speed and kinetic energy is sufficient to strip the skin off your hands and it wouldn't stop).

I mean, come on, if it takes you 14 attempts to get something to work on film using a weak bow and trick arrows, it's not really valid to claim the technique works in the general case.

Back in the day, I used to shoot a modern replication of a 17thC Turkish Jannisary short recurve bow as a demonstration. It had actually been made in the late '50's for instructional purposes, and I collected it from the maker in the early '70's when I was living in Ankara for a short while on my Turkish language course.

Although I was a well-versed archer, and shot in both longbow and modern recurve sports, this bow nigh-on crippled me just in the stringing, and shooting it with the correct thumb-ring style was a difficult thing to manage at best from standing, let alone sitting on a galloping horse while other folks shot THEIR arrows at you.

When tillered to ensure that I, with my 'standard' 28" draw-length length could shoot it safely, it measured just a tad over 116 pounds

Watching this gentleman rapid-shooting a bow that may have a draw-weight at around 20# or so, as noted in the link quoted above is still clever, but that's all it is.

The other point made in the link is that 'British archers in warfare often pulled as much as 100#. This is patently untrue, since many of the warbows found on the Mary Rose would have had draw weights exceeding 140# and modern longbow shooters regularly shoot in warbows of that kind of draw-weight.

The bow that I shot for a demo that never actually went on TV put a contemporary bodkin-style arrow through both sides of a set of modern chain mail at twenty or so yards, sticking almost a foot out of the back.

tac

gunny123 wrote: »
    war-monger in chief, blair.

Sir, these are among the truest words you have ever written here.

tac

The thing is sparks, the archers of old were so physically developed, they were actually deformed. They had by order of the king, to practise daily with the bow. As tac says the old bows had massive draw weights.

The fact the chappie in the video is using a light bow is down to his lack of strength not skill.

Doesn't matter if he's strong or not gunny, the whole "catching arrows" thing has been tested before; if you don't use lightweight arrows and light poundage bows, the thing not only doesn't work, it can't work because of physics. And that's not counting the need for a lot of coordination between archer and catcher.

As to the other tricks... yeah, I don't buy that they're anything more than tricks. Sure, funny to look at and very fast, but... not solid. Being able to get arrows out of the bow fast and being able to hit the target with the arrows fast, those are not the same thing. And that's not a very contrarian viewpoint from what I can tell. For example: http://www.theinfinitecurve.com/archery/bad-archery-pt-251/

No author, but it seems someone somewhere pissed on someone's Mc Happy meal.
    Any idea what this is about?seems to be a very long and tiresome way of making a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    No author, but it seems someone somewhere pissed on someone's Mc Happy meal.
    Any idea what this is about?seems to be a very long and tiresome way of making a few quid.

That's just crazy.

I didn't know Ireland had such a roaring trade in high end African game guns!

ezra_ wrote: »
    That's just crazy.

With a pair of Holland & Holland or Churchill or even Wm Evans super-grade shotguns costing up to £1/4M it seems to me to be an easy way...

tac

No idea what they're motivated by, but that article is fundamentally wrong because it's mixing up being licenced to possess something and actually being the owner of that thing. Those are wholly separate things in Irish firearms legislation. Which is why you can have multiple people with licences for the same firearm, and is a fundamental part of the training licence.

And I'm reasonably sure it's not Garda policy to issue licences for firearms before the owner imports them, but a legal necessity because without the licence, an ordinary non-RFD person cannot import a firearm legally unless they physically go and fetch it in person.

• Advertisement

ezra_ wrote: »
    That's just crazy.

Yes there are people with some very lovely high end guns in Ireland and although i have not the deep pockets to splurge on one (or a pair), i have been luckey enough to handle and inspect some. The last was a nice mauser actioned Holland and Holland in .375 H&H.

Also people do buy these guns as an investment.

Unless this is a very high-end product, I can't see that much benefit in this whole process.Setting up shell companies might be easy in the Irl/Uk zone.It's not on the continent and they are audited regularly, if not more so, for this very reason of tax avoidance or criminal misuse.

I think the grist of this is in the last paragraph regarding ammo sales which would be more lucrative, but again this makes no sense, as ammo being classified as an "explosive" here and as dangerous goods by shipping companies and airlines are harder to shift about than a firearm.Plus ASFIK all "explosive" shipments must have a unique tracking number in the EU these days issued by the seller. Whether this applies to ammo I don't know, but again this whole thing seems to be at odds with the situation on the ground.
    If it is so, I wish they would go to Germany and start bulk buying surplus NATO 7.62 and 9mm en masse. 230/250 euros for 1000 rounds.Selling that lot at even 400 euros would be cheap over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Sparks wrote: »
    No idea what they're motivated by, but that article is fundamentally wrong because it's mixing up being licenced to possess something and actually being the owner of that thing. Those are wholly separate things in Irish firearms legislation. Which is why you can have multiple people with licences for the same firearm, and is a fundamental part of the training licence.

And I'm reasonably sure it's not Garda policy to issue licences for firearms before the owner imports them, but a legal necessity because without the licence, an ordinary non-RFD person cannot import a firearm legally unless they physically go and fetch it in person.

That article is very badly written and it makes lots of dodgy statements towards the end it seems to stop in mid stream.

Was wondering when Mr. Luty[RIP] was going to make it here. Slight mistake on Ian's video, he was ratted out by the photographer of the book who was anti gun, otherwise, Plod would never have known about it.

He is away with the fairies himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/senior-garda-to-get-lessons-in-upholding-the-law-and-behaving-honestly-36010034.html

1000 senior Gardai to take course on doing their job in an honest manner.
    Window dressing. What's to say some senior Gardai won't continue to interpret the Firearms Act incorrectly to suit their own agenda after doing this course?

And there's another article today in the Indo saying that the EU has been called in to investigate financial irregularities in Templemore, with the Garda who reported them asking for quick action as he is in fear of retribution from elements within his own organisation. People like this whistleblower need supporting.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/eu-antifraud-agency-launches-full-inquiry-into-garda-college-slush-fund-36010039.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

There are about 200,000 or more licensed firearms holders in this country and we're the largest (law-abiding) section of the population that has regular interaction with AGS through mandatory licensing.

It goes without saying that we all know that these scandals only involve a section of the force and that there are many Gardai who are horrified by all this.

AGS would be a much better force if (1) they left the Troubles mentality behind (when they were given a free hand to do as they wished) and (2) a separate security organisation - MI5-style- is spun out from AGS.

Advertisement