Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspected Terrorist Attack in Paris

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

He grew up somewhere where nobody watched Swedish TV, the Swedish team, films, it was all satellite channels and videotapes from the homeland.

Csax0RyXgAEc2AR.jpg

Migrant neighbourhood in Zaandam.
    98% of The Netherlands has access to cable(tv).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭Dublin Pintman

So where's next on the European Tour of Islamic Peace and Tolerance? My bet is Germany, been too long since they had some fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

So where's next on the European Tour of Islamic Peace and Tolerance? My bet is Germany, been too long since they had some fun.

What do you suggest as a solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

greencap wrote: »

Make guns illegal? Everyone says that would work for America?:confused:

No...wait...

We hold hands and pray and give more welfare to migrants.

Serious answer: massively restrict immigration, shut down any mosques promoting Sharia law or Islamic fascism, very heavy penalties for anyone involved in terrorism, including losing their European citizenship.

Any hate preachers ****ed off back to where they came from. Oh, you're facing torture, too bad, you had your chance.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    My commiserations to those involved.

3,400 people will be killed by traffic today. Might you be engaging in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome

Phew good thing you posted that passive aggressive link! Now I know it's wrong to be angry about murder of an 11 year old Swedish girl because people will die in traffic accidents today. Thank you so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Serious answer: massively restrict immigration, shut down any mosques promoting Sharia law or Islamic fascism, very heavy penalties for anyone involved in terrorism, including losing their European citizenship.

Any hate preachers ****ed off back to where they came from. Oh, you're facing torture, too bad, you had your chance.

I don't think there's a need to shut down mosques, just remove the people preaching hate, and follow up closely. I think shutting them down could be needlessly incendiary.

Well, with exception to the first joke part, which is just cheap and tacky, the second part is quite reasonable.

Notable you're not calling for scrapping the EU. Seems theres hope after all.

Less time doing the 'everyone but me is a candle lighting twitter sissy' act, and more time just coming out with succinct proposals might serve you better.

Well, with exception to the first joke part, which is just cheap and tacky, the second part is quite reasonable.

Notable you're not calling for scrapping the EU. Seems theres hope after all.

Less time doing the 'everyone but me is a candle lighting twitter sissy' act, and more time just coming out with succinct proposals might serve you better.

I'd be quite happy to see the EU go. I don't want to be ruled by bureaucrats in Brussels. And I'm delighted countries in the east are standing up to Merkel and her cronies.

I'd be quite happy to see the EU go. I don't want to be ruled by bureaucrats in Brussels. And I'm delighted countries in the east are standing up to Merkel and her cronies.

lol. knew it was too good to be true.

i wish you were in control for one day.

so you could see the critics sit back on their fat moaning unproductive arses, propose nothing, solve nothing, and complain about everything.

• Advertisement

lol. knew it was too good to be true.

i wish you were in control for one day.

so you could see the critics sit back on their fat moaning unproductive arses, propose nothing, solve nothing, and complain about everything.

Ok, make me dictator, I'm all for it. And I promise to give power back after one day. You have a my word on that.

Let's just say I'm not a fan off the Angela 'just **** my country up' Merkel types.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I would not not like to see the EU go, what I would like to see is an independent EU that would represent the citizens of Europe and not blindly following the USA's policy of perpetual war and chaos in the Middle East.

so you could see the critics sit back on their fat moaning unproductive arses, propose nothing, solve nothing, and complain about everything

Greencap I was trying to locate the post with your proposals, but I think I must be looking in the wrong places :confused:

There's this one, but my sarcas-o-meter tells me it may not be a real proposal :
    What we need to do is change Europes political landscape in response to individual terror acts.

Divide up into smaller areas, get rid of teamwork, and elect extreme solutions on the basis of fear.

If we just reduce our liberties a bit then we reduce theirs too.

Thats certain to stop it.

Then there's these replies, maybe there was some proposal that you deleted afterwards ?
    ffs.
    never mind.

Then there's this one, but again ... hhmm... I think it's sarcasm. Maybe it isn't ?
    Carnage which can be stopped if we just break up the worlds biggest trading bloc and geographical union.
    Sure there might be another global recession, and the lives of Europeans would be irreparably damaged, our personal and professional opportunities flushed and our negotiation power with the US, Russia, China reduced to that of individual ants, but at least there'd never be another terrorist incident in Europe again. 100% guaranteed.
    Break up the EU.
    Putin, Trump, the far right, and the British tabloids can't all be wrong.

As I said, it's probably just me, I just couldn't find the post !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

inforfun wrote: »
    Csax0RyXgAEc2AR.jpg

Migrant neighbourhood in Zaandam.
    98% of The Netherlands has access to cable(tv).

There is really no starker image to my mind of the failure of integration than that. It says it all really, they may live in one culture, but are entirely untouched by it. They exist in another and the TV they watch, the news and media they consume, the communities they live in and the people they marry, all enforces a separation from the indigenous culture they inhabit.
    Add to that a religion that is ideologically supremacist and advocates violence against non adherents and trouble can be expected.
    The West has been more than accommodating to Islam, it has got nothing back but a slap in the face, again and again. I don't mind turning the other cheek once, but we're rapidly running out of cheeks to turn so I really hope the morons in charge wake up before we get a shiv in the chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

conorhal wrote: »
    There is really no starker image to my mind of the failure of integration than that. It says it all really, they may live in one culture, but are entirely untouched by it. They exist entirely in another.

I don't really get it? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Well, you've shown that you don't follow Islam but are ultra right.

Lol

I'd be well to the left on most issues, including on dogmatic and aggressive religions.

Every single home in Dutch cities has cable connection.
    You only need a satellite dish if you only are interested in what Erdogan or the likes have to say.

I edited my quote because reading it, uh, neither did I.. English eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

They're offended that people who move abroad continue to watch TV from where they came from. I'm sure they're equally offended by those scoundrel Paddy's abroad who VPN RTE player, don't bother watching TV in the countries they have moved to, watch the likes of Love/Hate, Father Ted, Graham Norton, The Late Late Show, etc over the equivalents of where they have moved to, and are disgusting enough to record the Toy Show and watch it after work or over that weekend.

Just such rotten, horrendous behaviour I am sure you can agree.

Every single home in Dutch cities has cable connection.
    You only need a satellite dish if you only are interested in what Erdogan or the likes have to say.

Exactly that/ I'm sure you'll get replies saying 'well they want to watch the news and soaps from home, so what?'. But that entirely misses the point, which is that you have entire communities that are not engaged with the culture, politics, media or all the normative influences that makes people part of a society. They are living in the Netherlands, but for all intents and purposes, they might as well be living in a particularly damp and cold part of Afghanistan, and that does not bode well for a cohesive society in that country.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    They're offended that people who move abroad continue to watch TV from where they came from. I'm sure they're equally offended by those scoundrel Paddy's abroad who VPN RTE player, don't bother watching TV in the countries they have moved to, watch the likes of Love/Hate, Father Ted, Graham Norton, The Late Late Show, etc over the equivalents of where they have moved to, and are disgusting enough to record the Toy Show and watch it after work or over that weekend.

It depends on whether it's their country's version of Father Ted, or, as the poster said, Erdogan's speeches...

It depends on whether it's their country's version of Father Ted, or, as the poster said, Erdogan's speeches...

The mainstream of most of these countries would be well to the right of Franco's Spain,very far to the right of it in fact.

Well you can see my response to that above.

And something tells me that if I asked your opinion of blokes wandering around Bondi Junction in GAA jerseys who spent all day drinking Guinness in the Cock and Bull with their gap year mates you'd have a very different opinion.

Now imagine those blokes as a permanent subset of your society with a violent supremacist ideology and you might just understand why people are worried. I've never heard the Late Late Toy Show suggest you should kill the kaffir....

When did you last see this on the Den?

You're drawing an utterly false equivalence, and the sad part is, you know that.

Danzy wrote: »
    The mainstream of most of these countries would be well to the right of Franco's Spain,very far to the right of it in fact.

Erdogan recently made minatory statements about the million or so Turks who living in the EU but whose loyalties are to him. So I think the poster made a fair point, above.

You also make a good point..tv from home might be a very different influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Erdogan recently made minatory statements about the million or so Turks who living in the EU but whose loyalties are to him. So I think the poster made a fair point, above.

Erdogan...racist Imam. Dealt with ISIS because the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Claims that Muslims discovered America:confused:Tried to ban alcohol on Turkish Airlines. Wants his son-in-law to build a shopping centre and military barracks in Gezi park. On his way to turning Turkey into another Iran.
    But I reckon if he's not shot soon(and after he begins to hang the people he claims tried to overthrow him he most likely will get to visit his 72 virgins in heaven) Putin will rip Turkey apart.

You also make a good point..tv from home might be a very different influence.

Turkish living in The Netherlands voted 71% yes in that referendum a week ago. Belgian Turks 75, Austrian 73.

In the UK only 20% for whatever reason.

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    Erdogan...racist Imam. Dealt with ISIS because the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Claims that Muslims discovered America:confused:Tried to ban alcohol on Turkish Airlines. Wants his son-in-law to build a shopping centre and military barracks in Gezi park. On his way to turning Turkey into another Iran.
    But I reckon if he's not shot soon(and after he begins to hang the people he claims tried to overthrow him he most likely will get to visit his 72 virgins in heaven) Putin will rip Turkey apart.

Yes. Turkey's as good as gone.

I'm still pondering the idea of an Islamic Father Ted :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

oh sweet baby jebus, please tell me that no actually does this. with the exception of norton the rest is utter ****e that does not belong on the airwaves ffs. tell me no one is daft enough to move aboard and still watch it

The policeman killed yesterday was Xavier J. He was 37 years old, and had a good few years experience in the Paris Unit. He is mourned by his husband, family, and friends, and the Flag LGBT community of French police of which he was a member.
    https://www.facebook.com/flagasso/photos/a.378670842212199.90455.238920919520526/1373730696039537/?type=3

• Advertisement

Turkish living in The Netherlands voted 71% yes in that referendum a week ago. Belgian Turks 75, Austrian 73.

In the UK only 20% for whatever reason.

The Turks in Britain come largely from Cyprus, different to Anatolia.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement