Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspected Terrorist Attack in Paris

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It depends on whether it's their country's version of Father Ted, or, as the poster said, Erdogan's speeches...
    They're more likely watching soaps.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkey-worlds-second-highest-tv-series-exporter-after-us.aspx?pageID=238&nID=73478&NewsCatID=345
    Turkey is globally the second highest exporter of TV series abroad after the United States, and it plans to reach $2 billion from exporting cultural products by 2023, Turkish Exporters Assembly (TİM) head Mehmet Büyükekşi said on Oct. 25.

In 2012, Turkish soap opera exports were worth around $200 million, up from just $10,000 in 2004, according to TİM data.

One particular success story is “The Magnificent Century,” which focuses on the life of the 16th century Ottoman Sultan Süleyman the Magnificent. The show proved hugely popular both in Turkey and internationally, being broadcast in 43 countries and watched by over 200 million people.

I looked up the trailer and it well, does not exactly look a prime suspect to be on the series reminder for your average jihadist threat...

Apparently some of the other most popular TV shows from the world's second largest exporter, and again... not exactly what hardline Islamic extremism, now are they?

soups05 wrote: »
    oh sweet baby jebus, please tell me that no actually does this. with the exception of norton the rest is utter ****e that does not belong on the airwaves ffs. tell me no one is daft enough to move aboard and still watch it

A lot do. Toy Show can be a bit of craic for homesickness some feel around Christmas (and the Canadians thought it was a great idea funny enough)... but it goes all the way down to the likes of Coronation Street, Eastenders and, yep, Fair City. :eek: :o:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Billy86 wrote: »
    They're more likely watching soaps.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkey-worlds-second-highest-tv-series-exporter-after-us.aspx?pageID=238&nID=73478&NewsCatID=345

I looked up the trailer and it well, does not exactly look a prime suspect to be on the series reminder for your average jihadist threat...

Apparently some of the other most popular TV shows from the world's second largest exporter, and again... not exactly what hardline Islamic extremism, now are they?

Some of them look interesting :D I was going to check but I was too tired at that point. I don't imagine they're all sitting rigidly and staring fixedly at Erdogan on the screen, anyway. Although I'm sure jihadists have their vices, maybe soap operas do it for some. The mustachiod fella looks a bit sleazy, did you see the smirk on him when Dila held his hand?
    And there was an attempted truck attack at around 1:08! I think it was something to do with inheritance money, though.
    I'm going to watch these someday. Reminds me of the Mexicans Telenovelas.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

There are Turkish channels in the basic subscription package of Ziggo. All yours for €18.70 a month.
    So yes, put a satellite dish on your balcony for soaps.

Funny though that when i was breaking my back carrying 26'' Sony Trinitrons to the 4th floor, soaps werent the thing that was on when leaving.

But Billy googled "turkish soaps" so that is what they are watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭C Montgomery Gurns II

soups05 wrote: »
    oh sweet baby jebus, please tell me that no actually does this. with the exception of norton the rest is utter ****e that does not belong on the airwaves ffs. tell me no one is daft enough to move aboard and still watch it

Father Ted is ****e?

And I thought ISIS had backward views that don't belong in this country.

• Advertisement

inforfun wrote: »
    There are Turkish channels in the basic subscription package of Ziggo. All yours for €18.70 a month.
    So yes, put a satellite dish on your balcony for soaps.

Funny though that when i was breaking my back carrying 26'' Sony Trinitrons to the 4th floor, soaps werent the thing that was on when leaving.

But Billy googled "turkish soaps" so that is what they are watching.
    Actually I stumbled upon it a while ago while doing something differently relating to global box offices, but don't let that get in the way of preconceived notions. These channels are not on the basic package and cost €8 extra to bring the cost to €25/mo - hardly breaking the bank, but why pay more for less when you can access many more channels for less would come into play too. Do these channels offer all of the popular Turkish shows? Do they cover local Turkish news, sports, etc? Does Ziggo offer Moroccan channels? Indonesian? Surinamese? And so on and so on.

Gas though that you are literally one of the people installing these dishes that you then give out so much about! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,676 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

conorhal wrote: »
    There is really no starker image to my mind of the failure of integration than that.

Satellite Dishes? :confused:

Hyperbole on Super Crack!

Some of them look interesting :D I was going to check but I was too tired at that point. I don't imagine they're all sitting rigidly and staring fixedly at Erdogan on the screen, anyway. Although I'm sure jihadists have their vices, maybe soap operas do it for some. The mustachiod fella looks a bit sleazy, did you see the smirk on him when Dila held his hand?
    And there was an attempted truck attack at around 1:08! I think it was something to do with inheritance money, though.
    I'm going to watch these someday. Reminds me of the Mexicans Telenovelas.

It's a funny mix, some really great landscape shots in there but the interior stuff looks a bit dodgy and the acting largely hammy as feck. :p You've a good point on the telenovela shout actually (and the first one really seemed to be ripping off some of looks of the warmer climate stuff from Game of Thrones)!

I'm sure you do get the odd person using it to watch some dodgy stuff of course, but just find it funny how some people seem eager to convince themselves they're all religiously (bad pun!) watching Hamas TV on the sly because it fits into the stereotype they have built in their heads of people from the middle east. Truth is it's far more mundane than that by and large, just people watching the same comfort TV that they're used to because it, well, makes them feel comfortable.

All that said... would it not be easier to just use the internet like I did for football internationals, six nations, etc!?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Boggles wrote: »
    Satellite Dishes? :confused:

Hyperbole on Super Crack!

If you knew the context, in the Netherlanda it has become representative of communities that do not integrate, that live and work or stay at home among themselves, speaking arabic, socialize among themselves, television is largely from home.

After the murder of Theo Van Gogh there was a show on integration, there were entire areas where people lived in separate worlds, where families lived for years without hearing Dutch.

The next generation was closer to a young adult in Morocco in outlook than a Dutchie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

It's a funny mix, some really great landscape shots in there but the interior stuff looks a bit dodgy and the acting largely hammy as feck. :p You've a good point on the telenovela shout actually (and the first one really seemed to be ripping off some of looks of the warmer climate stuff from Game of Thrones)!

I'm sure you do get the odd person using it to watch some dodgy stuff of course, but just find it funny how some people seem eager to convince themselves they're all religiously (bad pun!) watching Hamas TV on the sly because it fits into the stereotype they have built in their heads of people from the middle east. Truth is it's far more mundane than that by and large, just people watching the same comfort TV that they're used to because it, well, makes them feel comfortable.

All that said... would it not be easier to just use the internet like I did for football internationals, six nations, etc!?

If it's like the French channels, you can't watch them on the internet from abroad. Royalties sort of stuff. Except the news and the odd documentary or tv gameshow. :(:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,676 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Danzy wrote: »
    If you knew the context.

Have a day off for FFS.

It was Kay Burleyesque hyperbole.

:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Manny89

A MAN CARRYING a knife was arrested today at Paris’s Gare du Nord station, causing brief panic days after the jihadist killing of a policeman, police sources said amid pre-election jitters.
    “An individual carrying a knife came into the station, was pointed out to a police patrol which immediately arrested him,” one of the sources said.

No-one was injured in the incident.

Another police source added that the arrest caused a “panic movement” with a number of travellers abandoning their luggage in the middle of the station.

The incident came two days after the Champs Elysees killing of a policeman and one day before France goes to the polls in the first round of close-run presidential elections.

France remains under a state of emergency following a string of attacks that have claimed 239 lives since 2015.

http://www.thejournal.ie/panic-paris-gare-3353405-Apr2017/

Asylum bit of an overreaction but understandable in the current climate.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Actually I stumbled upon it a while ago while doing something differently relating to global box offices, but don't let that get in the way of preconceived notions. These channels are not on the basic package and cost ?8 extra to bring the cost to ?25/mo - hardly breaking the bank, but why pay more for less when you can access many more channels for less would come into play too. Do these channels offer all of the popular Turkish shows? Do they cover local Turkish news, sports, etc? Does Ziggo offer Moroccan channels? Indonesian? Surinamese? And so on and so on.

Gas though that you are literally one of the people installing these dishes that you then give out so much about! :pac:

There you you again, drawing wrong conclusions.
    If you had paid attention, you had read that i left The Netherlands 15 years ago.
    I am hardly commuting from Ireland to The Netherlands to install satellite dishes for Turks now, am i?

inforfun wrote: »
    There you you again, drawing wrong conclusions.
    If you had paid attention, you had read that i left The Netherlands 15 years ago.
    I am hardly commuting from Ireland to The Netherlands to install satellite dishes for Turks now, am i?
    So now you're saying you never actually put in these satellite dishes that you're giving out about, which you earlier said you had put in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Reuters has reported -

Also Another source: The attacker previously intended to kill police officers but was released by the justice because of too little evidence

Got their f**king evidence now, haven't they? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

So now you're saying you never actually put in these satellite dishes that you're giving out about, which you earlier said you had put in?

Eh? Did he not say he was delivering tellies? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Greencap I was trying to locate the post with your proposals, but I think I must be looking in the wrong places :confused:

There's this one, but my sarcas-o-meter tells me it may not be a real proposal :

Then there's these replies, maybe there was some proposal that you deleted afterwards ?

Then there's this one, but again ... hhmm... I think it's sarcasm. Maybe it isn't ?

As I said, it's probably just me, I just couldn't find the post !

The problem for you though is that I wasn't complaining about the Paris situation, I wasn't claiming to have a solution to the title thread, the subject in question.

Rather I was complaining about someone constantly complaining.

And yes, I did offer at least some kind of suggestion; that the complainer in question be placed in charge, so that he would have the opportunity to ameliorate the situation, to show us how its done.

YOU however, complained about me complaining, without offering any kind of suggestion yourself, to anything.

I at least offered a solution to a situation, albeit not the situation in the title thread.

You just complained about someone complaining about someone complaining.

You offered nothing, while saying I offered nothing.

Hello pot, meet kettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

greencap wrote: »
    The problem for you though is that I wasn't complaining about the Paris situation, I wasn't claiming to have a solution to the title thread, the subject in question.

Rather I was complaining about someone constantly complaining.

And yes, I did offer at least some kind of suggestion; that the complainer in question be placed in charge, so that he would have the opportunity to ameliorate the situation, to show us how its done.

YOU however, complained about me complaining, without offering any kind of suggestion yourself, to anything.

I at least offered a solution to a situation, albeit not the situation in the title thread.

You just complained about someone complaining about someone complaining.

You offered nothing, while saying I offered nothing.

Hello pot, meet kettle.

Ah but now you're after doing it twice.

It's easy to fire away narky one liners, and ask posters for suggestions, while you don't even bother making a single one on the topic.
    Your "suggestion" was just another narky comment.

For reference, the post that sparked my post, and that you call a "suggestion" :
    greencap wrote: »
    lol. knew it was too good to be true.

i wish you were in control for one day.

so you could see the critics sit back on their fat moaning unproductive arses, propose nothing, solve nothing, and complain about everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

There's little point replying to any of these threads. For some unknown reason, it's become the new Sinn fein - the media cannot report on any related activity and Boards doesn't want to know. There's a flurry of bans, closed threads and deleted posts. You'd get on better discussing why the Travvelers don't like paying tax. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Ah but now you're after doing it twice.

It's easy to fire away narky one liners, and ask posters for suggestions, while you don't even bother making a single one on the topic.
    Your "suggestion" was just another narky comment.

For reference, the post that sparked my post, and that you call a "suggestion" :

you're being one of those things.

stop being such a one of those things.

you non irony understanding one of those things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-I think were about done here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement