Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US considering Preemptive Strike against North Korea.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Dubh Linn

Yes, but the US has enough nuclear power to wipe out the whole Korean peninsula 3 times over, so if they are able to wipe out a whole region of a province in Afghanistan, they are able to destroy Kim before he has the chance to even react to the US strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Dubh Linn wrote: »
    Yes, but the US has enough nuclear power to wipe out the whole Korean peninsula 3 times over, so if they are able to wipe out a whole region of a province in Afghanistan, they are able to destroy Kim before he has the chance to even react to the US strikes.

The second the North saw the missiles coming they would let loose with there own arsenal. Using Nukes is a very dangerous game.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

wes wrote: »
    The second the North saw the missiles coming they would let loose with there own arsenal. Using Nukes is a very dangerous game.

Chances are the missles and bombs will be exploding on targets before they know anything about it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭CoolHandBandit

Time for Trump to wipe North Korea off the map.

Dont be silly. North Korean people are proberly sound its just their leadership are scumbags. Why make the ordinary folk suffer any more than they already do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Doesn't this threat of war and mass destruction occur every March/April?

Although this year does seem even more tense and dangerous.

• Advertisement

All I'm saying is, Kim Jong-un has his finger on a red button, and so does Trump, as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I think if Korea and their spoiled brat leader continue on the same track to nuclear weapons, then a pre-emptive strike becomes inevitable.

A nuclear armed North Korea would be a disaster for the region.

The NK regime has an abysmal human rights record and is only defended at this point by China and the usual lefty loonies who'd have no problem seeing NK as a nuclear state.

Dont be silly. North Korean people are proberly sound its just their leadership are scumbags. Why make the ordinary folk suffer any more than they already do.

Agreed. But these days if you were to take out their leader with a precision strike there would be wails of protest about regime change.

If ever there was a need for regime change however, its NK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

The stretched twig of peace is at melting point

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

The last 2 years with NK have been getting more tense than ever ,the leadership seems be suicidal and want to take their loyal followers with them

• Advertisement

They say the Korean war ended in the 50's. In my opinion, it is still ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Dubh Linn wrote:
    All I'm saying is, Kim Jong-un has his finger on a red button, and so does Trump, as far as I'm concerned.

Trump does not have direct access to 'the button', there's a process which includes a couple of layers of decision makers before nuclear detonation

They say the Korean war ended in the 50's. In my opinion, it is still ongoing.

The NK are still in war mode the war didn't end for them,
    South Korea and China ened it and got​ on with life

Would a ground invasion by the US be an option? With the help of China and S Korea of course? What about an aerial bombardment? Or is N Korea effectively untouchable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Imallrightjack

Surely there is some way to send in a guy to put a bullet in kims head.then get on a plane and put another bullet in assads head.surely it s not just in the movies that it can be done.

Would a ground invasion by the US be an option? With the help of China and S Korea of course?

Several miles of mine fields would need to be cleared and then by pass various other defenses before they could move forward ,

The person who puts a bullet through Kim's or Assad's head, or better still, both, deserves a medal at the least and a whole lot of other things as well.

Agreed. But these days if you were to take out their leader with a precision strike there would be wails of protest about regime change.

No real issue with NK regime being gotten rid of, but does anyone actually think that Trump has a plan? Getting rid of the regime, without a plan, would be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

If the US does launch a strike on N Korea, which, given their "successful" mission in Afghanistan yesterday, could work out, what would happen in the immediate aftermath. Nuclear war, maybe? How likely is it at this moment that the US will hit North Korea?
    The fact that the whole point of the pre emptive strike will be to take out their nuclear capabilities, I imagine the threat will be slim! Chances of USA hitting NK arent slim in my opinion, will take very little effort to cause a lot of damage to NK and it will get rid of their threat quite quickly!

No real issue with NK regime being gotten rid of, but does anyone actually think that Trump has a plan? Getting rid of the regime, without a plan, would be a disaster.

Likely it would be down to South Korea to run the show and unify the country ,it's not going be Iraq / Afghanistan situation

• Advertisement

Trump has a plan alright. But the question is, will he carry it out. There is nothing pre-emptive about this whole issue. Either Trump will blow the bejaysus out of NK or they will blow the bejaysus out of someone else. It's quite simple.

Gatling wrote: »
    Likely it would be down to South Korea to run the show and unify the country ,it's not going be Iraq / Afghanistan situation

Long term yes, that would be the case, but the South would likely be a mess and need a lot of aid to handle the North. So, there would need to be a plan from the US and the South. Does such a plan exist? I know there is a ministry in the South for unification, so lets hope if regime change does happen, that they have there **** together.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

archer22 wrote: »
    Silane wrote: »
    He made a point in Syria, that chemical weapons wouldn't be tolerated. It was a measured response, Russia were warned in advance to avoid casualties, I think that was a smart, reasonable thing to do. It made the point effectively, drew attention to the issue, but didn't draw the US into the wider conflict.

Here again with NK, now is the time to stop this lunatic, and the US response is drawing China in to correct it. There's a carrier strike group heading to NK, not an invasion force, maybe nothing will come of it, but the point is made that China need to act one way or another now.
    China does not give a fock about America and will not be dictated to by them..if it comes to war they will support North Korea.

And China has the technology to sink that piddly little carrier group in a few hours
    Of course they care if America starts a war with Korea, the amount of civilians fleeing to the boarder will be untold. The reason China have deployed 150,000 troops is to contain the inevitable influx of North Koreans that will come if missiles start flying!

Does NK have a chemical weapons arsenal, just out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,671 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The bomb yesterday in Afghanistan was a test and a warning IMO. Any damage to terrorists was a bonus, but I think the real intent was to signal capabilities and willingness to use them to both NK and China.

Well one positive would be there are no Islamic nut jobs in that country, so that type of insurgency would be avoided.

I would say it would be similar to Germany or Japan post WW2, with an initial puppet government for a number of years. Whether China would allow a proper democracy is unclear, possibly not. In the long run they'd favour a moderate pro Chinese dictator who wasn't a mad man intent on developing nukes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Gatling wrote: »
    The last 2 years with NK have been getting more tense than ever ,the leadership seems be suicidal and want to take their loyal followers with them

They have been at the US for years with threats nuclear attack vids, random bizzare insults.

Think they went too far and seriously pissed off the big wig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

They have been at the US for years with threats nuclear attack vids, random bizzare insults.

Think they went too far and seriously pissed off the big wig.

If Trump had any sense he would just ignore NK. They are irrelevant. But the big baby has to be seen to do something aided by the fact that the investigation into his ties with Russia is getting heavy and his approval rating at home is at a woeful 40%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

Doesn't this threat of war and mass destruction occur every March/April?

Its because this time of year is the anniversary of the foundation of the state. So the guys in charge tend to like to put on a show for the little people of N Korea....show how powerful the state is.

Which gets other countries a little worried.

Now the show gets a little bit more intense every year as the NK technology advances...so other countries get more worried.

But i dont think the NK have the capabilities to go all out war offensive. Not sure their leader thinks the same though.......:eek:

Don't think this time will be the time, but its coming soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't think NK will do anything too drastic preemptively. Just more blustering and vague threats.

Their lack of resources and their not being a genuine threat to those around them is the only way the regime gets to survive. I'm sure the regime knows this.

Push things too far and get involved in an actual war and the only possible military outcome (apart from whatever damage they might do themselves) is the total defeat of the regime .

Advertisement