Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday Drinking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm surprised some Paddy hasn't taken this complaint to the European Court of Human Rights before.

If the ECHR can't force us to allow abortion, it's hardly going to be able to force us to sell drink on a particular day

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Samaris wrote: »
    In theory, he might have gotten somewhere with it, I guess? Our Constitution talks about being a secular state, but Good Friday laws are a religious imposition enforced by the government (well, the State's police force). While on the scale of religious control on a society, it's pretty near the bottom, I suppose it could have opened a fair can of worms.

Yeah right. And affect bans of sale of alcohol at certain hours, closing times of pubs, closing shops on Sunday in a lot of countries (strongly supported by unions) and so on? You really think it would be passed on basis of separation of religion and state? You would be laughed out of the court.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

meeeeh wrote: »
    Yeah right. And affect bans of sale of alcohol at certain hours, closing times of pubs, closing shops on Sunday in a lot of countries (strongly supported by unions) and so on? You really think it would be passed on basis of separation of religion and state? You would be laughed out of the court.

Pick point, jump four steps forward, deride point+4.

I have absolutely no idea since it didn't happen and you are agreeing with rather than countering me that it is a very small thing in the grand scheme of things. But by the letter of the Constitution, it could presumably be argued even in the Irish courts. I'd be interested to know if anyone's tried. I agree on the point of Sunday, and when I was typing that, I meant to bring up the whole issue of Christmas/midwinter holiday and whether that would likewise count, but I forgot to add it. The restrictions at certain hours isn't necessarily the same thing, it would need to have a religious element or background to it to count for the same issue though. Some might, like no Sunday morning trading, but others wouldn't.

Nobody is stopping you to drink alcohol on Good Friday. They are just not allowed to sell alcohol on those days. Basically it's just affecting trade. You really don't want to open floodgates around not being able to limit trading for whatever reason. I think there is a reason why nobody went to court, especially as human rights violation.

Nobody is stopping you to drink alcohol on Good Friday. They are just not allowed to sell alcohol on those days.

Thanks for the info, I thought a priest was gonna kick my door down or something :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info, I thought a priest was gonna kick my door down or something :rolleyes:

That is completely pointless comment and it doesn't make belief that your human rights are violated by the ban any more rational.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not bothered at all now but in college the best parties were always on good Friday. Tomorrow's kids will never know the joy of a proper Good Friday? Great Friday! Party

On the flip side anything that lessens the church's waining grip and pisses of the likes of Ronan Mullen has to be good.

Need to get the angelus gone next.

It's actually more cultural than anything. Where I come from even people who observe GF and have no meat that day would happily have a drink. And see nothing wrong with it. I think those rules very often mirror national obsessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jackschof1988

I haven't read the full thread, but I was in the supermarket on Thursday evening and saw people stocking up. I think it is rather sad the people cannot survive a day without alcohol.

It just underlies the unhealthy association that we have with alcohol in this country.

Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

People can of course survive a day without alcohol. The problem is that Irish people don't like being told they can't do something based on archaic and outdated laws put in place to appease a religion which used to have the country under its boot.

The funny thing is that ending the ban on the sale of alcohol will probably lead to less alcohol consumption on that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Super valu done it by using toilet rolls and the prize was if you bought them all you could look but not buy any booze.

You'll probably be able to do that next year as well given that as reported by the Irish Times the change in law will only be for pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Nobody is stopping you to drink alcohol on Good Friday. They are just not allowed to sell alcohol on those days. Basically it's just affecting trade. You really don't want to open floodgates around not being able to limit trading for whatever reason. I think there is a reason why nobody went to court, especially as human rights violation.

Again, that is not what I'm saying.
    People can of course survive a day without alcohol. The problem is that Irish people don't like being told they can't do something based on archaic and outdated laws put in place to appease a religion which used to have the country under its boot.

The funny thing is that ending the ban on the sale of alcohol will probably lead to less alcohol consumption on that day.

Thanks, that was the point I was trying to make. The word of the law may not be strictly necessary, but I'm just curious to know which way it would have gone. Would it count as being against the secular nature of the State, and would that have opened a can of worms regarding Sunday trading laws or Christmas. Christmas and Sunday trading laws do have other reasons behind them, even if they "started" out religious (well, were co-opted by religious reasons), so it may not have. It's one of those interesting little complexities of law. Can people be prevented from doing something ordinary (in this case, selling alcohol) on a specific day purely due to religious reasons, enforced by the State in a country that claims to be a secular State was my question at base. What would the courts have decided is my interest (which I'll probably never know now :P)

Nothing particularly to do with whether or not I can drink on GF, meeeh, my previous posts were commenting on the ridiculousness of the palaver around "stocking up" for one dry day on the Thursday!

Deedsie wrote: »
    It's pretty sad people can't go a day without consuming alcohol.

Most people go without consuming alcohol most days. But as adults they don't need a nanny state trying to dictate to them which days they do drink on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

And so we lay the good friday threads to rest for another year.

And coming up next - the annual 'Sunny weather has the scangers fighting in Portmarnock' thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

How pathetic is it that people seek all kinds of avenues to have a drink on Good Friday, like hotel bars or train station bars?

Its one day FFS

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

LordSutch wrote: »
    I agree.

Easier to come over all offended or outraged by an old law than it is to turn the question around and ask 'why do I care so much?'

Damn religion and the grip it still has on this country!!! Where else would you get it?!! :mad: ....... So when do you get your Christmas holidays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I think this thread has triggered the religious snowflakes.

Anyways, it is now Monday so why the hell is this still a subject?

More and more people in Ireland present themselves in clinics for alcoholism, there is increase of internal organ failure among women and people are getting fatter and fatter. I don't care about the religion, I had a glass of wine with dinner on Friday as I often do. It's about how very little makes people as worried about their human right to get hammered and stocking up with alcohol as one day of no selling of alcohol. But yeah keep up fighting the good fight I am sure your liver will be delighted.

BTW if it was about sensible drinking I would understand somehow. But even the draft that is in the Dail at the moment forgot about the restaurants where drinking is more restrained and accompanied by food. It's good to see where priorities are.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Hey the law is as good as gone and I am sure we will be all better off that it is gone.

So.. a good thing!
    Its one less difference between Ireland and every other country. How very boring we are.

Or maybe not?
    I do hope it will see a reduction of alcohol misuse on Holy Thursday and Good Friday.

Yay! So the law was a mistake all along!
    A great day for Diageo and publicans... Hurray!!!

Boooo... I think?

Can you not make your mind up, or are you just having a moan for the sake of it, because that's what it sure sounds like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

testicles wrote: »

It was mentioned here also

Although i don't know about the Vatican in Kildare ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Estrellita wrote: »
    Easier to come over all offended or outraged by an old law than it is to turn the question around and ask 'why do I care so much?'

Damn religion and the grip it still has on this country!!! Where else would you get it?!! :mad: ....... So when do you get your Christmas holidays?

Christmas for a lot of people has nothing to do with religion. A lot of people don't go to Mass and Christmas is just seen as a nice family holiday with a tree and some gift giving.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

But if it's not society's fault, whos left to blame?

Patww79 wrote: »
    Don't be worrying about society. If someone is face down in their own vomit from drink then let them stay that way. Just keep your own house in order and left them get their own house in order. 'Society' is just an excuse for people wanting to be looked after as adults or wanting others to raise their kids for them, instead of sorting their own **** out. No pub drags you in the door, nor do they hold you down and pour drink down your neck.
    Right I'll tell my mother she should put her house in order because she had to change my grandfather's colonoscopy bag for five years after drunken fall. I saw her drunk once in my life but yet she was very much affected by excessive drinking. Tell that to children who are sneaking out of the house to avoid their drunk rambling parent. Tell that to victims of drink driving and their families. Tell that to sick people in a&e who have to wait for the night while staff deal with passed out drunks. But yeah it doesn't affect you so it's not a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Patww79 wrote: »

I am guessing you have never been impacted by a family member or loved one who is an alcoholic? If you were you would realise what nonsense this is.

• Advertisement

Advertisement