Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday Drinking

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

The pubs are not closed for religious religions now, there closed because of state law, so when the state changes the law, they can open.

The pubs aren't closed. Was out Thursday night in a Dublin city centre pub. They opened for food on Friday. No day off for the staff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It's the right move to remove it; there's no good reason to have it there from a legislative point of view. I can though envisage there being a certain nostalgia when thinking back to the moaning we used to do about it and the unofficial National House-Party Day. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

meeeeh wrote: »
    Right I'll tell my mother she should put her house in order because she had to change my grandfather's colonoscopy bag for five years after drunken fall. I saw her drunk once in my life but yet she was very much affected by excessive drinking. Tell that to children who are sneaking out of the house to avoid their drunk rambling parent. Tell that to victims of drink driving and their families. Tell that to sick people in a&e who have to wait for the night while staff deal with passed out drunks. But yeah it doesn't affect you so it's not a problem.
    The main problem is that people don't know how to drink responsibly.
    It's like a race to get drunk these days especially with the younger drinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,126 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Deedsie wrote: »
    It's a complex societal issue with pro's & cons..

It's really not. This law was brought in on religious grounds 90 years ago, it has no justification whatsoever and needs to go.

Jayop wrote: »
    Christmas for a lot of people has nothing to do with religion. A lot of people don't go to Mass and Christmas is just seen as a nice family holiday with a tree and some gift giving.

The bolded parts are all pagan traditions which long pre-date christianity (as does easter) so nobody need feel any guilt or hypocrisy whatsoever about celebrating holidays in a non-religious manner.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Go to some of the Muslim countries and try and change their laws based on religion and you'd be arrested. At least that doesn't happen here.
    Things are not that bad here. The pubs are only closed 2 days a year.
    I'm not religious and i couldn't care a lot about it so i can't see the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Go to some of the Muslim countries and try and change their laws based on religion and you'd be arrested. At least that doesn't happen here.
    Things are not that bad here. The pubs are only closed 2 days a year.
    I'm not religious and i couldn't care a lot about it so i can't see the problem.

Just because it doesn't effect you doesn't mean it's not wrong. It's a farcical law and should be long gone. Also saying 'it's worse in other places' the is of no difference.

I don't go out on a Friday too often so it won't bother me either but I still think it should be done away with.

Jayop wrote: »
    Just because it doesn't effect you doesn't mean it's not wrong. It's a farcical law and should be long gone. Also saying 'it's worse in other places' the is of no difference.

I don't go out on a Friday too often so it won't bother me either but I still think it should be done away with.
    It's gone next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

It's gone next year.

I'm aware of the legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Off licences will be looking for compensation as they'll be losing their busiest day of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Indulge in all your earthly pleasures.

Hell awaits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

It's gone next year.

That's what they said last year.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Indulge in all your earthly pleasures.

Hell awaits.

Citation needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

The main problem is that people don't know how to drink responsibly.
    It's like a race to get drunk these days especially with the younger drinkers.

As opposed to the old days when it was just a coincidence that the drinks we were drinking were alcoholic.

People have always drank to get p*ssed, otherwise we'd have been drinking tea.

If you weren't drinking like the sky was about to fall down when you were younger its cos you weren't invited to the cool parties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Glenster wrote: »
    As opposed to the old days when it was just a coincidence that the drinks we were drinking were alcoholic.

If you weren't drinking like the sky was about to fall down when you were younger its cos you weren't invited to the cool parties.

I remember a time when people took pride in being able to hold their drink. It meant, even if drinking a lot, still retaining sufficient self-control. Getting drunk was for foolish schoolboys and tinkers.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Reference? Where in 2016 did any member of the government say they would not oppose legislation to remove the ban on the sale and distribution of alcohol on Good Friday from 2017 onwards?

They didn't but that wasn't what I said in my post, read it again.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/pubs-to-remain-closed-on-good-friday-says-frances-fitzgerald-1.2505332
    Thu, Jan 21, 2016

Pubs will remain closed on Good Friday 2016 despite a campaign from vintners for the alcohol ban to be lifted.

Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald on Thursday ruled out an imminent change to the trading rule. “I won’t be doing it this year,” she told RTÉ radio. But she added that it is an issue that would be considered under new alcohol laws.

In other words, not annoying the god botherers by making an actual commitment to remove the ban, but not annoying everyone else by ruling it out either.

Glenster wrote: »

On the contrary. Many drink because they like a drink but dislike getting drunk. Very rare to see drunks on the streets in many countries.

Very rare to see drunks on the streets in many countries.

Doesn't mean they aren't getting sloshed on a regular basis behind closed doors.

Not seeing drunks on the street probably says more about how the police operate in that country rather than how much the public drink. Ireland's per capita consumption is lower than quite a few countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Doesn't mean they aren't getting sloshed on a regular basis behind closed doors.

Not seeing drunks on the street probably says more about how the police operate in that country rather than how much the public drink. Ireland's per capita consumption is lower than quite a few countries.

Either way, Irish people do binge more and drink to get drunk more than other countries.

Other countries might have a lot more people who would have a few beers daily whilst many Irish would abstain during the week and go mad at the weekends.
    We have a very different attitude to drink than other countries.
    Either way, the Good Friday drinks ban does nothing to tackle this it just does the opposite.

Not buying that as an excuse.
    The French people introduce their children to table wine at an early age and i've been with foreign people who can sit over two drinks for hours.
    No rush to get drunk there whereas our youth think it's a competition to see who can get sloshed the fastest.
    As I say we need to educate people at an early age on how to use alcohol correctly.

• Advertisement

The French people introduce their children to table wine at an early age and i've been with foreign people who can sit over two drinks for hours.
    No rush to get drunk there whereas our youth think it's a competition to see who can get sloshed the fastest.
    As I say we need to educate people at an early age on how to use alcohol correctly.

They still drink more than us though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption_per_capita

2010 WHO data

1st Belarus 17.5L
    18th France 12.2L
    21st Ireland 11.9L

2015 WHO data (OECD countries only)

1st Czech Republic 14.1L
    8th France 11.6L
    12th Ireland 10.9L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Couldn't agree more, nothing worse than oberserving an Irish person abroad ordering Chardonnay with a well done steak.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption_per_capita

2010 WHO data

1st Belarus 17.5L
    18th France 12.2L
    21st Ireland 11.9L

1st Czech Republic 14.1L
    8th France 11.6L
    12th Ireland 10.9L
    The French might actually drink more because they drink wine with their lunch and other meals. They don't however drink to get drunk like we do. They know how to drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

2010 WHO data

1st Belarus 17.5L
    18th France 12.2L
    21st Ireland 11.9L

1st Czech Republic 14.1L
    8th France 11.6L
    12th Ireland 10.9L

I'd be interested to know how that alcohol is imbibed. The figures don't tell all.

Couldn't agree more, nothing worse than oberserving an Irish person abroad ordering Chardonnay with a well done steak.

Yeah right, you and others seems to be get a thrill from being to pontificate to others or just judge from afar when something like the above happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Murrisk wrote: »
    Yeah right, you and others seems to be get a thrill from being to pontificate to others or just judge from afar when something like the above happens.

Pot, Kettle, Black, my sanctimonious pal.

Pot, Kettle, Black, my sanctimonious pal.

Ah, you're a 'pal' person. Carry on. :D

Advertisement