Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday Drinking

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

How pathetic is it that people seek all kinds of avenues to have a drink on Good Friday, like hotel bars or train station bars?

Its one day FFS

It's the only day I drink :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What's pathetic is complaining about people wanting to get a ridiculous law changed when you just ignored that law anyway and hopped over the border, while those not living in border counties had to just suck it up.

Did you read your posting before posting it? I didn't ignore any law, that would imply I bought drink here against the law, I didn't, I went to another country where it was perfectly legal to buy alcohol and bought some,

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It's a national embarrassment to be honest. I've seen tourists and stag/hen parties wandering around Dublin on this day every year looking confused and annoyed. At least they will be staying in hotels that can serve them if needs be I guess, but it is still very much the principle. I don't care that the pubs are closed, I care that the pubs are closed for an archaic, religious reason. If they announced randomly that no drink could be served on the 10th of May I wouldn't really care (although I would be puzzled).

It's mostly just a good Friday because I'm off work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What will we do next year when the GF ban on alcohol sales is GONE!

I wanted it gone, but now I think it should be kept LOL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Did you read your posting before posting it? I didn't ignore any law, that would imply I bought drink here against the law, I didn't, I went to another country where it was perfectly legal to buy alcohol and bought some,

clearly you didnt read your own before posting it and quickly deciding to remove and rewrite it. I just happened to be trying to quote it as you did. Lucky for you as you made a bit of a show of yourself in your original response.

Long story short the hypocrisy in what your saying is rife. People are pathetic for not being happy at not being able to drink on Good friday in your opinion. Yet in the same breath you say how you used to go out of your way to be able to have a drink on good friday. Whats pathetic is that you couldnt sit in for one night and felt the need to go to the north to get pissed yet condemn others for wishing they could do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

5starpool wrote: »
    It's a national embarrassment to be honest. I've seen tourists and stag/hen parties wandering around Dublin on this day every year looking confused and annoyed. At least they will be staying in hotels that can serve them if needs be I guess, but it is still very much the principle. I don't care that the pubs are closed, I care that the pubs are closed for an archaic, religious reason. If they announced randomly that no drink could be served on the 10th of May I wouldn't really care (although I would be puzzled).

It's mostly just a good Friday because I'm off work though.

The stag and hens should have done their research and they can get drink in their hotels anyway. As for tourists, if they are wondering around Dublin, looking confused and annoyed about not being able to go into a pub, I'd worry about them and the quality of tourist in Dublin.

Next year it won't matter anyway and life for us locals will carry on as normal. The same alco's that used to buy a train ticket to drink in station bars will be somewhere else of their choice. The pitiful brigade that go nuts in Off licenses or pubs will revert to what they usually do on a Thursday or Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,347 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I think its nice to see the pub workers get a rest.

They work the other 363, do they? Better phone the WRC quick! :rolleyes:

Another stupid non-justification for a religious law

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I did, but it sure looks like you didn't read mine. Try again.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

What will we do next year when the GF ban on alcohol sales is GONE!

Carry on like the Friday of any other bank holiday weekend. *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Minimum pricing coming in also in this new bill.

That's the worrying and annoying part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yeah stags vomiting everywhere on good Friday will seriously increase Ireland's non religious credentials. Who needs a whole pile of changes in education, health, social issues when you can just start selling alcohol on Good Friday.

It's sad how priorities always revolve around alcohol. And chest tumping.

Minimum pricing coming in also in this new bill.

That's the worrying and annoying part.

Yep that and the labelling crap, although it's the very silly 'booze burkas' which gained the headlines

Special labelling requirements and calorie counts will impose costs on Irish craft breweries. Worse, from the drinkers' point of view, is it'll force Irish importers of niche alcohol products to specially label each and every bottle/can that comes into the country, and possibly have each product nutritionally analyzed when no other EU country requires this. I expect this to seriously reduce the choice and competition in the alcohol off-sales market here.

The macro breweries won't care, it's no skin off their nose and actually helps them by hurting their less well resourced competition.

A violation of the EU single market in my eyes. Alcohol labelling should be regulated on an EU wide basis, so if your bottle or can is legal to sell in any country it's legal in all. No special local requirements which go against the principles of a single market. If they think it's such a good idea on 'health grounds' let them make a case for it at EU level. Otherwise it's just the usual, an excuse to screw over consumers in this country while facilitating big business.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Yeah stags vomiting everywhere on good Friday will seriously increase Ireland's non religious credentials. Who needs a whole pile of changes in education, health, social issues when you can just start selling alcohol on Good Friday.

The old fallacy of "we can't act on injustice X unless injustice Y, totally unrelated, is fixed first"

Bull****

Attack religious prejudice on any and every front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

People get hung up on the drink fest but it's a Friday off work for a lot of people. It's at the start of Easter weekend so if you have it off work, it's the first day of a four-day weekend and just before the first Spring bank holiday. Even if you don't have it off, it's precisely the kind of Friday people take off anyway.

Despite the usual smug homilies, it's less a national alcohol compulsion than a confluence of factors that have somehow come to earmark Good Friday as a day to have a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

meeeeh wrote: »

There should be less vomit and broken glass on the footpaths on Sat morning too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

People get hung up on the drink fest but it's a Friday off work for a lot of people. It's at the start of Easter weekend so if you have it off work, it's the first day of a four-day weekend and just before the first Spring bank holiday. Even if you don't have it off, it's precisely the kind of Friday people take off anyway.

Despite the usual smug homilies, it's less a national alcohol compulsion than a confluence of factors that have somehow come to earmark Good Friday as a day to have a party.

thats the worst of it, if anything it encourages binge drinking more in that if you fall up to a bar paraletic theres someone to turn you away, iv yet to see a fridge with this feature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

One year after being kicked out unexpectedly from a bar and discovering it was Good Friday - a friend and I went home , grabbed our passports, bought flights on my credit card at the checkin desk and spent the next 5 days unexpectedly drunk in Prague with snow up to our ankles , no coats, no luggage, no toothbrush and no phone charger. The hangover upon waking in a strange place after 5 pm local time and realising it wasnt Dublin was unreal. It can be done !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Same here, prefer to get all the jobs done, shopping, lawns etc, and then just walk around naked for the next 3 days doing a 'John & Yoko' with the Missus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Systemsdarken

Religious seriously triggered. Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Whatever.

I'm not religious and I enjoy a drink but it was nice to have one night a year apart from Christmas day where one could walk around a city centre in this country and not have an uneasy feeling you're about to be screamed at...or barged into...or clocked on the head.

Of course that level of self-deprivation was too much for the Irish.

• Advertisement

The old fallacy of "we can't act on injustice X unless injustice Y, totally unrelated, is fixed first"

Bull****

I didn't say that you can't act. I don't care if ban is lifted, I find the uproar around it pathetic. A nation with healthy attitude to alcohol would consider it inconsequential. And as vehicle for more secular society it's low hanging fruit that won't improve life of anyone except to list your secular credentials on internet forum. Maybe they should start printing badges: I was there when good Friday alcohol ban was lifted.

BTW as far as I know geniuses that drafted the law forgot to include restaurants in the draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Patww79 wrote: »

Ireland definitely has an alcohol problem with one of the highest rates of binge drinking in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

If you have one drink a night your an alcoholic
    If you have none but many at the weekend your a binge drinker
    There's just no winning

The definition of binge drinking is a load of pish that was only dreamt up to bump up stats like that and create a problem for a reason for taxation. 'Ireland' has no problem, some people in Ireland do.

Absolutely right. The health professionals have it for Ireland. They don't understand the unique Irish phsyque that processes the alcohol completely different than any other nation in the world.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think your sarcasm detector is in need of repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'm not religious and I enjoy a drink but it was nice to have one night a year apart from Christmas day where one could walk around a city centre in this country and not have an uneasy feeling you're about to be screamed at...or barged into...or clocked on the head.

I'm not religious. I'm an alcoholic. I try to limit my drinking and I don't cause problems for others.

I've walked around Dublin, Limerick, Cork and Galway late at night while inebriated and around inebriated people.

I've never had an uneasy feeling that I'm going to be subject to any of those things.

That said, if you want to spend your Christmas Day walking around 'feeling safe' then go ahead.

• Advertisement

Advertisement