Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday Drinking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,347 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

anna080 wrote: »
    Afaik, you can still buy alcohol on xmas day. A petrol station in my town opens up for an hour after mass and they make more money selling wine than they do petrol.

Nope selling alcohol on Christmas Day is illegal.
    pilly wrote: »
    Shops are open Good Friday.

At night?
    it was nice to have one night a year apart from Christmas day where one could walk around a city centre in this country and not have an uneasy feeling you're about to be screamed at...or barged into...or clocked on the head.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

diomed wrote: »
    What about freedom to practice any religion?

Yeah you're still free to not drink if you don't want to. That's the whole point, the choice is taken away in principle with this law. It shouldn't be. If it's abolished and you wanna keep practicing your religion as far as Good Friday goes you can! You don't wanna drink, don't. Nobody is forcing you to.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Why is the drink covered by big black bin bags in the shops? Are they afraid we'll get drunk by looking at it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭Luggnuts

How pathetic is it that people seek all kinds of avenues to have a drink on Good Friday, like hotel bars or train station bars?

Its one day FFS

Bitterly disappointed that someone might want to do something that has no effect on you whatsoever?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why is the drink covered by big black bin bags in the shops? Are they afraid we'll get drunk by looking at it?

Super valu done it by using toilet rolls and the prize was if you bought them all you could look but not buy any booze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Super valu done it by using toilet rolls and the prize was if you bought them all you could look but not buy any booze.

Or you could run and take a mad dive through all the jacks roll and grab all the booze you can. Cosy.
    Trying to get the cute Andrex puppies to distract me from the booze how dare

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Or you could run and take a mad dive through all the jacks roll and grab all the booze you can. Cosy.
    Trying to get the cute Andrex puppies to distract me from the booze how dare

Not smash and grab its soft and grab

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

My local supermarket made an effort with some flowering plants on combies (think that's the spelling?). Still wanted to break through them shouting 'freedom' though!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Had my whiskey poured and was watching the clock tick down to midnight.

#IsurvivedGoodFriday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

How pathetic is it that someone can't decide, as a grown man, to have a drink tomorrow.
    Very pathetic.

If for religious, or personal reasons you don't want to drink on a certain day of the week, that is fine by me.

However, I as a responsible adult should be allowed to drink, if I so wish.

Whether it's religious or law,

It's bizarre that you can get a drink in the HQ that is the Vatican ;)

But not here, although was the subsidized Dail Bar open for a sly one ;)
    even though some TD's didn't pay tab & had to be chased for bill when made public:(
    The pubs are not closed for religious religions now, there closed because of state law, so when the state changes the law, they can open.

There was once the pubs closed btwn 2-4 on Sundays, a bugger when watching football, who set the rules then :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Veloce wrote: »
    A lad here in work has a Ryanair boarding pass to head to the airport and go drinking there. He's going with a few mates - no intention of boarding the aircraft.
    Your colleague is very sad.

To thine own self be true

How do restaurants fare out on GF?
    Like the posh ones that would have a lot of wine revenue?
    I heard on TV today about UK stag and hens just wandering around Temple Bar on previous GFs.. Surely that must be the biggest kick in teeth ever..Mwahahahaha..

I heard on TV today about UK stag and hens just wandering around Temple Bar on previous GFs.. Surely that must be the biggest kick in teeth ever..Mwahahahaha..

Sorry for double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Patww79 wrote: »
    Because self righteousness is strongest of all among people who emigrate. They love to look back here, but only if it's down through their nose.

I've picked up a trend from your posts across a couple of threads. You hate people who have emigrated. What happened Pat? Bitter that the opportunity passed you by? Maybe you still have time to see a bit of the world.

Grow up a bit. Your talking through your hoop with such generalisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jdmkol

Veloce wrote: »
    A lad here in work has a Ryanair boarding pass to head to the airport and go drinking there. He's going with a few mates - no intention of boarding the aircraft.
    How do him and his mates get out of the airport afterwards ? Didn't think it was that easy to just exit an airport after checking in and going through security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

Never understood the intimation that you're an alcoholic if you complain about this law. Have any of yizzer ever met an alcoholic? They are the least likely people to be caught out by Good Friday. Alcoholic being foremost in their mind, they'll make damn sure to be stocked up.

To consider critics of the law to have alcoholic leanings is to misunderstand entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

testicles wrote: »
    There are no pubs in the Vatican.

Not true, there is a bar and a number of restaurants/cafeteria, all of which sell alcohol, including on Good Friday .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Patww79 wrote: »

Have to agree with Pat he hates people especially Northern Ones :P & to be fair to him he is constant in his hating :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Hoboo

jdmkol wrote: »
    How do him and his mates get out of the airport afterwards ? Didn't think it was that easy to just exit an airport after checking in and going through security.

It's no problem. He missed his flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The main loss for would be the footfall of those who choose not to go out on the da, not the loss of alcohol sales. Many places opened but are far quieter than other weekends. Generally Easter weekend is slower for licenced premises over the whole weekend though some bars outside of the city centre tend to do well on Sunday and Monday.

As for the stags and hens, if they can't plan ahead them screw them and their pink t shirts and fake dildos :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

jdmkol wrote: »

And what would happen if you genuinely missed your flight?

Locked in departures forever?

The main loss for would be the footfall of those who choose not to go out on the da, not the loss of alcohol sales. Many places opened but are far quieter than other weekends. Generally Easter weekend is slower for licenced premises over the whole weekend though some bars outside of the city centre tend to do well on Sunday and Monday.

As for the stags and hens, if they can't plan ahead them screw them and their pink t shirts and fake dildos :D
    I always thought those dildos were run real :0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Had no idea this was in the works. About time, tbh. The law is outdated and is a religious imposition on everyone affected by it. The nonsense that goes on about stocking up drink on the Thursday is also ridiculous mind, so I never had a huge amount of sympathy. But overall, it's time the rule was retired.

I'm surprised some Paddy hasn't taken this complaint to the European Court of Human Rights before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I'm surprised some Paddy hasn't taken this complaint to the European Court of Human Rights before.
    In theory, he might have gotten somewhere with it, I guess? Our Constitution talks about being a secular state, but Good Friday laws are a religious imposition enforced by the government (well, the State's police force). While on the scale of religious control on a society, it's pretty near the bottom, I suppose it could have opened a fair can of worms.

Advertisement