Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday Drinking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

meeeeh wrote: »
    I didn't say that you can't act. I don't care if ban is lifted, I find the uproar around it pathetic. A nation with healthy attitude to alcohol would consider it inconsequential. And as vehicle for more secular society it's low hanging fruit that won't improve life of anyone except to list your secular credentials on internet forum. Maybe they should start printing badges: I was there when good Friday alcohol ban was lifted.

BTW as far as I know geniuses that drafted the law forgot to include restaurants in the draft.

Idiotic guff. A nation with a 'healthy attitude' would allow adults to act as adults on any day of the year, "religious" or not.

You don't get it. It's the imposition of religious guff upon non-believers that all sensible people (non-believers) object to.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

meeeeh wrote: »
    Absolutely right. The health professionals have it for Ireland. They don't understand the unique Irish phsyque that processes the alcohol completely different than any other nation in the world.

Too right

I watched Italian men been carried out of the beer tent in Munich by half twelve in the day after a few steins while we were just finishing our pretzel breakfasts

• Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Whatever.

I'm not religious and I enjoy a drink but it was nice to have one night a year apart from Christmas day where one could walk around a city centre in this country and not have an uneasy feeling you're about to be screamed at...or barged into...or clocked on the head.

Of course that level of self-deprivation was too much for the Irish.

Why would you go into the city centre though when all the shops and pubs are closed, what's left?
    and you can be sure the street drinkers and junkies still had supplies in

It's not self-deprivation when it's imposed. I don't drink most days of the year but I choose which days those are. If you need other people to make choices for you you're not really a functioning adult, are you?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Why would you go into the city centre though when all the shops and pubs are closed, what's left?
    Oh what to do when you can't shop or drink? It says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'd readily support a ban on alcohol sales every Friday in exchange for a free day off work. I'd probably support a ban on the purchase of food for a day off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Veloce wrote: »
    A lad here in work has a Ryanair boarding pass to head to the airport and go drinking there. He's going with a few mates - no intention of boarding the aircraft.

That's pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm not religious and I enjoy a drink but it was nice to have one night a year apart from Christmas day where one could walk around a city centre in this country and not have an uneasy feeling you're about to be screamed at...or barged into...or clocked on the head..

Hope you bring your bodysuit of bubble wrap with you the other 363 days you visit the city centre. Flippin' hell! Never once have I had an iota of trouble in Dublin City centre or any other Irish City for that matter. Then again, I don't look for it.

For the Good Friday ban on sales, it doesn't really bother me as it's a one-off essentially but I very much disagree with the principle of it. So yes, I've no bother getting on with it but to be told "no you can't" because of some archaic law is rubbish and I'll be glad to see it gone on a matter of principle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I'm torn. When I used to work in bar Good Friday was great. It was the only night of the year we'd all be off together, and we'd get a rake of cans in and go to one of our houses and have the craic. Some of my best memories are from those nights. So it's sad that those workers will now have to work Good Friday, and only have one collective night off a year- Xmas day.

But on the other hand- it's bs. I'm not religious at all, and this archaic law has no place in Ireland today. It's different from Christmas Day, which is a national/international holiday and a family day. Afaik, you can still buy alcohol on xmas day. A petrol station in my town opens up for an hour after mass and they make more money selling wine than they do petrol.

I'm not arsed either way, if I'm totally honest. But it is good to see Ireland progressing and unshackling some of the restrictive and opressive and religious chains that have no bearing in society today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Why would you go into the city centre though when all the shops and pubs are closed, what's left? and you can be sure the street drinkers and junkies still had supplies in

Shops are open Good Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

I'm in England wohoo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,960 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Minimum pricing coming in also in this new bill.

That's the worrying and annoying part.

The much publicised Good Friday thing was a distraction technique so to sneak min. pricing in?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Wasn't minimum pricing already ruled illegal by the EU when Scotland tried to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

People keep going about bar staff having the day off on GF and Christmas Day.

Do they all have to work the other 363 days of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Staying in the Mews cottages in Faithlegg, Waterford over Easter, brother in law family too.

Got a call last week saying as we're not residents we can't have a drink today. Annoyed as nobody told us when booking & as far as I'm concerned we're residents of Faithlegg.

Not that we want to go on the lash but nice to have a drink in the evening.

People keep going about bar staff having the day off on GF and Christmas Day.

Do they all have to work the other 363 days of the year?

GF is work day for me and I don't overly care weather someone works or not. But I can imagine why bar staff wouldn't want to work on Christmas day. I imagine you would be dealing mostly with hassle customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

In the Philippines you have lads crucifying and whipping themselves.
    And Paddy, the poor ould crathur, does be moping around bored and dying of drought the entire day and night.

Wherefore all this misery? To what end?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Couldn't give a damn really and i'm not religious either.
    But people complaining about the pubs being shut on two days of the year have little to complain about. There will be plenty of drink on sale every other day.
    I think its nice to see the pub workers get a rest.

Where does this notion come from that pub workers don't get time off.

Ridiculous. Do people not know that bar workers get holidays, time off etc and subject to the same employment conditions as the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭howiya

topper75 wrote: »
    In the Philippines you have lads crucifying and whipping themselves.
    And Paddy, the poor ould crathur, does be moping around bored and dying of drought the entire day and night.

Wherefore all this misery? To what end?

In the Philippines it's against the law to sell alcohol on election days in case they vote for the local equivalent of the Healy-Raes. Maybe we should try it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It's not about drink for me, it's about delivering a solid "go f*ck yourself" to the Catholic Church. And I'm very far from an atheist before anyone makes any assumptions.

No religion should have any bearing whatsoever on the law of the land. Ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

murpho999 wrote: »
    Where does this notion come from that pub workers don't get time off.

Ridiculous. Do people not know that bar workers get holidays, time off etc and subject to the same employment conditions as the rest of us.

Nobody said they don't get time off, but a weekend? When bars are most busy? I don't know any barman that have Friday off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

SO who's up for a pint :D:D:D

RockSalto wrote: »
    Nobody said they don't get time off, but a weekend? When bars are most busy? I don't know any barman that have Friday off.

And a lot of pubs are family ran business' which employ family members. Having only one collective day off to spend together all year sounds a bit miserable. I get that's the name of the game, but bartenders have lives too and families they'd like to spend time with.

It's not about drink for me, it's about delivering a solid "go f*ck yourself" to the Catholic Church. And I'm very far from an atheist before anyone makes any assumptions.

Better cancel Christmas or St. Patrick then.

5starpool wrote: »
    Wasn't minimum pricing already ruled illegal by the EU when Scotland tried to do it?

The EU sent it back to the Scottish courts to decide on it I believe. Michael Noonan has already said he wouldn't bring in a sugar tax here until the UK did similar, so unless NI brings in MUP at the same time (and they have no current plans to do so I think) it would be bonkers to proceed. You would have to widen the M1 to Newry to 10 lanes if they did......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

How pathetic is it that people seek all kinds of avenues to have a drink on Good Friday, like hotel bars or train station bars?

Its one day FFS

Forbidden fruit,yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

anna080 wrote: »
    And a lot of pubs are a family ran business' which employ family members. Having only one collective day off to spend together all year sounds a bit miserable. I get that's the name of the game, but bartenders have lives too and families they'd like to spend time with.

It doesn't require the Government legislation to ensure/force Family run businesses have quality time together. If they are all working together every day of the year, I'd say they are sick of the sight of each other.

Anyway they can close any day they want (or hire agency staff). Would suit them better, in fact, close some quiet Monday in Jan and open GF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

What about freedom to practice any religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The much publicised Good Friday thing was a distraction technique so to sneak min. pricing in?

Just more of the publican/neo-prohibitionist agenda.

Quote from Senator Billy Lawless former Galway publican now USA based publican speaking in Seanad Eireann on Wednesday this week.

"We need to remove cheap low cost alcohol from supermarkets and off-licences. Currently an 18 year old with €10 can buy 10 cans of beer on Holy Thursday but cannot walk into a pub and meet friends and buy two or three drinks for the same money on Good Friday."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

elperello wrote: »
    Just more of the publican/neo-prohibitionist agenda.

Quote from Senator Billy Lawless former Galway publican now USA based publican speaking in Seanad Eireann on Wednesday this week.

"We need to remove cheap low cost alcohol from supermarkets and off-licences. Currently an 18 year old with €10 can buy 10 cans of beer on Holy Thursday but cannot walk into a pub and meet friends and buy two or three drinks for the same money on Good Friday."

If MUP is included in the "Good Friday" bill, I reckon it will have to have a commencement order that will only be triggered once NI introduce MUP aswell.

They haven't even got an Assembly up there, and haven't for ages, so whether MUP would be high on their agenda when it eventually reconvenes is debateable!

Advertisement