Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday Drinking

Options
  • 13-04-2017 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

How pathetic is it that people seek all kinds of avenues to have a drink on Good Friday, like hotel bars or train station bars?

Its one day FFS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How pathetic is it that people seek all kinds of avenues to have a drink on Good Friday, like hotel bars or train station bars?

Its one day FFS

Don't worry its last year of it so hopefully less drink next year and booze sails are down.

Funny how they are bringing in minimum pricing in the new legislation.

That's been kept very quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Last year for the full time sad bastards, might as well let them have it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Patww79 wrote: »

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Screw good Friday, why cant I buy beer at 9am any Sunday morn or go for a quick scoop Xmas morn before mass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Screw good Friday, why cant I buy beer at 9am any Sunday morn or go for a quick scoop Xmas morn before mass.

Set up your own bar in shed out back called manshed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

A lad here in work has a Ryanair boarding pass to head to the airport and go drinking there. He's going with a few mates - no intention of boarding the aircraft.

judeboy101 wrote: »

Because some poor bastard would have to work on Christmas day to serve you the pint

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Set up your own bar in shed out back called manshed

And serve myself? I want to pay for the pleasure of having a pint pulled for me by a minimum wage eastern European.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Someone wasn't invited for drinks tomorrow..

bear1 wrote: »
    Someone wasn't invited for drinks tomorrow..

I don't live in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I don't live in Ireland

So why do you care?
    I really doubt it's simply because it's Good Friday, more that it's a Friday, a long weekend and the end of a tiring week at work and you need to unwind.
    Some people do that via drinking, some via sports/gym and others by bitching about it on a forum.

Being Irish, and having spent the vast majority of my life there its something that I've always wondered.

There's 363 other days of the year they can drink

Is it something they do to appear cool? Like the boarding card guy mentioned above?

• Site Banned Posts: 32 NeverTheLess

What time do the pubs close tonight? It's not for drink I go out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Its one day FFS

How pathetic is it that someone can't decide, as a grown man, to have a drink tomorrow.
    Very pathetic.

If for religious, or personal reasons you don't want to drink on a certain day of the week, that is fine by me.

However, I as a responsible adult should be allowed to drink, if I so wish.

Patww79 wrote: »

Lawlllll

I have nothing against Ireland and I'm looking forward to moving back post university

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

What time do the pubs close tonight? It's not for drink I go out for?

• Site Banned Posts: 32 NeverTheLess

empacher wrote: »
    Ah, it'll probably be a quite night. I'll leave the women off the hook!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Veloce wrote: »
    A lad here in work has a Ryanair boarding pass to head to the airport and go drinking there. He's going with a few mates - no intention of boarding the aircraft.

Are they insane.

That seems mental behaviour to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Some lovely Belgian blondes , dubbels and triples to wash down my Bratwurst, all sorted for tomorrow.
    Up the secular republic.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Are they insane.

That seems mental behaviour to me.

Nah man, he's one of the lads #Banter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭daheff

How pathetic is it that someone can't decide, as a grown man, to have a drink tomorrow.
    Very pathetic.

If for religious, or personal reasons you don't want to drink on a certain day of the week, that is fine by me.

nobody is stopping you having a drink tomorrow. All they are doing is prohibiting the sale of alcohol.

If you want to drink tomorrow go buy your alcohol today and your problems are solved.

If you are the responsible adult you are alluding to be, then a bit of grown up organisation will see you sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'd say all the saddo's who have constantly complained about this over the last number of years will regret that they got their wish.

From next year it'll just be an ordinary day like any other. Most people work on Good Friday and so will just go about their normal daily routine and so it won't make any difference to them but to those who were off that day or students/unemployed who made a day out of it heading to friends homes so they could have a drink at a party or whatever will have lost the social aspect of what good Friday has meant to a lot of people in the past.

I'm from Donegal and years ago when I was in my teens and early 20's good Friday was the day we headed into Derry on the bus and had a few beers in some of the pubs and then got beer/whatever in an off licence and headed back home to someone's house where we continued drinking. That's now all gone now (not that I do that anymore) Good Friday will be forgotten and become another holy day to be ignored by the majority.

Well done all the pathetic whingers who have succeeded in this pathetic quest.

I'm guessing the same pathetic people will next focus their tiny minds on getting the pubs open on Christmas Day.

Very pathetic.

Nobody is stopping you from drinking. There's no law forbidding you from drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tonto24

You're also not supposed to eat meat. It will not stop me chomping into a steak

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I'm from Donegal and years ago when I was in my teens and early 20's good Friday was the day we headed into Derry on the bus and had a few beers in some of the pubs and then got beer/whatever in an off licence and headed back home to someone's house where we continued drinking. That's now all gone now (not that I do that anymore) Good Friday will be forgotten and become another holy day to be ignored by the majority.

I was agreeing with you until you said holy day! Come on now, it being a holy day has nothing to do with you and your mates going to Derry!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I was agreeing with you until you said holy day! Come on now, it being a holy day has nothing to do with you and your mates going to Derry!

Advertisement