Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday Drinking

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

I'd say all the saddo's who have constantly complained about this over the last number of years will regret that they got their wish.

From next year it'll just be an ordinary day like any other. Most people work on Good Friday and so will just go about their normal daily routine and so it won't make any difference to them but to those who were off that day or students/unemployed who made a day out of it heading to friends homes so they could have a drink at a party or whatever will have lost the social aspect of what good Friday has meant to a lot of people in the past.

I'm from Donegal and years ago when I was in my teens and early 20's good Friday was the day we headed into Derry on the bus and had a few beers in some of the pubs and then got beer/whatever in an off licence and headed back home to someone's house where we continued drinking. That's now all gone now (not that I do that anymore) Good Friday will be forgotten and become another holy day to be ignored by the majority.

Well done all the pathetic whingers who have succeeded in this pathetic quest.

I'm guessing the same pathetic people will next focus their tiny minds on getting the pubs open on Christmas Day.

That's it, Years ago when I was a chisler sure it was great craic trying to get into what bar & be able to boast about it the next day, even the lad going into Ryanair, sure its a bit of fun & devilment. Now were going just have a Friday, nothing good about it :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Being Irish, and having spent the vast majority of my life there its something that I've always wondered.

There's 363 other days of the year they can drink

Is it something they do to appear cool? Like the boarding card guy mentioned above?

You say you are in university abroad, again I ask why do you care if people want to drink tomorrow?
    You seem to be exaggerating the entirety of it tbh.
    It's a 4 day weekend, people are obviously going to want to drink.
    Let them off with it, it doesn't even affect you in the slightest

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

How pathetic is it that people seek all kinds of avenues to have a drink on Good Friday, like hotel bars or train station bars?

Its one day FFS

All the yahoos are packing out the pubs as we speak in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

pilly wrote: »
    I was agreeing with you until you said holy day! Come on now, it being a holy day has nothing to do with you and your mates going to Derry!

No you picked me up wrong or I came across wrong. I couldn't give a **** about the religious aspect of it, what I meant is that it will now be just like any of the rest of the religious holidays which have no bearing on the vast majority of people's lives and will be forgotten about. Up until now, rightly or wrongly it stood out from the rest because the pubs were closed. we looked forward to it as it was a day when we'd do something different to every other Friday in the year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

I'm from Donegal and years ago when I was in my teens and early 20's good Friday was the day we headed into Derry on the bus and had a few beers in some of the pubs and then got beer/whatever in an off licence and headed back home to someone's house where we continued drinking. That's now all gone now (not that I do that anymore) Good Friday will be forgotten and become another holy day to be ignored by the majority.

I'm guessing the same pathetic people will next focus their tiny minds on getting the pubs open on Christmas Day.

I'm confused.....people wanting to have the choice of having a drink tommorrow are pathetic. Yet you also claim that having the pubs open will ruin it for people like yourself that (used to or still do) bus it to the 6 counties to get smashed in a pub there ( you're not going out of your way for a couple of pints. Let's be honest) then stock up and go home and binge drink some more??

Wow. Double standards much???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

bear1 wrote: »
    You say you are in university abroad, again I ask why do you care if people want to drink tomorrow?
    You seem to be exaggerating the entirety of it tbh.
    It's a 4 day weekend, people are obviously going to want to drink.
    Let them off with it, it doesn't even affect you in the slightest

Why do you care about me caring?

I find the incessant need of some to go to the pub tomorrow strange, that's all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Why do you care about me caring?

I find the incessant need of some to go to the pub tomorrow strange, that's all.

There are a host of reasons behind it. I imagine even a casual pub goer might be annoyed if tomorrow is an occasion that he would like to frequent a pub and is unable to for essentially purely religious reasons. The denial of choice is frustrating.

Those who go to great lengths to find a drinking establishment possibly just enjoy the adventure of it as much as anything. Rather than an inability to go one day without drinking.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Why do you feel so strongly about it? LIke seriously, who is forcing you to drink tomorrow or go to the pub next year when they're open? Look after your own house and less of the outrage about what other people do when it has absolutely no bearing on you.

I think you picked me up wrong. I don't drink anymore so I couldn't care less. What I meant was is that I think they should have left it as it is because for most of those complaining about the pubs being closed it had become a day where it was a bit of fun to go to other people's houses for a drink rather than the pub, or to the airport or a hotel or whatever. For us when we were young it meant a day out in Derry and a house party afterwards. It was a social fun day out, now that's been lost and it just becomes another ordinary day. People will go about their day as normal, they might go out that night to the pubs or clubs but it won't be any different to any other night they
    Go out.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    There are a host of reasons behind it. I imagine even a casual pub goer might be annoyed if tomorrow is an occasion that he would like to frequent a pub and is unable to for essentially purely religious reasons. The denial of choice is frustrating.

Those who go to great lengths to find a drinking establishment possibly just enjoy the adventure of it as much as anything. Rather than an inability to go one day without drinking.

The pubs are not closed for religious religions now, there closed because of state law, so when the state changes the law, they can open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The pubs are not closed for religious religions now, there closed because of state law, so when the state changes the law, they can open.

A law with no grounding or reason apart from a religious one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Is minimum pricing coming in? That's gonna be disastrous. It will be around 15€ for 6 cans.

dbagman wrote: »
    I'm confused.....people wanting to have the choice of having a drink tommorrow are pathetic. Yet you also claim that having the pubs open will ruin it for people like yourself that (used to or still do) bus it to the 6 counties to get smashed in a pub there ( you're not going out of your way for a couple of pints. Let's be honest) then stock up and go home and binge drink some more??

Wow. Double standards much???

How is it double standards? We enjoyed good Friday as it was a day out. I never complained about the pubs being closed here as we made other arrangements. I think people should embrace the day as 'a pubs closed day make other arrangements' sort of day whereas from now on it's just another day.

I think it's pathetic that so many people complained about it rather than just getting on with it and making their own arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What's pathetic is complaining about people wanting to get a ridiculous law changed when you just ignored that law anyway and hopped over the border, while those not living in border counties had to just suck it up.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

daheff wrote: »
    nobody is stopping you having a drink tomorrow. All they are doing is prohibiting the sale of alcohol.

If you want to drink tomorrow go buy your alcohol today and your problems are solved.

If you are the responsible adult you are alluding to be, then a bit of grown up organisation will see you sorted.

Why am I prevented from buying alcohol tomorrow if I so wish?
    What justification is there for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its pretty damn sad if you need some excuse to go and have a good time with your friends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭Luggnuts

How pathetic is it that people seek all kinds of avenues to have a drink on Good Friday, like hotel bars or train station bars?

Its one day FFS

What about those who only want to drink on one day?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

This annoys two kinds of people. Alcoholics and those who think it's cool human rights issue to fight for. A bit pathetic in either case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

90 years ago it might have seemed like a good idea, in 2017 it's time to scrap it.

Its taken the good out of Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Couldn't give a damn really and i'm not religious either.
    But people complaining about the pubs being shut on two days of the year have little to complain about. There will be plenty of drink on sale every other day.
    I think its nice to see the pub workers get a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,453 ✭✭✭✭elperello

TallGlass wrote: »
    Is minimum pricing coming in? That's gonna be disastrous. It will be around 15€ for 6 cans.

Yes it is but the actual price levels have not been set yet.

It's the next big drink fight, the neo-prohibitionists vs. the ordinary decent drinkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

As usual, there are more people complaining about the supposed complainers, than there are people complaining about the ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Good Friday = only Friday of the year that I really want a drink.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

How is it double standards? We enjoyed good Friday as it was a day out. I never complained about the pubs being closed here as we made other arrangements. I think people should embrace the day as 'a pubs closed day make other arrangements' sort of day whereas from now on it's just another day.

I think it's pathetic that so many people complained about it rather than just getting on with it and making their own arrangements.

The double standards lie in you calling those that want to be able to have a pint on a friday of a bank holiday weekend pathetic and all the while you making other arrangements to go to a different pub outside this law. Bully for you being able to make these other arrangements. What about those well south of the border where your other arrangements might involve a 5 or 6 hour + round trip?

My fave quote of yours has to be where you say you "enjoyed good Friday as it was a day out". That is exactly why people are bemoaning this outdated law!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Meh sure it's all a bit of fun to try and find or organise a party for it. There's plenty of events knocking about that look like a bit of fun and are a bit gimmicky.

Just walk around and follow the music to a house party :pac:

...Or just ignore it and continue on with your day.

It's all good

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I don't care about the Good Friday ban on pubs being open. Love my booze, but the ban never ever bothered me. If its removed next year, it won't affect me one iota. However I will say this. Once pubs open on Good Friday, they will just get the usual crowd and off license sales will be the usual Friday night take. Life will go on and there will probably be less binge drinking over the Thursday and Friday.

But once the vintners get their way, I'd like to see cafes serving alcohol and an extension of alcohol purchasing hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

2 litres of Smirnoff for 40 in Tesco for anyone who has the Good Friday fever

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

2 litres of Smirnoff for 40 in Tesco for anyone who has the Good Friday fever

I'd say the off licences are doing a roaring trade about now because no alcohol will ever be sold again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'd say the off licences are doing a roaring trade about now because no alcohol will ever be sold again.

You just can't take the chance

Advertisement