Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko/Sab/Edision triple Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Hope the guys who were always going around here with a wink and a smiley face about how they didn't pay for Sky but still got it are happy now, what did you expect was going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭championc

Does anyone have a copy of an OpenATV 5.3 original zip file for the AA2 (rather than taking a copy off a box).

You can only download 6.0 from the OpenATV website but that's not working for IPTV

Does anyone have a copy of an OpenATV 5.3 original zip file for the AA2 (rather than taking a copy off a box).

You can only download 6.0 from the OpenATV website but that's not working for IPTV

• Registered Users Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭deezell

Hope the guys who were always going around here with a wink and a smiley face about how they didn't pay for Sky but still got it are happy now, what did you expect was going to happen.

This is a forum for linux operating system receivers, specifically the enigma2 system running on the amiko alien2 box and derivatives, with a nod to the edision receiver. You might be surprised to find that one of the major reasons for owning such a box is to have 7 day epg across freesat and terrestrial channels all in one fta box. This was the holy grail for many, and its a facility i think I'm right in saying that is still not available on a sky box, i.e. no subscription no Rte, no terrestrial tuner. Add to that the ability of the box to timeshift, record, series link, stream, access remotely, share and so on, basic technical innovations which your precious sky gouges you for. You can thank linux box owners for the increased range of these services now included in a basic sky sub, as sky feels so threatened by the idea of it monopoly being challenged. If you watch free view 99.999 % of the time, the availability of sky channels is no more than a novelty. If i wanted a to watch a match i can buy a pint in a pub and watch it. The publican does not request 6 months beer money in advance. Pay per view and on demand are the future, sky's monolithic model is a dinosaur. They are trashing about trying to digitally shore up the dam, while the public blithely ignore their efforts and find their entertainment in the format that suits them. If sky wont sell you a stream of an individual event the the customer will just find another source. I'm assuming your smug post was in recognition of sky's recent move to hard encrypt most of their sd content. This move seriously inconvenienced many sky subscribers who were only too happy to pay a sub but liked to think they had some control of the content that they paid for, which room they could watch it in, whither they could record it, view it on their phone at home or away etc. Sky's response is probably too little too late. They chase the big subscriber, the €90 a month or €1000 a year cash cow. There are far more fiver a view customers out there if they open their eyes. Look at the mobile phone companies. You can sign up for €100 a month for the big bang service, but equally you can exist on a meagre occasional €5 topup if you are an occasional user or just plain broke. Competition ensures this is thus, but for the tv industry there is no comparable competition until the EU legislates, so the the vacuum is filled by other means.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Excellent post.
    My Sky sub expired yesterday and I will not miss it. I realised I was mostly watching the channels that are free (Saorview, BBC) with only an occasional dip into their premium channels. That occasional dip was costing me 60-70 a month!

That said, I would still use Sky if they come around to a more event / one-off subscription for big events, which I see they have started doing with "Now TV". Although strangely I don't see them promoting that service very much? Odd...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

I use my sat box for strictly free to air satellite and saoirview channels and have a superb range of quality HD to choose from and can also record 3 channels at the same time, can rearrange the channel listing order to my hearts content and all totally free! So stick your wink and your smiley face in your pipe and smoke it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Harcrid

championc wrote: »

Might have one for you. Let me check when i get home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Harcrid

http://images1.mynonpublic.com/openatv/5.3/index.php?open=amikoalien

I have yet to get IPTV working on the AA2 not matter what version of OpenATV I try.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Guys, putting "*nothing illegal*" in your posts won't turn something illegal legal. I'm watching this thread

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Excellent post...............................That said, I would still use Sky if they come around to a more event / one-off subscription for big events, which I see they have started doing with "Now TV". Although strangely I don't see them promoting that service very much? Odd...

Now Tv might be a step in the right direction, but it's dogged by bad will. Reading current subscribers comments, it seems they are ripping of Irish customers to the tune of almost double the price compared to UK, (€10 for 24hr access to just one range of services, i.e. drama, movies, sport), and they have disabled chromecast from the app in the ROI, so you cant stream it to your TV, which I thought would be the point of having it. In the UK you get two simultaneous streams for your sub, but chromecast from a device counts as two. You can use their proprietary box or plug in a PC/laptop to get it on the TV, but no sign of a linux plugin to make it available on your own receiver. I'd imagine a Smart android TV could have it via the app. Ideally you'd want to have it as channel entries which could be activated on demand when you pay your tenner.
    Other problem is your 24 hours is not pausable, it expire 24 hours after the moment you first watch a bit of content, even only for a second. Pausing the stream does not add any minutes either, so if you are watching next day towards the end of your 24 hours and you pause the program for 20 minutes say, it will go blank on 24 hours, not on 24+20 minutes It needs to be a time based service to succeed, like mobile phone minutes. I'd say many would pay €10 for say 5 non contiguous hours of content, ads excluded. I suppose Sky are so used to people paying regardless if they watch, that they are loathe to change their business model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gct

Total beginner here. I have a golden media spark triplex running the spark os which seems to be obsolete. (spark I mean, not the box) There hasn't been an update available for ages. I was thinking of switching to enigma. Can anyone recommend an enigma image. I'm looking for freesat, saorview epg and possibly rte player? Is it possible to separate the freeview channels from the scrambled pay channels? That is, a separate EPG for freeview channels? Will an E2 image for amiko alien triple tuner work on a Golden media Spark Triplex? From googling they seem to be exactly the same box with different brand names. Thanks in advance!

Image, pkt hyperion, vix4, open atv.
    Freesat, saorview with full 7 day epg available with crossepg plugin. Rte player plugin is dead as rte player server ugraded.
    When doing a full scan just select free channels only, all scrambled channels will be ignored. Autoboquets plugin creates separate free view lists, but you have to manually add in saorview scanned channels using webif interface, or dreambox edit software.
    Yes, Amiko alien2, Sab triple and GM triple are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

Champ, does this link work for you?
    (@Harcrid beat me to it)
    http://images1.mynonpublic.com/openatv/5.3/index.php?open=amikoalien

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gct

deezell wrote: »
    Image, pkt hyperion, vix4, open atv.
    Freesat, saorview with full 7 day epg available with crossepg plugin. Rte player plugin is dead as rte player server ugraded.
    When doing a full scan just select free channels only, all scrambled channels will be ignored. Autoboquets plugin creates separate free view lists, but you have to manually add in saorview scanned channels using webif interface, or dreambox edit software.
    Yes, Amiko alien2, Sab triple and GM triple are the same.

Thanks for the reply! Much appreciated.

bappelbe wrote:
    Champ, does this link work for you? (@Harcrid beat me to it)

Yes, i got it and got what i needed setup and it worked perfectly. No idea as to how they managed to break things then in 6.0

gct wrote:
    Total beginner here. I have a golden media spark triplex running the spark os which seems to be obsolete. (spark I mean, not the box) There hasn't been an update available for ages. I was thinking of switching to enigma. Can anyone recommend an enigma image. I'm looking for freesat, saorview epg and possibly rte player? Is it possible to separate the freeview channels from the scrambled pay channels? That is, a separate EPG for freeview channels? Will an E2 image for amiko alien triple tuner work on a Golden media Spark Triplex? From googling they seem to be exactly the same box with different brand names. Thanks in advance!

I'd highly recommend OpenATV 5.3 as posted in #104 above

• Registered Users Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Will have to give that a try this week. Want to stay on e2 if at all possible. I'm just not a fan of spark.

how.gareth wrote: »
    I use my sat box for strictly free to air satellite and saoirview channels and have a superb range of quality HD to choose from and can also record 3 channels at the same time, can rearrange the channel listing order to my hearts content and all totally free! So stick your wink and your smiley face in your pipe and smoke it

I see our smileywinker friend was banned on another thread. Can't say I'm surprised.

Digidol wrote:
    Ok so I tried a few different images, I flashed the latest versions of HDMU and PKTeam and the IPTV channels didn't play anymore smooth, or as smooth as Kodi...I guess the Alien 2 just isn't capable enough of handling the streams which is disappointing.

It is - use OpenATV 5.3

Digidol wrote:
    Ok so I tried a few different images, I flashed the latest versions of HDMU and PKTeam and the IPTV channels didn't play anymore smooth, or as smooth as Kodi...I guess the Alien 2 just isn't capable enough of handling the streams which is disappointing.

It is - use OpenATV 5.3

• Advertisement

deezell wrote: »
    I see our smileywinker friend was banned on another thread. Can't say I'm surprised.

Yep he just pops in and throws out a bizarre comment and disappears back to his hive. Gob****e

It is - use OpenATV 5.3

The iptv plugin on the pkt hyperion feed seems to stream smoothly, albeit ive only tried some of the odd polish and eastern european channels in its repository. It can be used to access playlists of channels you have saved to usb or hdd. It's cumbersome to navigate all those menues just to get to a few channel entries. I've had success dropping a few iptv channels into the epg and they play without a hitch, itv, ch4 and the like.The most likely cause of stutter is the speed and reliability of the end to end data connection. Some links are unreliable. Your own connection to the box may be shaky. If its perfect on kodi but stutters on enigma2, check what network connection you are using. Wired or homeplugs preferable to wifi for the least interruption.

It is - use OpenATV 5.3

Silly question time! Can you record your iptv on your open atv?

Iptv plugin has record buttons, i guess epg iptv channels can have a timer set also. Ill check it out later on hyperion, cant imagine OpenAtv is any different.

deezell wrote:
    Iptv plugin has record buttons, i guess epg iptv channels can have a timer set also. Ill check it out later on hyperion, cant imagine OpenAtv is any different.

I'm not using any plugin. Channels are in bouquets
    how.gareth wrote:

Unfortunately, i think that Enigma2 images are expecting to copy and save from Tuners. I certainly haven't managed to record yet.

Cheers lads would it be possible to use the record function on the tv itself? I dont have iptv setup on the box at the mo so can't try it myself

Cheers lads would it be possible to use the record function on the tv itself? I dont have iptv setup on the box at the mo so can't try it myself

If your tv has a record function, its likely it will only record from the tv tuner, not the hdmi input from the box.

gct wrote:

Tried this image and I have the same problem as on other images. Picture/sound is jumpy. It's not the feed because it works fine on my laptop. Is there anything I need to install on this image to make it work better or did it work straight away for you?

FrostyJim wrote:
    Tried this image and I have the same problem as on other images. Picture/sound is jumpy. It's not the feed because it works fine on my laptop. Is there anything I need to install on this image to make it work better or did it work straight away for you?

It worked straight away. I didn't install any plugins except epgimport, nor did i even scan any terrestrial or satellite

While running, telnet to the box and run "top". That will show you the memory and cpu status

• Advertisement

It worked straight away. I didn't install any plugins except epgimport, nor did i even scan any terrestrial or satellite

While running, telnet to the box and run "top". That will show you the memory and cpu status

Will try that tonight and maybe import a playlist via telnet to see if it makes a difference. At the moment i'm using a m3u to bouquet converter.

Advertisement