Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko/Sab/Edision triple Discussion

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭deezell

The Tiviar seems to be a far better box for the money

After some brief readups I'm inclined to agree. A lot of box for £99, with shipping in euros, €128. I note it is transcoding capable, a real bonus if streaming abroad from your box with limited bandwidth. It wouldn't break the bank to try one out.

On Hyperian 4.5. having problems with Crossepg in the last few days. Not updating, looks like its trying to at the allocated time. When I take it out of stand-by, epg extremely slow, end up rebooting box to get epg working properly. I reloaded image but same thing happening. Removed crossepg & re-installed. Just gets stuck on starting downloader when I start it. Any ideas?

Check your hard disk. It might be full, or the box might be trying to store the epg file to flash memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

deezell wrote: »
    After some brief readups I'm inclined to agree. A lot of box for £99, with shipping in euros, €128. I note it is transcoding capable, a real bonus if streaming abroad from your box with limited bandwidth. It wouldn't break the bank to try one out.

Agreed. I got one a few weeks ago I'm over the moon with it. I got a 1TB HDD from Amazon delivered for €45.

I had been using a SAB/Android Hybrid box. This model. It's been crashing every 2 weeks or so. Does anyone know if it's possible to flash this with Enigma or is it too old?

sligojoek wrote: »
    Agreed. I got one a few weeks ago I'm over the moon with it. I got a 1TB HDD from Amazon delivered for €45.

I had been using a SAB/Android Hybrid box. This model. It's been crashing every 2 weeks or so. Does anyone know if it's possible to flash this with Enigma or is it too old?
    It's not even supported by Android anymore, I doubt if anyone tried to compile an enigma2 source for its processor, although some have attempted E2 compilation for other android boxes/ devices, see here;
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-stick--console-computers/amlogic/mecool-ki-pro-hybrid-android-tv-box-t3611718/page17/page17

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It's not even supported by Android anymore, I doubt if anyone tried to compile an enigma2 source for its processor, although some have attempted E2 compilation for other android boxes/ devices, see here;
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-stick--console-computers/amlogic/mecool-ki-pro-hybrid-android-tv-box-t3611718/page17/page17

Thanks for that. I kinda figured it was out of date. Well and good if there was a simple fix. Too much hassle when I can buy something newer that'll be future proofed for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

On Hyperian 4.5. having problems with Crossepg in the last few days. Not updating, looks like its trying to at the allocated time. When I take it out of stand-by, epg extremely slow, end up rebooting box to get epg working properly. I reloaded image but same thing happening. Removed crossepg & re-installed. Just gets stuck on starting downloader when I start it. Any ideas?

deezell wrote:
    Check your hard disk. It might be full, or the box might be trying to store the epg file to flash memory.

The hard drive has loads of space but I tried delete recordings and getting 'cannot move to trash can. I have error 5, input /output error'. It is recording OK. I've powered down hard drive separately, redid the connections but still crossepg not loading. I've got it disabled on the timer to prevent the lockups.

The hard drive has loads of space but I tried delete recordings and getting 'cannot move to trash can. I have error 5, input /output error'. It is recording OK. I've powered down hard drive separately, redid the connections but still crossepg not loading. I've got it disabled on the timer to prevent the lockups.

That's a read write error, if its not deleting it's not changing epg data file. Plug hdd into a pc if its ntfs or fat and do a disc check, erase epg.dat. If it's Ext, use a utility such as EasUs partition master. Also temporarily plug in a memory stick and charnge epg to use this as storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 nice_day

Hi folks. I'm moving on from my Amiko Alien 2 and looking for recommendations. What is the best box to facilitate having bouquets with satellite / terrestrial feeds from my dish alongside iptv channels? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

nice_day wrote: »
    Hi folks. I'm moving on from my Amiko Alien 2 and looking for recommendations. What is the best box to facilitate having bouquets with satellite / terrestrial feeds from my dish alongside iptv channels? Thanks in advance.

I've not got this particular box, but the tiviar has its own thread here and appears to be very popular.

The next generation of the Sab/Amiko Triple is called the Sab Alpha. Check it out at https://www.freetv.ie/triple-tuners/ .

Main System
    Main Processor 1.3 GHz Dual Core (2000DMIPS)
    Memory Flash-ROM : 256Mbytes / SDRAM : 512MBytes (DDR3)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

The next generation of the Sab/Amiko Triple is called the Sab Alpha. Check it out at https://www.freetv.ie/triple-tuners/ .

Main System

nice but dont really see the point in paying to upgrade to it

Nowso wrote: »
    nice but dont really see the point in paying to upgrade to it

If your old triple is running fine then leave well enough alone, but at this stage many users feel that something with a bit more oomph and versatility is required. IP streaming is so much more reliable on a faster box, but with so many smart tvs equipped with the IPTV app it's maybe easier to use that feature. My smart set is a triple, 2 sat and one terrestrial, but its completely unusable from the point of view of flicking between sat and terrestrial channels as most tvs are forbidden under licence to combine freesat and terrestrial in one EPG. Those I know who stream via the app on the set tend to use it for all channels, not switching back to the tuner for FTA. At least with a fast linux box you can combine FTA sat, terrestrial and stream into one epg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭championc

On the expensive side but the Edision OS Mega is a great box for FTA Terrestrial and Satellite and for IPTV

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

yes im still using my old triple and if im streaming use an android tv android box - simpler way to go

championc wrote: »
    On the expensive side but the Edision OS Mega is a great box for FTA Terrestrial and Satellite and for IPTV

It is indeed, and it can playback uhd recordings ( in HD) but is it availabe? I see it for £250 in the UK in one outlet, way more expensive than the Alpha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Main System

The Amiko has always been a buggy POS, is that the same? Or is it another "we'll release it now and try and fix it later with an update".

Kuva wrote: »
    The Amiko has always been a buggy POS, is that the same? Or is it another "we'll release it now and try and fix it later with an update".

Can't say tbh, I've asked here for user reviews, nothing yet. I'd be reasonably confident that with the faster processor, greater memory and particularly as it is single operating system with Enigma as the factory OS install, the prospects look good for stability and responsiveness. (Remember, Alien/Sab were Factory installed with Spark, Enigma was a warranty free user plaything). I've not investigated to see if the processor it uses is common to other receivers and therefore would use the same image, but many of those images are very stable. I can only surmise that it uses an Alpha processor, the clue being in the name.
    Fwiw, the Alien/Sab could be buggy with some images, plugins, user misconfigurations etc., but plenty of users have had long reliable service from them, especially if using a well configured image and avoiding too much tinkering. A piece of s**t it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I switched from the Amiko Alien 2 to the Mutant HD51.
    Its only a twin satellite tuner but I use a cheap USB Terrestrial tuner .
    Extremely fast box ,4k,with internal hard drive ,1Gb of Ram,4GB of Flash so you can multiboot 4 different image.
    Picture quality is good too,better than a Mips receiver .
    Good for iptv too ,has Kodi built in etc.

Main System

Its the same box as the Octagon SF3038 ,uses the Broadcom 7241 chipset,3000 DMIPS.
    The Tiviar Alpha uses a similar chipset ,the Broadcom BCM7356 Dual Core 1.3GHz also 3000 DMIPS so I'd expect similar performance.
    Tiviar Alpha is a bit cheaper so a better buy.
    Both receivers are Mips so picture quality wont be as good as the Alien .

Zardoz wrote: »
    ...Its the same box as the Octagon SF3038 ,uses the Broadcom 7241 chipset,3000 DMIPS.
    The Tiviar Alpha uses a similar chipset ,the Broadcom BCM7356 Dual Core 1.3GHz also 3000 DMIPS so I'd expect similar performance.
    Tiviar Alpha is a bit cheaper so a better buy.
    Both receivers are Mips so picture quality wont be as good as the Alien .

A bit cheaper? Here it is for £99. At that price its worth a punt, or even €110, if you'll pardon the pun(t). Ok, i'm going.

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/tiviar-alpha-plus

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

How can I manually add a single channel with an edision underline 3in1?

Every time I do it seems to erase other channels or I lose my soarsat channels or it changes the epg order.

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    How can I manually add a single channel with an edision underline 3in1?

Every time I do it seems to erase other channels or I lose my soarsat channels or it changes the epg order.

Digital tuners tune in multiple channels per tuner transponder, TP (sat) or multiplex, MUX (terrestrial). Im not familiar with this model, but with linux boxes you can generally store scanned mux in bouguets, then if you rescan a different mux which contains the same channels, say kippure or mount leinster, the new scanned list gets stored in list named "last scanned", and you would use bouquet editing to sort in and out of your original Saorview bouquet. Check out the tutorial here for your model.
    https://www.freetv.ie/edision-optimuss-underline-3-in-1-user-manual/

Do you have the OS Mega?

I have one but I'm having issues with it the last few months. It started hanging randomly about two months ago. The box was quite hot so i suspect it was that. It had been in the same location and working for for 18 months though.

I reinstalled another image but the hanging issue reoccurs, there is no crash log when this happens.

It also struggles when watching live sports on terrestrial, the hurling yesterday was unwatchable, very stuttery (for want of a better word) when those shots where the camera is panning up and down the pitch following the sliotar. I had to plug the aerial straight into the TV in the end to watch it.

If you have the same box, have you experienced any similar issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭championc

I have it's predisessor, the OS 3+. I have no idea as to why you are experiencing such issues. I run IPTV on it too. I don't use Oscam anymore. It's our daily driver.

Are you running OpenATV with the default Matrix skin ?

I have it's predisessor, the OS 3+. I have no idea as to why you are experiencing such issues. I run IPTV on it too. I don't use Oscam anymore. It's our daily driver.

Open box and blow out dust and lint. That model has a fan I think, so its going to clog. Is it in a cabinet with no air circulation? My elderly edision 3-1 began behaving like that, running very hot in a closed cabinet. It died eventually , no osd or epg or response to remote, though I could change channels with the front buttons. Also, only output on scart, so it was the video chip which partially fried. Same happened an identical box in sons place.

Open box and blow out dust and lint. That model has a fan I think, so its going to clog. Is it in a cabinet with no air circulation? My elderly edision 3-1 began behaving like that, running very hot in a closed cabinet. It died eventually , no osd or epg or response to remote, though I could change channels with the front buttons. Also, only output on scart, so it was the video chip which partially fried. Same happened an identical box in sons place.

Thanks for that, i'll try that when i get home.

It is in a TV cabinet under the TV along with an unused DVD player, i suppose it could get warm there, the hanging started to happen during our warm spell.

I've an openvix image running, I'll try an openatv image as a test.

Advertisement