Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko/Sab/Edision triple Discussion

Options
  • 07-04-2017 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭

As you may have noticed, the Amiko Alien2/ Sab triple thread was closed due to a bit of indiscretion during recent discussions. The thread was a mine of information and these boxes and their images are still current. I suggest this new thread as a starting point for continued compliant discussion relating to technical queries associated with these boxes. For reference the original thread is here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057246289

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭DopeTech

One skin to watch - Slyk Onyx. Looks great so far.

https://linuxsat-support.com/thread/123916-slyk-onyx-work-in-progress/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭deezell

Replaced my Terrestrial aerial with a 13 element and got my signal levels up to 78 (I'm in a sh**e reception area). I have this weird event where the terrestrial signal level falls when I stream or record from a sat channel. it drops by 15-20, this was enough to fail the tuner when my levels were only in the 60s to begin with. They are working now, but I'd say only just. Has anyone else suffered this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Decided to reinstall my hyperion 4.5 image this evening as the box was starting to get a bit unresponsive, and now I'm regretting it!

Problems-

1. Setting up the WiFi- when I go into systems/network I only get an option for WLAN, then into blue panel/network/wifi driver setup. Tried Railink RT5370 driver does nothing except restart the box?

Want to setup channel list using dreambox edit and need the wifi working.

2. EPG no longer working- I know there was some discussion about this in the old thread. I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall but got an error.

3. Hard drive has stopped working. But it knows it is there.

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Decided to reinstall my hyperion 4.5 image this evening as the box was starting to get a bit unresponsive, and now I'm regretting it!

Problems-

1. Setting up the WiFi- when I go into systems/network I only get an option for WLAN, then into blue panel/network/wifi driver setup. Tried Railink RT5370 driver does nothing except restart the box?

Want to setup channel list using dreambox edit and need the wifi working.

2. EPG no longer working- I know there was some discussion about this in the old thread. I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall but got an error.

The wired connection should just connect once you have a cable to your router connected. You can go to the adapter settings to see what ip address has been assigned.
    Is 'it' the box or the epg? You can check if cross epg is configured to use the hard drive to save epg data. Also it needs to be configured to use the Astra 28.2 as the epg source.As you say the old thread discussed all the potential reasons why epg stalls. Generally it fails eventually if it tries to use the box memory, instead of a usb or hdd. It will also fail if you have 2 tuners enabled but only one sat cable. If the hdd is not mounted it won't be available to select as epg storage. Do a search in old thread for cross epg, going back a year at most. All the answers are there, Wi-Fi also. If you uninstalled crossepg plugin you will need network connection to relist it in download plugins.
    What image did you reflash? If it's old you might need to update the satellites.xml file to make sure you have the epg channel listed

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Wlan is WiFi
    Needs a proper solid ethernet cables connection
    Advice get a set of to link homeplugs and plug directly into wall sockets running ethernet cable from modem to homeplugs a and at homeplug b cable from it to reciever
    Note homeplugs do not work well on an extension lead due to noise from other plugged in devices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

EPG can be defective due to corrupted SD card
    Or inferior card
    Get another card and see if that resolves issue

I'm assuming the hdd and wìfi dongle were working before the reflash, so all the new problems are down to configuration settings in the reflash image differing from the original image. Definitely try to get a wired network connection, the image you are using may not have the correct drivers for your Wi-Fi dongle, and you will need a wired connection to download these before Wi-Fi can be configured. The image may already be configured for a disk different than yours if it is someone else's backup, so you should unmount the hdd, set disk settings to automount, reboot then plug in your hdd.

Just spotted this in another thread.
    http://www.echannelizer.com/
    An alternative to Dreambox editor. Looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

FrostyJim wrote: »
    One skin to watch - Slyk Onyx. Looks great so far.

https://linuxsat-support.com/thread/123916-slyk-onyx-work-in-progress/

Reading through the comments on that and they seem to say it won't work on the amiko

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭DopeTech

how.gareth wrote: »
    Reading through the comments on that and they seem to say it won't work on the amiko

Yeah it's a pity, it won't work on Hyperion images but will on openatv ones. I have never found them as stable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

Barnaboy wrote:

Did you disable LAN connection and enable the rt5370 driver. I cannot think what other issue it could be

Barnaboy wrote:

Search boards with the word "coolman" and the first thread might be what you're looking for.

Barnaboy wrote:

Try unmount and then mount again

I have the image setup with all the channels etc if you want a copy

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Yeah it's a pity, it won't work on Hyperion images but will on openatv ones. I have never found them as stable.

Yeah I had the sky skin on my Hyperion for a while but the default pkt skins run far smoother and are actually better looking imo once you tweak them to your liking

I've finally upgraded my 9 year old plasma to a 4k UHD led and am just wondering what setting I should have my box, 1080i or 1080p and what refresh rate? My plasma was only HD ready so was set at 720p

how.gareth wrote: »
    I've finally upgraded my 9 year old plasma to a 4k UHD led and am just wondering what setting I should have my box, 1080i or 1080p and what refresh rate? My plasma was only HD ready so was set at 720p

Astra HD signals are 1080i 50hz, So set the box to this and the tv will upscale to it native resolution 2160. It will double the pixels and decode the interlace ( the "i') to the non interlaced screen image, p. Setting the box to 1080p puts interlace decoding task on the box video chip, so let the tv handle it. If you watch a lot of SD channels, the box will have to upscale these 576i signals to 1080i, with the tv further converting to it's screen res of 2160, SD might look best if the box is set to 576 but your HD channels will suffer from being dowscaled then upscaled. Your full HD sat channels of 1080 by 1920 pixels should look better with the 4k set. Terrestrial HD of 1080 by 1440 will also look better than on the old non HD set's 720 by 1280 screen pixels. It's debatable whether sat SD of 576 by 720 or saorview terrestrial SD of 576 by 544 will look any better as your old set was already higher res than these sources. Your new set has 3840 horizontal pixels for the 544 saorview picture pixels, over 7 pixel per signal pixel so don't expect any improvement, but check if lowering the box resolution changes the quality of the image on the 4k set as you will be introducing more or less upscaling on the box vs.the 4k set. There may be little scaling artefacts that are different depending on box setting so you can experiment with these if SD seems disimproved but generally 1080i should be your box setting now.

deezell wrote: »
    Astra HD signals are 1080i 50hz, So set the box to this and the tv will upscale to it native resolution 2160. It will double the pixels and decode the interlace ( the "i') to the non interlaced screen image, p. Setting the box to 1080p puts interlace decoding task on the box video chip, so let the tv handle it. If you watch a lot of SD channels, the box will have to upscale these 576i signals to 1080i, with the tv further converting to it's screen res of 2160, SD might look best if the box is set to 576 but your HD channels will suffer from being dowscaled then upscaled. Your full HD sat channels of 1080 by 1920 pixels should look better with the 4k set. Terrestrial HD of 1080 by 1440 will also look better than on the old non HD set's 720 by 1280 screen pixels. It's debatable whether sat SD of 576 by 720 or saorview terrestrial SD of 576 by 544 will look any better as your old set was already higher res than these sources. Your new set has 3840 horizontal pixels for the 544 saorview picture pixels, over 7 pixel per signal pixel so don't expect any improvement, but check if lowering the box resolution changes the quality of the image on the 4k set as you will be introducing more or less upscaling on the box vs.the 4k set. There may be little scaling artefacts that are different depending on box setting so you can experiment with these if SD seems disimproved but generally 1080i should be your box setting now.

Cheers Deezel that's a superb amount of info as usual, first impressions are the HD channels on sat and terrestrial are a lot better and there is definitely plenty of upscaling happening. It's totally different looking to the old plasma and will take some getting used to. The sat SD channels have taken a nose dive though! Looks like the box and tv are having a fight over the resolution and the end result is terrible, I have managed to improve it a bit playing around with the vast (and silly) amount of picture settings on the tv but will try dropping the box down to 576 or 720 and see what happens. All that will have to wait though cause the tv is going back to LG today for investigation as there is a faint line running down the left hand side of the screen and when I brought it back to the shop they said they couldn't see it. I'll try post a pic

That's a problem with the backlight leaking past the panel. Backlight faults apparently cause a lot of returns, no one watches tv in a brightly lit shop.

That's a problem with the backlight leaking past the panel. Backlight faults apparently cause a lot of returns, no one watches tv in a brightly lit shop.

Yep that exactly what I said to the guy in the shop, just hope LG can see the fault when they examine it

power city took an lg back from family last year for that fault. No messing, straight exchange.

power city took an lg back from family last year for that fault. No messing, straight exchange.

It's power city aswell and to be fair the lads in the shop were grand but when they went to process the replacement head office got on the phone and told them if they couldn't see the fault themselves in the shop then they were to send it back to LG. I probably should have just kicked up instead of the usual mumbling and grumbling but eventually accepting what they said!

Backlight bleed is quite an issue. This is one of many articles on the issue, and there are some strange fix procedures around, based on massaging the screen!
    http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/black-uniformity-clouding-flashlighting

• Advertisement

Backlight bleed is quite an issue. This is one of many articles on the issue, and there are some strange fix procedures around, based on massaging the screen!
    http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/black-uniformity-clouding-flashlighting

Or loosening and tightening of the screws holding the frame on! Think I'd rather put me old plasma back on the wall than try any of those tips. Looking at my screen and I reckon it could be a vertical strip of leds that are faulty as it's backlit rather than light bleeding through from the edges?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Is the openvix project dead in the water for Aa2?

cork_south wrote: »

Don't think it was ever on, and with the Vix4 derivative available for AA2 there wouldn't be much demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Don't think it was ever on, and with the Vix4 derivative available for AA2 there wouldn't be much demand.

I am running an older version I got from http://www.vix4projects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?459-Amiko-Alien-2

But it looks like that site is no longer get getting updated for aa2

I am running an older version I got from http://www.vix4projects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?459-Amiko-Alien-2

But it looks like that site is no longer get getting updated for aa2

Yes, it looks like the aa2 is considered old technology. It's been around for a while and It's inevitable that developers will concentrate on newer boxes. Version 2.2 for the aa2 is relatively current, May2016, but I wouldn't hold my breath for v4. Good question I suppose is which images are currently actively being improved and updated. OpenAtv probably top of the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

I've just reinstalled Hyperion 4.5 on Alien2 Triple and have installed the RTE player (2017), because the one installed was green screening. The newer one (copied on by FTP) appears to work but at the stage when it should play, it present a status line on top of the screen showing program info and files size/type but does not play. Pressing the play button simply changed the '||' to '>' , but no play starts at all. Where should I go from here ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

open atv 5.3 is stable , 6 is most upto date

it has autobouqets maker to download from plugins that includes saorview

I just spotted a thread on the subject here on 'Foreign Sattelites'

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056847041&page=12

Seems to be an ongoing problem :(

Will try open atv 5.3 :)

Where to find the image ?
    These threads are getting too long ............................

• Advertisement

Anchises wrote: »
    Will try open atv 5.3 :)

Where to find the image ?
    These threads are getting too long ............................

It's two pages! The last alien2 enigma2 discussion thread was 465 pages when closed for card share discussion, and that was the successor to the long original also closed by the mods for questioning their authority. Anyway, Openatv for these boxes is here;
    http://images.mynonpublic.com/openatv/nightly/index.php?open=amikoalien

Advertisement