Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko/Sab/Edision triple Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭dogtoffee

Anyone ever have a HDMI fault with a sab my picture is very green I reflashed it still the same changed lead and port on tv still same

It's not green on scart

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭deezell

dogtoffee wrote: »
    Anyone ever have a HDMI fault with a sab my picture is very green I reflashed it still the same changed lead and port on tv still same

It's not green on scart
    Have you tried tv with a different HDMI source, in the unlikely event it's the telly.. It's possible the video chip in the sab is faulty. My ageing trusty Edision combi died on HDMI after a mains surge. Works on scart ( no hd) but no Onscreen display, so it's in the bin. They can run very hot if in a cabinet, this will increase chance of hardware failure. Not really economical to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Nowso wrote: »
    ext3 has been playing up badly on windows 10 and formating to it 4 me

so im back on ntfs

I haven’t a clue what any of that means! I get a few issues like freezing on playback of some recordings on my box and see there is option for changing to ex4 and was hoping this was some kind of newer/better version of ex3?

deezell wrote:
    Have you tried tv with a different HDMI source, in the unlikely event it's the telly.. It's possible the video chip in the sab is faulty. My ageing trusty Edision combi died on HDMI after a mains surge. Works on scart ( no hd) but no Onscreen display, so it's in the bin. They can run very hot if in a cabinet, this will increase chance of hardware failure. Not really economical to repair.

Chromecast is fine so must be box, it's working perfectly fine using SCART

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Anyone using the amiko a4?

Looking for something that can do a series record on terestial but also want to flick over to Netflix.

How is Netflix on it ? Buggy or stable

• Advertisement

dogtoffee wrote:

Have it working again I switched it off sprayed wd40 in the HDMI port let it sit for a while dryed it and it's working perfectly again.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

Newby here
    When I try to login to my Sab Triple tuner via web if, I am now being asked for a password. The Popup says,

"Please sign in
    [url]Http://192.168xxxxxxx[/url]
    Your connection to this site is not private
    Username
    Password
    Does anyone know how to get around this ?
    I never set a password and initially I could access the Sab through webif.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

daphil wrote: »
    Newby here
    When I try to login to my Sab Triple tuner via web if, I am now being asked for a password. The Popup says,

"Please sign in
    Username
    Password
    Thanks

The user/password depends on what image is installed. Usually it is something like
    USER = root
    PW = root
    PW could also be things like linuxsat or whatever the person who made the image wanted. Do a google for the PW for that image. It's usually easy to find the default one online

The user/password depends on what image is installed. Usually it is something like
    USER = root
    PW = root
    PW could also be things like linuxsat or whatever the person who made the image wanted. Do a google for the PW for that image. It's usually easy to find the default one online

Will try that. Despite some 30 odd years of computing am somewhat lost with the Sab box
    Thanks
    Dave

Newby here

"Please sign in
    Username
    Password
    Thanks
    Your box would not by itself turn webif authentication on unless you flashed a new image which had it configured to on.
    If you select menu/ plugins/ OpenWebIf, you can scroll to and set " Enable HTTP Authentication" to "NO" by clicking on the right arrow on the remote. Webif won't look for a password then. Screen grab from PKT Hyperion 4.5 image below.

438266.png

• Advertisement

deezell wrote: »
    Your box would not by itself turn webif authentication on unless you flashed a new image which had it configured to on.
    If you select menu/ plugins/ OpenWebIf, you can scroll to and set " Enable HTTP Authentication" to "NO" by clicking on the right arrow on the remote. Webif won't look for a password then. Screen grab from PKT Hyperion 4.5 image below.

438266.png

Thanks to Deezel and Gerry and can I ask one more stupid question?
    Using a web browser I can now call up Webif and with VLC, (Kodi would probably also work), I can stream recordings from the Sab box, to an Amiko A3 Combo box downstairs, (Android) and my laptop, (Win 10).
    Is it possible to install a ready to go web browser plug in and a vlc plug in to the Sab box, that would enable me to access the Android box from the Sab ?
    The Android box does nor show up on the network on the Sab.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

For anyone using vix4 and thinking about trying out OpenATV be aware that backups created in vix4 will not be detected by OpenATV during a restore settings attempt.

The workaround is to make a backup on OpenATV, check the formatting of the name of the OpenATV folder backup, then delete it.
    Then rename your vix4 folder backup to the same name as the OpenATVbackup made in the previous step.
    Now when you try to restore your vix4 settings in OpenATV OpenATV will see the vix4 backup and will restore the settings.

Thanks to Deezel and Gerry and can I ask one more stupid question?
    Using a web browser I can now call up Webif and with VLC, (Kodi would probably also work), I can stream recordings from the Sab box, to an Amiko A3 Combo box downstairs, (Android) and my laptop, (Win 10).
    Is it possible to install a ready to go web browser plug in and a vlc plug in to the Sab box, that would enable me to access the Android box from the Sab ?
    The Android box does nor show up on the network on the Sab.
    Thanks again.

Are you trying to stream stored media off the A3 or live programs from the A3 Tuner. For stored media, see if you have a DNLA server app on the A3, then run DNLA client on the SAB. The Media drive will show up in the folders of the Sab media player, and on other DNLA/uPnP devices, such as Smart TVs.
    For streaming a tuner channel from the A3 you would need a webtv app on the A3, or alternatively an M3U playlist of the A3's channel list. This can be played on IPTV plugins on the Sab, or converted to a bouquet to be added to the Sab channel lists. The only reason to do this would be if one box had subscription access to cable or satellite channels

Lads I’m spending a lot of time reflashing the box the last few weeks with various different images and none are very stable so im thinking the box is the problem, it’s 4 years old now and has served me well through all the card sharing days and now as a fta box for the missus. I’ve seen an amiko alien a2+ for sale and am wondering would this be a good replacement? I need enigma 2 and triple tuner

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭championc

how.gareth wrote:
    Lads I’m spending a lot of time reflashing the box the last few weeks with various different images and none are very stable so im thinking the box is the problem, it’s 4 years old now and has served me well through all the card sharing days and now as a fta box for the missus. I’ve seen an amiko alien a2+ for sale and am wondering would this be a good replacement? I need enigma 2 and triple tuner

If you only want it as an FTA box, then why not spin it back up on Spark ?

However, OpenATV 6.1 should be perfect in that you have almost everything bundled and you'll realistically only need to download Autobouquets and CrossEPG.

If you've been downloading other peoples images, just get 6.1 directly from opena.tv and then download autobouquets, crossepg and maybe cacheflush

championc wrote: »
    If you only want it as an FTA box, then why not spin it back up on Spark ?

However, OpenATV 6.1 should be perfect in that you have almost everything bundled and you'll realistically only need to download Autobouquets and CrossEPG.

If you've been downloading other peoples images, just get 6.1 directly from opena.tv and then download autobouquets, crossepg and maybe cacheflush
    I’ve flashed backups and a few different nightly builds of 6.1 directly off their site and if I turn the box off it gets stuck on a boot loop and refuses to come back on, I’m presuming that means the box is faulty? I need to keep it on enigma as that’s what the wife likes and knows

how.gareth wrote: »
    I’ve flashed backups and a few different nightly builds of 6.1 directly off their site and if I turn the box off it gets stuck on a boot loop and refuses to come back on, I’m presuming that means the box is faulty? I need to keep it on enigma as that’s what the wife likes and knows

Are you reflashing from spark or direct from USB. After you've reflashed Enigma2, hsve you tried to set the boot back to Spark (hold ok button, power on, display reads FORC, ch up to select Spark. If it boots right through then Spark is ok, if not you may need the rescue image. After spark boots power off. Repeat this but select CH down button, it should load your enigma2 image. If this succeeds it should subsequently load e2 from power up. After you load a fresh image you need to make sure that all paths for epg, timeshift etc are to the hdd, and that this is actually mounted. I've had past struggles where hdd was apparently assigned to flash, box not using the disk at all and filling up flash and freezing, crashing, not rebooting etc. I avoid reflashinh or anything that threatens the tenuous hard disk connection. I've stuck with 4.5 for years, it just works, but I'm sure Openatv is fine once you get rid of the gremlins.

deezell wrote: »
    Are you reflashing from spark or direct from USB. After you've reflashed Enigma2, hsve you tried to set the boot back to Spark (hold ok button, power on, display reads FORC, ch up to select Spark. If it boots right through then Spark is ok, if not you may need the rescue image. After spark boots power off. Repeat this but select CH down button, it should load your enigma2 image. If this succeeds it should subsequently load e2 from power up. After you load a fresh image you need to make sure that all paths for epg, timeshift etc are to the hdd, and that this is actually mounted. I've had past struggles where hdd was apparently assigned to flash, box not using the disk at all and filling up flash and freezing, crashing, not rebooting etc. I avoid reflashinh or anything that threatens the tenuous hard disk connection. I've stuck with 4.5 for years, it just works, but I'm sure Openatv is fine once you get rid of the gremlins.

I’m reflashing through spark and spark boots up and runs fine anytime I try it. Hard drive is mounted and the new image will install fine but if the box crashes or I switch it off at the back it gets stuck attempting to boot and gets to 100 then goes back to 50 and starts trying to load again. I flashed a fresh image of 5.5 off the pkt site last night and everything seems grand except for the problem I had before with the open tv providers section on epg being empty. Cooltvguide also needs to be updated but I’m sure that’s an easy fix. Have you a backup of your 4.5 up anywhere or would you mind popping a copy up in the firmware thread please?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

cross epg works fine on open atv using that rather than cooltvguide may stop a lot of your issues

No need for crossEPG on openATV as it has it's own FreeSat downloader built in. You only need crossEPG for the few FTA non-FreeSat channels (+1s etc)

• Advertisement

I use cooltvguide for the nice layout and being able to change the sizes and amounts of rows of channels displayed in the cool tiny guide. I’m not sure if the default TV guide is as user friendly although I’m not sure if I’ve ever given it a proper look. If I use the inbuilt epg how do I get it to populate like with the “force epg” option on cross epg?
    EDIT; just to be clear I was having issues with cooltvguide and cross epg when I reflashed with Hyperion 5.5. I’m not sure what’s causing open atv to keep getting stuck on a boot loop but I can reflash it again without anything extra installed and see how it goes

Here's the basic openATV images. Be sure you select the correct box from the left-hand menu first.

I vaguely remember something about some hyperion version not booting first time with a HDD connected. Once running you could mount the HDD and it would behave normally from then on.
    Try booting without any extra usb devices connected such as keyboards, wifi or tuners. Try without a HDD connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭championc

how.gareth wrote:
    I use cooltvguide for the nice layout and being able to change the sizes and amounts of rows of channels displayed in the cool tiny guide. I’m not sure if the default TV guide is as user friendly although I’m not sure if I’ve ever given it a proper look. If I use the inbuilt epg how do I get it to populate like with the “force epg†option on cross epg? EDIT; just to be clear I was having issues with cooltvguide and cross epg when I reflashed with Hyperion 5.5. I’m not sure what’s causing open atv to keep getting stuck on a boot loop but I can reflash it again without anything extra installed and see how it goes

The EPG in OpenATV is very customisable. I personally set it to show 12 rows. I also use the default Matrix skin.

The best lesson for everyone is to stop trying to make the box look like a Sky box. Forget about fancy 3rd party skins and stick to the default one.

The best lesson for everyone is to stop trying to make the box look like a Sky box. .....

+1 on that. The Sky like skins seem to cause a lot of hassle.
    When switching between different images it is also a good idea to delete the old crossepg folder and 'epg.dat' from the HDD.

As an aside, anyone thinking of trying openATV 6.2 should hold off for now, it is still buggy.

I’m reflashing through spark and spark boots up and runs fine anytime I try it. Hard drive is mounted and the new image will install fine but if the box crashes or I switch it off at the back it gets stuck attempting to boot and gets to 100 then goes back to 50 and starts trying to load again. I flashed a fresh image of 5.5 off the pkt site last night and everything seems grand except for the problem I had before with the open tv providers section on epg being empty. Cooltvguide also needs to be updated but I’m sure that’s an easy fix. Have you a backup of your 4.5 up anywhere or would you mind popping a copy up in the firmware thread please?
    I think this is my backup on drive. I have another in a drawer at home on a usb somewhere , it's a bit dated tbh. I must go into Spark and make a proper flash backup.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1c-lgp9WYY4P5M59j7baKpVw0PF2uHIud

Cheers lads I’ll give it another lash when I’m home later. Might also have a little tinker with the spark side of things as I’ve never used it at all except for flashing and maybe it would be ideal for the missus as she just wants to be able to watch fta and record her programs without having to shout abuse at me when the box hangs or crashes!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

6.2 isnt out for the alien and is bound to be buggy -

just set it up with as little messing about you can

Cheers lads I’ll give it another lash when I’m home later. Might also have a little tinker with the spark side of things as I’ve never used it at all except for flashing and maybe it would be ideal for the missus as she just wants to be able to watch fta and record her programs without having to shout abuse at me when the box hangs or crashes!

Just beware that Spark freezes if you select RTE One+1 before it comes on air at 7.00. Same I think for other dual channels on Astra. I don't think this bug was ever fixed. Enough to drive me to Enigma all those years ago.

Nowso wrote: »
    6.2 isnt out for the alien and is bound to be buggy -

just set it up with as little messing about you can
    Tried it on a few different boxes. Each had issues but it IS early days. 6.1 does all I want anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭Zardoz

The EPG in OpenATV is very customisable. I personally set it to show 12 rows. I also use the default Matrix skin.

Metrix HD skin is very demanding ,not sure how you are running that on an Alien ,it doesnt have anywhere near enough processing power.

I tried Openatv 6.1 recently ,it has come on a good bit since I last tried it but it still has the same issue with mounting drives.
    I set it up fine and it runs initially but after powering off it continuously fails to boot on me ,getting stuck at 49% and 96% on the boot cycle.
    Very annoying .

Advertisement