Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko/Sab/Edision triple Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

JOSman wrote: »
    Hi Howso,

That's uninstalled. Hope it works as the system reboots every so often to 19.2 and leaves me with no Favourites or EPG.

Thanks for your help.

J

its annoying deleting the tv and radio from 19 east . i only did it once and deleted that Plugin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭championc

Hi all,

I need a small bit of Linux help.

I'm trying to mount my NAS using CRON.

I can do the following from the command line after telnetting to the box
    mount -t cifs //192.168.1.6/Recordings/movie /media/hdd/movie -o password=mypassword

but if I add this to a CRON I get an invalid argument error

mount: mounting //192.168.1.6/Recordings/movie on /media/hdd/movie failed: Invalid argument

Anyone any ideas please ? I've tried mounting via the Mount Manager in OpenATV and it won't mount the NAS drive. I'd much prefer to do it via a CRON anyway, but I'm lost as to why it won't mount.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

championc wrote: »
    Hi all,

I need a small bit of Linux help.

I'm trying to mount my NAS using CRON.

I can do the following from the command line after telnetting to the box
    mount -t cifs //192.168.1.6/Recordings/movie /media/hdd/movie -o password=mypassword

but if I add this to a CRON I get an invalid argument error

mount: mounting //192.168.1.6/Recordings/movie on /media/hdd/movie failed: Invalid argument

Anyone any ideas please ? I've tried mounting via the Mount Manager in OpenATV and it won't mount the NAS drive. I'd much prefer to do it via a CRON anyway, but I'm lost as to why it won't mount.

On typical Linux systems mount errors are logged in /var/log/dmesg or /var/log/messages. Anything in there?

Also, instead of "mount -t cifs" you could try "mount.cifs"?

EXAMPLE:
    ViX4E2PROJECT 4.1 amikoalien

amikoalien login: root
    root@amikoalien:~# mount.cifs

Usage: mount.cifs <remotetarget> <dir> -o <options>

Mount the remote target, specified as a UNC name, to a local directory.

Options:
    user=<arg>
    pass=<arg>
    dom=<arg>

Less commonly used options:
    credentials=<filename>,guest,perm,noperm,setuids,nosetuids,rw,ro,
    sep=<char>,iocharset=<codepage>,suid,nosuid,exec,noexec,serverino,
    mapchars,nomapchars,nolock,servernetbiosname=<SRV_RFC1001NAME>
    directio,nounix,cifsacl,sec=<authentication mechanism>,sign,fsc

Options not needed for servers supporting CIFS Unix extensions
    (e.g. unneeded for mounts to most Samba versions):
    uid=<uid>,gid=<gid>,dir_mode=<mode>,file_mode=<mode>,sfu

Rarely used options:
    port=<tcpport>,rsize=<size>,wsize=<size>,unc=<unc_name>,ip=<ip_address>,
    dev,nodev,nouser_xattr,netbiosname=<OUR_RFC1001NAME>,hard,soft,intr,
    nointr,ignorecase,noposixpaths,noacl,prefixpath=<path>,nobrl

Options are described in more detail in the manual page
    man 8 mount.cifs

To display the version number of the mount helper:
    mount.cifs -V
    root@amikoalien:~#

Got it working with mount.cifs thanks. Unfortunately it won't work with @reboot so I have it running every 5 mins on a cron. I'll just need to add it into a script and do an if not exists then mount.cifs ......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭deezell

Got it working with mount.cifs thanks. Unfortunately it won't work with @reboot so I have it running every 5 mins on a cron. I'll just need to add it into a script and do an if not exists then mount.cifs ......

Why is it necessary to mount every 5 minutes ?

• Advertisement

deezell wrote: »
    Why is it necessary to mount every 5 minutes ?

It's not but I couldn't get it to work on reboot and so I wanted it to work as soon as possible after the boot was completed. So it worked after 5 mins but I suppose was somewhat ignored every subsequent 5 mins. In reality, and if not mounted the mount script would be the best option, but it would still need to run every x mins to get the first one to work ..... unless someone knows of another way ?

Sorted with a script - running every 5 mins. Will do for now anyway :)

CRONTAB
    */5 * * * * /usr/scripts/nas_mount.sh &>> /home/root/logs/nas_mount.log

NAS_MOUNT.SH
    #!/bin/bash
    if mountpoint -q /media/hdd/movie
    then
    echo "$(date) Mounted"
    else
    echo "$(date) NOT Mounted"
    /sbin/mount.cifs //192.168.1.6/Recordings/movie /media/hdd/movie -o pass=mypassword
    fi

Sorted with a script - running every 5 mins. Will do for now anyway :)

CRONTAB
    */5 * * * * /usr/scripts/nas_mount.sh &>> /home/root/logs/nas_mount.log

NAS_MOUNT.SH
    #!/bin/bash
    if mountpoint -q /media/hdd/movie
    then
    echo "$(date) Mounted"
    else
    echo "$(date) NOT Mounted"
    /sbin/mount.cifs //192.168.1.6/Recordings/movie /media/hdd/movie -o pass=mypassword
    fi

Here's a few links to similar problems and solutions. Solutions entail either add the script to the boot up as the last task I think, or adding it into a plugin which is run at start up. The plugin one sounds good, if you can bodge in python
    https://dreambox.de/board/index.php?thread/18573-autostart-script-oe2-0/
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/archive/index.php/t-3600.html
    This advice here;
    "how about putting your script file in /etc/init.d, chmod it to 755. Then, in telnet, run the following command:

ln -s /etc/init.d/myscriptfile.sh /etc/rc3.d/S99myscript

Then, restart. Should (I think) make it run on startup..."

It's not but I couldn't get it to work on reboot and so I wanted it to work as soon as possible after the boot was completed. So it worked after 5 mins but I suppose was somewhat ignored every subsequent 5 mins. In reality, and if not mounted the mount script would be the best option, but it would still need to run every x mins to get the first one to work ..... unless someone knows of another way ?

Like you, from Hyperion 4.5 using Mount centre I've not been able to access my router attached USB drive configured as a NAS . I've no trouble seeing other shares on Pcs and mounting them, and I can pick up the NAS easily enough on mobile devices. On the box I use "Network scan" in Mount Center on Blue panel, this reports any shared drives using cifs. The routers shows as routerNas, but won't open to display directory structure. Other devices do this no problem, and with these I can mount the chosen directory as a folder on the box. My box shares via Samba also appear on other devices.
    I recently got a Smart tv, in a different room to the box and it's telly, and noticed my routerNas appeared on its network sources, but was labelled routerMediaserver. My box Samba share didn't show on the smart tv. This got me thinking (always dangerous), and I inspected the router setup. It turned out that the Usb drive ( my NAS) attached to the router could be shared two ways, as a NAS using either ftp or smb, but also as a Media server using uPnP. Turn off the latter and the source disappears, as the smart TV only does uPnP. I went back to the box, and there in MountCenter was DNLA client and server. Save default config on the server then turn it on, box hdd contents appear on the smart telly, so new set can play box recordings. Turn on the DNLA client, and bingo, the box can now see the contents of the NAS, which is being served up by the routers media server and is there as a folder in the boxe's media player.
    If your NAS is a usb hard disk served by the router this is a simple solution to connect the box to media stored there. If you NAS is an actual standalone network device, its own configuration should support uPnP/ DNLA, as well as cifs or nfs. It's probably better too to pull movies via this protocol rather than using a file server protocol. As an example, recordings on my box are stored as
    .ts files, and the smart tv can't play these if I just plug in the box hdd to the smart tv. Via DNLA however, they appear on the smart TV as .mpg, and play perfectly. Both my Tv's (one via the alien2 box) can now see content on the router NAS, as well as content on the box HDD, while PC sourced media can be saved to the NAS also. No more plugging in and out discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

After reading your post I went about investigating it on my end but hit a stumbling block straight away (as usual!) how do i get samba running on open atv? It’s saying it’s stopped and when I try start it nothing happens, auto start is enabled and I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it but still no joy

• Advertisement

how.gareth wrote: »
    After reading your post I went about investigating it on my end but hit a stumbling block straight away (as usual!) how do i get samba running on open atv? It’s saying it’s stopped and when I try start it nothing happens, auto start is enabled and I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it but still no joy

You must click save button to save the default settings config file first. Then you can run the server.

You must click save button to save the default settings config file first. Then you can run the server.

I can only find the menu for samba in the network section and there is no option for the settings, samba is not in the plugin menu like it was in Hyperion

samba setup in open atv is in setup/system/network

u install from there

It's been do long since I've tinkered with Openatv. I'll have access to an edision on OATV next week, see what I can find. Samba is for sharing the box to other devices. There has to be a config file to define which storage is shared. Are there no tools or settings in OATV to this end. For seeing the NAS on the box I suceeded with DNLA client, for sharing the box as a Media server DNLA server done the job. I don't know if theres a DNLA plugin/utility on OATV.

there minidnla in same menu n thers

Nowso wrote: »
    samba setup in open atv is in setup/system/network

u install from there

No joy, I follow those steps and when I enter network I then have an option for “cifs/samba setup”, when I enter that I have a screen telling me - “autostart: enabled”. “Current status: stopped” when I press green to start I get the spinner for a few seconds then nothing

No joy, I follow those steps and when I enter network I then have an option for “cifs/samba setup”, when I enter that I have a screen telling me - “autostart: enabled”. “Current status: stopped” when I press green to start I get the spinner for a few seconds then nothing

it was a bit funny with me aswell . at one stage i got autostart on and it on lol

Nowso wrote: »
    it was a bit funny with me aswell . at one stage i got autostart on and it on lol

I’ll keep trying so!

When you select cifs/samba server and you are presented with the interface with the 4 colour choices ( remove stop autostart etc), you should first press " OK" to enter the config edit mode. From here you can change things like name, port etc. Just press RED on this submenu to save and the default config file will be generated. It should run then. You can run the minidnla media server the same way, select minidnla, ok, and config and run. Here's a German tutorial. https://youtu.be/lci7z7FCfW0
    These services allow you to share your box files on another device, the dnla is a media server and will allow other devices to play from your box. A smart tv with a uPnP or a DNLA media player will see your media files over the local net.
    To use your box as a DNLA player, to see media files served up by your router storage or a NAS, there should be a utility/plugin named DNLA Browser/ Client in Openatv. You might have to add it on. If your router or NAS can serve media files using uPnP, then these will appears under a folder named upnp . You should be able to use the media player to see them once a DNLA client is running. Here's how the folder shows in pkt4.5,

437555.jpg

This shows router NAS (AVM Fritz Mediaplayer) and the Box DNLA (gm7162) share on a smart tv

437556.jpg

Cheers I’ll go through it again when I’m home later and see if I can get it going. Would be class to be able to access my box recordings from the sitting room on a smart tv upstairs without having all sorts of cables and boxes connected

• Advertisement

Any "Server" component will allow your box to share something while a "Client" will allow your box to connect to something else.

Just be aware that Amiko boxes aren't gifted with memory or processing power and therefore, running Server plugins will take some form of toll on the box.

Still no luck, when I get to the samba screen with the 4 couloured options I press “ok” and it just goes back to the previous main network menu without offering me the option to configure samba

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

I was on Hyperion 5.4 on my Amiko Alien 2 triple.
    It was slowing down badly on the EPG and other bits, so I tried the Open ATV 6.1 image that Gerry Wicklow posted, then updated that base image through the Open ATV 6.1 system menu which downloaded the latest nightly build.

Anyways, Open ATV 6.1 flies along, so much more responsive than Hyperion 5.4.
    The EPG is very responsive.
    Previously when I connected to the box via DreamDroid on my android phone you would see the spinning cursor/spinner as it downloaded the EPG to the phone. You don't see that on OpenATV 6.1.

I was resistant to leave Hyperion, but happy to move now.

Still no luck, when I get to the samba screen with the 4 couloured options I press “ok” and it just goes back to the previous main network menu without offering me the option to configure samba
    I was using that YouTube DNLA setup as a guide as I don't have OpenAtv. On the video the screen display shows the initial menu, 4 colour choices, then progresses to DNLA config. The frame shows three choices to the left, Menu, OK and Exit. The next video clip showed remote ok button being pressed which I assumed brought up the config submenu. Perhaps it's the Menu button needs to be pressed from within this screen. Worth a try. Do you get this screen for DNLA or similar for Samba?

437622.png

Also, Smart tv may only be able to see DNLA or uPnP served media, that's all mine can. It can't see file shares by samba nfs/cifs. On my router I switched on mediaserver and the router USB attached storage immediately appeared on the smart tv source menu.

..... Would be class to be able to access my box recordings from the sitting room on a smart tv upstairs without having all sorts of cables and boxes connected
    Works really well on Hyperion 4.5. DNLA server in blue panel, I just saved the displayed default settings, which allowed me to run the server, and it appeared on my smart set.

I was using that YouTube DNLA setup as a guide as I don't have OpenAtv. On the video the screen display shows the initial menu, 4 colour choices, then progresses to DNLA config. The frame shows three choices to the left, Menu, OK and Exit. The next video clip showed remote ok button being pressed which I assumed brought up the config submenu. Perhaps it's the Menu button needs to be pressed from within this screen. Worth a try. Do you get this screen for DNLA or similar for Samba?

437622.png

Yep I can get that screen up for the dnla. Absolutely no joy on the samba tho! I’ll try setting up the dnla tomorrow, maybe your right and samba will be no good for accessing through the smart tv anyway.

Works really well on Hyperion 4.5. DNLA server in blue panel, I just saved the displayed default settings, which allowed me to run the server, and it appeared on my smart set.

I’ll try saving the default settings on the dnla and running it and see what happens when i try find it on the tv. I’ll probably burn the house down knowing my luck

Another question folks, is there any benefits or downsides to converting ex3 to ex4?

• Advertisement

Another question folks, is there any benefits or downsides to converting ex3 to ex4?

ext3 has been playing up badly on windows 10 and formating to it 4 me

so im back on ntfs

Advertisement