Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko/Sab/Edision triple Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

ive not had an issue with the over clocking
    if it slows try over clocking it a little bit

open atv the updates for the 28th feb dont load them - bootloop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Nowso wrote: »
    open atv the updates for the 28th feb dont load them - bootloop

is that 6.1 or 6.2?

I find 6.2 is still a bit buggy. Tried it again last w/end.

6.1 theres no 6.2 for alien 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

is there a good freesat image for alien 2 now, ive moved house and back using satellite for my main tv so dug out old alien 2 its running pkteam i think image but was setup for the non freesat days if you get me, now just want a nice simplified image to do freesat only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭deezell

deaglan169 wrote: »
    is there a good freesat image for alien 2 now, ive moved house and back using satellite for my main tv so dug out old alien 2 its running pkteam i think image but was setup for the non freesat days if you get me, now just want a nice simplified image to do freesat only

Just open Autoboquets plugin if it was on your image and tick the FTA box before running it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

ah perfect forgot about that will give that a go now

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭raddo

Hey all, don't know if this deserves a new thread or not, said I try here first.
    I have an Edision OS Mini Combo running OpenVix for over a year, and have been very happy with it.
    Slight problem with pixelation at the moment with the dvb-t tuner.
    I have the aerial feed split in two, one to the TV and one to the Edision.
    On Saturday I noticed very bad pixelation on some channels (RTE 1 and TV3) on the same mux when viewing through the Edision. Never had this issue previously.
    The same channels are fine on the TV, no pixelation at all.
    Last night I removed the splitter and connected directly to the Edision, the pixelation improved but not perfect (break up every 2/3 mins rather than constant)
    Has anybody any advice? Is the Edision Tuner not as forgiving as the TV?

are the tv and edison tuned in to the same channels / area saorview some saorview has been affected with the weather

Are you using an external aerial. It might have been shifted by the storm and snow. You can get a read of signal level using WebIf, Select current channel, 70+ db would be about normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭raddo

are the tv and edison tuned in to the same channels / area saorview some saorview has been affected with the weather

Yes, they both are tuned in to the same channels
    deezell wrote: »
    Are you using an external aerial. It might have been shifted by the storm and snow. You can get a read of signal level using WebIf, Select current channel, 70+ db would be about normal.

Yes, using an external aerial.
    I'll try the WebIf later on but surely the TV would also be affected?

raddo wrote: »
    Yes, they both are tuned in to the same channels

Yes, using an external aerial.
    I'll try the WebIf later on but surely the TV would also be affected?

Digital signals are complex beasts. a twisted aerial will give rise to multipath reception and reflections, which will lead to an increase in the BER, bit error ratio. How well the demodulator in the tuner deals with this is a matter of the power of the processor, something as simple as the last few metres of cable squashed or kinked, or the terminal plugs poorly fitted, can push the error correction to the digital edge.
    Use google maps to calculate a line of sight for your aerial to the mast, if you know which one you are using. You can use this to pick out a landmark in your path, then scurry up a ladder and tweak the aerial. It's possible some water got into the terminal box also, as it was probably plastered in snow. If you get the dreamdroid app on your phone, ( a type of webif), it has a great little signal meter, which you can watch on your phone while rotating the aerial (or astra dish even)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hi folks,

i need to flash an amiko mini combo via rs232, would this cable do the job for me, or can you recommend a better type, and maybe a better retailer, it does seem a little expensive for a bit of copper?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/TTL-232R-5V-AJ-Module-cable-integrated-lead-Jack-3-5mm-USB-A-UI-O5-V-FTDI/192139354114?hash=item2cbc65e002:g:jc4AAOSwmgJY1eJh

thank you

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    hi folks,

i need to flash an amiko mini combo via rs232, would this cable do the job for me, or can you recommend a better type, and maybe a better retailer, it does seem a little expensive for a bit of copper?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/TTL-232R-5V-AJ-Module-cable-integrated-lead-Jack-3-5mm-USB-A-UI-O5-V-FTDI/192139354114?hash=item2cbc65e002:g:jc4AAOSwmgJY1eJh

thank you

It's expensive because it's also a USB to rs232 FTDI convertor, coupled to a 3.5 minijack. If your pc has a standard DB9 9 pin serial port connector, the DB9 to minijack cable is just a bit of copper cable and 2 different plugs, here's one for £3.50
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Female-3-5mm-Stereo-Serial-Converter/dp/B019GV3VEA
    If your PC is a laptop with only USB ports you can get a USB to DB9 serial port adapter for about a tenner, here's one as a cable
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B06X92SZ9S/ref=mp_s_a_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1520455857&sr=8-27&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=usb+to+serial+port+ADAPTOR
    These can be got as a solid adaptor to plug into the laptop usb, giving a male DB9 socket. As little as €2 from china
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B06XX6JLRC/ref=mp_s_a_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1520455857&sr=8-23&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=usb+to+serial+port+ADAPTOR&dpPl=1&dpID=41FTAV9m0ZL&ref=plSrch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I've had an OS3+ for a little over 3 years and it looks like it's toast. I've tried disconnecting the HDD in case that had failed but no luck, it won't boot or reflash. While at the start I was keeping up with software updates and trying different images, it's been running the same image for the last 18 months and doing just fine.

I think it may be time for an upgrade, what's new in the world of combi-boxes? Ideally I'd like a performance upgrade, not that the OS3+ was ever slugish. I'd like minimum interventions, I don't care if that's autoupdates or just something with very stable software. Do 4k boxes exist, not sure there's any 4k FTA broadcast.

Edit... so in a final roll of the dice before giving up on the OS3+, I swapped out the power cable and hey presto it's back, it looks like the old one on the way out. I'm now mid way through a FW update so there's life in the old beast yet :)

alias no.9 wrote: »
    I've had an OS3+ for a little over 3 years and it looks like it's toast. I've tried disconnecting the HDD in case that had failed but no luck, it won't boot or reflash. While at the start I was keeping up with software updates and trying different images, it's been running the same image for the last 18 months and doing just fine.

I think it may be time for an upgrade, what's new in the world of combi-boxes? Ideally I'd like a performance upgrade, not that the OS3+ was ever slugish. I'd like minimum interventions, I don't care if that's autoupdates or just something with very stable software. Do 4k boxes exist, not sure there's any 4k FTA broadcast.

Edit... so in a final roll of the dice before giving up on the OS3+, I swapped out the power cable and hey presto it's back, it looks like the old one on the way out. I'm now mid way through a FW update so there's life in the old beast yet :)

The simplest faults are most often the problem. Of course by now you were probably looking forward to justifying the purchase of a new box. the upgrade to the OS3+ was the OS Mega, very similar but with HEVC (4k) decoding, but playback resolution still only in HD. With so many smart tvs coming complete with a sat tuner and 4K playback (if you can find a sat source), The only advantage of of the OS Mega in this regard would be if you had 4K material on a local disk. The Mega triple tuner is interesting, as the Terrestrial/Cable tuner can be configure as a Satellite tuner, giving you three Sat tuners and multiple record options while watching a third satellite channel.

For long serving users of the Amiko alien2/Sab triple, I note that there is next generation of the Sab, labelled the Sab Alpha (uses Alpha processors?). Processor is about 3 times faster, memory a bit better, It has a direct Sata hard disk connection and optical Audio out. Any users out there? About €80 more that the older triple, mostly positive reviews on the FreeTV site

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭championc

For anyone on a tight budget, FreeTV has OS 2 and 3 Plus models in their clearance section last week, both under 100

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Hi folks,I have 2 issues I was hoping someone has seen before on OpenATV.

1. When switching from Saorview to Sat HD channels the sound drops massively.
    I remember a volume tweak being mentioned. What's the name and recommend ed settings?

2. Channel4 HD EPG is gone. Anyone have an updated frequency?

Thx

cork_south wrote: »
    Hi folks,I have 2 issues I was hoping someone has seen before on OpenATV.

1. When switching from Saorview to Sat HD channels the sound drops massively.
    I remember a volume tweak being mentioned. What's the name and recommend ed settings?

2. Channel4 HD EPG is gone. Anyone have an updated frequency?

Thx

1. Select audio settings button, and change audio source from aac to mpg. You can set this as default in the menu audio settings. Don't have Openatv to hand, so I can't give the exact menu sequence, can't even remember it for Hyperion, but it's well documented somewhere in these posts or the previous thread

2. Channel 4 HD is still on the same Astra frequency. Channel 4 took it's HD channel reference off the Freesat epg data system, after a row with Freesat over something. If your epg software is set up to present Freesat style channels lists and sections, this is probably the reason your box won't display the data. The data is there, you may need to manually rescan ch4 HD (11127 V 22000) and move it into a seperate bouquet to see if the Openatv inbuilt epg will assign it's data to it. The data is still there for all the CH4 SD TPs, it's just how your box builds the channel list to mirror the Freesat epg. (if you have a tv with satellite connection and licensed Freesat epg tuner, the actual channel disappears, not just the epg!). It's working away on my trusty Hyperion 4.5 image, with crossepg plugin. Crossepg is not used in OpenAtv for epg, but there may be some epg menu item which needs to be ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

1. Select audio settings button, and change audio source from aac to mpg. You can set this as default in the menu audio settings. Don't have Openatv to hand, so I can't give the exact menu sequence, can't even remember it for Hyperion, but it's well documented somewhere in these posts or the previous thread

2. Channel 4 HD is still on the same Astra frequency. Channel 4 took it's HD channel reference off the Freesat epg data system, after a row with Freesat over something. If your epg software is set up to present Freesat style channels lists and sections, this is probably the reason your box won't display the data. The data is there, you may need to manually rescan ch4 HD (11127 V 22000) and move it into a seperate bouquet to see if the Openatv inbuilt epg will assign it's data to it. The data is still there for all the CH4 SD TPs, it's just how your box builds the channel list to mirror the Freesat epg. (if you have a tv with satellite connection and licensed Freesat epg tuner, the actual channel disappears, not just the epg!). It's working away on my trusty Hyperion 4.5 image, with crossepg plugin. Crossepg is not used in OpenAtv for epg, but there may be some epg menu item which needs to be ticked.

Thx Deezel, for the Audio issue if I press the yellow button it brings up the audio menu with 2 options:
    1 MPEG NAR
    2 AC3 English

Option 2 was selected and when I selected option 1 it fixed the low volume issue but now Audio description is turned on.
    Is it possible to use option 1 (MPEG) without Audio description?

• Advertisement

Thx Deezel, for the Audio issue if I press the yellow button it brings up the audio menu with 2 options:
    1 MPEG NAR
    2 AC3 English

Option 2 was selected and when I selected option 1 it fixed the low volume issue but now Audio description is turned on.
    It should be, i used to have that problem years ago, can't recall what I set but I think it was in some odd place in the menus. I'll have to search my posts from some time ago, and even then it was Hyperion, might differ from Openatv. I'll have a look back.

1 MPEG NAR
    2 AC3 English

If there are only 2 choices of language or audio track and one has narrative, the you probably have to select ac3. On Hyperion 4.5 there is an automatic volume adjustment menu item in the System menu, which allows you to balance the volume between the two, by reducing mpg volume severely and leaving ac3 high. There were also settings in auto language selection to make sure the audio didn't return to Nar track on reboot. The equivalent settings should be there in OpenAtv.

To avoid audio description on openATV go to

MENU>SETUP>AUDIO>AUTO LANGUAGE SELECTION

set language to english
    prefer AC3 to yes

for levels check
    MENU>SETUP>AUDIO>BASIC SETTINGS
    there should be an option for auto leveling. Set it to suit your connection type E.G. HDMI
    Many TVs also have an audio auto leveling option

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

For long serving users of the Amiko alien2/Sab triple, I note that there is next generation of the Sab, labelled the Sab Alpha (uses Alpha processors?). Processor is about 3 times faster, memory a bit better, It has a direct Sata hard disk connection and optical Audio out. Any users out there? About €80 more that the older triple, mostly positive reviews on the FreeTV site

Im thinking about an Alpha to replace my sluggish Amiko Alien 2...would be interested in any feedback or comments. Theres not a lot on the Internet about it.

Griffinx wrote: »
    Im thinking about an Alpha to replace my sluggish Amiko Alien 2...would be interested in any feedback or comments. Theres not a lot on the Internet about it.

dont see it doing a lot more than the amiko to warrent buying it - inbuilt storage is limited and maybe shop added

The Tiviar seems to be a far better box for the money

dont see it doing a lot more than the amiko to warrent buying it - inbuilt storage is limited and maybe shop added

Looks like its a much faster box..would it allow IPTV to run with an Enigma plugin?

The Tiviar seems to be a far better box for the money

When I see something with a SCART plug, it sort of puts me off

Yes it has iptv plugins that work very well.
    Having a SCART plug is just more user options. A benefit not a drawback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

On Hyperian 4.5. having problems with Crossepg in the last few days. Not updating, looks like its trying to at the allocated time. When I take it out of stand-by, epg extremely slow, end up rebooting box to get epg working properly. I reloaded image but same thing happening. Removed crossepg & re-installed. Just gets stuck on starting downloader when I start it. Any ideas?

Advertisement