Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2017 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Kaprielian is recovering from Tommy John and most likely won't be ready until 2019. I'm not saying that I expect him not to return, but you do worry when young pitchers go for TJ. Isn't the return rate something along the 80% mark? I'd consider that one of the bigger injury worries for pitchers.
    Then Fowler was incredibly unlucky by rupturing the tendons in his knee by running into a wall on his debut, ending his season.

Fowler should be a Gold Glove cnter fielders and for me Kaprielian looks like an ace. Obviously TJ surgery is a big deal but given how much the surgery have come on it's almost common place among top flame throwers at this stage.

If the Yankees win it could be viewed as a good trade but these three pieces could be cornerstones for the A's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Fowler should be a Gold Glove cnter fielders and for me Kaprielian looks like an ace. Obviously TJ surgery is a big deal but given how much the surgery have come on it's almost common place among top flame throwers at this stage.

If the Yankees win it could be viewed as a good trade but these three pieces could be cornerstones for the A's.

Its a good trade for both tbf. Yankee's needed a starting pitcher badly and got the best on the market, and Oakland get more prospects to rebuild.

In saying that, I can't see the Yankee's winning it all this year, but with the moves they'll make in the offseason next year their gonna be scary.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Its a good trade for both tbf. Yankee's needed a starting pitcher badly and got the best on the market, and Oakland get more prospects to rebuild.

In saying that, I can't see the Yankee's winning it all this year, but with the moves they'll make in the offseason next year their gonna be scary.

It will be interesting to see how it works out. Red Sox and Yankee's look to be gone fairly all in on this year. Neither look capable of beating the Astros even with the additions.

So the Dodgers continue to win. 9 in a row at the moment.
    My only concern at the moment, is that they're generally just doing enough to win.
    Swept the Giants over the weekend, and could have potentially been swept themselves. I think they won each game by 1 run
    Now beating the Braves by 1. Would rather see them winning more comfortably. In the play-offs, those 1-run wins have a higher chance of been turned into losses

• Registered Users Posts: 13,346 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Kimbrel has been ridiculous all season, quality closer.
    He's good alright. He might put the odd man or two on base but he usually recovers and finishes it off.

Sure where's the fun if you don't get a little bit stressed out...???

Nice jinx lads, blew his save last night giving up 2 runs in the 9th

Still got the win though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

8-10 wrote: »
    Nice jinx lads, blew his save last night giving up 2 runs in the 9th

Still got the win though!

Saw the highlights of that game this morning. Looked crazy!

So the Dodgers continue to win. 9 in a row at the moment.
    My only concern at the moment, is that they're generally just doing enough to win.
    Swept the Giants over the weekend, and could have potentially been swept themselves. I think they won each game by 1 run
    Now beating the Braves by 1. Would rather see them winning more comfortably. In the play-offs, those 1-run wins have a higher chance of been turned into losses

Two ways to look at that. Either they're grinding out results and showing their resolve or the way they're winning isn't sustainable and eventually will catch up with them.

And which ever way it turns out, the 'experts' will revert back to whichever answer makes them look good and you can guarantee them saying they had it right.

Looking forward to Darvish v deGrom on Friday. Should be a good one.

Two ways to look at that. Either they're grinding out results and showing their resolve or the way they're winning isn't sustainable and eventually will catch up with them.

And which ever way it turns out, the 'experts' will revert back to whichever answer makes them look good and you can guarantee them saying they had it right.

Looking forward to Darvish v deGrom on Friday. Should be a good one.

The Dodgers getting Darvish is a real sickener as a Nats fan. Although I still like our front end rotation against anyone especially with our line up. Dolittle is helping the bull pen too.

We still need an arm to come help out the late innings.

The Dodgers right now though just keep finding a way, I think they regress at some stage, I hope it's in the playoffs!

The Dodgers getting Darvish is a real sickener as a Nats fan. Although I still like our front end rotation against anyone especially with our line up. Dolittle is helping the bull pen too.

We still need an arm to come help out the late innings.

The Dodgers right now though just keep finding a way, I think they regress at some stage, I hope it's in the playoffs!

The Nats got 3 very capable arms over the past couple of weeks. OK, so there's no lights out closer there but yer man from the Twins is decent enough apparently. And apart from Miller, was there an A+ reliever out there? And considering the history between the Nats and the Orioles, that trade was never going to happen!

As for the Dodgers, I keep thinking that they'll hit a slump soon but it never happens. Surely winning at the rate they have done for past couple of months can't be maintained. But they keep winning. For their sake, it'd better not happen in October!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

MLB.tv is $17.99 right now. Great deal.

• Advertisement

The Nats got 3 very capable arms over the past couple of weeks. OK, so there's no lights out closer there but yer man from the Twins is decent enough apparently. And apart from Miller, was there an A+ reliever out there? And considering the history between the Nats and the Orioles, that trade was never going to happen!

As for the Dodgers, I keep thinking that they'll hit a slump soon but it never happens. Surely winning at the rate they have done for past couple of months can't be maintained. But they keep winning. For their sake, it'd better not happen in October!

We should have went and got Hand from the Padres. He's miller-esque, not as good but up there. I think the Orioles would have dealt Zach but we would have needed to give up too much. As good as the Dodgers are I don't fear them this year, our starters are as good as theirs and I believe our line up is better. Trea will be back soon and that Trea, Harper, Murphy , Zimmerman quartet just looks nasty.

Actually the only thing that worries me is the bull pen. I do like Dolittle though, always have for some reason. Also I think one of our rotation ends up in their for the playoffs, probably Roark and I think he can be effective from there. As can Jackson who was a good addition and has pitched relatively well since coming into the rotation.

Actually the only thing that worries me is the bull pen..

Not happy with Kintzler as the closer? I think he looks decent enough.

With him, Doolittle and the other lad they got, they've done a good job in strengthening up the bullpen.

Not happy with Kintzler as the closer? I think he looks decent enough.

With him, Doolittle and the other lad they got, they've done a good job in strengthening up the bullpen.

Kintzler has good control and a lot of saves this year but how does he react to high leverage situations? I know people will argue every save is high leverage but there is a difference in the playoffs. Honestly we needed him. He's going to fill a massive void, I'm hoping he can handle the pressure.

Adding three arms to the bull pen was definitely needed. Now to win the Division and concentrate on getting through one round of the playoffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭boccy23

I see the Indians have put Andrew Miller on the DL. Expected to miss 6 weeks. Wonder will it affect the race with KC.

boccy23 wrote: »
    I see the Indians have put Andrew Miller on the DL. Expected to miss 6 weeks. Wonder will it affect the race with KC.

Their still very capable. Even with Miller gone their bullpen is very good, Joe Smith only adding to it.

Sonny Gray v Corey Kluber tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

TimRiggins wrote:
    Sonny Gray v Corey Kluber tonight!

I'm gonna stay up for this..

Daniel Murphy must love playing the Cubs, especially at Wrigley Field. 2 more homers today.

Yu Darvish vs. Jacob DeGrom tonight!

Well that didn't go the way I hoped it would but no one seems to be able to stop the Dodgers these days, except for the Braves on occasion bizarrely.

In other news, Bartolo's not dead yet! A complete game at 44 years old. I love that man!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,244 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Well that didn't go the way I hoped it would but no one seems to be able to stop the Dodgers these days, except for the Braves on occasion bizarrely.

In other news, Bartolo's not dead yet! A complete game at 44 years old. I love that man!
    Would've gotten more innings from him than Wheeler and Gsellman this year, easily. Ahh well. Robles had an MRI the other day, can't find any news about the results. "Numbness in the arm and hand." Ahh well, another surgery incoming and a long rehab. He's been pretty poor all season. What a train wreck this season has been.

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    Would've gotten more innings from him than Wheeler and Gsellman this year, easily. Ahh well. Robles had an MRI the other day, can't find any news about the results. "Numbness in the arm and hand." Ahh well, another surgery incoming and a long rehab. He's been pretty poor all season. What a train wreck this season has been.

That walk off pitch Thursday would have been funny if I supported any other team.

Mariners get Alonso from Oakland in exchange for Boog Powell.

Noah Syndegaard's brief cameo in Game of Thrones. I don't watch the show but he was killed by a dragon apparently so moved to the 60 day DL

https://twitter.com/metsciti/status/894377907841380352

Had the pleasure of seeing him pitch earlier this year. He had a 8 something ERA but still owned us. Story of our year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Noah Syndegaard's brief cameo in Game of Thrones. I don't watch the show but he was killed by a dragon apparently so moved to the 60 day DL

Josh Donaldson had a cameo on Vikings latest season. Had a line or two as well, if I recall correctly.

the AL wildcard race is going to be interesting. Yankees after investing alot for this year, this slump is really hurting them.

the AL wildcard race is going to be interesting. Yankees after investing alot for this year, this slump is really hurting them.

Judge has come back to earth too. To be expected I suppose.

Judge has come back to earth too. To be expected I suppose.

Thats true, the strikeout rate is ridiculous.

Mind you he's still hitting .298 with 34 homers so not a bad year by anyones standards!

Thats true, the strikeout rate is ridiculous.

Mind you he's still hitting .298 with 34 homers so not a bad year by anyones standards!

http://thebiglead.com/2017/08/09/aaron-judges-big-second-half-slump-break-down/

Good article here about how pitchers have adjusted to him. He'll adapt though I think. Still has a .384 OBP during this 'slump'.

How many dingers will Giancarlo end up with? Looks like he'll top 50 easily.

• Advertisement

Jay Bruce gone to the Indians for basically a bag of balls.

Advertisement