Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2017 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Colby Rasmus is 'stepping away from baseball'. Was having a productive season but obviously some personal issues there. Might never see him back.

Also rumours that Moncada might get activated this weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Yankees SP Pineda needs TJ surgery.. Prospect Chance Adams is probably gonna replace him in the rotation

Yankees SP Pineda needs TJ surgery.. Prospect Chance Adams is probably gonna replace him in the rotation

What's he like?

What's he like?

Haven't seen him play but by all accounts he's going to be amazing

• Advertisement

What's he like?

Haven't seen him either but his numbers are decent.. Hes struck out a lot (ok it's in lower grade ball) but he's worth been excited about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Nationals get Sean Doooooooooooooooolittle and Ryan Madson from the A's. Still don't understand the A's, trading away their most recognisable (and best) players.

Nationals get Sean Doooooooooooooooolittle and Ryan Madson from the A's. Still don't understand the A's, trading away their most recognisable (and best) players.

and taking Blake Treinin in return.....?????

I know the other guys they got were only 2016 draftees so a good bit away but they must be valued somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

and taking Blake Treinin in return.....?????

I know the other guys they got were only 2016 draftees so a good bit away but they must be valued somewhat.

Neuse and Luzardo are good talent, will be in the majors by 2019 I reckon, especially Neuse.

Treinin .. broke my heart the last couple of years but if he can develop some calm under pressure he could turn it around.

Not sure how I feel about it overall but I know for certain that we got better with this trade, just not sure if it's enough. I still want a top closer.

Red Sox designated Pablo Sandoval for assignment over the weekend.
    He is still owed more money than the following players will earn this season combined: Mookie Betts, Chris Sale, Craig Kimbrel, Andrew Benintendi, Jackie Bradley Jr, Xander Boegarts, Mitch Moreland, Joe Kelly, Drew Pomeranz

What a disaster of a deal that was

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭DaniilKharms

8-10 wrote: »
    He is still owed more money than the following players will earn this season combined: Mookie Betts, Chris Sale, Craig Kimbrel, Andrew Benintendi, Jackie Bradley Jr, Xander Boegarts, Mitch Moreland, Joe Kelly, Drew Pomeranz

Indeed, but like your post kinda makes clear, MLB teams are making a killing off players they pay way below their value, and in exchange they take bad deals like this on the chin from time to time.

100M for a team like the Sox is loose change. The franchise is worth 2.3 billion after all.

Indeed, but like your post kinda makes clear, MLB teams are making a killing off players they pay way below their value, and in exchange they take bad deals like this on the chin from time to time.

100M for a team like the Sox is loose change. The franchise is worth 2.3 billion after all.
    You don't get rich by making too many bad decisions though. This one would have hurt I'd say. Sandoval can join the list of players we're still giving a salary to this year, including Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford....and Manny Ramirez who still gets paid by the Red Sox for another decade!

You don't get rich by making too many bad decisions though. This one would have hurt I'd say. Sandoval can join the list of players we're still giving a salary to this year, including Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford....and Manny Ramirez who still gets paid by the Red Sox for another decade!

No, but this is not a catastrophe. The Sox have one of the highest payrolls in the game, and will still have that next year, and the year after, and the year after, despite Panda.

I know it's a lotta cash to most folks, but to a multi-billion dollar company it's probably nothing more than a problem for the accountants.

No, but this is not a catastrophe. The Sox have one of the highest payrolls in the game, and will still have that next year, and the year after, and the year after, despite Panda.

I know it's a lotta cash to most folks, but to a multi-billion dollar company it's probably nothing more than a problem for the accountants.

Its 100million down the drain not just a problem for the accountants, they are also going to have to pay big money to fill the gap left there at third base. Looking at Todd Frazier from the White Sox , he has been pretty poor this year but the Green Monster would suit him. Probably $12million for the year but a UFA next season so if he does well, a big contract would be expected.

Its 100million down the drain not just a problem for the accountants, they are also going to have to pay big money to fill the gap left there at third base. Looking at Todd Frazier from the White Sox , he has been pretty poor this year but the Green Monster would suit him. Probably $12million for the year but a UFA next season so if he does well, a big contract would be expected.

12m is again a drop in the bucket.

And Devers will be with us in 2018 at the latest... so no big contracts to fix that problem for the foreseeable future.

And again, 100m is a drop in the bucket... they make 400M in revenue annually. And that Pablo deal is across 5 years, and with accountants involved they can probably write off a lot of it.

12m is again a drop in the bucket.

And Devers will be with us in 2018 at the latest... so no big contracts to fix that problem for the foreseeable future.

And again, 100m is a drop in the bucket... they make 400M in revenue annually. And that Pablo deal is across 5 years, and with accountants involved they can probably write off a lot of it.

Given a profit of $78m on the year , neither 12m this year nor $100m over 5 years is a drop in the bucket. Can they afford it, yes but still a big kick in the ass.

They are also going to have to pay their young core in the near future and that is going to be some serious bucks!

Given a profit of $78m on the year , neither 12m this year nor $100m over 5 years is a drop in the bucket. Can they afford it, yes but still a big kick in the ass.

They are also going to have to pay their young core in the near future and that is going to be some serious bucks!

78m is the figure AFTER accounting for salary. So that includes the Panda's salary. And as far as I remember none of those young guys will be cashing in before Panda is off the books.

Anyway, we'll agree to disagree on the severity of the impact.

78m is the figure AFTER accounting for salary. So that includes the Panda's salary. And as far as I remember none of those young guys will be cashing in before Panda is off the books.

Anyway, we'll agree to disagree on the severity of the impact.

Indeed .. after Panda's salary but not including the salary of the new third baseman they are going to need. Like I said already yes they can afford it but no team likes a massive clanger like this one.

Indeed .. after Panda's salary but not including the salary of the new third baseman they are going to need. Like I said already yes they can afford it but no team likes a massive clanger like this one.

Like I said, they'll rent someone for a year - 12M or so - and they have one lined up after that who they're paying almost nothing for. That's not a big expense.

No team likes it, but it's not a big deal.

• Advertisement

As I posted on 'Bobby Bonilla' day, there are loads of teams spending money on players that don't play for them anymore. The Dodgers for example are paying $44m this year.

And as we're talking about Boston, remember they're still paying Manny Ramirez $2m a year until 2026!

Like I said, they'll rent someone for a year - 12M or so - and they have one lined up after that who they're paying almost nothing for. That's not a big expense.

No team likes it, but it's not a big deal.
    Some people are calling it the worst contract of all time - https://sports.yahoo.com/pablo-sandovals-red-sox-contract-worst-time-202452003.html

It was a disaster no matter how much money you have.

Some people are calling it the worst contract of all time - https://sports.yahoo.com/pablo-sandovals-red-sox-contract-worst-time-202452003.html

It was a disaster no matter how much money you have.

I didnt realise it was being viewed that badly.

To be honest I really like Sandoval and was sort of gutted it didn't work out for him in Boston.

Diamondbacks acquire OF J.D Martinez from the Tigers for multiple prospects

Astros SS Correa out 6-8 weeks with torn ligament in left thumb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Yankees get Tood Frazier and David Robertson from White Sox in exchange for Yankees 2016 no 1 pick Blake Rutherford and a few others.

Yankees get Tood Frazier and David Robertson from White Sox in exchange for Yankees 2016 no 1 pick Blake Rutherford and a few others.

Not bad for a rental i suppose, he's a free agent at the end of season.. Could see him playing a lot at 1st Base with this Bird situation not resolving itself anytime soon.. Robertson should help the bullpen too

The Dodgers are on some run. That's 30-4 over the last 34 games.
    Was expecting them to fall back towards .550 ball, but they just seem to keep winning.
    Starting to wake up, and just expect to see that they have won.

In a game that was very much viewed as being Harper vs Trout, Harper was unreal last night.

4-4, including a triple and a HR. He was simply outstanding.

Yankees made a good move yesterday, off loaded their worst bullpen arm, got Robertson so they effectively are trying to be the Royals of two years ago. Robertson, Betances and Chapman, thats some playoff pen. Also the signing of Frazier IMO was a blocker on the Red Sox, smart move.

Yankees made a good move yesterday, off loaded their worst bullpen arm, got Robertson so they effectively are trying to be the Royals of two years ago. Robertson, Betances and Chapman, thats some playoff pen. Also the signing of Frazier IMO was a blocker on the Red Sox, smart move.

Just read that it came down to the Yankees and Red Sox for Frazier with the Yankees offering more.. Now i know nothing about the other reliever they got in the deal... Tommy Kahnle...

• Advertisement

Just read that it came down to the Yankees and Red Sox for Frazier with the Yankees offering more.. Now i know nothing about the other reliever they got in the deal... Tommy Kahnle...

Probably the most interesting piece of the deal actually, he's struggled with walks and control but this year he has been absolutely outstanding this year. He struggled in some high leverage situations but is more likely going to be a sixth seventh inning guy anyway. Definitely a huge improvement for this season for the yankees.

Advertisement