Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2017 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Regardless of how the Dodgers are doing, I'm loving the Rockies and Diamondbacks being competitive this year. Great to see the division being so tight. Next few series are going to be interesting

Nice for the Dodgers to be playing against a Triple A team at the moment to ease them into their tougher upcoming games.

Facing the mighty Tyler Pill and his 88mph fast ball this evening. I bet the Dodger hitters are quaking in their boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Nice for the Dodgers to be playing against a Triple A team at the moment to ease them into their tougher upcoming games.

Facing the mighty Tyler Pill and his 88mph fast ball this evening. I bet the Dodger hitters are quaking in their boots.

Another pitching implosion for your guys last night?

At least you are not alone, the Yankee's cant get anything from their starters either!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Another pitching implosion for your guys last night?

At least you are not alone, the Yankee's cant get anything from their starters either!

Not an implosion - pretty much typical pitching this year. Lousy. Something like 10 games giving up 10 or more runs this season.

Starter was the mighty Robert Gsellmann. He's pitched poorly a lot, and would be in the bullpen as the long guy had there been a decent alternative.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Not an implosion - pretty much typical pitching this year. Lousy. Something like 10 games giving up 10 or more runs this season.

Starter was the mighty Robert Gsellmann. He's pitched poorly a lot, and would be in the bullpen as the long guy had there been a decent alternative.

Did Gsellmann not pitch well at the end of last season? It's been another injury hit year for you guys I mean you've lost 3 of your starters to the DL.

But yeah the pitching has been poor. Want to trade Reed to the Nats?

Did Gsellmann not pitch well at the end of last season? It's been another injury hit year for you guys I mean you've lost 3 of your starters to the DL.

But yeah the pitching has been poor. Want to trade Reed to the Nats?

Yeah, Gsellman was good last year (as was Lugo) but it's not happening for him this season for whatever reason. Maybe it was beginner's luck last year?

Reed is about the only piece they have worth trading. Everyone else who could be out the door if there is a fire sale has no real value (Duda, Grandy, Cabrera, Walker etc.).

After getting torched continually by Murphy, I don't know how keen they'd be to trade him to the Nats though.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Gsellman was good last year (as was Lugo) but it's not happening for him this season for whatever reason. Maybe it was beginner's luck last year?

Reed is about the only piece they have worth trading. Everyone else who could be out the door if there is a fire sale has no real value (Duda, Grandy, Cabrera, Walker etc.).

After getting torched continually by Murphy, I don't know how keen they'd be to trade him to the Nats though.

Hard to trade in the Division as well. I imagine if things continue someone is going to come knocking for Cespedes.

Hard to trade in the Division as well. I imagine if things continue someone is going to come knocking for Cespedes.

He'd be untouchable. Along with Conforto and the top 3 starters. Everyone else would be available but only Reed and Blevins have any value so you'd only be getting scrubs back in return so it's hardly worth the point. Unless they wanted to shed salary.

He'd be untouchable. Along with Conforto and the top 3 starters. Everyone else would be available but only Reed and Blevins have any value so you'd only be getting scrubs back in return so it's hardly worth the point. Unless they wanted to shed salary.

they could trade Cepedes for someones farm though at this point it might be worth it. Depending of course on how the pitching arms recover.

Don't know to be honest. Only been a fan since '06 and while I know the stuff mentioned, I didn't live through it. Igotadose might give an answer?

• Advertisement

It would be nice tonight though if they managed to get to the second inning not down by 4 runs.

Don't know to be honest. Only been a fan since '06 and while I know the stuff mentioned, I didn't live through it. Igotadose might give an answer?

Must Endure The Suffering. Yeah, the article's spot on, at least since I can recall back to around to the mid-1960's. The early '80s were horrible, Anthony Young's losing streak as a pitcher sticks in mind, the scrubs that were traded for Seaver (Pat Zachry, Doug Flynn, Steve Henderson and Dan Norman - I can recite those names from memory and I still think it's the worst trade in ML history, the Fregosi/Ryan trade turned out to be bad, but no one knew how electric Ryan would become. Seaver was first-ballot nearly 100% HOF and was dumped by the management.)

What's happening now is really bad but in the late 70's and 80's it really felt like nothing would ever change. 1983-90 the team was competitive and won a WS. Haven't won one since and had to endure two bad WS performances vs. You Know Who in 2000 and 2015. Compared to the last couple of years, those teams had NO talent on them (Lee Mazzilli was the star - snore. Craig Swan the ace pitcher - gag.) This one's got Cespedes, de Grom, and a bunch of guys hurt who are among the best at their positions (Familia, Walker, Syndegaard.)

This era, it seems like 2017 is done, but maybe with 2018 and a couple pitchers, one or two rookies pan out and it won't be as bad as this one.

Last two years have been an 'embarrassment of riches' in terms of good games and wins.

This year, business as usual.

No hitter for Scherzer through 7.1. He's at 103 pitches so still doable I'd say.

No hitter for Scherzer through 7.1. He's at 103 pitches so still doable I'd say.

And no sooner had I written that, he gives up a hit.

And no sooner had I written that, he gives up a hit.

Dusty Baker does not trust the Nats bullpen at all.

Scherzer gives up a the no hitter in the 8th after 110 pitches and after walking the next batter and hitting the next guy up to load the bases, Baker leaves him in to face Stanton when he's obviously gassed.

Any other bullpen and the closer or at least the set up man would have been in.

And sure enough Scherzer throws a wild pitch to level it and Stanton then gets a hit to score a run. Luckily there was a guy thrown out at the plate or it would have been 3-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Baseball is a funny sport - Verlander pitching a perfect game against Mariners through 5 1/3 innings with 10 strikeouts, Tigers up 4-0. He ends up leaving in bottom 6th with the game tied and the Mariners go on to win 7-5.

Dusty Baker does not trust the Nats bullpen at all.

Scherzer gives up a the no hitter in the 8th after 110 pitches and after walking the next batter and hitting the next guy up to load the bases, Baker leaves him in to face Stanton when he's obviously gassed.

Any other bullpen and the closer or at least the set up man would have been in.

And sure enough Scherzer throws a wild pitch to level it and Stanton then gets a hit to score a run. Luckily there was a guy thrown out at the plate or it would have been 3-1.

With good reason Jack. The bullpen has been abysmal. Also 100% Max did not want to come out of the game. Even after giving up the no hitter( a blooper off the ground just in front of the plate) He was still firing on all cylinders but my one and only problem was then leaving him to face Stanton. Terrible idea. anyway hindsight is wonderful. Max I hope throws a no hitter again this year, IMO and it is biased, he's the best pitcher in baseball to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

And another one bites the dust for the Mets. Zach wheeler placed on the 10 day DL.

This season is just one big cluster fu*k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭boccy23

Dbacks took 2 outta 3 from the Rox. 1 game back of the Dodgers now. Dodgers and Rox play over the weekend while the Dbacks play the Phillies. Good chance to take the division lead.

Hey, at least the circus keeps moving along for the Mets:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/mets-promote-tim-tebow-high-class-st-lucie-article-1.3276533

Tebow being promoted to High-A. Despite not being very good.

• Advertisement

Hey, at least the circus keeps moving along for the Mets:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/mets-promote-tim-tebow-high-class-st-lucie-article-1.3276533

Tebow being promoted to High-A. Despite not being very good.

Tickets sales must be slow in St. Lucie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

:D:D:D

http://www.richmond.com/obituaries/killebrew-patrick/article_863f515d-cc63-5565-bc9b-00b8be664a80.html
    KILLEBREW, Patrick, "Pat," age 68, passed away peacefully at home, June 20, 2017, after watching the Washington Nationals relief pitchers blow yet another lead. Beloved father and husband, longtime attorney, former U.S. Navy Navigator and avid baseball fan and player. Join in a celebration of his life July 2, 6 to 8 p.m., at the SCA Clubhouse, 9601 Redbridge Rd., 23236. In lieu of flowers, send "donations" to the "Nationals Bullpen Fund."

Another day, another Mets pitcher to the DL. This time because of a hamstring.

What is it with Mets players and hamstring, calf and other leg muscle injuries? Are they not warming up properly or what?

Another day, another Mets pitcher to the DL. This time because of a hamstring.

What is it with Mets players and hamstring, calf and other leg muscle injuries? Are they not warming up properly or what?

There's been some articles recently about this. Ron Darling who pitched during the 80's glory days, says there's too much emphasis on weight training: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/mets-broadcaster-ron-darling-rips-trainers-latest-injury-article-1.3283039 . I think he has a point about the fielders, they're trying too hard to hit home runs to get those fat contracts that come with it. Pitchers are tricky - watching highlights from last night's game, the best Marlins pitcher came in late and basically was built like a beer league player. But, nice easy motion and good movement on his pitches and he pitched well. Syndegaard's built like a tank, throws crazy hard, yet, gets badly injured too. Lat muscle tears sounds like something a bodybuilder might suffer, not a pitcher.

The greatest Mets pitcher of all time, Tom Seaver, had a lot to say about it in May: http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/tom-seaver-power-pitchers-velocity-learn-how-to-pitch-mets-noah-syndergaard/sxh9w314acza1m1qp8yreup0y

Quote: "What’s with these guys and this obsession today with velocity? How about just pitch? Learn how to pitch,"

I learned from a blog that Gred Maddux in something like 23 years pitching, was on the DL for a total of 15 days. Probably the best non-Mets pitcher I ever saw, either him or Randy Johnson in his prime.

bad host? Shows DNS fail for me.
    This link works: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/evan-longoria-rays-toughest-pitchers-american-league-east/

Something weird with the quoting in Boards I think

It brings up a double http:// I took one out and it works now, I think.

Either way your link works so thanks for that. Its a good article.

Dodgers lost on a walk off strikeout last night which looked as weird as it sounds.

• Advertisement

It'd be nice if they got a player from other teams and did this for all divisions.

Advertisement