Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2017 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

True though ;)

Dodgers unreal at the moment, but bound to come back to earth over the coming months. Really tough division too.

Going to be an interesting second half, Brewers without a doubt the surprise package so far.

My post might get lost at the bottom of the last page.
    I'd generally expect the same to happen, but everyone keeps talking about their schedule in the 2nd half of the season, and how friendly it is for them.

Delighted for the Brewers. Hope they can keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

My post might get lost at the bottom of the last page.
    I'd generally expect the same to happen, but everyone keeps talking about their schedule in the 2nd half of the season, and how friendly it is for them.

Delighted for the Brewers. Hope they can keep it up

Lot of losing teams coming to town against the Dodgers but there are some tough series in there too. Nationals, Brewers, Pirates, plus 25 games against Giants/Dbacks and Rockies .. Still all in all the Dodgers look likely to win 100+ games right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Lot of losing teams coming to town against the Dodgers but there are some tough series in there too. Nationals, Brewers, Pirates, plus 25 games against Giants/Dbacks and Rockies .. Still all in all the Dodgers look likely to win 100+ games right now

They'd better hope their cooling off period if it does happen, doesn't happen in October.

You can plod along at .500 until September, then get hot and you've just as good a chance of winning as the 100 win team.

They'd better hope their cooling off period if it does happen, doesn't happen in October.

You can plod along at .500 until September, then get hot and you've just as good a chance of winning as the 100 win team.

Thats very true, as a Nationals fan I can tell you all about going cold at the wrong time.

Any fans of the home run derby tonight? I've no interest in it myself. Always found it a bit boring

• Advertisement

Any fans of the home run derby tonight? I've no interest in it myself. Always found it a bit boring

Last year's performance by Stanton was incredible, I think with the guys who are there this year I will watch in. Some incredible power on display tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

None at all. If I'm been honest I find the All Star game a total waste of time.

Just take a break and give the players a few days off

ShyMets wrote: »
    None at all. If I'm been honest I find the All Star game a total waste of time.

Just take a break and give the players a few days off

I like the game itself, even if it is because I like seeing the players from different teams playing together. I'm glad playing for home field in the World Series is gone though. That was ridiculous.

It's bad enough when the Dodgers have an off day. Having 4 days off drives me cracked. I'm too reliant on being able to watch highlights in bed when my alarm goes off

Aaron Judge ... wow ...

• Advertisement

Decent game last night, some nice plays. Cano is still class and delighted for Yadier!

Decent game last night, some nice plays. Cano is still class and delighted for Yadier!

I didn't see the game but just watched a few clips there. The interview with Harper between pitches when he was in the outfield was a good idea. Did they do that for anyone else?

I didn't see the game but just watched a few clips there. The interview with Harper between pitches when he was in the outfield was a good idea. Did they do that for anyone else?

I only watched bits and pieces myself man, watched all the main highlights this morning, including Harpers falling/diving catch! I didnt see them interview anyone in the field so I must have missed the part with Harper. I like the idea though.

I do think Harper's idea for a "draft" all star game was interesting.Also his arrival in the white suit, loved it. He's a show man but one that is 100% committed to the game, great to see both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I know there's a few Jays fans on here so I thought I'd take a look at where they stand.

I have to be honest I did not foresee the team being 6 games under .500 at this point. Despite the weak start I thought they'd be fighting for a WC spot. They're 5 games back of the 2nd spot with 7 teams to leapfrog. That's a tall order! I'd say the division is beyond them.

No-one could foresee the injury list. All of the starters have at some point been on the DL, and what seems like half the bullpen. Donaldson, Tulowitski, Travis, Martin have all also seen time on the DL. And when they have been healthy the pitchers and hitters both have had poor seasons. Estrada and Sanchez look mere shadows of themselves, as have JD and Tulo. Encarnacion's power is greatly missed.

Are they buyers or sellers? It's a coin toss. The next handful of series will be crucial. If they win those and go on a bit of a run, maybe stand pat or look to make a trade. Otherwise time to rebuild or at least retool for next season. If teams will pay a king's ransom for Liriano, Happ or Estrada or JD or Bautista for eg, then go for it; make the deal.

It's going to be an interesting few weeks. Tigers are up next.

Also his arrival in the white suit, loved it. He's a show man but one that is 100% committed to the game, great to see both.

I wonder how his praising Dak Prescott and Zeke Elliot will go down when he gets back to DC!! John Wall got awful grief when he wore a Cowboys jersey.

I wonder how his praising Dak Prescott and Zeke Elliot will go down when he gets back to DC!! John Wall got awful grief when he wore a Cowboys jersey.

Bryce might get a couple of jibes but not much.

He wants to stay in Washington which is massive.

He's going to be the first $400million player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I know it's bar-room banter but...Harper or Trout? Tough call. There's a few contenders for best outfield players in both leagues but I don't think anyone could argue they're both top in their respective leagues.

mod9maple wrote: »
    I know it's bar-room banter but...Harper or Trout? Tough call. There's a few contenders for best outfield players in both leagues but I don't think anyone could argue they're both top in their respective leagues.

Two brilliant players, for me Trout has been more consistant though and I would give him an edge but if Harper continues the form then the conversation will be interesting next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭boccy23

mod9maple wrote: »

I honestly don't think that at this stage it is that close. Trout's 5 years since 2012 are historic while Harper teased with hot streaks but a part from 2015, failed to achieve what his talents show he could.

This year is good and if he keeps it up for 3 or 4 more years, then maybe there is a discussion.

Career WAR of 51.9 for Trout versus 25.0 for Harper.

boccy23 wrote: »
    I honestly don't think that at this stage it is that close. Trout's 5 years since 2012 are historic while Harper teased with hot streaks but a part from 2015, failed to achieve what his talents show he could.

This year is good and if he keeps it up for 3 or 4 more years, then maybe there is a discussion.

Career WAR of 51.9 for Trout versus 25.0 for Harper.

I sort of agree , right now I don't think it's that close. I think Trout is very much the better player and has the stats to prove it. Trout has superior defensive skills in the field by a distance although Harper's arent poor.

But I think if this year Harper continues to rake as he is he will be closer. At the end of the day though both players want rings and Championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Cubs just acquired SP Jose Quintana from the Cubs for Top Prospect Eloy Jimenez and 3 others

The White Sox have the opportunity to have a great team in a couple of years. They're really hovering up some quality prospects

The White Sox have the opportunity to have a great team in a couple of years. They're really hovering up some quality prospects

yep I'll be interested in how good Moncado turns out to be, he does look like he could be special

yep I'll be interested in how good Moncado turns out to be, he does look like he could be special

I've loads of time for teams who re-build like this. I hope it works out for them. Much better to re-build if you can, rather than stay mediocre

I've loads of time for teams who re-build like this. I hope it works out for them. Much better to re-build if you can, rather than stay mediocre

Agree completely. Like the Astro's did.

Agree completely. Like the Astro's did.

The Astros tanked for years though and rebuilt more through high draft picks though.

The Astros tanked for years though and rebuilt more through high draft picks though.

They sold of bits and pieces on the way. The thing about the Astros' tanking, similar to the Padres at the moment, when your that bad it's really difficult to improve.

• Advertisement

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20016267/tim-tebow-plays-home-run-hero-st-lucie-walks-7th

timmy hit a walk off homer ... he's also hit in his last 11 and is apparrently hitting over .300 in this small sample size, Whatever about his promotion being suspicious he actually genuinely seems to be improving

Advertisement