Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2017 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

It'd be nice if they got a player from other teams and did this for all divisions.

Agree would make for some interesting articles.

Anyone see Arenado's throw last night? Simply incredible.

With regard to Montero being demoted, personally I think he was right to say what he said Arrieta was terribly slow and he has been pretty terrible this year.

If Lester is as bad as normal with base stealing then Trea could easily steal 6-8 tonight, providing of course he gets on base.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Miguel Andujar 4 RBI's set a new Debut Record for the Yankees last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Bartolo's been DFA'd by the Braves. Done or will anyone bite? He was very poor this year. Age had to catch up with him eventually I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Looks like Drew Smyly may never throw a pitch for the Mariners - he's just been sent for Tommy John surgery. Begs the question if the Rays knew something before they traded him.

Looks like Drew Smyly may never throw a pitch for the Mariners - he's just been sent for Tommy John surgery. Begs the question if the Rays knew something before they traded him.

What are the rules on that? Is it buyer beware and your medical staff are responsible for not spotting it or does the original team have to declare if they know there's an issue? I know teams can just say they didn't know but there would probably be records wouldn't there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Bartolo's been DFA'd by the Braves. Done or will anyone bite? He was very poor this year. Age had to catch up with him eventually I suppose.

Awww... could he be worse than Tommy Milone, Neal Martinez, Tyler Pill or Rafael Montero? Mets should give him a chance. He probably didn't like the heat in Atlanta...

MLB.tv is $10 for the rest of the season until the last out tonight.

MLB.tv is $10 for the rest of the season until the last out tonight.

Thanks to rain, the Yankees v White Sox game only ended a few minutes ago too so plenty of time to take them up on their offer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭boccy23

Trea Turner - broken right wrist. Wosrt case scenario for the Nats (and my Fantasy team!).

boccy23 wrote: »
    Trea Turner - broken right wrist. Wosrt case scenario for the Nats (and my Fantasy team!).

Yeah hard to have anything but regret about Trea getting one on the wrist. Have to say was pretty annoyed about it at the time, more annoyed about it now. Anything to do with stealing a bajillion bases against them over the series? Probably.

Another blown save by the worst bull pen in baseball. I predict K Rod is saving games for the Nats in the coming weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭boccy23

Yeah hard to have anything but regret about Trea getting one on the wrist. Have to say was pretty annoyed about it at the time, more annoyed about it now. Anything to do with stealing a bajillion bases against them over the series? Probably.

Another blown save by the worst bull pen in baseball. I predict K Rod is saving games for the Nats in the coming weeks.

Would be poor form, but these unwritten rules have a complete life of their own. Turner was just rounding into good form as well after a sticky sophmore season thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Is Ubaldo Jimenez the most inconsistent pitcher of the last ten years? Played like an ace last night and he does it every few starts while in another start he is absolutely terrible.
    And I remember him doing the same thing a few years ago in Cleveland!

Must be very frustrating for the coaches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Is Ubaldo Jimenez the most inconsistent pitcher of the last ten years? Played like an ace last night...

In fairness he came up against a very mediocre Blue Jays team. Lately they can't hit snow off a rope.

Mike Foltynewicz of the Braves no hit the A's through 8 innings and then gave up a home run in the 9th.

Today is Bobby Bonilla day, the day every year when everyone points out that the Mets will be paying him $1m and will be every year until 2033.

What no one in the media ever seems to point out are the other teams that are paying players that no longer play for them. Some examples:

Bobby Bonilla - Orioles paying him $200k per year until 2028 (I want this man's agent!)
    Carlos Beltran - Mets (again) paying him $3m until 2018 which begs the question, who was in charge of contracts when all this was going on....????
    Manny Ramirez - Red Sox on the hook for $2m a year until 2026
    Ken Griffey Jr. - Reds paying him $3.5m until 2024
    Bronon Arroyo - Reds $1.5m until 2019 (and he also got a total of $10.8m in 2015 from 4 teams despite not throwing a pitch)
    Bruce Sutter - Braves $1.3m until 2020 (last pitched for them in 1988)
    Kyle Lohse - Brewers $2.3m until 2018
    Gary Sheffield - Tigers (undisclosed amount) until 2019
    Todd Helton - Rockies undisclosed amount until 2023
    Ichiro - Going to be getting a portion of his final contract with the Mariners until 2032.

And as a team the Dodgers are also paying 7 players who don't play for them nearly $44m this year.

And in the future - Max Scherzer's contract with the Nats ends in 2021 but he'll receive $15m a year until 2028. And Chris Davis will be getting $3.5m a year from the Orioles from 2023-2032 and $1.4m a year from 2033-2037.

And regarding the Bonilla deal, as it was before my time I'm only going on what I read on the internet but apparently by deferring his salary, they were able to sign other players including Mike Hampton who apparently was a key figure in their run to getting to the World Series in 2000 and they used his compensatory pick to draft David Wright.

Alex Wood keeps on winning for the Dodgers.
    For a 10-0 pitcher, he gets very little attention. I keep expecting him to fall back into mediocrity

Alex Wood keeps on winning for the Dodgers.
    For a 10-0 pitcher, he gets very little attention. I keep expecting him to fall back into mediocrity

Against a good Arizona line up last night too.

Having Eric Karabell and Keith Law filling in for Buster Olney on the ESPN baseball podcast today was great. It used to be much better when those 2 and Mark Simon used to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Having Eric Karabell and Keith Law filling in for Buster Olney on the ESPN baseball podcast today was great. It used to be much better when those 2 and Mark Simon

Great to hear them back together. To be fair to Olney he's a good presenter. I just find him a bit safe.

Bartolo signs a minor league deal with the Twins. Hopefully there's something left in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Ohhhhhh Clint Frazier....

Boooooooommmm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Mets outfielder Brandon Nimmo to the DL with a collapsed lung.

What next... I don't want to guess...

Igotadose wrote: »
    Mets outfielder Brandon Nimmo to the DL with a collapsed lung.

What next... I don't want to guess...

To be fair, it was only a 'partially collapsed lung'. A mere scratch in terms of the whole scheme of Mets injuries.

10 run 1st inning for Pittsburgh against the Cubs.

Edit - a lot of teams getting double digit runs today. Opposing pitchers must have had 'a last day before holidays' feel about going to work today.

Not Kershaw :smug:

Not Kershaw :smug:

Indeed. He waits for the playoffs before pitching like he's on holidays.

(Only joking of course - I'm hardly in a position to be slagging pitchers)

Hahaha, you're kind of right :)
    I was hoping that when he was giving up 4 HRs to the Mets, it meant we'd see a different Kershaw in the play-offs. Seems to be finding his groove at the moment though.

Trying to be realistic about the Dodgers this season, but their schedule for the 2nd half seems to be very friendly.
    Just need to avoid any serious injuries.
    I would love them to pick up another top level pitcher though. Think they need some play-off winning caliber pitcher. Would love Stroman if he becomes available

• Advertisement

True though ;)

Dodgers unreal at the moment, but bound to come back to earth over the coming months. Really tough division too.

Going to be an interesting second half, Brewers without a doubt the surprise package so far.

Advertisement