Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2017 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Started today's game where they left off too.. 5 runs in the 1st

5 game win streak outscoring opponents 55-9.

I watched both games yesterday (sad, I know) and the defence from both teams was appalling. I've never seen the baseball equivalent of Sunday morning football but I'd say it was similar to some of fielding from both teams yesterday. The Mets were better in Game 2 but the Braves were awful in both.

It's annoying that Reyes is still getting game time and TJ Rivera gets sent down today (after a PH HR) and they don't look in any rush to bring up Rosario so we're stuck with old man Cabrera at SS. It's past the Super 2 date so they've no excuse really for leaving him in Las Vegas. I did read that some of the players have been sticking up for Reyes and don't want him DFAd but he's been awful all year and needs to be taken off the roster.

Cabrera looked better in field today. Made a couple of nice plays. He tried to bunt runners over though early on in the game so his confidence to get a hit (or the confidence in him) must be low at the moment.

Max Scherzer got his 2,000th strike out today. 3rd lowest innings pitched to get to that mark.

Out of all the in-between gimmicks at ball parks I've seen, the Braves seem to be onto a winner with 'Beat The Freeze'.

Pity their team is awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Have seen a lot of odd baseball plays and some demonstrating great athleticism. This might be the best of the bunch:

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v1487485183/miapit-marlins-nab-cutch-at-home-despite-big-leap

• Advertisement

Mets win, another injury (Walker), another ineffective starter now complaining about a dead arm (Harvey.) A relief pitcher (Smoker) just put on the DL.

Oh, and Rafael Montero's on his way back to replace Smoker.

And they're not bringing up the top infield prospect to fill in.

Bring on the Nationals, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Igotadose wrote: »
    Mets win, another injury (Walker), another ineffective starter now complaining about a dead arm (Harvey.) A relief pitcher (Smoker) just put on the DL.

Oh, and Rafael Montero's on his way back to replace Smoker.

And they're not bringing up the top infield prospect to fill in.

Bring on the Nationals, I guess.

Rleax. Terry has a plan😉

ShyMets wrote: »
    Rleax. Terry has a plan
    He's awake? Hard to tell. Not sure why Rosario's not up, but if they do the 10 day DL thing for Walker, maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Igotadose wrote: »
    He's awake? Hard to tell. Not sure why Rosario's not up, but if they do the 10 day DL thing for Walker, maybe.

From what i've heard the Mets Front office dont feel he's ready. I'd be amazed if wr dont see him at some point.

Personally I'd have him on the next plane from Las Vegas. They've nothing to lose at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭boccy23

From what i've heard the Mets Front office dont feel he's ready. I'd be amazed if wr dont see him at some point.

Personally I'd have him on the next plane from Las Vegas. They've nothing to lose at this point

He might be better off in Vegas and out of the cluster**** that the Mets are at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Bringing him up early can hurt his development. He is raking in Vegas but hard to judge those stats in comparison to the big leagues. Probably time at the moment though, Mets really hurting at SS.

Starting to get a bit optimistic about the Dodgers. If they can make some deals at the deadline, they'll be in great shape.
    Waiting for Bellinger to have a slump though. Just hoping Pederson steps up when it happens

Bringing him up early can hurt his development. He is raking in Vegas but hard to judge those stats in comparison to the big leagues. Probably time at the moment though, Mets really hurting at SS.

Make or break weekend turning into a bit of a damp squib for the Mets. Totally outmatched and can't even blame injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Hey Guys, I'm in the US with work and have just arrived in Denver in time for the Rockies game this afternoon. Was actually aiming to go to tomorrows game but got here early...cant wait to check out Coors Field :)

Make or break weekend turning into a bit of a damp squib for the Mets. Totally outmatched and can't even blame injuries.

In a few weeks I'll be going to a game in Seattle. It's going to be tough, at this rate all the interest will be around who gets dealt at prior to the trading deadline. This has turned into one of the worst seasons I can recall, and having followed the team closely since 1968, that's a lot of bad seasons. 100 losses is a definite possibility.

You're right, can't blame injuries for ineffectiveness anymore. Plenty of teams have injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Coeus wrote: »
    Hey Guys, I'm in the US with work and have just arrived in Denver in time for the Rockies game this afternoon. Was actually aiming to go to tomorrows game but got here early...cant wait to check out Coors Field :)
    Okay so the game was not a the run fest one normally expects from Coors Field but the wind was blowing in from centerfield so every flyball was pushed back in. Nice stadium though, gonna go again today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Just saw the A's sweep the Yankees so I guess anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Yankees don't like playing over on the west coast that's for sure

Yankees don't like playing over on the west coast that's for sure

Every team goes through a bad run at some stage during the season. I wouldn't be too worried about the Yankees at the moment.

Every team goes through a bad run at some stage during the season. I wouldn't be too worried about the Yankees at the moment.

A few injuries mounting for them. Hicks will be missed and CC missing will be worrying ones. Not alot of depth around that rotation.

• Advertisement

A few injuries mounting for them. Hicks will be missed and CC missing will be worrying ones. Not alot of depth around that rotation.

That's true about the rotation and maybe Judge comes back to earth a bit but they should still hang about at least.

That's true about the rotation and maybe Judge comes back to earth a bit but they should still hang about at least.

They'll stick around for certain. They have a couple of handy match up's coming up with the Angels, Rangers and White Sox coming to town you'd expect them to win all three of those series. With Houston, Brewers and Blue Jays after it's not the toughest schedule. But then they did just get swept by the A's. Anything is possible in baseball.

One thing for sure though is that division is going to come down to the games against each other and the Blue Jays have found some life, Baltimore are struggling but both the Red Sox and Rays are going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Parity in the AL? The last placed team, Oakland, is only 4.5 games back of the 2nd wild-card. Houston really the only team running away with their division. Look at the NL. 4 teams are miles ahead and the teams chasing the wildcard are between 9 and 21 games back! Some difference.

mod9maple wrote: »
    Parity in the AL? The last placed team, Oakland, is only 4.5 games back of the 2nd wild-card. Houston really the only team running away with their division. Look at the NL. 4 teams are miles ahead and the teams chasing the wildcard are between 9 and 21 games back! Some difference.

The Astros aside the AL hasnt got any really strong sides.

Reyes hits two HR's off Kershaw, I imagine it's been a while since that happened?

Kershaw has been susceptible to the long ball this year though, missing in the wrong spots perhaps.

Reyes hits two HR's off Kershaw, I imagine it's been a while since that happened?

Kershaw has been susceptible to the long ball this year though, missing in the wrong spots perhaps.

Pity they were 7-0 down after 2 though, well before Reyes HRs.

Pity they were 7-0 down after 2 though, well before Reyes HRs.

It's been a tough year on you Jack thus far, still expect some comeback from the Mets but hard to see anything at the moment especially with the Wild Card positions likely to be gaudy win numbers to get to.

It's been a tough year on you Jack thus far, still expect some comeback from the Mets but hard to see anything at the moment especially with the Wild Card positions likely to be gaudy win numbers to get to.

Too many teams to catch and a widening gap so at this stage I'd be happy if they got back to .500. Even that's going to be tough though.

Any idea how you guys can fix the bullpen? Sort that out and I'd say the Nats are the best team in baseball.

Too many teams to catch and a widening gap so at this stage I'd be happy if they got back to .500. Even that's going to be tough though.

Any idea how you guys can fix the bullpen? Sort that out and I'd say the Nats are the best team in baseball.

Honestly I thought that a closer would do but at the moment we need at least a set up man and a closer. I would like to think that they will make moves soon for both. My best guess right now is that we go back to the Giants for Melancon or possibly go after Davis with the Cubs, both could be willing to trade given the troubles they are having this year but not sure that's enough for us. Kelley , Glover and Treinen all have A+ stuff but Kelly and Treinen definitely buckle under pressure. Glover we haven't seen enough of yet to be clear either way.

The bull pen was an issue last season though and it hasn't been fixed so it's hardly surprising to the organisation. We should have paid for Chapman or Davis in the off season.

• Advertisement

Regardless of how the Dodgers are doing, I'm loving the Rockies and Diamondbacks being competitive this year. Great to see the division being so tight. Next few series are going to be interesting

Advertisement