Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Danbo! wrote: »
    I remember taking a taxi in the back arse of nowhere in Kerry one night. The type of deal where there's one driver in the town and when you call him, you either hear the background noise of a pub, or he sounds like he awoke to your phone call and he's getting dressed.

Anyway, he's belting around tiny roads with insane bends, one of the lads mentions he should probably ease off a bit, to which he replies "ah sure I know the roads, I've lived here all my life" while laughing.

Awful attitude but very difficult to change.

IQ transplant needed?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Chuchote wrote: »
    IQ transplant needed?

It won't work, and truthfully nothing other than enforcement or a really bad accident (involving that driver) will work.

other people in accidents, will not have known the roads well enough, not as good a reflexes as him or there will be a third party to blame.

Unless he both gets caught and there is belief in persistent enforcement, or his world is brought down around him in a shocking way, he will continue as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

this morning coming down Aungier st, at a junction ahead a courier van was turning left (and indicating). he waited for the cyclist on his left to continue straight on and then obviously had a suspicion as to the guy ahead of me in the cycle lane a couple of car lengths back because he hesitated. cue the cyclist sailing up the left side of the van and proceeding straight on as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I was a passenger in a car this morning. Coming up to the Botanic Gardens and the bus ahead pulled in. OH indicated and started to overtake. Taxi behind her frantically flashed lights, did a silly wave and then overtook both of us.

I hate to generalise, but they must be the most dangerous group of road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,612 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Weepsie wrote: »
    Taxi behind her frantically flashed lights, did a silly wave and then overtook both of us.
    I hate to generalise, but they must be the most dangerous group of road users.

A Taxi went to overtake a buddy of mine the other day, who was himself passing some parked cars, as the Taxi overtook he smacked the cyclist on the back with the car's wing mirror, sent him flying onto the ground, result was to attend A&E with back and knee injuries, nothing too serious but the forks and front wheel took some damage also...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Hmmmm? I lost you there. Please explain your theory a bit more....

Apologies if I'm wrong, the video didn't play so I scrolled through it frame by frame and I thought he was cycling against the traffic....that's a rear facing camera isn't it?

My bad, apologies to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

KeithTS wrote: »
    Apologies if I'm wrong, the video didn't play so I scrolled through it frame by frame and I thought he was cycling against the traffic....that's a rear facing camera isn't it?

My bad, apologies to all!

Yes , Fly 6 camera/rear light combo.

The other issue is that if I was a pedestrian, i should walk on the side of the road facing traffic.

As I said there was a female cyclist hit at that bend last year, the driver did not stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Chiparus wrote: »
    Yes , Fly 6 camera/rear light combo.

The other issue is that if I was a pedestrian, i should walk on the side of the road facing traffic.

As I said there was a female cyclist hit at that bend last year, the driver did not stop.

That was my bad about the wrong side of the road, sorry about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Interesting incident last weekend coming from Enniskerry towards the M11. At a roundabout where I was going straight on, I entered the roundabout with cars to my left stopped to facilitate me, a female cyclist shot out from inside (left) of those cars and entered the roundabout at full pelt and proceeded to turn right. My ABS was certainly tested. Kids in the car asking why she did such a 'silly thing'. Mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Heading along St Stephens green onto cuff St, taxi in front of me decided to pull into the parking bay outside the hotel to pick up a fare. . 4 girls . Never bothered to indicate.

Had to pull the breaks to avoid hitting me. One of the girls yelped. Went around to the driver side and knocked on the window which he rolled down.

Said he didn't see me.........advised if he had used his wing mirrors he would had.

Idiot asked me where was I.......pointed to the girls waiting to get in as said.....ask them......cycled off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

ED E wrote: »
    Great work Kaiser. If only I could believe a driving ban would actually take him off the road..

Thanks. A ban won't faze him but maybe the jail time will (if convicted on the other offence and sentenced as per Garda opinion). He was just so unfazed by the thing. He is obviously used to court!

When I reported the incident, and the Garda had checked the car reg, he came back to the interview room very positive. I wondered if he was banned at the time but did not ask (would not have been told anyway). I will be told more when he's sentenced.

I am determined not to let people like him treat me like an inferior road user and think they can get away with it. Reading this thread shows how many near misses there are every day so a lot more prosecutions would go some way in helping reduce incidents.

He nearly ruined a good cycle – a very serious matter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Awaiting on dispatch of a Hero4 Session at the minute, was impressed by Peppers footage. Time to become a regular customer of Garda Information Services.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

ED E wrote: »
    Awaiting on dispatch of a Hero4 Session at the minute, was impressed by Peppers footage. Time to become a regular customer of Garda Information Services.

Where did you pick one up. Any deals going at the minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

iwillhtfu wrote: »

Got one sub ?100 that was cosmetically poor but fully functional on ebay, sans accessories. ?3 for a housing. Already have a bar mount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

LpPepper wrote: »
    I would definitely be further out from the verge, possibly even take the lane.

Taking the lane on a winding country road is suicidal IMHO. Whatever chance the driver has in avoiding a bike near the edge of the road, he is quite likely to plow into the cyclist if he/she doesn't react in time and slow down. Of course slowing down is what the driver should do but positioning yourself to prevent them passing is highly dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

iwillhtfu wrote: »

Halfords was where I got mine - the cheapest I could find...

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/cycling-technology/helmet-cameras/gopro-hero-session-camera

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Taking the lane on a winding country road is suicidal IMHO. Whatever chance the driver has in avoiding a bike near the edge of the road, he is quite likely to plow into the cyclist if he/she doesn't react in time and slow down. Of course slowing down is what the driver should do but positioning yourself to prevent them passing is highly dangerous.

Often on narrow winding/twisty country roads being positioned further out or close to the centre of the lane gives any approaching drivers a chance to see you sooner if coming around a bend. If you're tucked right into or close to the verge they will see you much later than if you stay further out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Often on narrow winding/twisty country roads being positioned further out or close to the centre of the lane gives any approaching drivers a chance to see you sooner if coming around a bend. If you're tucked right into or close to the verge they will see you much later than if you stay further out...
    In generalized would agree, but if you look at my recent video, ifi was away from the kerb , I would not be posting today.
    The driver with the loaded Nivarawould not have been able to stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Cycling down t'country yesterday I noticed that many people in big family cars gave me a wide berth (and some a wave), but people in little gold Meecras and the like practically shaved my leg for me.

Can't agree fully with this theory and it could make you more exposed to impact. I will explain. On-coming traffic approaching a moderate to sharp bend that sweeps to their right will see you sooner in the apex if you are out from the verge. The further out you are the sooner they see you. On a bend that sweeps to their left, it's the opposite, they will see you later in the apex if you are out from the verge.

If like me, you regularally see motorists cutting bends or just drifting over the far side of the road (much too common) because they are going too fast or are just crap or stupid drivers, why would you wish to roll the dice on who you will meet when you decide to take the lane? If you meet a vehicle coming around the bend and over the centre line..it could be the last decision you ever make (on a bike or off it).....

• Advertisement

I suppose the question is what are you more likely to collide with in the left hand lane on a bend, on coming traffic or traffic coming from behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Totally agree, about taking the lane at blind corners when "in the countryside" with hedges and stuff. But once around the corner, pull back in. Hopefully the car behind has seen you, and if another one is coming the other way, well you have played the odds as best you can.

I'm all for the vehicle behind me, seeing me.

ala here, here and here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Totally agree, about taking the lane at blind corners when "in the countryside" with hedges and stuff. But once around the corner, pull back in. Hopefully the car behind has seen you, and if another one is coming the other way, well you have played the odds as best you can.

I'm all for the vehicle behind me, seeing me.

ala here, here and here

People driving those roads should always expect dogs, cattle, tractors, pedestrians, cyclists etc to be just around the next bend. I've come across people with pushchairs on this type of road!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

degsie wrote: »
    People driving those roads should always expect dogs, cattle, tractors, pedestrians, cyclists etc to be just around the next bend. I've come across people with pushchairs on this type of road!

Yes they should, then I think back to my seventeen year old self.

We really need a lot more signage on our roads. Be prepared for Deer? Grand!
    I'd prefer signs for walkers rather than people cycling though. Or maybe a "Pram walker" Emotive "genderless", baby stuff. (I'm with the times tbh)

Danger and Black Spots seem to have disappeared. Actually I think "Prepare to merge" signs have even disappeared now, and we really, really need them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Maybe every few Kms we need a sign that just says 'COP ON'

• Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yes they should, then I think back to my seventeen year old self.

We really need a lot more signage on our roads. Be prepared for Deer? Grand!
    I'd prefer signs for walkers rather than people cycling though. Or maybe a "Pram walker" Emotive "genderless", baby stuff. (I'm with the times tbh)

Danger and Black Spots seem to have disappeared. Actually I think "Prepare to merge" signs have even disappeared now, and we really, really need them back.
    cjt156 wrote: »
    Maybe every few Kms we need a sign that just says 'COP ON'

They won't see signs if their head is in their phone. They won't notice signs if they are crap drivers. We need enforcement, not signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I recently cycled in Mayo on small country roads and I couldn't take the lane. I simply couldn't where drivers sight lines were limited. Tried for a few hundred metres and felt totally exposed. My speeds wouldn't be massive in fairness, mostly 30kph to 40kph (at a push!), I just felt safer closer to the ditch... where I could ditch myself if anything happened.

Drivers were simply driving cars to fast! Sorry, but fook that!

Speed limits are an issue on many roads. Its not appropriate to have a narrow twisty road at 80kph or even 100kph when large parts of the M50 are 100kph! Added to that is many motorists see the speed limit as a target speed even where it's not appropriate to drive that fast.

Am I the only one who sees the issue with the reasons for staying close to the ditch and segregated infrastructure. People are using the roads with no care or regard for others, ignoring the basic tenants of good driving. Able to stop in the space you see to be clear, giving space to other road users, giving your self good time to get where you are going. Instead of trying to change culture and hammer in enforcement, we are looking at making allowances for people who should not be allowed on the roads in a vehicle capable of such damage.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Am I the only one who sees the issue with the reasons for staying close to the ditch and segregated infrastructure. People are using the roads with no care or regard for others, ignoring the basic tenants of good driving. Able to stop in the space you see to be clear, giving space to other road users, giving your self good time to get where you are going. Instead of trying to change culture and hammer in enforcement, we are looking at making allowances for people who should not be allowed on the roads in a vehicle capable of such damage.

I agree with you. We are always being asked to allow for others who are less courteous / civil / careful / law abiding while driving but why not hammer this category? The roads will be safer for all if they would.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement