Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

technically not a near miss, as he initially gave me a good metre or metre and a half, but a rather interesting by a pass on strand road (not a wide road) by a dump truck this morning; just before the road narrows approaching the merrion gates. he was easily doing over 50, and had a full load. i've often wondered how stable a loose load is if the driver has to do a full emergency brake in one of those. i'd like to think they're designed so it doesn't sluice up over the cab.

They are meant to be under a certain height in the back so that it should not happen, alas in Ireland, this is not always the case.

Near miss this morning when a car started merging into the bus lane as I was alongside him. I let a roar and he backed off but when I looked back he was wildly gesticulating to the left. I pondered was he telling me to get in the bike lane but when we stopped and talked, I realised what he was about to say. He was turning right and thought I had jumped out of the bike lane into the bus lane to "show him" not to use it, and he was explaining he was taking the next left. I told him I was in the bus lane and he pulled across me and to be honest, scared the sh1t out of me, I wasn't giving out about the bus lane use.

He apologised, admitted fault and genuinely seemed concerned when he realised what he had done (and that he had not noticed me). In the end we parted amicably, me a bag of nerves as I was shaking like a leaf

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

44 bus on Monday at the ski club heading out of Enniskerry. Decided to overtake me while there was cars coming in the other direction. Gave the cyclist ahead of me maybe an extra inch of space.
    Forgot to complain to Dublin bus about that actually.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Two-ish for me this morning.

One was coming down Ballymun road at the Glasnevin Avenue Junction. If you want to go left, there's a filter lane with an island separating it from the bus/cycle lane. A taxi at the head of the queue decided it wanted to turn left from the other side of the Island as I am passing it. Beeped at me while I and the following taxi each gave it a WTF look.

Then a bit later a cyclist in front me nearly went into the back/side of a taxi that failed to indicate or check for traffic. This was on N. Circular just before Portland row. There's a school on Richmond Street North. Driver without checking the lane of cyclists on their left just pulled into lane. Guy in front of me got a bit of a fright. All for the saving of a few seconds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i reckon water balloons filled with easily washed off paint are in order at this point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Cycling in this morning, fellow cyclist about 10 metres in front, in the bus lane looking to filter right down morehampton road to take the right turn down waterloo road, taxi in the car lane pulls left without any warning, cyclist managed to get out of the way, cat like reflexes, taxi driver didnt give a ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

A propos my post yesterday, question....

The new rule is that a 'motorized vehicle' should give one metre gap where travelling at 50k or less.

Anyone here comfortable with an Artic truck or double decker bus overtaking at 50k per hour with a 1 metre gap?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Yes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The new rule is that a 'motorized vehicle' should give one metre gap where travelling at 50k or less.
    it's not a new rule in that it's a proposed law, not an actual law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

A propos my post yesterday, question....

Anyone here comfortable with an Artic truck or double decker bus overtaking at 50k per hour with a 1 metre gap?

My understanding of the proposed Minimum Passing Distance Law is that the overtaking distance would be 1.5m on roads where the speed limit is 50km/h and faster.

If so, the 1.5m law would still apply to 50km/h roads.

The reduced 1m distance would apply on roads with speed limits lower than 50km/h - in practice that's all the new 30km/h roads and streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Guy passed me at about 80kmph today, he was about a metre from the grass kerb, unfortunately I was in that metre space. I would say there was 20 cm between me and the wing mirror.

Will get the video up later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbqBHyYeY2M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

it would certainly make a pleasant change from the usual 1 or 2cm gap!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

my gf nearly hit a cyclist yesterday as we headed to Dundrum.

Coming up the Drummartin road (from Kilmacud) and onto Eden Park Drive, we had a green light. There was a bus to our right that was waiting to turn right. I just glimpsed a lad on a bike cycling up from the Goat direction.

GF sees light is green and is proceeding at about 40-50 kmhr.

I reckoned that guy wasn't going to stop so I told her be careful there is a bike, not sure she heard me, but of course the guy appears right in front of us (had been obscured by the bus) and gave her the fright of her life. Thankfully she had started to brake when she heard me.

I don't know if he posts on boards, but if you do, stop at the f**king red lights you clown! If it had been someone racing through the junction you would be dead now, it's really not worth it!

07Lapierre wrote: »
    it would certainly make a pleasant change from the usual 1 or 2cm gap!

I love it when you can touch them with your elbow, gives you a wonderful hint at how a Total Perspective Vortex machine works. Only you get to see how insignificant you are in the eyes of others rather than through your own.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I love it when you can touch them with your elbow, gives you a wonderful hint at how a Total Perspective Vortex machine works. Only you get to see how insignificant you are in the eyes of others rather than through your own.

I know what you mean...

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/video-intimidating-truck-merges-like-irish-club-rider-simply-isnt-there/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Driving along the Dublin south quay near the Four Courts on sunday morning last. An english BMW ahead of me in the lane to my right. We're both coasting with a red light ahead. Light changes green, both cars accelerate and the BMW is almost at the light when a lad on a bike sails across the bridge and straight out in front of the BMW. Good reactions from the driver and the car stops in a cloud of tyre smoke while bike rolls on oblivious...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Close call while driving last Sunday evening. I was approaching a traffic light at a four-way junction and I was on the minor road. The light was green for the entirety of my approach to the junction so I was driving cautiously expecting it to turn to amber at any second. The light continued green and just as I approached the stop line I noticed a car coming extremely fast from my left, along the main road. The driver of that car hit his brakes just as he hit his stop line, with his car screeching to a halt halfway across the junction.

The driver paused for a second, looked left and right, then just drove off on his merry way without even a salute or a hand of apology. I bloody well let loose on the hooter.

Had I been travelling a couple of kms faster, i.e. speeding up in anticipation of the light turning red, I would surely have been t-boned, and my OH would have taken the brunt of it in the front passenger seat. The incredible thing was that I had a green light for so long that the other car driver would have had a red light for his entire approach to the junction. Everything happened so quickly that I didn't get a number plate but it was a surreal experience.

But hey, cyclists breaking red lights are the real problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Moflojo wrote: »
    I bloody well let loose on the hooter.
    That was slang for something completely different when I was a lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Driving along the Dublin south quay near the Four Courts on sunday morning last. An english BMW ahead of me in the lane to my right. We're both coasting with a red light ahead. Light changes green, both cars accelerate and the BMW is almost at the light when a lad on a bike sails across the bridge and straight out in front of the BMW. Good reactions from the driver and the car stops in a cloud of tyre smoke while bike rolls on oblivious...

I can't say for that particular junction, but the same thing has happened to me (as the cyclist) on wide road junctions: I start crossing with the green light, and the lights for all four directions change when I'm halfway across - drivers start blaring their horns at me, thinking I'm cycling across against a red light.

Incidentally, the horn is legally for warning someone of a danger facing them, not for criticising the road use of other people. I know one's only human, but tis the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Chiparus wrote: »
    Guy passed me at about 80kmph today, he was about a metre from the grass kerb, unfortunately I was in that metre space. I would say there was 20 cm between me and the wing mirror.

Why are you on the wrong side of the road?

In the drivers defense here, he was coming around a bend and next thing he knows there was a cyclist facing him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

KeithTS wrote: »

In the drivers defense here, he was coming around a bend and next thing he knows there was a cyclist facing him.

Facepalm.

This wins dumbest comment. He is the correct side of the road, and you should be prepared for unexpected obstacles when going around bends.

• Advertisement

giphy.gif

I don't know the correct side to be on when Im cycling backwards?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Chiparus wrote: »

Wow that was a close one. If it were me and going at that speed (looks like you're climbing?) I would definitely be further out from the verge, possibly even take the lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Hmmmm? I lost you there. Please explain your theory a bit more....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

LpPepper wrote: »
    Wow that was a close one. If it were me and going at that speed (looks like you're climbing?) I would definitely be further out from the verge, possibly even take the lane.

It certainly was a close and inconsiderate pass. You should report it. Good quality footage for the Garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

R1GdNyf.gif

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    It certainly was a close and inconsiderate pass. You should report it. Good quality footage for the Garda.

Last year there was a female cyclist hit by a car at this bend, ( hit and run I believe) I have to go to Europe for a few days but I will talk the Phil Skelton when I get back about the best course to follow.

I think the driver gave himself a scare because he nearly lost it at the next bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Are you actually serious with that comment??That's why speeding is dangerous, you can't see around corners and therefore should be prepared for anything. What if there was a learner driver doing 20kph? What if there was a tail back of traffic? Or a hundred other non cycling obstacles you could encounter. Slow the F down and drive with appropriate care and attention. (And no, the cyclist wasn't facing him).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Are you actually serious with that comment??That's why speeding is dangerous, you can't see around corners and therefore should be prepared for anything. What if there was a learner driver doing 20kph? What if there was a tail back of traffic? Or a hundred other non cycling obstacles you could encounter. Slow the F down and drive with appropriate care and attention. (And no, the cyclist wasn't facing him).

I remember taking a taxi in the back arse of nowhere in Kerry one night. The type of deal where there's one driver in the town and when you call him, you either hear the background noise of a pub, or he sounds like he awoke to your phone call and he's getting dressed.

Anyway, he's belting around tiny roads with insane bends, one of the lads mentions he should probably ease off a bit, to which he replies "ah sure I know the roads, I've lived here all my life" while laughing.

Awful attitude but very difficult to change.

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I don't know if he posts on boards, but if you do, stop at the f**king red lights you clown! If it had been someone racing through the junction you would be dead now, it's really not worth it!
    I despair on that road, the number of people who just carry on regardless. no sympathy for the guy if he got hit but your GF would have to live with that. I know of two people who have had to live with others colliding with them (both speeding through junctions), and it clearly never leaves them.
    cdaly_ wrote: »
    Good reactions from the driver and the car stops in a cloud of tyre smoke while bike rolls on oblivious...
    And he won't learn alas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement