Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

There is a CLEAR lack of respect from all road users on our roads. A lot of road users seem to feel empowered when they get behind a vehicle of some description and there is little if no common decent courtesy but rather a strange sense of 'get out of my way'.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

degsie wrote: »
    I thought it interesting that you passed the stopped cars on the right and then swung left to re-position in the pedestrian crossing for going straight on or left. Why didn't you keep left and then just stop at the stop line where the first car would clearly see you?

Because on approach to the junction one or two of the cars were tucked right up against the curb so no space for me to filter on the left...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

LpPepper wrote: »
    Because the gap between the car at the front and the pedestrian crossing was too small for me to feel safe sitting at the top of the lights. A bit of space between them and myself isn't a bad thing.

Agreed for the above and the fact that cars sit right on the kerb (sometimes having just past you so borderline deliberate obstruction). I am always amazed at the number of vehicles that will pass the stop line before stopping, stop in or beyond the advance stop box for cyclists and those that keep nudging forward. Bring on safety cameras to catch those that are blind to the meaning of each colour!

As regards the video. You should report that guy. At least four rules broken:

-Passing over a continuous white
    -Ovetaking within 20m of a junction
    -Breaking a red traffic light while lit
    -Passing a green pedastrian light wile lit

These motoring marginal gains are a daily PITA. Some motorists believe they have an exemption on the ROTR, observation, basic driving skills. There are no reasons to justify any of those behaviours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Because the gap between the car at the front and the pedestrian crossing was too small for me to feel safe sitting at the top of the lights. A bit of space between them and myself isn't a bad thing.

If there isn't room for you then you shouldn't be there, simple.

Generally I stay behind the first car at the lights and leave him off unless there's an ASL which there wasn't here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

yeah this is pretty common on my commute, happened earlier this week but expected it so had slowed down.

I definitely think in the last couple of months i've encountered a large increase in motorists:

- Not paying attention
    -Not following the rules of the road
    - just not giving a ****

I find quite a lot seem to be on FBI Book or something, it's not even texts etc :(
    Because on approach to the junction one or two of the cars were tucked right up against the curb so no space for me to filter on the left...

No they weren't. Not in the clip you posted, you could easily have tootle'd up to the lights. Tootl'd. Went slowly, with care and caution.

That's not you though.

Plenty of room on the left. I am happy to be corrected by your full video.

As I said before, your arse up, head down thing won't end well.

What you are legally entitled to to do, and what's right can be far removed.

I use that road a lot, never had an issue on the left, it's very, very wide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    If there isn't room for you then you shouldn't be there, simple.

Generally I stay behind the first car at the lights and leave him off unless there's an ASL which there wasn't here.

Interesting, have you tried this in Dublin?

In my experience the following driver will want to track the "lead" driver even if that gives you no room when exiting the junction. This problem is even worse if the is car parking near the exit of the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Feckofff wrote: »
    Interesting, have you tried this in Dublin?

In my experience the following driver will want to track the "lead" driver even if that gives you no room when exiting the junction. This problem is even worse if the is car parking near the exit of the junction.

Read each situation as it arises but I often take up a 2nd in line position. Often when queueing for a right turn having a car either side adds a great buffer for close passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Tour of Louth today and there was a group nearly taken out by a northern reg jeep towing a trailer in the Colley Mountains. I was behind them and we were all travelling at about 40 kph downhill. He passed me safely and then missed a number of the group by a centimetre or two. He then started beeping at others to move out of the way. I have the reg from my rear camera but not the footage from the front camera because I must have pressed the wrong button on the camera when I changed battery at the 2 hour mark.

Then on the way back into Dundalk just after the Tain bridge I had a car pass me with about 5 centimetres to spare. Unfortunately the memory card on the rear camera was full. It was definitely deliberate as a scrote in the passenger seat stuck his head out the window looking back after it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

There appears to be a certain mentality with some cyclists and motorcyclists where they HAVE to sit ahead of traffic at junctions even if it means blocking pedestrian crossings and thereby stopping well beyond the stop line in breach of ROTR guidelines. Yes cars/buses/trucks often do not know what a stop line is or how it should be used, but for a cyclist it puts you in a much more vulnerable position.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

ED E wrote: »
    Read each situation as it arises but I often take up a 2nd in line position. Often when queueing for a right turn having a car either side adds a great buffer for close passes.

I usually do this too. Particularly if I didn't see the light turn red and can't ensure I'll make it alongside/ahead of front car on time for them to see me. If I position myself with the second or third car I can make sure they see me.

Last week, approaching a roundabout with stopped traffic, the car at the front had no indicator on so I went with them when they moved, assuming they were going straight through as I was too. They were not. They turned left and forced me to the left with them.
    Had they had their left indicator on as I approached, I would have hung back and waited for them to turn so I'd have had a clear run. Alas...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cakewheels

Tour of Louth today and there was a group nearly taken out by a northern reg jeep towing a trailer in the Colley Mountains. I was behind them and we were all travelling at about 40 kph downhill. He passed me safely and then missed a number of the group by a centimetre or two. He then started beeping at others to move out of the way. I have the reg from my rear camera but not the footage from the front camera because I must have pressed the wrong button on the camera when I changed battery at the 2 hour mark. .

Please please report this guy to traffic watch even though you don't have the evidence. I've seen other people on here saying garda have told them that they've called on someone to give them a warning even if they couldn't take it further. Also, he sounds like such a dangerous driver that he is bound to do it again to some other cyclist, and maybe having a complaint with that reg on file might help them take it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

I find quite a lot seem to be on FBI Book or something, it's not even texts etc :(

No they weren't. Not in the clip you posted, you could easily have tootle'd up to the lights. Tootl'd. Went slowly, with care and caution.

That's not you though.

Plenty of room on the left. I am happy to be corrected by your full video.

As I said before, your arse up, head down thing won't end well.

What you are legally entitled to to do, and what's right can be far removed.

I use that road a lot, never had an issue on the left, it's very, very wide.

Get a life and stop trolling me, seriously. It's becoming tiring at this stage.

A word of advice for you - streaming live to Facebook with your mobile phone while cycling is illegal as far as I know? Maybe you should consider that next time you're out on the bike. You know, since your the Jesus of doing everything legally correct and of being safety conscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

degsie wrote: »
    There appears to be a certain mentality with some cyclists and motorcyclists where they HAVE to sit ahead of traffic at junctions even if it means blocking pedestrian crossings and thereby stopping well beyond the stop line in breach of ROTR guidelines. Yes cars/buses/trucks often do not know what a stop line is or how it should be used, but for a cyclist it puts you in a much more vulnerable position.

Yes every junction should have an ASL for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

A word of advice for you - streaming live to Facebook with your mobile phone while cycling is illegal as far as I know? Maybe you should consider that next time you're out on the bike. You know, since your the Jesus of doing everything legally correct and of being safety conscious.

Unless you are holding the phone, it's not even illegal to live stream on Facebook while driving (offences are for holding a phone, and more recently sending SMS/MMS/email), so would be surprised if it's an issue while cycling. In fact the legislation makes specific reference to mobile phone use while driving a mechanically propelled vehicle: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2014/si/178/made/en/pdf and http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2006/act/23/section/3/enacted/en/html#sec3

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Like most ive had my fair share of close calls that i wouldnt normally post about but this morning was the closet in a long time.
    Just coming out of Rathangan heading home to Monasterevin coming up the hill past the crossroads i was overtaken by a car as two cars on the opposite were approaching with the oncoming car flashing at the car overtaking me,that was bad enough but three more yes 3 more decided to overtake me with the last one literally 2 inches from my handlebar and i had to jam on the brakes otherwise she would have hit my front wheel as she swerved across infront of me.
    At this stage both cars on the oppposite side were flashing lights beeping horns and stopped shaking their heads at what they just witnessed.
    I was physically shaking with the fright and anger.
    I roll on over the hill and notice the vw golf which was the main culprit had pulled into a house to my left as you crest the hill.
    I was going to ignore her by then said feck im gonna challenge her so i stopped at the gate, out she gets with a phone in one hand and a cigarette in the other.
    I asked was she trying to run run me off the road back there which she responded with "do i look like i care?" turned on her heels and into the house all the while still yapping on the phone :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Dcully wrote: »
    Like most ive had my fair share of close calls that i wouldnt normally post about but this morning was the closet in a long time.
    Just coming out of Rathangan heading home to Monasterevin coming up the hill past the crossroads i was overtaken by a car as two cars on the opposite were approaching with the oncoming car flashing at the car overtaking me,that was bad enough but three more yes 3 more decided to overtake me with the last one literally 2 inches from my handlebar and i had to jam on the brakes otherwise she would have hit my front wheel as she swerved across infront of me.
    At this stage both cars on the oppposite side were flashing lights beeping horns and stopped shaking their heads at what they just witnessed.
    I was physically shaking with the fright and anger.
    I roll on over the hill and notice the vw golf which was the main culprit had pulled into a house to my left as you crest the hill.
    I was going to ignore her by then said feck im gonna challenge her so i stopped at the house entrance, out she gets with a phone in one hand and a cigarette in the other.
    I asked was she trying to run run me off the road back there which she responded with "do i look like i care?" turned on her heels and into the house all the while still yapping on the phone :mad:
    Get a helmetcam - then she'll care.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Never mind. Report it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He didn't say he was streaming live or I'm missing something.

I think he also has a point. Your videos show appalling driving, but they also show some fairly self entitled road use from yourself.

If you can't filter on the left of some cars, you should be hanging back in the line of traffic anyway

Either way,that driver should be reported for all sorts of reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Reported a close incident recently, video was a great help getting a result.

You did not say if you have the reg, but I think you know where you can get it? If so, I would report her. Appaling attitude before, during and most definitely after the incident. Who wants to share the roads with people like this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I was going to ignore her by then said feck im gonna challenge her so i stopped at the gate, out she gets with a phone in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

So full of charm and mannerliness. Maybe you should ring TrafficWatch and describe it exactly as you have here. Meanwhile, helmetcam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Had one of them a few years back - overtook me while I was signalling right, drawing up along side me, into an oncoming car. All to join a red light queue. Stopped to have a word and she said "excuse me, what did you say", while pressing the up the button on her window.

Well, I was furious and made a formal written statement at the next station I passed. I guess I had the last laugh when the guard who took it up said they called to her abode at 7am on a Saturday morning with a squad car to deliver a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Had a close-ish call there half an hour ago - was turning right from Drumoncdra Rd onto Clonliffe Rd - in the 'turning right' lane. Lights change to green, I am waiting for feeder light to turn right so I have traffic going opposite directions on either side of me. I was first in the lane, no cars behind me - feeling fairly vulnerable

First vehicle to pass to my right is a Guinness truck heading towards town.

Now - one would think by positioning myself in the middle of the lane I would be perfectly safe on either side - but No. Guinness truck drives past me with one wheel (rhs) fully in my lane - I wouldn't have said it was 'encroaching' on my lane - it was fully in my lane, and I would think I was less than a metre away, stood there on the bike.

I've no doubt if there was a car waiting behind me, this wouldn't have happened.

Some DBag completely cut the corner in front of me coming into Terenure, when up the right turning lane then went left directly in front of me, zero indication. 06 TN plate but didnt get the end unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

ED E wrote: »
    DBag
    Was this in America? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Had a bit of a startle today: a flatback truck came down the road towards me and turned the corner, its back wheels coming closer and closer to me as I cycled in the opposite direction.

However much of a scare I got, I think the driver got a worse one from the way he stood on the brakes mid-turn.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I will update when it's been through court in a few weeks...

This was a near miss/careless or wreckless driving case from over a year ago. He also told me he could have me shot! Not a nice guy to encounter while cycling on your own...

Driver pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of Careless Driving rather than Driving Without Due Care and Attention with my consent (strange to be consulted, but nice too). He was also up for other road traffic related offences and this shaped my decision. According to the Garda, he is definitely facing a ban and most likely prison. He will be sentenced for this conviction when the other cases are heard. A fine and points I believe.

The Gardai said they want to get this guy off the road for a while. He has been banned before. He did not turn up for the last hearing and a warrant was issued. Cool and unfazed by the whole thing. My gut at the time was this guy is dangerous and should not be on the road.

Always report incidents if you get details of the vehicle. They all stack up and gives the Garda a reason to seek a prosecution when there is a pattern.

Great work Kaiser. If only I could believe a driving ban would actually take him off the road..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    This was a near miss/careless or wreckless driving case from over a year ago. He also told me he could have me shot! Not a nice guy to encounter while cycling on your own...

Was it Michael O'Leary?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

technically not a near miss, as he initially gave me a good metre or metre and a half, but a rather interesting by a pass on strand road (not a wide road) by a dump truck this morning; just before the road narrows approaching the merrion gates. he was easily doing over 50, and had a full load. i've often wondered how stable a loose load is if the driver has to do a full emergency brake in one of those. i'd like to think they're designed so it doesn't sluice up over the cab.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement