Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

You are being very fair to him. He should not blindly follow others. Just because it's safe for one or two, does not make it safe for him. Personally I am tired of being safely passed by one motorist only for two or more cars to come though without knowing if it's possible to do so safely.

ED E wrote: »
    He just did. Either his vision isnt good enough to drive or he wasnt looking which is easily a charge of DC&A.

Sorry you are right, but if he says he seen him it's worse for him. Careless driving – Driving without due Care and Dangerous Driving in that order of seriousness. The first is penalty points and a small fine, the others can be a ban on conviction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    You are being very fair to him. He should not blindly follow others. Just because it's safe for one or two, does not make it safe for him. Personally I am tired of being safely passed by one motorist only for two or more cars to come though without knowing if it's possible to do so safely.

I'm not trying to be magnanimous or fair to the guy at all. I just believe him when he says he didn't see me, not that that should be a valid excuse.

He shouldn't have followed and I'm glad that he was pulled over, I was asked by the Garda if I wanted to follow this through and I said yes.

I'm sick of it too, I had read the situation and had my fingers on the brakes in case he did make the turn, had I not I'd be in the hospital now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BTW on the bell front, using something a little louder is great for attracting Gardai to somebody's stupidity even if technically not a bell ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Got myself a nice nudge on the back wheel today from some fool who can't use his mirrors.

Top of Smithfield at the junction, planning to go straight ahead essentially crossing the street, this looper decides to shape as if to turn right but there is no right at that junction so I decided to hang back a second to see what he does. Low and behold he turns left in a big sweeping arc, proceeded with caution after him. However our friendly goon was clearly intending on turning right there as he stopped and started reversing. Clipped the back wheel, stayed upright and no damage to the bike (those singlespeeds appear to be bombproof).

Needless to say I stopped and gave him the bollocking of his life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

amcalester wrote: »
    Yeah, but to be honest I wish he'd just been more observant and waited until I had passed through the junction.

He told the Garda that he didn't see me but I was wearing hi-vis so not sure how that's possible.

Maybe the Garda could tell his colleagues that high-viz isn't the panacea they seem to think it is. (Launch of bike Week at Store St last week) and then maybe they could tell the RSA (ditto last week Moyagh Murdock) there's none so blind.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Maybe the Garda could tell his colleagues that high-viz isn't the panacea they seem to think it is. (Launch of bike Week at Store St last week) and then maybe they could tell the RSA (ditto last week Moyagh Murdock) there's none so blind.............

I'll mention it to her if/when she gets in touch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Had one/two on Saturday. On a charity spin and it was partially on the course of the Munster TT near Patrickswell in Limerick. Loads of cyclists about, and signs and us on our spin too.

As i was going through the town a van pulled out from a car park right in front of me. It slowed then, then took off. It moved a bit to the right of the lane and continued on. I stayed behind a bit to see if it was turning left again. Still it continued to veer to the right of the lane. I wrongly took this as a chance to proceed past it when it went to turn left without indicating and just about contorted myself and bike enough to avoid him.

I am convinced he was waiting for me to go by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Another driver has to get to the end of the next line of traffic faster!

Note the "L" plates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9urGmxINgPM

He got stuck just the other side of the roundabout , but I was turning right off the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Chiparus wrote: »
    Another driver has to get to the end of the next line of traffic faster!

Note the "L" plates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9urGmxINgPM

He got stuck just the other side of the roundabout , but I was turning right off the roundabout.
    This video is unavailable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Given the recent road deaths, and the common incendiary media commentary concerning cyclists, it seems strange that the RSA have not released a campaign aimed at alerting motorists to cyclist safety. Maybe one of those classic motor crash style ads could be used to show a cyclist being rear ended around a bend or cut across at a junction? Graphic, human, traumatic; it's what people respond to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Given the recent road deaths, and the common incendiary media commentary concerning cyclists, it seems strange that the RSA have not released a campaign aimed at alerting motorists to cyclist safety. Maybe one of those classic motor crash style ads could be used to show a cyclist being rear ended around a bend or cut across at a junction? Graphic, human, traumatic; it's what people respond to.

There has been some comments by individuals on the rsa
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/drivers-do-not-own-the-road-450174.html

But this would run contrary to the RSA trying to force cyclists onto unsafe cycle lanes : i.e. "Drivers do own the road"
    https://lovindublin.com/news/cyclists-could-soon-be-restricted-only-to-cycle-lanes-in-dublin

clearly RSA are unsure what they mean by "share the road"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Chiparus wrote: »
    There has been some comments by individuals on the rsa
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/drivers-do-not-own-the-road-450174.html

But this would run contrary to the RSA trying to force cyclists onto unsafe cycle lanes : i.e. "Drivers do own the road"
    https://lovindublin.com/news/cyclists-could-soon-be-restricted-only-to-cycle-lanes-in-dublin

clearly RSA are unsure what they mean by "share the road"
    Compulsory use of cycle lanes in the city is absurd.

My point was that the RSA should release one of those "shall I tell you about my life" ads they often run for RTAs, but involving a cyclist(s), maybe a child on the back of the bike, and subsequent life changing injuries or death. Something to get people thinking and talking. At the moment, the discourse consists of divisive cyclists v drivers nonsense, fuelled by the media, and certain irresponsible radio presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Coming through Ranelagh this morning towards town and my front wheel goes through the lights just as they start to turn amber. I never break lights and will always stop if they hit amber just as I am arriving, even if technically I could still sail through like the reams of cars and other cyclists that tend to!

Usually in those cases where I have just made it through before an amber, I am buffered by a couple of cars breaking the amber and sometimes a red, but it was early so I was the last bit of traffic making my way through with a side road up ahead with two lanes of traffic waiting to come out right and left. The two cars waiting had already nudged out into the bike lane so before I arrive there I move out slightly anyway but one of them still continues to move out, eyes locked on me, can see me coming but is not planning to stop.

Old bint with a terribly bad dye job and a big fancy car!

She then rolls down her window a tiny bit and tells me that I broke the light. I explained that I hadn't and she tells me I had. At this stage I am in front of her car and she is inching closer and closer. We repeat the same lines a few more times each until she obviously tires of having to converse with such a peasant and starts to roll her window back up, with a parting 'get a car' :rolleyes:

So I called her a silly old b*tch - not my finest moment, but it was early, I was grumpy and she WAS one, and went on my merry way!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think the most likely response to such a campaign would be to give up cycling.

I don't think the smashed-glass-and-graves ads really do make people think all that differently. Sensitive people already drive responsibly, and oafs never think these things apply to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Vel wrote: »

Old bint with a terribly bad dye job and a big fancy car!

So I called her a silly old b*tch - not my finest moment, but it was early, I was grumpy and she WAS one, and went on my merry way!

OEfMosE.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

That's dangerous driving at speed. Never yielded before merging

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Doctor Bob wrote: »

Piss poor response from the bobbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Has this been posted already?

"Fuuuuuuh....." - my reaction when watching that.

You know when you've seen so many of these videos and you reckon you know what's going to happen, and then something even more ludicrous happens?! I was watching it with my 'Robocop' vision on, scanning and identifying potential suspects, and then that crazy lethal driver comes out of nowhere. I think I'd have been going for a quick sit down in the grass verge after that one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Look at the guys Twitter feed, a day or two later at the same roundabout an artic pulls right in front of him causing him to have to stop on the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Moflojo wrote: »
    "Fuuuuuuh....." - my reaction when watching that.

You know when you've seen so many of these videos and you reckon you know what's going to happen, and then something even more ludicrous happens?! I was watching it with my 'Robocop' vision on, scanning and identifying potential suspects, and then that crazy lethal driver comes out of nowhere. I think I'd have been going for a quick sit down in the grass verge after that one.

My reaction exactly. I got to about the 18th second and thought 'He's being over sensitive, none of those cars went particularly close', then HOLY SHIIII!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,585 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

You need to train that dog to identify potential near misses and bark accordingly!

My reaction exactly. I got to about the 18th second and thought 'He's being over sensitive, none of those cars went particularly close', then HOLY SHIIII!!

Exactly what I was thinking ...waiting for the money shot and then back, never seen that coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The dog can type and post videos wow.... I know it was close but at least no speed involved.

I'd subscribe to his channel just to watch that dogs head bobbing around.

The dog can type and post videos wow.... I know it was close but at least no speed involved.

A similar video in the dash camera thread but with the video from a car would have about a million thanks and a posse forming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I'd subscribe to his channel just to watch that dogs head bobbing around.

that dog is brilliant! the guy has posted a video before of the dog running along the seafront by clontarf and right along alfie byrne road while he cycles nearby. i passed him this morning at the end of the cycle path on alfie byrne road, just as the dog was obediently hopping back in :D :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

ThisRegard wrote: »
    A similar video in the dash camera thread but with the video from a car would have about a million thanks and a posse forming.

Ah will ya stop I was in no way saying it was OK.

Just both were hardly moving at all. So if there was a tip it would be minimal unless he was ran over of course.

People make mistakes in all vehicles and walking and just in general.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement