Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

:confused:
    He follows them round hoping they shed some of their load.....:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

LpPepper wrote: »
    It's bad enough for him to try drive off and leave you injured but then to blame it on you....
    he may have just been looking for an excuse to leave before the gardai arrived. if someone broke your window and you did truly believe they were in the wrong, why would you not hang around to try to seek redress?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Beasty wrote: »
    He follows them round hoping they shed some of their load.....:pac:
    stop egging him on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

he may have just been looking for an excuse to leave before the gardai arrived. if someone broke your window and you did truly believe they were in the wrong, why would you not hang around to try to seek redress?

Even if he hadn't been to blame, you need to be a fairly awful human being to be willing to just drive off and leave someone like that.

Sullivlo, best of luck in the recovery. For the fact they tried driving off, I hope that other person gets royally shafted

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

Weepsie wrote: »
    Even if he hadn't been to blame, you need to be a fairly awful human being to be willing to just drive off and leave someone like that.

Sullivlo, best of luck in the recovery. For the fact they tried driving off, I hope that other person gets royally shafted

Probably no tax, insurance, NCT, learner driver etc etc.

It is probably worth trying to driving away if it saves a multi year driving ban and a trip to court.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

He was a non-national and it was a left hand drive car. He had no tax/insurance displayed but that may be a different requirement elsewhere? He was living and working in Dublin though, and I overheard the garda tell discuss how he was meant to have re-registered the car in Ireland. I don't know what happened with him in the end as the gardai said I needed the hospital (gash on my arm was bleeding badly) and made me get into an ambulance. He was still there when I got into the ambulance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

sullivlo wrote: »
    He was a non-national and it was a left hand drive car. He had no tax/insurance displayed but that may be a different requirement elsewhere? He was living and working in Dublin though, and I overheard the garda tell discuss how he was meant to have re-registered the car in Ireland. I don't know what happened with him in the end as the gardai said I needed the hospital (gash on my arm was bleeding badly) and made me get into an ambulance. He was still there when I got into the ambulance though.

As an FYI, some countries are not required to display tax and/or insurance. Here in the UK, up until last year you only had to display car tax certificates as the insurance is against you the driver, not the car. They have since abolished the issuing and display of tax discs now relying on number plate recognition systems in police cars & static positions, etc.

I'd be quick to follow up on the driver's insurance details lest he try to "go away on holiday for a few months" and/or lose his mobile phone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

:confused:

A name given to 7 or 9 seater cars, as parents tend to buy them as their family begins to expand exponentially. It is hard to tell whether they buy the car and then feel the need to fill it to get value for money, or if they buy the car knowing they are going to fill it. Unsure if the owning of this type of truck is causative of large families or just correlated.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Not a "near-miss" but could have been a near miss had the driver attempt this a few seconds earlier or later...

Sitting at the lights and the green man comes on, next of all this Fiat van comes down behind me on the wrong side of the road overtaking stopped traffic and rolls up beside me, then just drives straight through the pedestrian lights.

Worth reporting? Whole family including kids in the van (7 seater thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Not a "near-miss" but could have been a near miss had the driver attempt this a few seconds earlier or later...

Sitting at the lights and the green man comes on, next of all this Fiat van comes down behind me on the wrong side of the road overtaking stopped traffic and rolls up beside me, then just drives straight through the pedestrian lights.

Yes worth reporting, that's a shocker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

CramCycle wrote: »
    A name given to 7 or 9 seater cars, as parents tend to buy them as their family begins to expand exponentially. It is hard to tell whether they buy the car and then feel the need to fill it to get value for money, or if they buy the car knowing they are going to fill it. Unsure if the owning of this type of truck is causative of large families or just correlated.
    I've always just called them kuntwagons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

That's worse than the clown that I encountered yesterday evening along here. Traffic was backed up from the level crossing south of this point to well past the junction. The crossing had just opened (I had been stopped at it myself and was at the front of the traffic heading north from it) and the southbound traffic was going to clear, but one chump decides he can't wait, and proceed to drive on the wrong side of the road, to overtake and make a left turn.

I had to slow before the junction because otherwise he was going to go head on into me. Sure I'm only a cyclist and he gave me a wave at me though, so that makes it alright, yeah? Oh, and the lights were green, so at least he has the moral high ground over all us RLJ-ing cyclists.....

I'll admit to flipping him the bird in return for this wave, as a sarcastic wave of my own ran too much risk of being confused with being genuine!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

cython wrote: »
    That's worse than the clown that I encountered yesterday evening along here. Traffic was backed up from the level crossing south of this point to well past the junction. The crossing had just opened (I had been stopped at it myself and was at the front of the traffic heading north from it) and the southbound traffic was going to clear, but one chump decides he can't wait, and proceed to drive on the wrong side of the road, to overtake and make a left turn.

I had to slow before the junction because otherwise he was going to go head on into me. Sure I'm only a cyclist and he gave me a wave at me though, so that makes it alright, yeah? Oh, and the lights were green, so at least he has the moral high ground over all us RLJ-ing cyclists.....

I'll admit to flipping him the bird in return for this wave, as a sarcastic wave of my own ran too much risk of being confused with being genuine!

Blanchardstown shopping center is near here, so probably a good reason. Maybe it was closing soon or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

That's crazy, obnoxious, or both. Report the fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

How many cars did you pass on the right to get up the front? I could only see three in the video, and I was wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Report that driver is dangerous.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

cython wrote: »

I cycle this way on my commute. I've had some awful numpties along here riled up from waiting at the level crossing.

Earlier this week as I was approaching the lights at the north end of this road and I was pretty far ahead of the trailing traffic (I managed to beat the previous light). I checked behind me and moved out to prepare to stop at the red lights for turning right when a red Yaris shot past me and immediately slammed on the brakes and stuck on the handbrake. I went past and gave the driver a WTF look not that she noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

had 2 bad ones this evening on my way home. strangely enough i rarely have them and had 3 in 1 day after my campervan incident this morning.

and all of them happened while my front camera was out of battery!

How many cars did you pass on the right to get up the front? I could only see three in the video, and I was wondering.

Probably 4 or 5, why what difference does it make?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Probably 4 or 5, why what difference does it make?

I was wondering the same - to know how many cars the minivan would have passed before breaking the red light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

sullivlo wrote: »
    I got hit this morning. Or rather had a collision. Traffic was at a standstill but I had a green light so I kept going. Car was turning right and no matter how hard I braked I couldn't stop. Hit him side on. Arm went through the window. Helmet dented his door and I took a few knocks.

He tried to drive away and refused to give me his details so I called the gardai. They arrived and were very helpful. They called an ambulance for me as I had a nasty gash on my arm. And they kept my (now mangled) bike.

Needed X-ray to rule out neck injury and to rule out a fractured arm. Came back clear so just needed some stitches. But I'm in agony now that the adrenaline has worn off. Every part of me aches.

I'm so lucky that I was wearing a helmet. I'm marked on my head but it's okay, but I wouldn't like to think what would happen if I had no helmet on.

Sorry to hear about that. Hope you are feeling better or at least no worse. Injuries can become sorer for a few days. The motorist was a fool-literally. Failure to remain at the scene of an accident is an offence - as is refusing to give personal details/insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Just as an observation, why didn't you stop at the 'stop' line at the junction, rather than straddle the pedestrian crossing? Yes, that van driver was a numpty.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Lambretta

Outside Vincent's Hospital approaching Merrion Road 12.45 pm today - very dangerous strip in general - very close shades with a lot of taxis there down through the years. (No disrespect to the many very good taxi drivers)
    Car with N plate came with in centimetres of me bizarrely with a Garda car directly behind her - the clown then swerved into and took over the bike lane outside St Michaels school.
    On her phone texting perhaps ... like the many drivers I noticed today doing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

Bit of a brown trousers moment on the club spin this morning, we were coming out of Ballybrittas on the old N7 with a good tailwind behind us, there was a black BMW behind, right up our hole TBH, once we cleared the traffic calming he floored it and came up outside us, just as he did a silver BMW came out of a housing estate at speed without stopping and turned up to face him, good job the road is reasonably wide, they just about missed each other and us, could have been carnage.....

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.1105853,-7.1334756,3a,75y,50.23h,72.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHoR0t8JiH6k1aLMCsI92Sg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Danbo! wrote: »
    This really worries me. Had the same experience. It's not inconsiderate driving, but just ignorance to the ROTR. They're convinced they're right and I'm not sure how you can ever get through to these people. Sure people make mistakes all the time and maybe hold their hands up, there's a lot of ignorance out there. RSA campaigns and ads etc probably don't grab their attention as they think they're right.

Sometimes I worry if I am doing something wrong but I'm convinced im right too!

In a thread in the motoring forum recently. I had to force myself to stop going in as they were all saying the cyclist would be in the wrong in this situation as the cyclist is 'undertaking' the stopped line of traffic. :rolleyes:

I tried explaining what undertaking is, but they didn't seem to understand.

link?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

degsie wrote: »
    Just as an observation, why didn't you stop at the 'stop' line at the junction, rather than straddle the pedestrian crossing? Yes, that van driver was a numpty.

I would hazard a guess that they did so for visibililty purposes. Depending on how far forward to the line (or over the line/cycle box as the case may be ... ) the traffic has stopped I will sit a little further forward so that I am forward of any blind-spots and clearly visible in front of them. Too many drivers simply do not look as they move off from junctions, and it only gets worse when you factor in the crotch-gazers who realise in a moment of panic that the lights have gone green before they noticed the change and rush to move off, assuming that the world has stood entirely still in all that time.

degsie wrote: »

Because the gap between the car at the front and the pedestrian crossing was too small for me to feel safe sitting at the top of the lights. A bit of space between them and myself isn't a bad thing.

Lemming wrote: »
    I would hazard a guess that they did so for visibililty purposes. Depending on how far forward to the line (or over the line/cycle box as the case may be ... ) the traffic has stopped I will sit a little further forward so that I am forward of any blind-spots and clearly visible in front of them. Too many drivers simply do not look as they move off from junctions, and it only gets worse when you factor in the crotch-gazers who realise in a moment of panic that the lights have gone green before they noticed the change and rush to move off, assuming that the world has stood entirely still in all that time.

This.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Because the gap between the car at the front and the pedestrian crossing was too small for me to feel safe sitting at the top of the lights. A bit of space between them and myself isn't a bad thing.

I thought it interesting that you passed the stopped cars on the right and then swung left to re-position in the pedestrian crossing for going straight on or left. Why didn't you keep left and then just stop at the stop line where the first car would clearly see you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement