Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Martin McGuinness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,918 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Jawgap wrote: »
    Except, she wasn't the first child killed in the Troubles - but you know this because you already have access to CAIN.

.....and of course the 'RA don't paint murals :rolleyes: - but let's be pedantic, does anyone supportive of the 'RA paint murals commemorating kids in NI killed by the 'RA?

......and the broken rifle was a later addition - originally it was whole but it was rendered broken to reflect the lack of progress in the peace process at the time - so despite the absence of flags, its arguable the broken rifle is a political statement - in other words, propaganda.

It seems to be becoming a habit you guys can't avoid - shooting yourself in the foot - inadvertently calling attention to the gulf between how far republican communities have come and their loyalist counterparts in your efforts to point the finger at one side.

The whole mural project in Derry is focused on removing the provocative elements they had during the conflict.
    Instead of noticing how this commemorative mural is devoid of 'RA symbolism and is instead an overt statement about peace and the tragedy of conflict/war you think instead of a cheap joke about Bobby Sands.

In your 'extensive' research take a look at the murals still proudly displayed in loyalist areas and get back to us about 'propaganda'.

*As far as I know she was the first child to die in Derry, if that is wrong, spit out why it wrong, it is too depressing to trawl through the names of civillian children killed on any side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

It seems to be becoming a habit you guys can't avoid - shooting yourself in the foot - inadvertently calling attention to the gulf between how far republican communities have come and their loyalist counterparts in your efforts to point the finger at one side.

The whole mural project in Derry is focused on removing the provocative elements they had during the conflict.
    Instead of noticing how this commemorative mural is devoid of 'RA symbolism and is instead an overt statement about peace and the tragedy of conflict/war you think instead of a cheap joke about Bobby Sands.

In your 'extensive' research take a look at the murals still proudly displayed in loyalist areas and get back to us about 'propaganda'.

*As far as I know she was the first child to die in Derry, if that is wrong, spit out why it wrong, it is too depressing to trawl through the names of civillian children killed on any side.

Who?

Anyway, better to be shot in the foot than the knees ;)

Btw, the murals, as statements whether political, social or cultural, have always impressed me - even if the sentiment in a lot of them, especially the loyalist ones, are viscerally objectionable.

Btw, I take it the answer to my original question is 'no' - given the amount of distraction that has gone on since I asked it.

Who?

Anyway, better to be shot in the foot than the knees ;)

Btw, the murals, as statements whether political, social or cultural, have always impressed me - even if the sentiment in a lot of them, especially the loyalist ones, are viscerally objectionable.

Btw, I take it the answer to my original question is 'no' - given the amount of distraction that has gone on since I asked it.

I think somebody who would use the death of a child, no matter how long ago it was, to make a joke and then try to cheaply and sadistically capitalise on it again to be frankly in need of some help.

I think somebody who would use the death of a child, no matter how long ago it was, to make a joke and then try to cheaply and sadistically capitalise on it again to be frankly in need of some help.

Well, if you want to interpret as a joke, be my guest - personally I saw it as a joke at Bobby Sands' expense.....and I'm getting enough help at the moment ;)

Well, if you want to interpret as a joke, be my guest - personally I saw it as a joke at Bobby Sands' expense.....and I'm getting enough help at the moment ;)

Yeh, you seem to like making jokes about the dead of one side and it isn't important to you whose memory you defile.
    Carry on Jawgap, you will soon have no feet left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

The mural is of Annette McGavigan and you did make a joke of Annette McGavigan. No amount of smileys is going to change that for you.

The mural is of Annette McGavigan and you did make a joke of Annette McGavigan. No amount of smileys is going to change that for you.

He used two dead people to make a joke, on an RIP thread. Takes one hell of a blinkered, closed mind to pull something like that.
    More revealing than was intended maybe.

Yeh, you seem to like making jokes about the dead of one side and it isn't important to you whose memory you defile.
    Carry on Jawgap, you will soon have no feet left.

Not really, it was just an observation about Sands.

Defiling memory? Is that even possible?

I know there's a certain dogma/orthodoxy associated with the different communities and that's not something I have problem with - it's yet another manifestation of the total zoo NI is.....hopefully one of the few benefits to emerge from Brexit will be us in the Republic being more insulated from the crap that goes on there. I'm not sure how concepts of 'memory defilement' sit in a modern republic and I'm not sure it's worth us spending the money to find out.

Not really, it was just an observation about Sands.

I would advise you just to leave it Jawgap. Seriously, not classy.

Well I never claimed to be classy :D - classy where I'm from is using a spoon for your soup!

But yes, I understand why shinners like to shut down debate and discussion - it's there natural reaction to 'memory defilement' (as if memories can only ever be pure and singular) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Time to unfollow

This is just tedious now

No, I thought it was a Bobby Sands mural - that's why I asked about the skirt.

Until her name was mentioned I had no idea it was the Annette McGavigan so how could I have made a joke about her :confused:

Between this and the concept of "memory defilement" Shinners really are into the whole concept of thought crime........

Well I never claimed to be classy :D - classy where I'm from is using a spoon for your soup!

But yes, I understand why shinners like to shut down debate and discussion - it's there natural reaction to 'memory defilement' (as if memories can only ever be pure and singular) :D

Well, forgive me for thinking that the memory of a child is still pure and singular (she was an innocent child)

No Jawgap, you used an image that everyone could see was a young girl and made a cheap connection to an image of a hunger striker in his last days.

Now you want to deflect to other issues you say you were trying to raise.

You weren't. Full stop.
    And no, I don't want to debate the extra issues you subsequently raised to deflect from your revealing gaff.

Start a new thread if you want to 'debate and discuss'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Whereas inveterate support for a crowd who actually blew kids to smithereens lends one a real air of gravitas & integrity.

He used two dead people to make a joke, on an RIP thread. Takes one hell of a blinkered, closed mind to pull something like that.
    More revealing than was intended maybe.

Well, not the first time I'ever been found out to completely unoriginal, given I wasn't the first one to make a joke on this thread.......

What do you expect? The IRA nearly killed his wife in the Brighton bombing and left her permanently paralysed. He was badly injured too and was dug out from the rubble in full view of the TV cameras. It's ghoulish to expect of him that he harbour any kind thoughts towards the IRA or its senior commanders.

He's entitled to his feelings.

Mind you, so are the many people in working class communities, especially mining communities, who were devastated by the policies of the Thatcher government of which he was the most unapologetic member of cabinet. Very much a "dry" rather than a "wet" Tory.

When he goes there will be more than a bit of "good riddance to the bastard" being voiced. And most of it will be in English accents. Indeed it was from (several) English people that I heard the joke sequence:
    "What do you call a Welshman with a seagull on his head?
    Cliff
    What do you call an Englishman with a hotel on his head?
    Norman Tebbitt"
    Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Soldiers fathering entire families linked to suspected IRA members while "on deployment".

Cant be to sure if he's in the RA? Well he does have a sister so its time to take one for Queen and Country and get you're weapon out..

100 percent taxpayer funded. Got to give it to the Brits, they're pragmatic at the very least.

......but once again we find Shinners are selective in their outrage :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

No, I thought it was a Bobby Sands mural - that's why I asked about the skirt.

Until her name was mentioned I had no idea it was the Annette McGavigan so how could I have made a joke about her :confused:

Between this and the concept of "memory defilement" Shinners really are into the whole concept of thought crime........

Let me get this straight.

You thought there was a mural, of Bobby Sands, wearing a skirt, on Free Derry Corner. :confused:

C'mon now.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Whereas inveterate support for a crowd who actually blew kids to smithereens lends one a real air of gravitas & integrity.

Well, accepting and agreeing that they were tragic and avoidable deaths that never should have happened hardly makes me a 'supporter of those deaths. And believing trenchantly that they are never ever to be the subject of somebody's attempts at cheap humour certainly makes me feel a better person than the one that just had a cheap jibe.

But you can make your own decision about that.

Well, not the first time I'ever been found out to completely unoriginal, given I wasn't the first one to make a joke on this thread.......

......but once again we find Shinners are selective in their outrage :rolleyes:

I had no idea what that post meant at the time and still don't tbh.

Keep deflecting Jawgap.
    Sometimes it is better just to apologise or even delete the post.

* It is always evident that Jawgap has boxed himself into a corner when he starts using the 'Shinner' tag. Priceless really. :)

Let me get this straight.

You thought there was a mural, of Bobby Sands, wearing a skirt, on Free Derry Corner. :confused:

C'mon now.

Well I dind't know it was Free Derry Corner (how would I from the photo?) - I do now having gone off and read a bit about the mural.

Why wouldn't Sands be celebrated in vicinity of Free Derry Corner anyway? I'm sure there's some tribal reason that makes perfect sense up there, but totally defies logic for any other society that has progress beyond 1800.

Keep deflecting Jawgap.

I'm not deflecting, simply pointing out that others have made jokes on this thread but there seems to be no objection to them......

.....surely Shinners agree that we should have no hierarchy of jokes?

• Advertisement

I'm not deflecting, simply pointing out that others have made jokes on this thread but there seems to be no objection to them......

Somebody else used a picture of a dead child to make a joke? I don't think so.

Somebody else used a picture of a dead child to make a joke? I don't think so.

Pity Shinner sensitivity doesn't extend to actually not killing kids in the same it seems to be disturbed by mention of them when they are used on a mural.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Keep deflecting Jawgap.

Don't apologize.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Re: The Death of Innocence: Annette McGavigan
    Don't apologize.

So you agree with using a dead child to make a joke?

Re: The Death of Innocence: Annette McGavigan

So you agree with using a dead child to make a joke?

Would you agree that concern for children should extend to reporting abuse in a very timely fashion if/when you become aware of it?

Pity Shinner sensitivity doesn't extend to actually not killing kids in the same it seems to be disturbed by mention of them when they are used on a mural.

At least A Little Pony is here to give you some back up.
    I will leave you to it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

sake lads, drop it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

Keep deflecting Jawgap.

* It is always evident that Jawgap has boxed himself into a corner when he starts using the 'Shinner' tag. Priceless really. :)
    inreresting, as i got a pm and a wrap on the knuckles for useing that term, does the same justice apply to all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

Would you agree that concern for children should extend to reporting abuse in a very timely fashion if/when you become aware of it?

Ministry of Defence says sorry for killing of Majella O'Hare | UK news | The Guardian

• Advertisement

flutered wrote: »
    inreresting, as i got a pm and a wrap on the knuckles for useing that term, does the same justice apply to all

I just borrowed it from Gerry

https://twitter.com/gerryadamssf/status/614780923586981889

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement