Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Martin McGuinness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

He has done a lot of good that some people won't give recognition for. RIP.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

RIP

Worked for the better good of the country upto a matter of weeks before he died :(

He had no retirement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just popped up on the BBC too. He sure went downhill fast.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/former-deputy-first-minister-of-northern-ireland-martin-mcguinness-has-died-35550616.html

It's sad. I don't know much about him, in truth, the doings of his earlier years, I mean, but thought that in the latter part of his life he strove tirelessly to be a peacemaker and force for good in an entrenched place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Rip mairtin, worked hard for peace in his later years and for derry all his life

Now watch the DUP make a complete mess of being respectful in his passing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Rest in the peace that you gained for us. Thank you Mr McGuinness.

It has been one rough week for the Donegal/Derry area. Danielle McLoughlin being murdered in Goa, Ryan McBride dying so young and now Martin McGuinness. So very sad for all their families and friends but also sad for our country to have lost such a hardworking man to whom we owe so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

For those who see things in black and white his life was the awkward grey that challenges us all.

RIP to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

A life of two half's. The latter half should be seen in a positive light, in that it was a shift towards politics & peace. Sixty six is too young for anybody to die nowadays!

PS; no need for that comment No 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

RIP

Definitely a Saul on the road to Damascus change in his life.

Did great work for the peace process and the love branch to Unionists.

Controversial past, but history will judge that.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

He always stood out and was never as backward as some of the opposition he was facing. What sucks now is you'll read about many pepple gloating about his death on various media especially abroad. RIP Mr. Guinness. You served your people well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Very interesting contrasts on Facebook. London's Evening Standard followers are all good riddance, murdering bastard, etc etc. The Journal, is all mostly praise for him.

Growing up in London, especially in the 90's, IRA threats were an often occurrence, and weather or not Mr McGuinness was directly involved, ie. pulling the trigger, either then or back in heights of the troubles in NI in the 80s, the work he has did tirelessly for the peace process since, and his popularity during the most recent presidential elections, has shown I think the change in people's views of him.

RIP Martin McGuinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Always HAS to be one in AH....?

Sometimes it's best to check some posters previous posts to determine if they deserve a reply. (Test it yourself on this person )

I was going to reply to the OP, after checking their history I chose not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I have no time for Sinn Fein and especially the lying piece of **** Adams, but you have to give McGuinness credit for being forward looking and willing to move on for the sake of the peace process. That fact that he never denied his involvement in the IRA stands to him and demonstrated that all is not black or white when it comes to people.
    You only have to see the impact the peace process has done as regards other terrorist organisations such as FARC and ETA who have finally recognised that the policital process is the way forward towards peace and their goals and this is in no small part to people like McGuiness, Hume and Major.
    Yes the IRA still exists but nowadays they're really only the Neanderthal scum who only care about lining their pockets from drug dealers etc.
    RIP Martin McGuinness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

RIP, A statesman in every sense of the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

I grew up safe in the south, as I think many commenting on here did, where there was no occupation, no soldiers on the streets. I lived north of the border for a while before the Peace Process, and saw the heavy pervasive machinery of occupation and felt the threat of guerrilla terrorism, of which I am no supporter. But i know that my good brothers might have taken up arms had they lived in Derry in the 70s, so I cannot in all honesty deny that i recognise part of my soul in the Republican Martin McGuinness. What he did later, working with Ian Paisley (often joyfully, it seemed), managing to rub along with Peter Robinson, shaking the Queen's hand, the symbol of the forces who had killed his fellow city men, chiseling out peace in a land where neighbours loathed each other not so long ago, was brave and symbolic and powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

You have to laugh at the British establishment being interviewed and calling McGuiness a coward and a murderer when the Brits were sending death squads to NI to murder innocent Catholics. McGuinness must have done something right to upset so many horrible people who were stuck up Thatchers hole.

You have to laugh at the British establishment being interviewed and calling McGuiness a coward and a murderer...

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

He was honest about his past, he brought more of the more hardline republicans into the peace process and he made a lot of efforts to reach out to the unionist community. History will judge him kindly and I bet we'll be surprised at the people coming out of the woodwork to give him praise. Don't forget Nelson Mandela led a bombing campaign, was called a terrorist and later acted as a peacemaker.

Link?

Lord Tibbett or whatever his name is was just on GMB

-edit - in fairness his wife was crippled by a bomb so understandable he hates MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

While I don't agree with how he put it, his point is correct given how the other death threads mentioned went.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Genuinely saddened by this

RIP Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Slan Martin, ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Oh, there'll be more than one, I can assure you. Look on the bright side, it gives one an indication of how to put on one's block list. There is no reasoning with the Cruiserite foaming-at-the-mouth brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Terrorist, murdering scumbag?

Yeah, definitely - but he always struck me as someone you could trust - that if he gave his word he'd honour it.

He also struck me as one of the very few politicians on the island who had some core of truth about him - whether you agreed with his central beliefs or not at least you could guarantee he'd remain faithful to them and not ditch them for reasons of political expediency........unlike the rest of the slieveens in his party.

He'll be lionised beyond what is both decent and right, but I'd say the Irish political landscape just became a lot duller for his passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,925 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RIP Martin, worked unselfishly and tirelessly for lasting peace all his life and achieved it.
    A huge miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You have to laugh at the British establishment being interviewed and calling McGuiness a coward and a murderer when the Brits were sending death squads to NI to murder innocent Catholics. McGuinness must have done something right to upset so many horrible people who were stuck up Thatchers hole.
    Huh? What are you talking about?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Huh? What are you talking about?

Well I live in England and some of the papers are making vile comments TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

His early life and the IRA campaigns were reprehensible but his achievements in working towards peace and working alongside his foes to achieve that are admirable. His warm personal relationship with Ian Paisley humanised Paisley.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Lord Tibbett or whatever his name is was just on GMB

-edit - in fairness his wife was crippled by a bomb so understandable he hates MM

Well indeed most of us hated MMG with a passion (back then) in the former half of his life . . . but that was then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement