Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Martin McGuinness

Options
1323334353638»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

flutered wrote: »
    inreresting, as i got a pm and a wrap on the knuckles for useing that term, does the same justice apply to all

Some of you seem to think you're in the Politics Cafe. You're not, and there is no such rule in AH. Any more commenting on moderation will result in infractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Jawgap wrote: »
    Would you agree that concern for children should extend to reporting abuse in a very timely fashion if/when you become aware of it?

Ask Michael Noonan

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/michael-noonan-aware-of-abuse-claims-in-1996-380137.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Are jokes not even allowed anymore?

Are we censoring what people are allowed say now?

Haven't we learned anything from the Charlie hedbo attempt to silence people?

I don't personally find the humour funny in this thread and I would never go down that route personally but noone should be silenced.

Wow. That's some class A deflection right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Wow. That's some class A deflection right there.

Deflection from what? It's about as relevant to this thread as any of the twaddle posted by jawgap over the last few pages

• Advertisement

Deflection from what? It's about as relevant to this thread as any of the twaddle posted by jawgap over the last few pages

Ok:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Well I dind't know it was Free Derry Corner (how would I from the photo?) - I do now having gone off and read a bit about the mural.

Why wouldn't Sands be celebrated in vicinity of Free Derry Corner anyway? I'm sure there's some tribal reason that makes perfect sense up there, but totally defies logic for any other society that has progress beyond 1800.

You knew what you were doing. You and the people who thanked you have lost the moral highground about the IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,921 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Are jokes not even allowed anymore?

Are we censoring what people are allowed say now?

Haven't we learned anything from the Charlie hedbo attempt to silence people?

I don't personally find the humour funny in this thread and I would never go down that route personally but noone should be silenced.

Joke away. I just find it objectionable that somebody would use a dead child, and a dead hunger striker as a means to 'make a joke' about nothing of any substance really even though the pretence was made that they were trying to raise more serious issues. It was a cheap nasty 'joke' on an RIP thread.

But that is just me. My objection is made, if you think it was ok, carry on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Last chance. Get back on topic and quit the bickering or the thread will be closed for good.

Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

No, I thought it was a Bobby Sands mural - that's why I asked about the skirt.

Until her name was mentioned I had no idea it was the Annette McGavigan so how could I have made a joke about her :confused:

Between this and the concept of "memory defilement" Shinners really are into the whole concept of thought crime........

I'm sure ye did. I believe that you didn't know what the mural was but I'd be certain that you knew rightly it wasn't Bobby Sands.

Ignorance is no excuse for making a flippant and distasteful remark in an attempt to be funny. The fact the you got likes off the back of it suggests that some others also found this funny.

Saunter on with your 'I didn't know' excuses.

Edit: Just seen the mod post above. Apologies for contuning OT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭DrWu

circadian wrote: »
    I'm sure ye did. I believe that you didn't know what the mural was but I'd be certain that you knew rightly it wasn't Bobby Sands.

Ignorance is no excuse for making a flippant and distasteful remark in an attempt to be funny. The fact the you got likes off the back of it suggests that some others also found this funny.

Saunter on with your 'I didn't know' excuses.

Edit: Just seen the mod post above. Apologies for contuning OT.

Give it up people. The poster clearly didn't know who it was, the background behind it etc. Too many posters making a meal of it. Jeez I never knew SF supporters were so sensitive. Wish you guys were around during the 70's, 80's and 90's. Maybe the Provo's could have been persuaded to murder less people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭Stars and Stripes

The mural is of Annette McGavigan and you did make a joke of Annette McGavigan. No amount of smileys is going to change that for you.
    It's just the FG/FF/LP boys miffed that Martin McGuinness would get such international respect including a former US President :). And here is the ANC -

"The ANC enjoys longstanding fraternal ties with Sinn Fein and is saddened at the news of the passing of a man who played a key role in the Irish Republican movement and the peace process,” the party said in a statement issued late Wednesday.

“Sinn Fein was a trusted ally of the ANC during apartheid and its leaders stood steadfastly by our movement in support of our struggle for liberation,” said the statement attributed to Edna Molewa, Chairperson of the ANC NEC SubCommittee on International Relations.

“The ANC has always been humbled by the example set by Sinn Fein in transitioning from the trenches of warfare to the assumption of political leadership.”

As a former commander of the Irish Republican Army (IRA) and Sinn Fein political leader, McGuinness played an instrumental role in bringing Sinn Fein, Britain, Ireland and the political parties of Northern Ireland to the negotiating table – resulting in the Good Friday Agreement of 1998.

The Good Friday agreement brought peace to the region following decades of sectarian violence.

McGuinness was the deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland from 2007 through January 2017, previously serving as Minister of Education in the Northern Ireland Executive (1999-2002) and stood for the Presidency of Ireland in 2011.

The ANC, which described the late Sinn Fein leader as a “comrade” added: “McGuinness will forever be remembered as a man of moral courage, as a unifier, and as ‘a force for change’. It is testimony to this legacy that tributes have been paid to him from across the political spectrum”.

http://citizen.co.za/news/news-national/1465339/anc-extends-condolences-sinn-fein-passing-martin-mcguinness/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This thread should be finished now should it not.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Yes.

Continuing to ignore mod warnings, bickering and no real topic anymore.

Thread Closed.

301q0rd.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement