Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Martin McGuinness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,260 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Just a snapshot of some of the mourners at Martin's funeral.

mW9MSY.jpg

Have I seen this somewhere before?
    It was ultimately the bomb and the bullet that brought everyone around the table, and hammered out the deal they reached.

I have heard people say for years about how the campaign should have been a peaceful one, but we all know the way peaceful protests were dealt with up there.

History will be kind to McGuinness etc. In fact, we can already get a glimpse of how popular he was, by many people, from many walks of life.

Here it is.

Martin-McGuinness-Funeral-20_-Lewis.jpg

Ah yes, here it is, why did you post it again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

blanch152 wrote: »

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,114 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's a crime to repost a stunning photo of the funeral of the person the thread is about - who knew!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

And you were so upset by it you re-posted it again twice!

It's a crime to repost a stunning photo of the funeral of the person the thread is about - who knew!

Never said it was a crime, just thought it a bit strange.

• Advertisement

Never said it was a crime, just thought it a bit strange.

Tell us what was strange about it. People hang pictures on their walls that they find stunning and compelling so that they can look at them ALL the time. They also show people pictures too. Strange eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

**posts two different pictures**

I bet you were shìte at "spot the difference" pictures in your younger days too.

I bet you were shìte at "spot the difference" pictures in your younger days too.

Only noticing now it's a different pic. :D

Blanch needs to go to specsavers.

:D

Blanch needs to go to specsavers.

:D

And stay away from the great photography thread, more repeats in there than on BBC 4. :) strange people!

• Advertisement

Even stranger to collect two photographs of the same scene. I suppose it takes all types.

Even stranger to collect two photographs of the same scene. I suppose it takes all types.

You never told us what was 'strange' about finding an image compelling. Do try.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭DrWu

You are aware of the existence of allusion in writing? Like 'battle hardened' does not actually mean you have fought in military campaigns nor 'war weary' mean you are weary of war? :rolleyes:

I think delusion is the word you're looking for.

Trenches of warfare! And there was Marty scuttling around NI like a rat, planning bombs in shopping centres, hotels and pubs. Some hero, he wasn't even a man.

You never told us what was 'strange' about finding an image compelling. Do try.

An aerial shot of a funeral compelling? Do explain?

DrWu wrote: »
    I think delusion is the word you're looking for.

Trenches of warfare! And there was Marty scuttling around NI like a rat, planning bombs in shopping centres, hotels and pubs. Some hero, he wasn't even a man.

What about those guys that drop devastating bombs from 20,000 feet and scuttle off home to die in bed?
    War/conflict is nasty stuff, but only one side involved in the conflict/war here is still bombing and killing people. The British.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭DrWu

What about those guys that drop devastating bombs from 20,000 feet and scuttle off home to die in bed?
    War/conflict is nasty stuff, but only one side involved in the conflict/war here is still bombing and killing people. The British.

Meanwhile, back on topic...

An aerial shot of a funeral compelling? Do explain?

The sheer size of the crowd, the poignancy of the coffin being carried through his home area. Lots of things in that photo give pause for thought. It is part of the reason people go to the effort of getting up in an aircraft to get the pic. If nobody found it interesting they wouldn't.
    This is pretty basic stuff

So why 'strange'?

DrWu wrote: »
    Meanwhile, back on topic...

Predictable. I would allude to you making a trite 'assassination attempt' on the character of Martin McGuinness but you might take it literally. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Rip

Aye, that's why once upon a time, some fella somewhere took a pic of the Giant's Causeway, and that's the only one that's being doing the rounds ever since........

Look it old hand, you were too quick of your mark in an attempt to make a funny (in fact, I've never seen much from you in AH before, have you found your principles again?) Without copping the two, rather poignant pictures were completely different photos of the same event. :o

Bifocals lad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Just a snapshot of some of the mourners at Martin's funeral.

mW9MSY.jpg

Why is Bobby Sands wearing a skirt on that mural?

Jawgap wrote: »

That is a mural(The Death of Innocence) of Annette McGavigan, the 100th victim of the Troubles and the first child. She was shot in the back of the head, by a soldier while in her school uniform.
    No one was ever charged and no investigation carried out.

Another compelling aspect of the picture.

That is a mural(The Death of Innocence) of Annette McGavigan, the 100th victim of the Troubles and the first child. She was shot in the back of the head, by a soldier while in her school uniform.
    No one was ever charged and no investigation carried out.

Another compelling aspect of the picture.

not according to the CAIN database......but whatever.

Do the 'RA paint murals depicting the children they killed? Or do only the poor kids shot/killed/blew up by the security forces get used for propaganda purposes commemorated in this way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Optics, its all about the optics.

Republicans are very good at optics & soundbites.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Optics, its all about the optics.

Republicans are very good at optics & soundbites.

Except when Mary Lou and Martina voice them - two words for them....."voice coaching"

not according to the CAIN database......but whatever.

Do the 'RA paint murals depicting the children they killed? Or do only the poor kids shot/killed/blew up by the security forces get used for propaganda purposes commemorated in this way?

The 'RA' don't paint murals as far as I know.

You think a mural depicting the death of the first child in the troubles is 'RA' propaganda? Says more about you I think.

Does the broken gun mean anything to you? Or the notable absence of flags or provocative symbols?

But it reminds you of Bobby Sands. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Re: The Death of Innocence: Annette McGavigan

Just when you think things couldn't get any lower on this forum you make a joke about a dead child then get thanked for it.

The 'RA' don't paint murals as far as I know.

You think a mural depicting the death of the first child in the troubles is 'RA' propaganda? Says more about you I think.

Does the broken gun mean anything to you? Or the notable absence of flags or provocative symbols?

But it reminds you of Bobby Sands. :rolleyes:

Except, she wasn't the first child killed in the Troubles - but you know this because you already have access to CAIN.

.....and of course the 'RA don't paint murals :rolleyes: - but let's be pedantic, does anyone supportive of the 'RA paint murals commemorating kids in NI killed by the 'RA?

......and the broken rifle was a later addition - originally it was whole but it was rendered broken to reflect the lack of progress in the peace process at the time - so despite the absence of flags, its arguable the broken rifle is a political statement - in other words, propaganda.

Re: The Death of Innocence: Annette McGavigan

Just when you think things couldn't get any lower on this forum you make a joke about a dead child then get thanked for it.

It wasn't a joke it was a question about a mural - and thanks to the poster who provided the name I was able to go off and learn more about her, and the background to the mural - that led me to wonder if the 'RA or artists who produced this work ever commemorated kids killed in NI by the 'RA?

But you feel free to take all the umbridge you want :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

Except when Mary Lou and Martina voice them - two words for them....."voice coaching"
    There are people I do and don't admire in all political parties but Mary Lou is definitely not one of those I admire. I find the whinging and sanctimonious voice she always seems to use to be particularly off putting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement