Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical officer - Low pay - Dublin

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭daithi84

The test are only used as a shortlisting mechanism. Pass them, get ranked and a certain number are called for interview. The points system is no longer considered once interview stage is reached. Also not all grade 3 competitions are done through PAS and not all require online and in person tests to completed. It is an advantage to have a 3rd level qualification but not a necessity. Basically if it was a choice between 2 candidates for a job, all being equal the person with the 3rd level qualification would get it.

Recently we've had people with masters degrees applying for temp clerical officer jobs. With the increase in recruitment of higher grades or dissatisfaction with the low wage, they usually move on quick enough. For grade 3 jobs they should be targeting school leavers.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭mzn

daithi84 wrote: »
    The test are only used as a shortlisting mechanism. Pass them, get ranked and a certain number are called for interview. The points system is no longer considered once interview stage is reached. Also not all grade 3 competitions are done through PAS and not all require online and in person tests to completed. It is an advantage to have a 3rd level qualification but not a necessity. Basically if it was a choice between 2 candidates for a job, all being equal the person with the 3rd level qualification would get it.

Recently we've had people with masters degrees applying for temp clerical officer jobs. With the increase in recruitment of higher grades or dissatisfaction with the low wage, they usually move on quick enough. For grade 3 jobs they should be targeting school leavers.

Thank you, it seems that you have very excellent acknowledgment about screening for job for CO .
    so the annual salary will be 22K before taxes, and no other benefits associated with it for any one?

mzn wrote: »
    Thank you, it seems that you have very excellent acknowledgment about screening for job for CO .
    so the annual salary will be 22K before taxes, and no other benefits associated with it for any one?

I think the starting wage might be up to €23k now because there was a wage increase last year. Also with the new pay agreement it might be going up more from next year. You get flexi time (majority of places, not guaranteed) and if going for CS you get only 20-25 days annual leave and that increases with time served, while in the PS you get 30 days annual leave with 3 set aside for xmas period. Also note you will pay pension contributions and PRD deduction (partially refunded going forward with an element of it being made a permanent deduction).

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭mzn

daithi84 wrote: »
    I think the starting wage might be up to €23k now because there was a wage increase last year. Also with the new pay agreement it might be going up more from next year. You get flexi time (majority of places, not guaranteed) and if going for CS you get only 20-25 days annual leave and that increases with time served, while in the PS you get 30 days annual leave with 3 set aside for xmas period. Also note you will pay pension contributions and PRD deduction (partially refunded going forward with an element of it being made a permanent deduction).

So you mean 23K and probably 24k from next year plus other benefit ?

Second question if you got 25k with private sector with 1 yr contract (no benefits like health care or others permanent have access to them) and have co which job you will choose ? and if already worked in private sector will you quit and move to co ? please give me advice as you are aware about market

mzn wrote: »
    So you mean 23K and probably 24k from next year plus other benefit ?

Second question if you got 25k with private sector with 1 yr contract (no benefits like health care or others permanent have access to them) and have co which job you will choose ? and if already worked in private sector will you quit and move to co ? please give me advice as you are aware about market

Yeah maybe 24k next year, i havent looked into it in much detail.

Well with the CS you will be permanent after a 1 years probation so its up to you which job to go for. The take home pay will be less in the CS because of extra deductions. I'm not qualified to influence your decision. It all depends on what experience you want. The process of getting into the CS is long and drawn out and sometimes can take near a year so keep that in mind.

EDIT: Also note that CS don't get any healthcare. There are schemes you can join which offer a discount (usually through the credit union).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 binukp

Hi,

Do you mind to share which dept this was and location too if that is ok?

Heard from CO to EO will take around 5 years or more.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

You can apply for the EO open competition anytime it comes up and the interdepartmental after 2 years serving asca CO, where did you hear it takes 5 years? Say you were a CO for a year you could apply and if successful be on the EO panel after passing your interview.

thanks and i had that understanding from other threads around here. thanks for the update and that is promising. Any idea which department have more flexible wfh options as have a disabled boy to care as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It varies dept to dept and job to job

My old dept wax 1 day in. My current one , I'm in all week . Some have 1 or 2days. Revenue is WFH on the main .

"wfh options basically"

The vast majority offer blended working, there's a thread on here about which depts offer it and how many days etc, I think only Courts and Gardai don't offer it.

Advertisement