Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - Blended Working Survey

Options
  • 06-07-2023 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭

On the "Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?" thread, there have been a couple of surveys run (in July and October 2022) on what departments and civil/public service organisations are doing around blended working.

Rather than clog up that discussion thread with another survey and its results, I'm going to post the link to the latest survey here, along with the results when the survey is closed.

I'll also post the odd reminder/link on the original thread.

If you are a civil or public servant, please feel free to participate. Please feel free to share the link with friends/colleagues (preferably in different organisations). Please do not enter your name or email address - the survey doesn't ask for them and there will be no follow-up except on boards.

The survey is short, shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do.

Link to survey: https://forms.gle/Y4PDi9q2kofQYPWm7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Notes for next survey (i.e., the questions I only thought of or saw being brought up on the https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058196705/civil-service-post-lockdown-blended-working#latest ) after I'd posted the survey:

* Can you take your flexi leave when you want or must it be one of your WFH days?

* How strictly is the BWP enforced, and who by - e.g., line manager, section/division head, HR?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,943 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There isn't enough flexibility to cater for HR's fetish for endless reviews.

In our place there was a review recently and the policy has just been updated (anchor days being introduced 😥) but there is another review planned next year (spring, apparently)

So I had to answer "don't know" to the "when is the review to be published" question as there is no option for next year

My form is the one which mentions indoor voices 😉

Life ain't always empty.

The Blended Working Policy survey has 66 responses so far. Link here: https://forms.gle/xDWv8TTiFQuwvjJH6 if you haven't already taken part. I'll let it run until early next week before publishing the results.

The Blended Working Policy survey has 66 responses so far. Link here: https://forms.gle/xDWv8TTiFQuwvjJH6 if you haven't already taken part. I'll let it run until early next week before publishing the results.

Results!

The survey ran from 6 July until today. 105 responses were received between the 6th, and yesterday afternoon. Results in the next few posts (no idea what the character limit is!)

Part 1: General

Where are you working:

• CSO: 6
    • D/Agriculture, Food and the Marine: 1
    • D/Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth: 5
    • D/Defence: 1
    • D/Education: 4
    • D/Enterprise, Trade and Employment: 4 (one of those in Enterprise Ireland)
    • D/Environment, Climate and Communications: 6
    • D/Finance: 2
    • D/Foreign Affairs: 4
    • D/Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science: 4
    • D/Health: 3
    • D/Housing, Local Government and Heritage: 3
    • D/Justice: 5 (one of those in the International Protection Appeals Tribunal)
    • D/Public Expenditure and Reform: 1
    • D/Rural and Community Development: 3
    • D/Social Protection: 10
    • D/Taoiseach: 2
    • D/Transport: 2
    • Garda Civilian: 5
    • Local Authorities: 3 (one named Leitrim, the other two didn't state where)
    • NSSO/Peoplepoint: 1
    • Office of the Ombudsman: 2
    • OPW: 3
    • Revenue Commissioners: 14
    • Tailte Éireann (OSI/Property Registration/Valuation Office): 4
    • Other body with less than 500 staff (please specify in next question): 6
      • CSSO
      • Office of Government Procurement
      • Office of the DPP
      • PAS
      • Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission
      • (and one didn't specify where, so I'll leave that out of the other responses)
    • Other body with more than 500 staff (please specify in next question): 1 (which also didn't specify where, so I'll leave that out of the other responses)

• Advertisement

So the vast majority, it was 2022. Some don't knows and 2023 answers from places where others said 2022. Exceptions: D/Education & D/Further & Higher Education where answers were majority 'It still hasn't'/don't knows.

It still hasn't: Garda Civilian, all answers.

Part 2: Review

A good bit of confusion here - majority saying "The policy is subject to review after a trial period" with a minority in the same organisation saying "this is the definitive policy".

Exceptions: D/Housing, Local Government and Heritage - all said it's definitive.

I should have included 'Don't know' and 'not applicable' options for this one, sorry.

Again, some confusion here, with people in the one body saying, e.g., 'review has been completed', and others saying it hasn't started yet.

Definitive/notable answers were:

Review completed:

D/Enterprise, Trade and Employment (3 out of 4 answers);

D/Social Protection: 3 out of 10 answers

D/Transport: 2 out of 2 answers

D/Finance: 1 out of 2 answers

No real comment to add on this one (you could tick all answers that apply and a wide variety of answers were received)

Where several people indicated a review had been completed, it was:

More flexible:

Less flexible: D/Enterprise, Trade and Employment (1); D/Social Protection (2)

No change: D/Enterprise, Trade and Employment (3); D/Finance (1); D/Social Protection (3 (yes, more people said there was no change after the review than confirmed the review had completed); D/Transport (2)

• Advertisement

Again, just the results with a high degree of confirmation from participants in the one organisation:

Imminent: D/Agriculture, Food and the Marine (1);

End October:

Year end: CSO (3 answers); D/Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth (2)

Part 3: Blended Working

Again, I'm just going to post the answers with a high degree of correlation:

5 days:

4 days: D/Social Protection; NSSO/PeoplePoint; Revenue Commissioners; CSSO

3 days: CSO; D/Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth; D/Defence; D/Education; D/Enterprise, Trade and Employment; D/Environment, Climate and Communications; D/Finance; D/Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science; D/Health; D/Housing, Local Government and Heritage; D/Justice; D/Rural and Community Development; PAS;

2.5 days:D/Foreign Affairs; D/Transport; Office of the Ombudsman

2 days: Agriculture; D/Taoiseach; Local Authority (all 3); OGP; ODPP

1 day:

No option: Garda Civilian (3 answers - but 2 others saying 3 days WFH available!)

Tailte Éireann (OSI/Property Registration/Valuation Office merger) had 2 answers for 1 day and 2 for 3 days, but a comment pointed out it depends which predecessor you were/are working for).

Fixed day(s) where a whole section or sections must be in the office (but varies between sections) is used by over half of respondents. Don't think there's any need to go into detail on this one, unless anyone wants info on a specific employer?

Again, just going with 'high correlation' answers here.

I still have to attend the office for my minimum number of days: CSO;

I don't have to attend the office to work up to the usual number of days:D/Agriculture, Food and the Marine; D/Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth; D/Environment, Climate and Communications; D/Finance; D/Foreign Affairs; D/Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science; D/Public Expenditure and Reform; D/Rural and Community Development; D/Transport; Ombudsman; NSSO; Revenue

There were still 1 in 4 saying they still have to attend, so this does seem to be down to local management in a lot of places.

Don't think there's any need to go into detail on this one, unless anyone wants info on a specific employer?

Part 4: Flexi

Flexi isn't available if you're on blended working in:

D/Education (3 answers); D/Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science (3).

Again, only high correlation answers.

Can only work up time when in the office: CSO; D/Agriculture, Food and the Marine; D/Finance; D/Justice; D/Rural and Community Development; D/Social Protection; D/Taoiseach; Local Authority (all three); OPW; Office of Government Procurement; Office of the DPP; IHREC

Can work up time when WFH or when in the office: CSSO; D/Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth; D/Defence; D/Enterprise, Trade and Employment; D/Environment, Climate and Communications; D/Foreign Affairs; D/Health; D/Housing, Local Government and Heritage; D/Public Expenditure and Reform; D/Transport; NSSO/PeoplePoint; Office of the Ombudsman; PAS; Revenue Commissioners

Post edited by TaurenDruid on

General comments left by respondents:

CSO: Our blended working pilot is to run for 12 months, but there is no mention of any review in the documentation. Flexi can only be worked up in office, but only taken against WFH days.

D/Education: Totally down to line managers in my organisation, massive differences between departments. Our line manager is anal and by the book whereas other departments were told fill the form but do as you wish once the work is done.

D/Education: As there is no policy yet, units are operating on their own. My unit is 2 days in office on average (some weeks 4, some weeks 1 - small unit so we can be very flexible). PO doesn't care hugely once work done and meetings covered. Other units much more strict. Will be hoping for similar flexibility whenever the final version is approved. 

D/Enterprise, Trade and Employment: Our updated blended working policy was only released last week, the days wfh/in the office haven't changed but they have requested an anchor day of once a week and a divisional day of once a month, it hasn't been implemented yet in my section 

D/Enterprise, Trade and Employment: Officially we are supposed to still do 2 days WFO even if short week / leave, but this is not enforced at all. Staff can pick whatever WFO days they want and don't have to reserve / book and can change at will. Decidedly not looking forward to anchor days as some people have completely forgotten what an "indoor voice" is since covid! I try to schedule my WFO days to avoid the worst of them.

D/Enterprise, Trade and Employment (Enterprise Ireland): Good policy but finding it hard to attend office two days as job is 100 per cent digitalised finding it hard to see the point in computing none of my team are based with me in my location 

D/Environment, Climate and Communications: Our team charter is very flexible regarding the anchor day. If you are required to travel, attend a meeting for majority of the day or training this is counted as a day in the office. As a result I may only be in 3 times a month instead of 2 days a week

D/Foreign Affairs: While blended working is common in Dublin the norm on posting is for staff to be in 4/5 days a week due to the nature of work.

D/Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science: Dfheris is following Dept of Educations lead because HR is still a shared service provided by Education and they have tied Flexi accrual into the blended working policy which hasn't been agreed. It seems there is serious resentment amongst senior management towards any Flexi accrual. Flexi accrual is available if you work full time in the office but in certain buildings there aren't even enough desks for people.

D/Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science: Draft policy published in April 2022, mentions moving to 3 days. 

D/Justice: Total crap in PS

D/Justice: There needs to be Civil Service wide consistency in the application of blended working.

D/Public Expenditure and Reform: While I enjoy where I work, three days in the office is one too many with my commute, and when there are other options out there. I'll be on the lookout for transfers when the time comes.

D/Rural and Community Development: Currently on 3 days WFH - review due in September and heard talk of an additional day per month the whole dept would attend but this isn’t confirmed 

D/Social Protection: DSP different terms for all different teams and grades. Eg 4 days wfh for nicc and npt 2 days wfh for most other teams (2 days wfh confined to co and eo, HEO only allowed 1 day wfh).

D/Social Protection: My section is 1 day a week in the office, this was revised from 4 days a month. I am unaware of what other sections are doing but I do know my section has comparatively generous wfh allowances.

D/Social Protection: The fact the local HR have the power to refuse WFH and Flexi while WFH has caused much resentment in our particular office (DSP). Our HEO is a control freak who never seeks or welcomes feedback and as a result over half our (rather small) office are now on mobility list, simply based on this issue alone. Forsa need to get the finger out and fight for fairness for ALL workers, not leave everything up to 'Local HR'. WFH policy has become dependent on the whims of local management under the guise of ' business needs' and it is fundamentally unfair to a large consort of workers, who are being denied the benefits other civil servants are entitled to. It's a bloody mess.

D/Social Protection: I work in NPT in DSP, I feel that management are trying to bring us back to the office by putting more emphasis on stats, performance etc.

D/Transport: We’re supposed to work 2 days one week then 3 the next. Most people in the review begged them to get rid of that fifth day (it’s not an anchor day as such, supposed to be entire unit attends) as it is especially pointless but our pleas were ignored. Thanks for putting the survey together!

Garda Civilian: Not an option at all in AGS [This seems to be contradicted by other Garda Civilian responses]

Garda Civilian: No customer contact paperless office but no wfh at all

Local Authority (uns[pecified): Staff retention & recruitment becoming a big issue as better wfh available & worksharing open to all staff elsewhere. Existing staff spend time training new staff who don't stay & then are under huge pressure to keep jobs going.

Redacted: Fairly new to the Department so as for whether this is the final policy or not I'm not sure. If we have to come in for a mandatory Department meeting direct manager will allow us swap if it's not one of our usual days but we keep it quiet as the higher ups would prefer us to work an extra day

DPP: My office allows up to 2 wfh days but certain sections allow less (including my own, ridiculous as it’s a section where wfh worked well)

Other body (unspecified): The agreement is 50% over 2 weeks so if there is a holiday or you are on leave for one of the WFO days, in theory you need to come in another day or part day to make the 50% but this isn’t currently being monitored. And most are interpreting it as you don’t need to make it up, so interesting to see if this becomes an issue at some point.

Revenue Commissioners: There was a survey for all staff in June which included questions re blended working. Normally these surveys would also be sent to your personal email if you have provided it. I was on leave when the survey was undertaken but did not receive it. 

Revenue Commissioners: I manage approx 20-30 staff. Majority are following the rules and come in on the anchor day. If someone is sick, but fit for work, I would rather they WFH then come into the office. But if staff need to be at home on an anchor day due to personal reasons and I would ask that they attend another day, but we should try to all come in the same day. 1 or 2 pull the piss, which pisses off the rest of the staff. They think they're being cute about it, but they're not. How they do not realise that if everyone pulled the piss, it would screw the whole thing up and upper management would make us come in more days!

Revenue Commissioners: The BW policy was published last September, we had until October to submit our applications to agree BW pattern, e.g. 2 days a week, 2 days a month. This was down to the POs to agree along with their APs on who was allowed do what, so can vary by unit within a branch, not just division. Mainly depends on the type of work you are doing but also some APs taking a pragmatic approach with commute distances, family/personal circumstances, etc. I had agreed officially 2 days a month, it's not really enforced but depending on how busy we are there will usually be things happening requiring people in the office anyway so it evens itself out over time. 

Tailte Eireann: Registration Division only allows staff one day a week to wfh. The OSI and Valuation divisions allow 2-3 days a week to wfh. Very frustrating for all of us in the registration division. 50% of people leaving the registration division are doing so because of the limited wfh. I myself am looking to leave tailte in the near future because of this

Tailte Eireann: as we are a merger of 3 companies - I believe there is quite varying differences in WFH available. I believe the Property section has zero for example.

And several comments of "Love it!"

And that's it!

So, like the October and previous July survey, there are a lot of different answers from people working for the same employer. Sometimes that's perfectly understandable, like Tailte Éireann's merger, or places with large/busy public counters. Some differences also down to arrangements being very local, it appears!

I think one conclusion that can be drawn is that people need to talk to each other more - whether that's via unions or Partnership Committees (where they still exist), it's clear different things are being done in some offices despite (or because of!) official policies. Best example being AGS, where Garda Civilians have no access to blended working. Except for the ones that do.

(Just to note, I have no access to any identifying information from respondents. Emails/IP addresses weren't recorded. No validation was done - answers were taken on good faith).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,542 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Fair play for putting all that together. Interesting how many local arrangements there are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭raheny red

Starting Monday, Dept. of Education bringing Flexi back for time spent working in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,943 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

How generous of them 🙄

The massive variation of T&Cs between departments because of - what, exactly? - cannot be justified but the union is doing nothing.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭CMR23

How do people find Dept of Children with respect to above?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Any know what WFH is like in Revenue? Just got offered a position. How long do you have to wait to get WFH?

3 days WFH available and you can work up flexi from both office and when WFH, so seems decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I believe Courts offices have no WFH option at least not for COs (I work with an ex CO from there)

Post edited by Technocentral on

Advertisement