Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steps to get good friday alcohol ban overturned.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Beyondgone wrote: »
    The off-kilter part of my brain says that the powers that be only agreed to this now because it panders to the agenda of wiping away any religious/cultural events from the calendar. "Happy Holidays!" and all that. "The Beige-ing Olympics" as I think of it. How fast can we homogenise the entire world under the banner of "consumers" as opposed to "cultures".

I could be well off my box on that one though.

That's some leap. Meanwhile back in the real world, that has nothing to do with the alcohol ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Peregrine wrote: »
    That's some leap. Meanwhile back in the real world, that has nothing to do with the alcohol ban.

I did mention the "off kilter" bit. :)

It's the "soon to be ex" alcohol ban. Which is good, right? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,964 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So Is official that pubs will open on good friday from 2018 or is it just a proposed bill going to Senate that everyone thinks will be passed ???

What if they pass it and say 'on GF alcohol prices will have a slight increase of €2/€3' or opening hours will be from say 2pm- 10.30pm ??

Doesn't matter too me either way as I don't go out that much

Some people adore there Bank holidays and swear if they don't go out the world will end lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Why are the independents trying to get the alcohol ban on Good Friday lifted but not Christmas Day? They're both here because of the same religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So Is official that pubs will open on good friday from 2018 or is it just a proposed bill going to Senate that everyone thinks will be passed ???

What if they pass it and say 'on GF alcohol prices will have a slight increase of €2/€3' or opening hours will be from say 2pm- 10.30pm ??

Doesn't matter too me either way as I don't go out that much

Some people adore there Bank holidays and swear if they don't go out the world will end lol

Good Friday is not a bank holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭worded

jackwigan wrote: »
    Good Friday is April 14th. Today is March 17th. You have nearly a month to prepare.

My advice on Thursday the 16th of March go into an off-licence. Buy enough alcohol to last you during Friday. Problem solved, you're welcome.

*Note: This also works for Christmas

You make it sound so easy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Your suffering is nearly done tho. :) They're doing away with the God Dryday alcohol ban.

People will probably nostalgically remember it as a night of good parties.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It's the "soon to be ex" alcohol ban. Which is good, right? :)

If the ban is lifted, it would be good. It's the way it should have been.

If you mean actually buying alcohol on Good Friday, I wouldn't find anything particularly good about it. It's just a Friday. And the chances of me buying alcohol on that day, as any other day, would be fairly low too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Im not religious but I am pro days off work so if a get extra time off work because of some religion thing, I'm happy

Peregrine wrote: »

In your opinion, I would add.

Unless the Budda has suddenly endowed you with special levels of enlightenment beyond mere mortals. My guess is as good as yours on ^that. Possibly better, even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Mr.H wrote: »
    I have a huge problem with a church which I have no affiliation, dictating how I live my life.

The Church is not dictating it ., it didn't particularly push for it in the first place and indeed there is no alcohol ban in Vatican city

Mr.H wrote: »
    My issue is with the minority that are likely to call Joe Duffy and complain that we are all going to go to hell if we serve drink on good friday. The problem is many of these types are in the Dail.

These are the types who brought it in 1927 , "holier than thou " types .

In parts of Australia and New Zealand people can't blame the Catholic church and so they are having trouble getting their Good Friday and Easter Sunday bans repealed

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Wheety wrote: »
    Good Friday is not a bank holiday.

It actually is.

It's not a public holiday though and this is what confuses some people.

murpho999 wrote: »
    It actually is.

It's not a public holiday though and this is what confuses some people.

Bl00dy Bankers and their extra days off..:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

If it's removed it will really unsettle the new religious cons who want to defend the cultural accretions of religion in society. They need the cover of being able to claim culture or people's will to protect the empire their grandfathers and great grandfathers foisted on this state. Once their threadbare self serving arguments are set aside then people get the freedom to live lives of their own choosing, not the diktat of the priest or the great grandfather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Quick question - in restaurants on GF why don't they just advertise free bottle of wine/pint of beer with food and just up the price of the food ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Quick question - in restaurants on GF why don't they just advertise free bottle of wine/pint of beer with food and just up the price of the food ?

Genius.....no?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'm not sure but I actually think it's illegal to be in a licensed premises on Good Friday regardless if they are selling beer or not.

Also, pricing would be way off then for somebody who does not want drink.

There are also laws against alcohol promotions in pubs and restaurants. No happy hours etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Or in pubs?

Pack of crisps: 70c.

Pack of crisps with complimentary pint: 5.70

Why should anyone have to do such bull**** to get around religious mania.

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Why should anyone have to do such bull**** to get around religious mania.

Well because it is the law of the land right at this point in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

Steps to get good friday alcohol ban overturned.

There are 12 steps, I believe....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Christy42

SPDUB wrote: »
    The Church is not dictating it ., it didn't particularly push for it in the first place and indeed there is no alcohol ban in Vatican city

These are the types who brought it in 1927 , "holier than thou " types .

In parts of Australia and New Zealand people can't blame the Catholic church and so they are having trouble getting their Good Friday and Easter Sunday bans repealed

Right well if it is not religious can you give a reason for the ban to be on the Friday before the second Sunday after the first full moon of the year (or whatever weird way it is worked out).

It is in there because of religious reasons. People go round the bend trying to argue that it isn't but it would not be on such a weird day if the reasoning was not religious.

No one should have to do such bull****. It's days are numbered.

I would think that once upon a time it began because of religious reasons ie CD and GF, the birth and death of Jesus being regarded as sacred days but am not sure it is still there for religious reasons. I'm really not sure a country that is independent enough from the CC to vote in same sex marriage can pretend to be still controlled by the church. Imo it stays because most people don't actually mind or are happy enough with the current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Christy42

I would think that once upon a time it began because of religious reasons ie CD and GF, the birth and death of Jesus being regarded as sacred days but am not sure it is still there for religious reasons. I'm really not sure a country that is independent enough from the CC to vote in same sex marriage can pretend to be still controlled by the church. Imo it stays because most people don't actually mind or are happy enough with the current situation.

It was introduced for religious reasons. Therefore it is there due to religion. End of really.

We should examine our laws and ensure they would all be brought in today and not just there due to the status quo which is a mind numbingly ridiculously stupid reason to keep a law.

Gay marriage does not mean we should let other religious laws stay and assume they are not religious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

This is great. I hope we can take the next big step now and allow pubs to open and let the customers in on Christmas Day too like they do in the UK.

Law of the land because why? A book from 3000 years ago? :confused: Some spanner in 2090 is going to be worshipping pigs, because Peppa was large in the 20 teens. People revere history. However mad that history is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Law of the land because why? A book from 3000 years ago? :confused: Some spanner in 2090 is going to be worshipping pigs, because Peppa was large in the 20 teens. People revere history. However mad that history is.

Ya mean a fable :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Christy42 wrote: »
    Right well if it is not religious can you give a reason for the ban to be on the Friday before the second Sunday after the first full moon of the year (or whatever weird way it is worked out).

It is in there because of religious reasons. People go round the bend trying to argue that it isn't but it would not be on such a weird day if the reasoning was not religious.

Where did I say it wasn't brought in because of a religious reason .

I just said it wasn't pushed by the church .

As I said it was pushed by some "holier than thou" types , who wanted to show they were better catholics than the church .

The same type of people who got some films banned in this country which had the "Catholic league of Decency" seal of approval in the USA .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Jesus the new atheist is a special sort of snowflake. Oh boo hoo the angelus. Oh boo hoo good Friday.

And it's all about drink. The radical Irish demand for more drinking time. Anti traditionalists in Ireland who want more drinking time.

Advertisement